Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

What are you currently reading? Post here!

• Please log in to reply
3746 replies to this topic

#1501 Mr Unoriginal

Mr Unoriginal

Cheap Amish Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2010 - 02:26 PM

Done with The World Made by Hand (which was fantastic) and on to Ender's Game

Posted Image

One of my favorite books ever. I hope you know nothing going in, it will make it so much better.

Its too bad you're still a prick with a stupid gimmick.

#1502 RAMSTORIA

RAMSTORIA

fate is inexorable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2010 - 03:15 PM

After years of harassment from some friend who are die-hard fans, I started on the Wheel of Time series yesterday. Even thought the books are huge, they seem like easy enough reads.

i just bought the first 3 in a box set, those are next up on my list after i finish the first 4 of a song of fire and ice.

Posted Image

#1503 SneakyPenguin

SneakyPenguin

Agent of SHIELD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2010 - 03:25 PM

Finished A Brief History of Time last night, and started on The Name Of The Wind by Patrick Rothfuss.

By four o'clock I've discounted suicide in favor of killing everyone else in the entire world instead.

#1504 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2010 - 04:16 PM

sneaky - Did you watch his two specials on Discovery last night?

One of my favorite books ever. I hope you know nothing going in, it will make it so much better.

I just so happens I don't. :)

Posted Image

#1505 SneakyPenguin

SneakyPenguin

Agent of SHIELD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2010 - 04:26 PM

sneaky - Did you watch his two specials on Discovery last night?

I was going to, but they looked like they took everything I had just read, dumbed it down even further, and added all shiny CG and science fiction ideas to make it easier to digest for the layman. Pass, I'd rather just go read my physics textbook and get actual equations.

By four o'clock I've discounted suicide in favor of killing everyone else in the entire world instead.

#1506 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2010 - 04:31 PM

I dvred them but didn't get a chance to watch yet.

Posted Image

#1507 motorkill

motorkill

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 April 2010 - 08:33 PM

Gone South by Robert McCammon

]

#1508 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2010 - 02:08 PM

Done with Enders Game and on to Duma Key

Posted Image

Posted Image

#1509 RAMSTORIA

RAMSTORIA

fate is inexorable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2010 - 03:35 PM

on to a storm of swords.

finished a clash of kings last night, the reading went a little slow due to playoff hockey and various family events. hopefully this goes a little quicker.

Posted Image

#1510 crunchb3rry

crunchb3rry

Posted 29 April 2010 - 07:07 PM

on to a storm of swords.

How did you like Clash?

#1511 RAMSTORIA

RAMSTORIA

fate is inexorable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2010 - 07:27 PM

How did you like Clash?

a mixed bag, i definitely thought thrones was better. i got weary of a couple characters in clash (catelyn & sansa) and thought that a couple others were under developed (theon & davos). hopefully those 2 get more play in this book otherwise it seems like their chapters were only there to move the story along, which could be the case. im mostly interested in whats going on with bran, jon and tyrion at this point.

Posted Image

#1512 crunchb3rry

crunchb3rry

Posted 29 April 2010 - 09:53 PM

Enjoy Bran, Jon and Tyrion in Storm. Because they are MIA in Crows. George's next book covers their POVs, after the infamous book four split that pushed the series from 6 books to 7.

One major reason I'm pumped about the HBO series is that it theoretically could recombine book 4 and 5 and split them again, but chronologically instead of by characters.

#1513 Anexanhume

Anexanhume

Posted 29 April 2010 - 10:05 PM

Crows is the weakest of the series IMO. The POVs in it are not compelling. As crunch points out, all the good ones are supposed to appear in Dragons, which George seems to be reasonably close to finishing (80%) based on his blog posts.

#1514 crunchb3rry

crunchb3rry

Posted 29 April 2010 - 10:29 PM

I liked Crows' POVs fine. I don't think it was weak storywise. Brienne's character development was much needed though. I hope they get Robin Weigert (Calamity Jane from Deadwood) to play her. That would be the cat's ass. She's becoming one of my favorite characters.

#1515 naiku

naiku

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2010 - 05:33 AM

Finished
Surely You're Joking Mr. Feynman - Richard P Feynman was a theoretical physicist and one of the more eccentric and out going people of his time. His adventures are pretty ridiculous from going to Brazil to play music in the streets to Los Almos with the Manhattan Project & lock picking the filing cabinets and safes there.

