Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

What are you currently reading? Post here!

• Please log in to reply
3746 replies to this topic

#3661 gamingpenguin

gamingpenguin

CAG Newbie

• CAG in Training

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:11 AM

Mastery by Robert Greene, and Be Here Now by Ram Dass.  Both are amazing books.

small.png

#3662 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:05 PM

Among Others by Jo Walton

8706185.jpg

it's a little feminine, but the writing is good so far.

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#3663 bobo2k4

bobo2k4

OooSplendiforous

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:16 PM

Pacific Rim

Loved the movie and already read the prequel graphic novel.

Posted Image
Props to Ozzkev for the sig.

#3664 SneakyPenguin

SneakyPenguin

Agent of SHIELD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:50 PM

Finished up The Stars My Destination a few days ago (abrupt ending much?).  Grabbed my copy of Magician: Master by Raymond Feist on the way to the bus.  Still trying to remember all of what happened in Apprentice.

By four o'clock I've discounted suicide in favor of killing everyone else in the entire world instead.

#3665 GhostShark

GhostShark

The Drunken Whaler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:51 PM

Among Others by Jo Walton

8706185.jpg

it's a little feminine, but the writing is good so far.

Among Others is one of the most beautifully written science fiction and magical realist novels I've ever read. I gave it to about 10 people last year as Christmas gifts. 

Posted Image

Stinging Death To All Enemies

#3666 Kerouac

Kerouac

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2013 - 12:37 PM

I finished Count Zero this morning. Now, it's on to Mona Lisa Overdrive.

Count Zero (very good)

41txGhbdIgL._SY346_PJlook-inside-v2,TopR

51hO8kWsL4L._SY346_PJlook-inside-v2,TopR

Trade List Games & DLC

Resells: Spec Ops The Line $2

GAMESHARE PHANTOMS:  Catherine $4 Tomb Raider $5 Darksiders II + DLC $5 Disney Brave - $5 Storm - $1 Transformers: Fall of Cybertron - $5 Rayman Legends - $8.50 NBA 2K14 $7

PS+ $40

#3667 NeedleInTheHay

NeedleInTheHay

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 August 2013 - 06:28 AM

Invisible Monsters Remixed

#3668 jlarlee

jlarlee

Tigers love pepper.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:56 PM

Mainly because of all the buzz in here I read Ready Player One and ended up really liking it. Like a futuristic dystopian video game da vinci code

Anybody got any recommendations on similar books?

Posted Image

#3669 Chief Keef

Chief Keef

GBE 3hunna

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 August 2013 - 06:21 AM

About to start reading Drawing of the Three by Stephen King. I been hype about starting this because I enjoyed the first book in the epic series.

I got racks up in my pocket racks up in my pocket

I got thots all in my phone callin me bitch stop it

1400 for this belt this aint no damn versace

and I smokin on this dope while I been gettin money

50s 100s 20s oh my goodness

I need my money machine to count this shit for me

#3670 GrooThePerverted

GrooThePerverted

AKA Martin Tupper

• CAG Veteran

Posted 17 August 2013 - 07:36 AM

I recently finished reading Questlove's memoir "Mo Meta Blues" which was pretty cool.  Nice insight into a major music player and some behind the scenes goodies as well.

Also read for what seems like the millionth time, Mario Puzo's "The Fourth K" which is one of my all time favorite books. 

Set in present day when the fourth Kennedy is elected President, "Francis Xavier Kennedy".  On Easter Sunday the Pope is assassinated and the President's daughter is kidnapped and flown to a fictional Middle Eastern country.   Everything just goes crazy from there. lol.

Currently I'm in the early going of this book here which is not a fun book to read, due to the content, but I think is an important one.

5504848339_68ac81e8d0.jpg

#3671 GrooThePerverted

GrooThePerverted

AKA Martin Tupper

• CAG Veteran

Posted 17 August 2013 - 07:37 AM

About to start reading Drawing of the Three by Stephen King. I been hype about starting this because I enjoyed the first book in the epic series.

That whole series is fantastic.  The 1st book, to me, was a bit slow and plodding.  Probably because it was almost entirely two people involved in a chase.  The other books all involve more characters and are more interesting.  Drawing of the Three is definitely one of the best of all of them.

#3672 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:07 PM

I really liked the first 4 books in the Dark Tower series, but was pretty underwhelmed by the last 3--though I did like the ending.

On a related note, I finished Under the Dome last week--thought it was just ok.  Well written, decent characters, but the plot really didn't go anywhere.

Now reading:

51Ik13iNM7L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-stic

3DS Friend Code: 2595-0524-8826

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#3673 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 September 2013 - 03:41 PM

Finished Degrees of Freedom and the Petrovich trilogy.

10511586.jpg

Will start Alchemy of Stone when I get back to work Monday.

2412562.jpg

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#3674 SneakyPenguin

SneakyPenguin

Agent of SHIELD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:07 AM

Finished Magician last week and picked up The Thief Of Always by Clive Barker.  I had read it when I was much younger but wanted to go through again.  I actually ended up finishing it entirely while waiting in lines at PAX.  Started on Siddhartha by Herman Hesse.  Slow going to far.

By four o'clock I've discounted suicide in favor of killing everyone else in the entire world instead.

#3675 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

Look at that deal. It's so great!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:21 PM

clockers-book-cover.jpeg
Great book. I saw the trailer for the movie and didn't like Strike's look, as opposed to how he's described in the book. Then again, nobody's thinking Rocco Klein would be Harvey Keitel either.

