Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

What are you currently reading? Post here!

• Please log in to reply
3746 replies to this topic

#1411 Frankski

Frankski

Sir French Fry

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 March 2010 - 02:11 PM

Just finished off The Dark Tower series. I really enjoyed the first books in the series (2 is my favorite) but found every book just got worse and worse as it went, and books 6 and 7 were really poor compared to the others.

Same -- I loved 2 and the first half of 3. I thought 4 was just too long. And 5,6,7 were all decidedly different in tone than the first 4 I thought.

If you enjoyed it (or want a better version (shorter) of Book 4), check out the Dark Tower graphic novels.

I just read Patient Zero by ..... can't recall. Good zombie/action read. More to the book than the standard zombie fair.

#1412 Wolfprint

Wolfprint

Posted 09 March 2010 - 02:56 PM

Redwall - Brian Jacques
Through The Looking Glass - Lewis Carroll
L Change the WorLd
Meditations - Marcus Aurelious

#1413 BlueWingX

BlueWingX

Master of Trivia

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 March 2010 - 02:57 PM

I just finished Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West. It was ok, but I felt it kinda fell apart by the end, and I guess the whole thing felt kinda pointless. I think I liked the musical's ending better. Not sure if I want to continue with Son of a Witch.

Anyway, I'm going to start on Husain Haddawy's translation of The Arabian Nights tonight. We'll see how that goes.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Mr. BlueWingX's Signature provided by onetrackmind

#1414 Falcon9494

Falcon9494

Posted 09 March 2010 - 03:17 PM

I am tearing my way through Cryptonomicon. It's the first book i've read by Neal Stephenson. I'm enjoying it immensely.

#1415 Pavel6969

Pavel6969

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 March 2010 - 03:30 PM

Same -- I loved 2 and the first half of 3. I thought 4 was just too long. And 5,6,7 were all decidedly different in tone than the first 4 I thought.

If you enjoyed it (or want a better version (shorter) of Book 4), check out the Dark Tower graphic novels.

I just read Patient Zero by ..... can't recall. Good zombie/action read. More to the book than the standard zombie fair.

Ya I am going to probably pick up the graphic novels, I have heard they are good.

Funny you mentioned Patient Zero, I actually read that between books 4 and 5 of the Dark Tower series to give myself a bit of a break. I too can't remember the authors name, but if you enjoyed it I know that he is going to be writing a series of books following Patient Zero.

#1416 Quillion

Quillion

Not Proprietary

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 March 2010 - 03:35 PM

Wingnuts : How the Lunatic Fringe is Destroying America.

I'm thinking of picking up the Baroque Cycle by Neal Stephenson next.

<Clever Signature Here>

#1417 RAMSTORIA

RAMSTORIA

fate is inexorable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 March 2010 - 04:03 PM

taking a break from fiction before i dive into game of thrones. so right now im reading ron pauls End the Fed.

Posted Image

#1418 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 09 March 2010 - 04:44 PM

Just finished off The Dark Tower series. I really enjoyed the first books in the series (2 is my favorite) but found every book just got worse and worse as it went, and books 6 and 7 were really poor compared to the others.

Agreed. I really liked the first 3 books, but thought it was all down hill from there. Book 4 was ok, just too long when it wasn't advancing the main plot. Book 5 just ended up seeming like a waste since the Wolves weren't very important to the main story. 6 and 7 were ok, but just plodded along to a pretty weak ending and the
Spoiler

In all the series was ok, but when I was done I didn't feel it was worth the time investment.

3DS Friend Code: 2595-0524-8826

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#1419 TctclMvPhase

TctclMvPhase

Dismal Scientist

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 March 2010 - 01:43 AM

The General Theory - John Maynard Keynes (Ive only ever heard his arguments summarized in other works, but I figured I should hear them first hand) interspersed with Death by Black Hole by Neil deGrasse Tyson (the Keynes book is pretty dry so I mix this in, in between chapters).

I also just finished The Manual of Detection by Jedediah Berry. It was pretty good for a detective novel, some great characters although the plot got a little out there it was overall pretty good. I dont normally read detective stuff aside from Sherlock Holmes, but it was only $3 at Borders. Id recommend it if you can find it for cheap.

black_swan_movie-640x120.jpg

"I was perfect....

#1420 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 March 2010 - 01:49 AM

Finished A Canticle for Liebowitz today. Definitely tied for The Postman as my favorite post apocalypse genre book. Probably even surpasses.

Posted Image

#1421 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 14 March 2010 - 02:02 AM

Finished the two Mass Effect books. Pretty disappointing, even with low expectations. Not terrible, but pretty bland and did little to flesh out the plotline/universe IMO as they were just pretty pointless little side stories.

Haven't decided what to start up next.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#1422 csidegamer

csidegamer

What problem w/ Dwarves?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 March 2010 - 02:23 AM

Just started "And Another Thing . . " by Eoin Colfer.
The sixth book in the Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy Trilogy.

So far it's ok. I didn't have high hopes.
fs_overall.pngs2741431x15a.png

#1423 motorkill

motorkill

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 March 2010 - 02:29 AM

Ya I am going to probably pick up the graphic novels, I have heard they are good.

Funny you mentioned Patient Zero, I actually read that between books 4 and 5 of the Dark Tower series to give myself a bit of a break. I too can't remember the authors name, but if you enjoyed it I know that he is going to be writing a series of books following Patient Zero.

I'm actually reading Patient Zero at the moment. Pretty good so far,I really enjoy the protagonist, Joe Ledger. Real badass with a smart ass attitude which i totally dig. The author name is Jonathan Maberry and his follow up to Patient Zero, The Dragon Factory was just released.

