Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

What are you currently reading? Post here!

• Please log in to reply
3746 replies to this topic

#1231 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 05 December 2009 - 12:05 AM

Started The Demon Awakens by R.A. Salvatore last night. Decided to stick with some light fantasy. Too burnt out at the moment to read anything that requires too much effot, so another Salvatore trilogy should fit the bill! I've been meaning to read some of his work outside the Forgotten Realms universe for years anyway.

Edited by dmaul1114, 05 December 2009 - 12:26 AM.

3DS Friend Code: 2595-0524-8826

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#1232 odintal

odintal

Posted 05 December 2009 - 12:09 AM

Unseen Acidemicals

My brain is trying to kill me.

#1233 Cleaner7

Cleaner7

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2009 - 12:22 AM

I'm reading The Road and need to finish it by the morning since I'm going to watch the movie tomorrow as an early birthday gift (B-day is on Monday). I've almost gotten teary a few times but finally shed tears after finding out what was going on in the farmhouse and reading what the man was prepared to do afterwards. Can't wait to see how they translated the book on the big screen.

#1234 moon_knight

moon_knight

Gotta Have Blue Hair

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2009 - 12:37 AM

I just started reading The Adventures Of Huckleberry Finn. It seems a little slow so far, but I'll keep reading to see if it grabs my attention.

#1235 Spacepest

Spacepest

Your Tax Dollars At Work

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 December 2009 - 03:04 AM

Got about 60 pages into Jack the Bodiless by Julian May. Put it down, didnt like it. Even though it said it was book one of a series, appearently I need to read the other trilogies first to understand what's going on.

I read the other Julian May series first (Pliocene Exile Saga), and I put down Jack the Bodiless as well. The Pliocene Exile Saga is much, much better. If you decide to read it, you will want to start off with "The Many Colored Land."

I've just finished reading some books by Steve Alten about Megalodon sharks wreaking havoc in the modern world: Meg, The Trench, and Meg Primal Waters. I'm waiting for the fourth book in the series to arrive at my local library: Hell's Aquarium. Because gigantic sharks are awesome.
"Videogames...why waste good technology (and $$$ ) on science and medicine?"

#1236 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 December 2009 - 03:27 AM

A Peculiar Grace by Jeffrey Lent

Posted Image

#1237 siderealshift

siderealshift

Posted 13 December 2009 - 06:18 PM

I finished The Catcher in the Rye recently -- really great book. I just started The N.igger of the Narcissus. (Like my intentional typo? This is one of the very few times that the word is appropriate, CAG! Don't gimme those dollar signs!) Going from Salinger to Conrad is kind of a jarring transition.

I'm also moving on to Book 6 of Akira. Having seen the movie before reading the series, I'm still surprised at how different the graphic novels are, story-wise, from the movie.

#1238 SneakyPenguin

SneakyPenguin

Agent of SHIELD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2009 - 05:04 AM

Just finished the first Elric book, and now I'm reading The Forever War, by Joe Halderman.

By four o'clock I've discounted suicide in favor of killing everyone else in the entire world instead.

#1239 crunchb3rry

crunchb3rry

Posted 14 December 2009 - 06:50 AM

I was thinking of starting It by Stephen King. If I loved Salem's Lot and The Stand, how does It fare?

#1240 doctorfaustus

doctorfaustus

Posted 14 December 2009 - 07:08 AM

I just finished reading The Lovely Bones and am working my way through Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian.

I was thinking of starting It by Stephen King. If I loved Salem's Lot and The Stand, how does It fare?

It is one of my favorite King books. I would place it above Salem's Lot but on equal ground as The Stand. With King it's pretty much guaranteed that if you like one of his books, then you will like the others.

#1241 ian1418

ian1418

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 December 2009 - 03:20 AM

Just finished Lord of Chaos, A Crown of Swords, and Path of Daggers by Robert Jordan. Now reading Winter's Heart.

#1242 Mr. Anderson

Mr. Anderson

spends too much time here

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 December 2009 - 03:35 AM

The Fires of Heaven by Robert Jordan.

Ditto on this, I'm finally starting to pick it up again.

Around page 600 shit just gets crazy.

#1243 BigSpoonyBard

BigSpoonyBard

Aaaaauuugghh!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 December 2009 - 03:49 AM

I just started reading The Adventures Of Huckleberry Finn. It seems a little slow so far, but I'll keep reading to see if it grabs my attention.

I recently reread it for my M.A. exams. It does take a little while to get into the main action, but once its on the river, it's pretty entertaining from there on.

Reading Crime and Punishment right now. Took me long enough to get to it.

logo.png
A Brief Guide to Steam Sales and Library Building
Brawny Gent or a Coconut Queen? PM for more info

#1244 Temidien

Temidien

CAG Lantern Corp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 December 2009 - 05:37 PM

Just started Slaughterhouse Five, an early xmas gift from my gf. Love it so far, but it's hard to pick it up because the writing is just too absorbing for someone with my time constraints.

Posted Image

#1245 ChernobylCow

ChernobylCow

Posted 23 December 2009 - 09:53 PM

Slowly going through The Silence of the Lambs. I had read a little of Red Dragon and thought it was trash but this novel works very well hand n hand with its film counterpart. It adds a lot more depth to Starling's superior and that poor girl's plight down in the well. I'd say the book feels rather "timeless", but not perfect by any means.

