Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

What are you currently reading? Post here!

• Please log in to reply
3746 replies to this topic

#2221 cindersphere

cindersphere

Running on no sleep

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 January 2011 - 09:42 PM

Got distracted from Sherlock and read a couple of other books instead.

Last Exile and Day by Day Armageddon and J.L. Bourne, both of which are the best zombie books I have ever read.

In Fifty Years We'll all be Chicks by Adam Corolla. This was okay, whiny but still funny. I would say if you like Adam Corolla from Love Line to pick it up and read it. Basically a written version of his rants from back then.
Religion ends and philosophy begins, just as alchemy ends and chemistry begins and astrology ends, and astronomy begins. - Christopher Hitchens 1949-2011

#2222 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2011 - 01:00 AM

Finished They Call me Baba Booey and on to Child 44

Posted Image
Child 44 by Tom Rob Smith

Posted Image

#2223 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2011 - 05:26 PM

The second book in the ST: Destiny Trilology. It's not that bad, aisde from the fact that the author feels I need to be reminded that Piccard is still haunted by the borg every 30 pages.

Posted Image

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#2224 ian1418

ian1418

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2011 - 11:46 PM

Finished To Light a Candle by Mercedes Lackey and James Mallory. Am currently reading The 5000 Year Leap by W. Cleon Skousen.

#2225 paulina7m

paulina7m

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 January 2011 - 11:50 PM

Reading Naruto Shippuden manga chapter 522. :)
I am a big fan of PC browser games. Don't push downloads on me. :roll:

My website: Virtual Life Games

#2226 cindersphere

cindersphere

Running on no sleep

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2011 - 12:08 AM

Reading Naruto Shippuden manga chapter 522. :)

We have a manga and anime thread. :)
Religion ends and philosophy begins, just as alchemy ends and chemistry begins and astrology ends, and astronomy begins. - Christopher Hitchens 1949-2011

#2227 pittpizza

pittpizza

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2011 - 12:24 AM

A People's History of the United States, by Howard Zinn. Just finished The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand. Before that I read Crime and Punishment by Dostoyevsky.

I'm not bragging either, I'm just a smart motherfucker.
Wii-Sixty FTWiin. Fanboys STFU & GTFO!

Now playing: Assassin's Creed 2, Battlestations Pacific, Madden 10, Army of Two, 40th Day.

Recently beat: Bioshock (again).

#2228 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2011 - 05:02 PM

Finished Child 44 and on to Memoirs Found in a Bathtub

Posted Image
Memoirs Found in a Bathtub by Stanisław Lem

Posted Image

#2229 Mr Unoriginal

Mr Unoriginal

Cheap Amish Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2011 - 05:44 PM

Just finished the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. I'm not much for mystery but picked it up from all the buzz it was getting. I don't really think I liked it, but on the other hand, I couldn't really put it down. Can't quite put my finger on why. That being said, should I go for the other two books in the trilogy?

Its too bad you're still a prick with a stupid gimmick.

#2230 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2011 - 06:21 PM

Just finished the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. I'm not much for mystery but picked it up from all the buzz it was getting. I don't really think I liked it, but on the other hand, I couldn't really put it down. Can't quite put my finger on why. That being said, should I go for the other two books in the trilogy?

Usually a bunch of buzz is reason to stay away from the book. I would dread reading ths book in public and then having someone come up to me saying "oh, I read this too.."

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#2231 Mr Unoriginal

Mr Unoriginal

Cheap Amish Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2011 - 06:27 PM

Usually a bunch of buzz is reason to stay away from the book. I would dread reading ths book in public and then having someone come up to me saying "oh, I read this too.."

Well I'm not an elitist that thinks it's cool to hate what other people like just based on the fact that other people like it.

Its too bad you're still a prick with a stupid gimmick.

#2232 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 08 January 2011 - 06:34 PM

Another benefit to e-readers like the Kindle--people can't tell what you're reading in public.

I'd definitely read the other two if you liked the first at all. The 2nd one is best IMO. I loved the series--don't give a shit if it's popular. It was a damn entertaining read after the first 30% or so of the first book which is a bit slow.

3DS Friend Code: 2595-0524-8826

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#2233 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2011 - 06:47 PM

Well I'm not an elitist that thinks it's cool to hate what other people like just based on the fact that other people like it.

I'm not trying to be elitist, just isolationist.

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#2234 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 08 January 2011 - 07:00 PM

Well, if you're truly an isolationist, you wouldn't be reading in public in the first place. :D

Again, e-readers are great--though you still get bugged sometimes by people asking questions about them. But I don't get asked nearly as much as I did a couple years ago on flights etc. when the Kindle was newer.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#2235 jlarlee

jlarlee

Tigers love pepper.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 January 2011 - 11:08 PM

Took a break from World War Z to read King's Full dark No Stars which had some really good short stories
Posted Image

#2236 Fjordson

Fjordson

Posted 09 January 2011 - 01:54 AM

That's sort of how I felt. Unfortunately, I gave up a little ways into the second. Felt really boring. It still confuses me how that series is so popular. Just doesn't seem that good to me.

#2237 cindersphere

cindersphere

Running on no sleep

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2011 - 02:05 PM

That's sort of how I felt. Unfortunately, I gave up a little ways into the second. Felt really boring. It still confuses me how that series is so popular. Just doesn't seem that good to me.