]

#1424 SneakyPenguin

SneakyPenguin

Agent of SHIELD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 March 2010 - 07:37 AM

Finally sat down and finished The Fall, by Camus, then also blazed through The Hellbound Heart by Clive Barker. Now it's on to The Duplicated Man, by James Blish and Robert Lowndes.

By four o'clock I've discounted suicide in favor of killing everyone else in the entire world instead.

#1425 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2010 - 02:43 PM

I'm about to start up The Stars, Like Dust

Posted Image

Posted Image

#1426 Quillion

Quillion

Not Proprietary

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2010 - 03:35 PM

Finished "Wingnuts: How the Lunatic Fringe...", and decided to try "Candide" by Voltaire. It's somewhat disappointing so far. Thinking of either Kafka or Terry Pratchett next.

<Clever Signature Here>

#1427 Mr Unoriginal

Mr Unoriginal

Cheap Amish Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2010 - 03:51 PM

Reading "The Great Gatsby" now. Read it in high school and don't remember much about it. Really liking it so far, it is a pretty light read and surprisingly funny.

Its too bad you're still a prick with a stupid gimmick.

#1428 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2010 - 05:01 PM

The book of Jerheg. the first 3 novels in the Vlad Taltos series by Steven Brust. Great stuff. For fantasy.

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#1429 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 15 March 2010 - 05:10 PM

Started The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoyevsky last night. Figured I should read some real literature after reading nothing but fantasy/sci fi lately.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#1430 Quillion

Quillion

Not Proprietary

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2010 - 02:01 PM

Started The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoyevsky last night. Figured I should read some real literature after reading nothing but fantasy/sci fi lately.

Tell me how it is. I'm working my way through some canon, and need to pick something for after Kafka, but the length of TBK is daunting.

<Clever Signature Here>

#1431 Pavel6969

Pavel6969

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2010 - 08:19 PM

About 200 pages into The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown. Not a big fan so far, but I am not really a fan of any of his work, but I have read all of his stuff because my wife likes it.

#1432 Mr Unoriginal

Mr Unoriginal

Cheap Amish Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2010 - 08:21 PM

Started/Trying Thus Spoke Zarathustra like a real fucking hipster. We'll see...

Its too bad you're still a prick with a stupid gimmick.

#1433 naiku

naiku

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 March 2010 - 03:00 AM

Finished Pride, Prejudice & Zombies. I thought about 3/4th into the story it got a lot of less 'actiony' and more 'pile on the romance/story'. I haven't read the original Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austin...but I might watch the movie to see what similarities there were between the two. Definitely excited at the pending movie.

I just started Euclid's Window The Story of Geometry from Parallel Lines to Hyperspace
Posted Image

#1434 jbroush99

jbroush99

Old Tickle Feathers

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 March 2010 - 03:20 AM

I'm about halfway through "The Hardcore Diaries" by Mick Foley and so far it is pretty meh. Nothing compared to his first 2 wrestling books.

#1435 Soujiro_Seta

Soujiro_Seta

Restless Soul

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 March 2010 - 03:24 AM

I just picked up "The Holy" by Daniel Quinn today. I'm only a few pages in so can't say whether it's good or bad yet.

#1436 Pavel6969

Pavel6969

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 March 2010 - 11:15 PM

Finished Lost Symbol by Dan Brown today. I am not a huge fan of his, but this is by far his worst book. I just couldn't get into it at all, it just felt like he was spinning his tires the entire time. A good concept with poor execution.

Now I am stating Blaze by S King (Bachman technically). Doesn't sound to promising, but I got 15 SK books for $15 so I am in the process of reading them all. Probably go for Under The Dome next.

#1437 Panda Wizardry

Panda Wizardry

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2010 - 02:27 AM

I read A Daughter of Han by Ida Pruitt. Gives a good look of what life was like for Chinese people back in the late 1800s and into the 1900s.

I'm going to start up The Dragon's Village by Yuan-Tsung Chen this week.

Please check out my channel: Alan Bytes Back!

MyAnimeList

#1438 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 March 2010 - 05:09 PM

Reading Century Rain by Alistair Reynolds. Maybe when I take the little girl to the library for story time this week I'll pick something up by that Malcolm guy (Freaknomics, Blink, Tipping Point) I've been meaning to read one of those for a while. I really need to get off genre fiction too.

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#1439 ian1418

ian1418

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 March 2010 - 08:07 AM

Just finished The Lies of Locke Lamora by ScottLynch and The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. They were both excellent fantasy novels. I am currently reading Red Seas under Red Skies by Scott Lynch, the sequels to LOLL. The sequel to TNOTW was supposed to be published last year, but still has yet to come out. It appears that Rothfuss may be another GRRM, but at least he has the excuse of another job and a kid, whereas GRRM is a FULL TIME AUTHOR and still takes 5 fucking years to write a book.

#1440 crunchb3rry

crunchb3rry

Posted 25 March 2010 - 09:49 AM

Rothfuss supposedly has all three books finished in manuscript form. The delay was because a family member died.

GRRM is on a timetable now with HBO making his series into a show. The delays were because he has too many side projects and convention appearances. He is "98%" done with the next book. So he has a good chunk of time to get the last two done to stay ahead of HBO's schedule. I think he will pull it off, he just has to put his other projects on the back burner now.

I hope GRRM's next book comes out soon. I tried The First Law series, am 50% through the first book, and it doesn't have its hooks in me yet. GRRM spoiled me. His books are so fucking phenomenal that I can't enjoy other fantasy books nearly as much. Pretty much just JRR Tolkien and Terry Brooks, and only because they are books from my childhood. I actually just bought the three Terry Brooks trilogy "collections". Nice books, but the first book is missing a critical map.