#1246 Halo05

Halo05

Posted 23 December 2009 - 11:29 PM

I randomly started rereading "Streams of Silver" by R.A. Salvatore. I read chunks between sets of pullups in my basement. I should've dug out Homeland and started the Drizzt books in order.

As many of you know, black ops 2 is plaid with bugs, lag etc which many people have been suffering including me.

plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid

#1247 terpkristin

terpkristin

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2009 - 01:54 AM

Just finished Lord of Chaos, A Crown of Swords, and Path of Daggers by Robert Jordan. Now reading Winter's Heart.

I love seeing so many people doing re-reads or getting to the series for the first time thanks to the new book.

I just finished my re-read of the entire series (which has taken the better part of this year, reading these books and usually one other), and will be starting The Gathering Storm tonight or tomorrow.

/tk
terpkristin
Find me on XBLA and PSN as terpkristin
Wii: 4059 1919 9282 7625
Now Playing: trying to go through the stack of games...
Trying to update the blog regularly.. http://gimpygal.blogspot.com
http://kristin.seidelmann-owners.com/

#1248 doctorfaustus

doctorfaustus

Posted 24 December 2009 - 10:36 AM

The Life of Pi
I'm 1/4 through the book and so far I feel a bit indifferent towards the story. I hope it picks up since I don't like abandoning a book.

#1249 thenexus6

thenexus6

more human than human

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2009 - 11:10 AM

Posted Image

Got it for only £1.29.

Blade_Runner_2-1.jpg

the-nexus6.png

I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it. Don't wait for it. Just let it happen. It could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or two cups of good, hot black coffee.
https://twitter.com/saunderscowie

#1250 ian1418

ian1418

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2009 - 03:33 AM

Finished Winter's Heart and am better than halfway through Crossroads of Twilight

#1251 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2009 - 06:13 PM

One of the Garrett PI books by Glen Cook. Which one? They're all the same and can be read through with half your mind turned off. It seems I pick one up every few years I go to the used book store/library thinking "I liked one of these books by this guy..."

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#1252 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 27 December 2009 - 06:15 PM

Finished R.A. Salvatores The Demon Awakes, and I'm almost finished with the second book in tthe trilogy--The Demon Spirt. They're pretty good, but not as good as his dark elf series. And a lot of the characters are kind of rip offs of characters in that series. But still entertaining, disposable fantasy. Have the third book on my Kindle to read next, and will read something else before going on to the second trilogy in this series.

Also reading Outliers by Malcom Gladwell that I borrowed from my girlfriend. It's very enjoyable thus far.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#1253 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2009 - 06:30 PM

Pirate Latitudes by Michael Chrichton

Posted Image

#1254 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2009 - 12:47 PM

A lady at work just loaned Under the Dome by Stephen King (this book is friggin huge!) to me so I'm gonna have to put Pirate Latitudes on hold for now.

Posted Image

#1255 SneakyPenguin

SneakyPenguin

Agent of SHIELD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2009 - 05:54 PM

Finished The Forever War a few days ago (absolutely amazing book). Reading Justine and Philosophy in the Bedroom by the Marquis de Sade now.

By four o'clock I've discounted suicide in favor of killing everyone else in the entire world instead.

#1256 tivo

tivo

taking care of buisness

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2010 - 04:16 AM

I finished Superfreakanomics on the plane today. similar to Freakanomics but with new stories about behavioral economics, unintended consequences, etc. etc. which ive heard many of beforehand. overall, not that great but the deckled edges were a nice touch.

Now on to Economics in One Lesson by Hazlitt.
“It is hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong.” - Thomas Sowell

#1257 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 13 January 2010 - 04:34 AM

Finished The Outliers last week. It was pretty good, but the second half wasn't as good as the first. Made for good bathroom reading though, since the chapters are divided into short sub chapters. I'll probably borrow Gladwell's other 2 books Tipping Point and Blink from my girlfriend and read those as well sometime soon.

Also finished The Demon Apostle to finish up Salvatore's first Demon Wars trilogy. I was pretty sucked into it so decided to just read the rest of the saga. Reading Mortalis now., it's the bridge book between the two trilogies and it's dragging a bit so far, but starting to pick up.

Bathroom reading is a WVU football book--Don Nehlen's Tales for the WV Sidelines. Bought it for my dad for x-mas and borrowed it after he finished it.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#1258 Rei no Otaku

Rei no Otaku

Rei's love

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2010 - 04:36 AM

A lady at work just loaned Under the Dome by Stephen King (this book is friggin huge!) to me so I'm gonna have to put Pirate Latitudes on hold for now.

I'm reading that as well. About halfway through it now. It's pretty good so far.

Rei_no_Otaku.png

#1259 LordKefka06

LordKefka06

Follow The Reaper

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2010 - 04:45 AM

Gonna be reading through some of 'The Divine Comedy', after I finish some more of H.P. Lovecraft's work.

#1260 johnnyrocker360

johnnyrocker360

BROTHERRRRRRRRRRRRRR

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2010 - 04:50 AM

I Recently read all the Dexter books by Jeff Lindsay. Big fan of the show so I figured i'd read the books.

Just got done reading about a week ago "The Lost Symbol" by Dan Brown. It was meh but still a decent read.
Blarg

Posted Image