For a mystery, it is really good and a change of pace from the Harry Boschs (which I am currently reading The Reversal because I hadn't realized it came out) or the Kay Scarpettas (Port Mortuary was decent) or Lincoln Rhyme (Bone Collector was the best of the series if you ask me but the recent identity theft one was not too bad) areas of mystery, which seem to saturate the genre currently.

If anybody else is a mystery novel fan, does anybody know the mystery series that follows the Native American dude. The first one was about an archaeology caper that turns into a murder.

#2238 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 09 January 2011 - 03:32 PM

Yeah, I thought the series was just a great, exciting mystery thriller. Really liked the characters, the dark tone etc. I couldn't put the books down after the first 30% or so of the first one. One of the few books that had me reading more than just at night before sleeping.

But of course to each their own.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#2239 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2011 - 04:41 PM

Gave up on Memoirs Found in a Bathtub. I didn't read the description closely enough and its definitely not what I was expecting. I moved on to A Storm of Swords

Posted Image
A Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin

Posted Image

#2240 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 09 January 2011 - 04:48 PM

I really want to read that series---but I hate reading unfinished series and having to wait for future books.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#2241 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2011 - 05:14 PM

I know what you mean but the journey to the end (so far) is just so damn good.

Posted Image

#2242 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 09 January 2011 - 05:17 PM

That's what I've heard! I just hate it as I'm not one of those that remembers details etc. well, so I enjoy series a lot more if I can just read the whole thing all at once.

On that note, how is the Wheel of Time Series by Robert Jordan? I've heard mixed opinions on that one, but I think that's nearly finally done.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#2243 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 January 2011 - 05:27 PM

That's what I've heard! I just hate it as I'm not one of those that remembers details etc. well, so I enjoy series a lot more if I can just read the whole thing all at once.

On that note, how is the Wheel of Time Series by Robert Jordan? I've heard mixed opinions on that one, but I think that's nearly finally done.

As far as Wheel of Time the first 3, maybe 4 books are okay. But after that it just bogs down into endless description, repition of character traits and myriad subplots. The main character drops off the face of the earth. I think I stopped reading around the 7th or 8th book. I might just skip the last books and start reading the last one.

Sort of the same way with Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth. I've read the first 4 and then after reading the plot summaries on Wikipedia I feel like I could easily skip to the last 2 books without missing a thing.

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#2244 cindersphere

cindersphere

Running on no sleep

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2011 - 02:18 AM

Read about half of Cracked.com's You might be a Zombie book. I can honestly say I am not sad I put down the book.

#2245 5of9

5of9

Resistance is Futile

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2011 - 02:28 AM

As far as Wheel of Time the first 3, maybe 4 books are okay. But after that it just bogs down into endless description, repition of character traits and myriad subplots. The main character drops off the face of the earth. I think I stopped reading around the 7th or 8th book. I might just skip the last books and start reading the last one.

Sort of the same way with Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth. I've read the first 4 and then after reading the plot summaries on Wikipedia I feel like I could easily skip to the last 2 books without missing a thing.

Could not agree more. I get the impression that both guys planned a Trilogy but then started expanding the stories and didn't know where to stop. I red the WOT til the 8th(?) book and then saw Jordan died before completing the last book and his widow turned it over to someone else to finish. I'll eventually pcik it up to see how this guy wraps it up.

MY pet peve was that i was reading these as they came out 2-3 years apart and could not for the life of me figure out why they would not put a breif "what has happened so far" in the beggining of the new book to refresh your memory. I would be 1/4 of the way thru til i got cought up on what was going on.

Posted Image

#2246 EDiTOR9

EDiTOR9

Posted 10 January 2011 - 02:35 AM

I'm reading Decoded now 8-)
3DS: AC New Leaf | PSV:Resistance/Black Ops/MGS 3 SE | PS4: Ghosts/Killzone | Wii U: SC: Blacklist | PS3: TWD S2 | Xbox360: GoWJ | Xbox1: DR3

...*I* am said douche (as if y'all didn't know)...

I just had sex with my mom and she gave me flowers

#2247 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 10 January 2011 - 04:06 AM

MY pet peve was that i was reading these as they came out 2-3 years apart and could not for the life of me figure out why they would not put a breif "what has happened so far" in the beggining of the new book to refresh your memory. I would be 1/4 of the way thru til i got cought up on what was going on.

Hardly any series type books do that--which is why I hate reading series until all the books are out.

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#2248 take5giantsteps

take5giantsteps

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2011 - 05:18 AM

Just finished Alexis De Tocqueville's the old regime and the french revolution. Quite good.

#2249 cindersphere

cindersphere

Running on no sleep

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:13 PM

Just finished Alexis De Tocqueville's the old regime and the french revolution. Quite good.

Maybe you should read some modern political theorists if you like that topic.
John Rawls (arguably the most influential political philosopher in the 20th century) , John Roemer, Friedrich A. Hayek, and Robert Nozick come to mind. Especially Rawls and Nozick if you liked Alexis de Tocqueville.

#2250 Beatofficer

Beatofficer

GOT HEEEEEM!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 January 2011 - 11:12 PM

Reading the new version of Kevin Smith's my boring ass life. Though I read most of this stuff when he was doing his online diary, it's still a great read, I'm excited to get to the Me and my Shadow portion, which talks about Jason Mewes battle with addiction and his friendship with Kevin Smith.
!San Francisco Giants 2010 & 2012 World Series Champions!

Posted Image