Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

What are you currently reading? Post here!

• Please log in to reply
3746 replies to this topic

#961 rothgar24

rothgar24

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 April 2009 - 05:55 PM

I'm reading (slowly) blood meridian. I have a huge stack of books next to my bed. My DS has limited my reading habits and now my brain is probably rotting.

edit: maklershed, some people enjoy I am Legend by Hienlen (sic) ... not the movie mind you.

#962 mkg12

mkg12

I've got some apples lu..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 April 2009 - 06:22 PM

Finished Ender's Game, it was good, and Caves of Steel, it was alright- good enough that I'm going to get the other books in the series, a little over a week ago. Started reading The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay a few days ago. I'm not sure what I think of it so far. The story is ok but I find something about the writing to be odd.

#963 fart_bubble

fart_bubble

A fart that says "Ni"

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 April 2009 - 06:56 PM

edit: maklershed, some people enjoy I am Legend by Hienlen (sic) ... not the movie mind you.

That wasn't Heinlein but rather Richard Matheson. And if you do dig I Am Legend, you guys should read Theodore Sturgeon's Some Of Your Blood which was the book that inspired Matheson to write I Am Legend. Hell, read Sturgeon's writing in general, dude was truly a master when it comes to horror.

Actually, I think I'll re-read Some Of Your Blood
Posted ImagePosted Image

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats

#964 Vampire Hunter D

Vampire Hunter D

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2009 - 03:52 AM

Im currently reading Lovely Bones. My mom has reccommended it to me a few times but i kept lumping it in the same catagory as the twilight series, for lame teen emos. But it's not and it's actually a pretty good read so far.

Recently finished: Been on a huge horror kick lately: Edward Lee's Infernal series ( I quickly sped through all three in three days.), Jailbait Zombie (Book 4 of the Felix Gomez Vampire Dick. series, pretty dissapointed in this one.), America Alone, The Alchemist.

Sitting on my nightstand: Guns, Germs, and Steel., Snow Crash, Marine Sniper, Me Talk Pretty One Day
"Seems like they got a problem with heros around here.I saved the day Betty.I saved the day."-Tom Green

#965 bmachine

bmachine

somewhat damaged

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2009 - 06:37 AM

Have any of you ever read the Dresden Files books by Jim Butcher? I was recently discussing my love of Charlie Huston's "horror-noir" novels with a friend and he recommended these.

I hate fantasy fiction, so when I looked Jim Butcher up on Amazon and started reading about wizards and whatnot, I got a little worried. I was thinking maybe I could get a 20-word review from one of my fellow CAGs.

Will I like these books?

Posted Image
VGH#78: Forking Paths is now available
on iTunes, the Zune Marketplace and from http://vghangover.com.

Spoiler

#966 fart_bubble

fart_bubble

A fart that says "Ni"

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2009 - 06:38 PM

Have any of you ever read the Dresden Files books by Jim Butcher? I was recently discussing my love of Charlie Huston's "horror-noir" novels with a friend and he recommended these.

I hate fantasy fiction, so when I looked Jim Butcher up on Amazon and started reading about wizards and whatnot, I got a little worried. I was thinking maybe I could get a 20-word review from one of my fellow CAGs.

Will I like these books?

Not regular fantasy but rather Urban Fantasy. Think along the lines of a serious Garrett PI set in a modern world. IMO, they are okay books but nothing great. I wouldn't read them if you've ever been to Chicago as Butcher really fucks up the city
Posted ImagePosted Image

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats

#967 Anexanhume

Anexanhume

Posted 22 April 2009 - 03:03 PM

For the fans of GRRM's Ice and Fire series, HBO has green-lit the Game of Thrones pilot for filming in October in Northern Ireland this year.

#968 SneakyPenguin

SneakyPenguin

Agent of SHIELD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 April 2009 - 07:51 PM

Decided to read something quick while still working on Hyperion, so I started my little book of Selected Poems, by T.S. Elliot.

By four o'clock I've discounted suicide in favor of killing everyone else in the entire world instead.

#969 darthbudge

darthbudge

The Real DB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2009 - 09:57 PM

How far have you gotten in the Hyperion series Sneaky? I absolutely loved the first two books, still haven't read the last two though.

I ordered Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas the other day, and I can't wait to start reading it tomorrow.

#970 StarKnightX

StarKnightX

will hook you up

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2009 - 10:10 PM

Recently finished the Gears of War Novel : Aspho Fields. Currently Reading Resident Evil : The Umbrella Conspiracy. I've had the resident evil novels for a while , and while I've heard that the books take a lot of liberty's with the story , I've enjoying it thus far.

I'm generally a sucker for video game based novels though. I've read a bunch and have a bunch more to read through.

#971 LeviathynX

LeviathynX

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2009 - 10:21 PM

A Long Way Gone by Immanuel Beah. Really good book about the civil war in Sierra Leone as well as the whole revolution and Blood Diamond conflict. It's kinda like reading Far Cry 2.
AC:WW 2019-4653-2527 Zach in Hopevale

Posted Image

http://users.ign.com...aughtycabanaboy

#972 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2009 - 10:33 PM

I ordered Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas the other day, and I can't wait to start reading it tomorrow.

*high five*

Did you get Hell's Angels too?