Batsugunner.png

#3676 SneakyPenguin

SneakyPenguin

Agent of SHIELD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:31 PM

Finished Siddhartha on the bus this morning and picked up my copy of The Sailor Who Fell From Grace With The Sea by Yukio Mishima.  I bought it on a whim years ago and finally decided to get through it.

#3677 GhostShark

GhostShark

The Drunken Whaler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:40 PM

Angels and Insects by A.S. Byatt

Posted Image

#3678 Dnipro Cojiro

Dnipro Cojiro

I hate this name now! AaAaAaA!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:56 AM

Posts on CAG, man it feels like the books never ending...

#3679 SweetP1983

SweetP1983

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:30 AM

I'm reading the Peace Warrior Trilogy. Just got done with book 2. Definitely a great sci-fi read.
135068.png]

#3680 Monkah

Monkah

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:45 AM

I just started Abaddon's Gate by James S.A. Corey.  If you like space operas, you should give this trilogy a read!

#3681 Dnipro Cojiro

Dnipro Cojiro

I hate this name now! AaAaAaA!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2013 - 01:51 PM

Vale of the Vole by Piers Anthony was pretty damn good for someone like me who almost never reads. Now thinking about it I should look up the sequel.

#3682 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:12 PM

Vale of the Vole by Piers Anthony was pretty damn good for someone like me who almost never reads. Now thinking about it I should look up the sequel.

Once you've read one of those Xanth books, you've read them all. They're all nearly idential only with a different main character.

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#3683 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:50 PM

Made it through the second half of Clash of Kings a few weeks ago and just finished Storm of Swords yesterday.

Started on A Feast For Crows right afterwards.

#3684 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:05 PM

Cold Granite by Stuart MacBride.

1770869.jpg

Seems like a pretty generic police procedural by the numbers book so far.

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#3685 bobo2k4

bobo2k4

OooSplendiforous

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:37 PM

book_thmb_fearless_250x360.jpg

Fearless

Great story about how Adam Brown overcame drugs and became a Navy Seal.

Posted Image
Props to Ozzkev for the sig.

#3686 SneakyPenguin

SneakyPenguin

Agent of SHIELD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:38 PM

Got through The Sailor Who Fell From Grace With The Sea yesterday on the bus.  Decided it was high time to finish the original Foundation Trilogy so I picked up my copy of Second Foundation.

I'm actually wondering how my reading will hold up now that I won't be taking the bus anymore.

#3687 Kerouac

Kerouac

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:05 PM

Got through The Sailor Who Fell From Grace With The Sea yesterday on the bus.  Decided it was high time to finish the original Foundation Trilogy so I picked up my copy of Second Foundation.

I'm actually wondering how my reading will hold up now that I won't be taking the bus anymore.

For several years I had a 160 minute round trip commute via my car. I joined Audible and would listen to books. It definitely takes some getting used to & the pace is slower than that of reading. It does pass the time though.

I recently completed the Sprawl Trilogy (Excellent)

I finished A Princess of Mars. It was good. I had planned on reading the entire series, but I will come back to it. 

I think I am going to switch gears and finish The Looming Tower. I have also started reading The Rise & Fall of the Third Reich

51USOQW90sL._SY346_PJlook-inside-v2,TopR

51ePJSYUEBL._SY346_PJlook-inside-v2,TopR

Trade List Games & DLC

Resells: Spec Ops The Line $2

GAMESHARE PHANTOMS:  Catherine $4 Tomb Raider $5 Darksiders II + DLC $5 Disney Brave - $5 Storm - $1 Transformers: Fall of Cybertron - $5 Rayman Legends - $8.50 NBA 2K14 $7

PS+ $40

#3688 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 September 2013 - 05:32 PM

I actually do 90% of my reading at work.

During my second thirty minute break if I don't find anything interesting on my phone I read for a half hour or so.

Usually the last hour or so of work is pretty so, so depending on my bench assignment I read then.

On weekends when  it can be dead quiet I can finish a whole book. (If the book is simple enough where I can speed read through it)

http://www.goodreads...5275090-matthew

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#3689 SilentBob50023

SilentBob50023

Kneel Before Zod

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 September 2013 - 08:38 AM

I read a couple really good non-fiction books in the area of quantum physics and string theory:

http://www.amazon.co...&qid=1379147499

http://www.amazon.co...&qid=1379147499

Author Brian Greene has a gift for writing in language that a non-Ph.D. can easily understand and appreciate.  For those that want to cheat a little, if you're an Amazon Prime member, Fabric of the Cosmos is available for free in a multipart NOVA series.  He's really engaging in the way that Carl Sagan was back in the day when he was the public face of physics and cosmology.  Another standout in the field, Neil deGrasse Tyson is actually remaking Sagan's COSMOS miniseries updated to include modern theory.  I can't wait!

And speaking of Sagan, I just re-read this gem:

http://www.amazon.co...&qid=1379147842

Lastly, for those of you who can't quite wrap your head around the Big Bang (namely, how all we can see in the physical universe could have arisen from basically nothing), read this:

http://www.amazon.co...79148055&sr=8-1

Krauss argues a pretty convincing case here.  For those of you who lean towards agnosticism/atheism, the Afterword was written by Richard Dawkins.

#3690 GhostShark

GhostShark

The Drunken Whaler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 September 2013 - 11:29 PM

Finished Angels and Insects by A.S. Byatt. A damned good postmodern Neovictorian novel.

Starting Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte and Cosmos by Carl Sagan.

Posted Image