What are you currently reading? Post here!

mrchainsaw

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
This thread is for people to discuss what they are reading and to give recommendations to others.

I'm currently about 100 pages into You Shall Know Our Velocity! by Dave Eggers. I really liked his writing in A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius so I decided to read more from him.

My next book will be either The Assist by Neil Swidey or The Last Shot by Darcy Frey, whichever comes in through my library first.

$$$$er: An Autobiography - Dick Gregory
HLM 5: Hierarchical Linear and Nonlinear Modeling
One in 100: Behind Bars in America 2008 - Pew Charitable Trusts
Unequal Childhoods: Class, Race, and Family Life - Annette Lareau

The Woman Warrior: A Memoir of a Girlhood Among Ghosts, by Maxine Hong Kingston
Hyperspace: A Scientific Odyssey Through Parallel Universes, Time Warps, and the 10th Dimension, by Michio Kaku

[quote name='Rocko']Drawing of the Three by Stephen King, right now.[/quote]

I just finished Wizard and Glass (#4 of the Dark Tower series), do you like it so far?

Right now I'm reading Choke by Chuck by Chuck Palahniuk

Currently reading Ishmael by Daniel Quinn. I'm probably gonna go through Hell's Angels by Hunter S. Thompson again when I'm finished.

I've been chipping away at 'In the Blink of an Eye: How Vision Sparked the Big Bang of Evolution', by Andrew Parker.

Its about optics as it relates to the accelerated evolution during what we call the Cambrian Explosion.

I almost exclusively read non-fiction, mostly dealing with topics related to genetics and evolution.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']Naked Lunch, by William S Burroughs[/quote]

Is that the book that spawned that incredibly insane movie about the pest control guy getting high off his poison? That was one fucked up movie.

The Charwoman's Shadow, by Lord Dunsany. For anyone who's gotten worn down by post-Tolkien fantasy, going back to the greats who predate him is wonderfully refreshing, and while Dunsany couldn't be more different from Robert Howard (as a person and as a writer), they're both great reads if you're tired of all the now-cliche genre tropes: dark elves, orcs, bands of adventurers, blah blah blah.

[quote name='GrimNecroWizard']I just finished Wizard and Glass (#4 of the Dark Tower series), do you like it so far?

Right now I'm reading Choke by Chuck by Chuck Palahniuk[/quote]

Yeah, I'm liking it. I'm glad to be rid of the constant flashbacks of The Gunslinger. I've got to get to the book store and pick up the third book soon.

The Rum Diary - Hunter S. Thompsom: Basically thompson takes a newspaper job in puerto rico and fucks, smokes, gambles, and drinks his way through san juan until he gets pissed off and stirs up some shit.

[quote name='joe2187']The Rum Diary - Hunter S. Thompsom: Basically thompson takes a newspaper job in puerto rico and fucks, smokes, gambles, and drinks his way through san juan until he gets pissed off and stirs up some shit.[/quote]

Noice
icon14.gif
. This book is also going to be the material for the next movie.

[quote name='Maklershed']Is that the book that spawned that incredibly insane movie about the pest control guy getting high off his poison? That was one fucked up movie.[/quote]

Yep, though the movie isn't based exclusively on the book, it's based on a bunch of Burroughs stories, and some of his life.

Last Child in the Woods: Saving Our Children From Nature-Deficit Disorder - Richard Louv

Great Ecopsychology read.

For school:

Colonial America, Jerome Reich. Red, White, and Black: The Peoples of Early North America, Gary Nash. Race and Revolution, Gary Nash. Major Problems in American Colonial History, Karen Ordahl Kupperman.

For fun: The Hardcore Diaries, Mick Foley; also Re-reading the Wheel of Time series. That will be followed by A Song of Ice and Fire series.

[quote name='MusicNoteLess']The Game: The Underground Society of Pickup Artists - Neil Strauss[/quote]

Good man. :cool:

I'm reading Star Wars: Revelations by Karen Traviss & re-reading The Intelligent Investor by Ben Graham

Reading Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll. I'm on a mission to read "the classics" before I die.

bunch of generic sci-fi/fantasy crap.
read david gerrold's a matter for men - pretty horrible
something by charles schefield - ick

the hidden stars - by melissa something. was good, actually

Just finished re-reading (for the 3rd time) Battle Royale by Koushun Takami (the novel, not the manga).

Basic summary:
Japan's youth are horrible. They're causing too much trouble and frankly there are too many of them. So in light of this, Japan's government has created something called the "BR ACT" or Battle Royale. Each year 32 classes of high school students are chosen and then they are taken to various isolated places where they fight it out and kill each other till there is only 1 student remaining. Each student is given a bag with bread, water, and a weapon (anything ranging from an UZI to a spork, yes. A spork.) In the book we follow a single class and watch as they deal with having to kill people they've called friends, watch just how fickle humans can be when their lives are on the line, see just how little you can truly trust someone in the line of fire.