Posted Image

#973 Vampire Hunter D

Vampire Hunter D

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 April 2009 - 11:55 PM

Anyone elese getting Chuck Phanachuimqiwchnowqeic's new book Pygmy when it comes in a few weeks? Isis's new album Wavering Radiant comes out the same day so im looking forward to May 5.
"Seems like they got a problem with heros around here.I saved the day Betty.I saved the day."-Tom Green

#974 Mr_hockey66

Mr_hockey66

Lets go pens!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 April 2009 - 12:33 AM

Icewind dale trilogy. I love drizzt. Cool character. I read the first trilogy The dark elf.. I have legecy of the drow for next.
check out my tradelist :
http://www.cheapassg...mar-and-wwe-13/

#975 Frankski

Frankski

Sir French Fry

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 April 2009 - 02:39 PM

Currently re-reading all the Repairman Jack books by F Paul Wilson. If you think the Dresden Files is urban fantasy, think of the Repairman Jack books as URBAN Action.

Currently in the middle of what may be my favorite RJ book: Crisscross.

Any other F Paul Wilson fans here????

#976 Liquid 2

Liquid 2

Dutch Dreams

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 April 2009 - 08:57 PM

Just finished Cory Doctorow's Little Brother. Haven't powered through a book like that in a long while.

#977 SneakyPenguin

SneakyPenguin

Agent of SHIELD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 April 2009 - 09:07 PM

How far have you gotten in the Hyperion series Sneaky? I absolutely loved the first two books, still haven't read the last two though.

I'm a little less than halfway through the first book. I have the other three all lined up to be read at one point, I just haven't had much time with finals and all. Now that I'm done with school I'm hoping to power through them.

By four o'clock I've discounted suicide in favor of killing everyone else in the entire world instead.

#978 Koggit

Koggit

almost sorry

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 April 2009 - 09:15 PM

Started Speaker for the Dead yesterday, about halfway through.. great first half raising a lot of questions, hopefully OSC provides some satisfying answers

#979 TruthinessFC

TruthinessFC

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2009 - 04:48 AM

Just getting into Let Me Tell You A Story: A Lifetime in the Game by John Feinstein and Red Auerbach.

Now Playing
:ps3: XCOM: Enemy Unknown
:pc: Dota 2, Diablo III: RoS, Heroes of the Storm

:wiiu: Mario Kart 8

#980 fart_bubble

fart_bubble

A fart that says "Ni"

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2009 - 05:19 AM

picked up Hunt At The Well Of Eternity on Saturday

Posted Image

not bad so far but the fact that its set in modern times is a disappointment. I kinda understand that they are trying to create a bit of a buffer between Hunt and Doc Savage (though borrowing quite heavily from the Savage mythos) but a modern day pulp adventure series just seem wrong. He shouldn't be able to google a girl's name or have a SUV try to ram him off the road
Posted ImagePosted Image

#981 sblymnlcrymnl

sblymnlcrymnl

married ... with children

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2009 - 12:45 PM

Reading Cosmopolis and The Sun Also Rises right now.

#982 siderealshift

siderealshift

Posted 26 April 2009 - 07:26 PM

I started Pride and Prejudice in preparation for Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

Surprisingly, I'm enjoying it so far.

#983 SneakyPenguin

SneakyPenguin

Agent of SHIELD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2009 - 04:13 PM

Finished up Hyperion last night. Taking a break from the series for now, so it's on to Dune Messiah.

#984 SneakyPenguin

SneakyPenguin

Agent of SHIELD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2009 - 06:59 PM

Finished Dune Messiah while in Vegas, and managed to get halfway through Double Star by Heinlein.

#985 SneakyPenguin

SneakyPenguin

Agent of SHIELD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 May 2009 - 06:34 AM

And now finished Double Star while the missus finished Deathly Hallows. Going to read Motherless Brooklyn by Jonathan Lethem now.

#986 Gden

Gden

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 May 2009 - 06:58 AM

I'm reading Star trek/xmen crossover book Planet X
I'm not changing my signature until Busou Renkin, and Trizenon get licensed.
FC: Pokemon Pearl - 1160-6253-4611
Posted Image

#987 jlarlee

jlarlee

Tigers love pepper.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 May 2009 - 10:15 AM

Really wish I had more time to read. Slowly going through Drood right now
Posted Image

#988 Anexanhume

Anexanhume

Posted 11 May 2009 - 03:51 PM

And now finished Double Star while the missus finished Deathly Hallows. Going to read Motherless Brooklyn by Jonathan Lethem now.

I'm reading through Harry Plopper right now. Then it's back to Dune. I've been dreading books 7 and 8 for fear of what his son did to the series, but I have to know how it ends.

#989 mkg12

mkg12

I've got some apples lu..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:59 PM

Finished Ender's Game, it was good, and Caves of Steel, it was alright- good enough that I'm going to get the other books in the series, a little over a week ago. Started reading The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay a few days ago. I'm not sure what I think of it so far. The story is ok but I find something about the writing to be odd.

Finished The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay and Slaughterhouse-Five. I don't know what to think of Slaughterhouse-Five. Reading Neverwhere right now.

Anyone read The Door into Summer by Heinlein? How is it?

#990 bmachine

bmachine

somewhat damaged

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 May 2009 - 05:13 PM

Just started the new Chuck Palahniuk book, Pygmy.

Posted Image
VGH#78: Forking Paths is now available
on iTunes, the Zune Marketplace and from http://vghangover.com.

Spoiler