Starting
Black Holes and Baby Universes - Stephen Hawking
Posted Image

#1516 cdietschrun

cdietschrun

Over the Hills, Far Away

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2010 - 05:52 AM

I just finished Atlas Shrugged, my first book by Ayn Rand and loved it, best book I've ever read in my opinion.
"Where there are cardboard boxes, there will always be Solid Snake." - MGS Database

#1517 csidegamer

csidegamer

What problem w/ Dwarves?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2010 - 07:14 PM

Just started Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. So far, Excellent.

Recently finished Monster Island, another zombie novel, pretty good too.
fs_overall.pngs2741431x15a.png

#1518 DOMINATOR912

DOMINATOR912

RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2010 - 07:17 PM

Currently reading Wasteland book 1 by Antony Johnston. Not bad so far, though a little boring at times. Ordered the first Walking Dead book from Amazon, should be starting that series next week.

#1519 SneakyPenguin

SneakyPenguin

Agent of SHIELD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2010 - 04:39 AM

Finished The Name of the Wind. Now I haven't read this George RR Martin you kids are always going on about, but this was one of the best damn fantasy novels I've ever read.

On to The Whalestoe Letters by Mark Z Danielewski. Should be a fairly quick read.

#1520 Msut77

Msut77

Occam's Shank

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2010 - 04:46 AM

Just finished Alas, Babylon.

Most people find the ending lackluster but I thought it was perfect.

Going to finish God's Crucible now.

#1521 GhostShark

GhostShark

The Drunken Whaler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2010 - 05:15 AM

Just finished Stormrage by Richard A. Knaak. By far the best Warcraft book I've read.

Starting Night of the Dragon by Richard A. Knaak.
Posted Image

Stinging Death To All Enemies

#1522 crunchb3rry

crunchb3rry

Posted 08 May 2010 - 05:31 AM

Finished The Name of the Wind. Now I haven't read this George RR Martin you kids are always going on about, but this was one of the best damn fantasy novels I've ever read.

Fifty bucks says you like George's books better. I got the book you mention, haven't read it yet. I'm hesitant because the next one has missed its publication. Something about the author having a family tragedy that indefinitely delayed it, although he claimed to have already written all three and just set them to be released one year apart. I'd like to start it knowing I can jump right into the next one, and then into the third after that. Then again, I've been waiting ages for George's fifth, so I might as well say "fuck it" and start Name of the Wind.

#1523 SneakyPenguin

SneakyPenguin

Agent of SHIELD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2010 - 05:40 AM

As of 4/28, it's "Confirmed for March 1st, 2011" Long wait even if the date holds, but I had to read Wind now since I bought it brand new. Going to take a break from fantasy so they don't all get jumbled together, but I have the first three Martin books, I'll probably start later this year.

#1524 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 May 2010 - 03:39 PM

Accelrando by Charles Stross. One of the best Sci-Fi books I've read in years. It's filled with crazy meta-concepts and is sort of written like Warren Ellis writes planetary where you just throw thousands of ideas at the wall and see what sticks.

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#1525 ReviewTavConor

ReviewTavConor

Posted 08 May 2010 - 04:00 PM

Just wrapped up the Sword of Truth series. It was awesome, I did not put it down through all 13 or so books. If you have seen Legend of the Seeker, that show is loosely based on these books, but the books are way more violent than the show.

#1526 SneakyPenguin

SneakyPenguin

Agent of SHIELD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2010 - 12:26 AM

Finished The Whalestoe Letters (knew it wouldn't take long) and now I'm on to Monster Island by David Wellington.

#1527 AlphaPanda

AlphaPanda

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2010 - 12:47 AM

Reading The Zombie Survival Guide for shits and giggles.

I read Staked by J.F. Lewis a while back, and thought it was a fantastic book. Big fan of the whole paranormal vampire/werewolf type of deal, and since then I haven't been able to find a book quite like it. Just found out, 10 seconds ago, that the book was part of a series. Might have to order them off of Amazon sometime soon.
Posted Image

Feel free to add me, CAGs. Could always use another bud to play something with.

#1528 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2010 - 10:58 PM

Finished Duma Key and on to Brave New World

Posted Image

Posted Image

#1529 Mr Unoriginal

Mr Unoriginal

Cheap Amish Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2010 - 11:47 PM

I found Pride and Prejudice and Zombies at a flea market for $.50 and then got Pride and Prejudice at the same place. Should I read the 'original' to get a better understanding of the Zombie version?

Its too bad you're still a prick with a stupid gimmick.

#1530 SneakyPenguin

SneakyPenguin

Agent of SHIELD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2010 - 11:55 PM

I didn't bother with the original, but after reading ...and Zombies, I feel I effectively did. The addition of kung fu and zombies is actually pretty small in the story.