Great book, everyone should pick it up. It's basically a modern lord of the flies and worth the time reading.
---

After Finishing BR for the 3rd time I switched to Boogiepop and Others by Kouhei Kadono and it blew my mind. Just wow. Pick this up. Now. No you don't have to have seen the anime. No you don't have to know anything about the series ( I sure as hell didn't) but pick it up now.

Pretty much there's been young girls disappearing from school and no one's doing anything about it. However there's a legend amongst the girls - a legend of Boogiepop; a shinigami or god of death. Boogiepop has appeared and is taking souls...or is he? In reality there's darker things at work here - namly the maneater Manticore.

It's just a great book.
--
Right now I'm reading Brave Story by Miyuki Miyabe. I have absolutely no clue what it's about because I'm just on the first page... >< Yea.

tdnlg.jpg

jlseal reminds me I need to finish the Baroque Cycle. Cryptonomicon was one of my favorite works of fiction I've read in the last ten years.

Hey Fart Bubble, how is "Ten Cent Plague"? I am thinking about getting that book.

Also I have a copy of Cryptonomicon laying around, I need to read that some day.

I'm reading the Legacy of the Force series (Star Wars). Good, light read.

Most of the books have a snip somewhere playing off the "Han shot first" controversy which is fun. There are probably other nods for the hardcore SW fan that I don't pick up on.

[quote name='darthbudge']Hey Fart Bubble, how is "Ten Cent Plague"? I am thinking about getting that book.
[/QUOTE]

Its pretty good. Though it isn't blatant the writer's personal political bias does show through with the way he chooses his words and it does make it annoying but if you can get past that, its an interesting read

Currently reading "The Other Boleyn Girl" by Philippa Gregory. Been reading it since before the movie came out. I'm reading the original one too. Should be able to finish it this week so I can go see the movie this weekend.

[quote name='darkinferno9908']Just finished re-reading (for the 3rd time) Battle Royale by Koushun Takami (the novel, not the manga).[/quote]

That is such a fantastic book. The movie isn't bad either. I loved it. It's been two years since I read it, I should pick it up again.

I'm currently reading "Into Hot Air" by Chris Elliott. It's pretty silly, and I find myself laughing in public, which is embarrasing.

51wL6CHeIQL._SS500_.jpg

[quote name='jaykrue']I'm reading Star Wars: Revelations by Karen Traviss[/quote]

I started on that a day or so ago, very good so far. I'm trying not to read it fast because the sooner I'm done, the longer it will feel between now and when the final book comes out.

[quote name='eldergamer']bunch of generic sci-fi/fantasy crap.
read david gerrold's a matter for men - pretty horrible
something by charles schefield - ick[/QUOTE]

Really? Neither one is really my cup of tea either, but they're both fairly respected writers. Gerrold's "When HARLIE Was One" is decent, and Sheffield won the Hugo, the Nebula, and the Campbell. Do you remember the name of the Sheffield thing you read?

I just finished The Intelligent Investor by Benjamin Graham a little while ago. Great book and I wish I could have met Graham back when he was still alive.

Right now I'm 2 books (out of 10) into The Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny. It's nice to find a fantasy book that isn't just a ripoff of Tolken and I really loved some of Zelazny's short stories.

I've still got a giant pile of books waiting for me after this too. A few years ago I found out the Goodwill close to me sells books for $0.75 each and I may have went a little crazy buying them. Now I have a backlog of books as well as games and anime. Once I finish this I think I'll read either The Spy Who Came in From the Cold or All the President's Men. If anyone wants to suggest one or the other feel free.

About 80 pages into Charles Stross's Accelerando

and I still need to finish Arthur C. Clarke's(RIP) Rendezvous with Rama , have about 60 pages left

[quote name='chakan']
jlseal reminds me I need to finish the Baroque Cycle. Cryptonomicon was one of my favorite works of fiction I've read in the last ten years.[/quote]
If you like cryptonomicon and haven't read Snow Crash, read Snow Crash as it is probably the greatest book ever written.

Well, for school I am reading Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson. That book is fucking awesome, and then I am reading various graphic novels and comics.

[quote name='cletus']Right now I'm 2 books (out of 10) into The Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny. It's nice to find a fantasy book that isn't just a ripoff of Tolken and I really loved some of Zelazny's short stories.
[/QUOTE]

Aw, those are GREAT books. For what it's worth, the second five books are really a pale shadow (no pun intended) of the first five. Still a worthwhile read if you're hankering for more Amber after the first cycle, but bear that in mind. Also, you'll probably notice this on your own, but in case you don't, hit the spoiler tag below AFTER you finish the series.

Corwin isn't a reliable narrator. In fact, he pretty much downright lies to the reader at points. Now go reread the books with that in mind.

bread's done
Back