Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

What are you currently reading? Post here!

• Please log in to reply
3746 replies to this topic

#2371 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2011 - 05:54 PM

Finished Feast for Crows a year ago. Should be fresh enough in my mind. I probably won't read the next book until it comes out in paperback though

I finished this, and it was difficult to read with all the flash-backs, flash-sideways and switches in first person narration mid stride.
Posted Image

Started a Charlie Huston, Joe Pitt book. Had to start with the second book in the series because that's the earliest the library had. It's nice. I like world-weary dark noir, although the 'vampires' seem like they're just thrown in for marketing. The book would have worked just fine without them.

Posted Image

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#2372 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2011 - 05:56 PM

And this is what the ad-bar up top suggests I go visit.

http://pagead2.googl...WjIIofwzhXGFGno

Would anyone like to give a try reading these? So rugged, so masculine. So....cowboy. Take a cowboy home.

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#2373 dothog

dothog

n ur race snakin mai kart

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2011 - 06:10 PM

I finished this, and it was difficult to read with all the flash-backs, flash-sideways and switches in first person narration mid stride.

Difficult to read, but still rewarding? Or intentionally obtuse?
Posted ImagePosted Image

#2374 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2011 - 08:00 PM

Difficult to read, but still rewarding? Or intentionally obtuse?

Difficult until the last third of the book where you finally start getting a feel for the world you've just been dropped into.

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#2375 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2011 - 08:04 PM

Those cowboy books look like they're made by the same people that make the Amish romance books.

Posted Image

#2376 RAMSTORIA

RAMSTORIA

fate is inexorable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 March 2011 - 08:46 PM

I ended up staying up late and finishing The Well of Ascension and read the first couple chapters of The Hero of Ages. I didn't really like the way the 2nd book wrapped up. I just wish they had explained a littler more (yes I know I have the last book right there and it will probably be covered soon enough). Still on a whole I'd have to say I am really enjoying the series.

Posted Image

#2377 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 06 March 2011 - 04:19 PM

Finished A Clash of Kings and started:

Posted Image

Oddly the 3rd book isn't fully formatted on Kindle like the first two were. Text is fine, but it lacks the chapter tick marks on the progress bar, and doesn't have the new page number feature the first two supported. Oh well, text is formatted fine at least.

Edited by dmaul1114, 06 March 2011 - 05:42 PM.

3DS Friend Code: 2595-0524-8826

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#2378 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2011 - 05:19 PM

Finished A Feast for Crows and now reading Stranger in a Strange Land

Posted Image
Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein

Posted Image

#2379 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2011 - 06:20 PM

Only about 50 pages in, but I'm enjoying it so far.
Posted Image

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#2380 Halo05

Halo05

Posted 06 March 2011 - 06:23 PM

Reading The Village by Bing West again
Posted Image

aka - how the Marine Corps could have won in Vietnam if the Army wasn't in charge of the overall campaign.

As many of you know, black ops 2 is plaid with bugs, lag etc which many people have been suffering including me.

plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid plaid

#2381 RAMSTORIA

RAMSTORIA

fate is inexorable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 March 2011 - 07:48 PM

Only about 50 pages in, but I'm enjoying it so far.
Posted Image

great series.

Posted Image

#2382 crunchb3rry

crunchb3rry

Posted 07 March 2011 - 04:42 AM

I got halfway through The Blade Itself but it didn't latch onto me. Does it pick up in the last half? I might give it a second chance.

I heard Joe's newest book is really good, like the previous efforts were just him honing his craft and that he's in a higher tier as a writer now.

#2383 RAMSTORIA

RAMSTORIA

fate is inexorable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 March 2011 - 07:23 PM

I got halfway through The Blade Itself but it didn't latch onto me. Does it pick up in the last half? I might give it a second chance.

I heard Joe's newest book is really good, like the previous efforts were just him honing his craft and that he's in a higher tier as a writer now.

i would definitely say it picks up in the second half. the series as a whole is very satisfying. he wrote a stand alone book that takes place in the same work (Best Served Cold) but is in a different part of the world that isn't talked about much in the trilogy. the stand alone that just came out (The Heroes) is also set in the same world and goes back to the part of the world that the trilogy is on.

i hope somebody buys me The Heroes for my birthday this month...

Posted Image

#2384 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2011 - 04:22 PM

Just by looking over the new arrivals page at the library's website it seems like 25% of the new books are "female vampire/werewolf/shapeshifter is a cop/PI/something else and is hunted but teams up with a mysterious man who she doesnt know she can trust".

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#2385 cindersphere

cindersphere

Running on no sleep

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 March 2011 - 07:22 PM

Just by looking over the new arrivals page at the library's website it seems like 25% of the new books are "female vampire/werewolf/shapeshifter is a cop/PI/something else and is hunted but teams up with a mysterious man who she doesnt know she can trust".

Wasn't that also 50% of the books released in the past year.

Reading The Spirit Level: Why Greater Equality Makes Societies Stronger by Richard Wilkinson and Kate Pickett.
Religion ends and philosophy begins, just as alchemy ends and chemistry begins and astrology ends, and astronomy begins. - Christopher Hitchens 1949-2011

#2386 ian1418

ian1418

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 March 2011 - 10:36 AM

Finished re-reading The Name of the Wind and read The Wise Man's Fear. The Wise Man's Fear was exceptionally good. It outdid its predecessor and may be the best book I have read in at least a decade. I recommend it to anyone who is a enjoys reading, no matter of what genre you are a fan.

#2387 The Crotch

The Crotch

I was famous and I was powerful.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 March 2011 - 12:40 PM

Jesus Christ it took me a while to get through Blood Meridian.

Beautifully god damn written, but holy horse cocks, McCarthy - way to make a cast of characters that I give absolutely zero fucks about.

Posted Image

#2388 PopcornBandit

PopcornBandit

Holy Zombie Jesus!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 March 2011 - 01:01 PM

Just Finished:
Posted Image

Still Reading:
Posted Image

#2389 RAMSTORIA

RAMSTORIA

fate is inexorable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 March 2011 - 02:53 PM

Finished re-reading The Name of the Wind and read The Wise Man's Fear. The Wise Man's Fear was exceptionally good. It outdid its predecessor and may be the best book I have read in at least a decade. I recommend it to anyone who is a enjoys reading, no matter of what genre you are a fan.

How are the endings?Do they leave a lot open, resolve well? I know it's a fairly new series and am very wary of starting it since it could be many years before it's done.

#2390 ATK

ATK

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 March 2011 - 03:24 PM

I loveed Name of the Wind. Seriously it was probably one of my favorite books ever. I am was waiting on WMF till Spring Break so I could read it relaxed. I am probably picking it up today....

Posted Image

#2391 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 March 2011 - 05:47 PM

Finished:

Posted Image

good example of 'pulp' fiction. Detective novel with nary a detective or moral character around.

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#2392 ian1418

ian1418

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 March 2011 - 11:38 PM

How are the endings?Do they leave a lot open, resolve well? I know it's a fairly new series and am very wary of starting it since it could be many years before it's done.

Some of the major plot themes from the first book are resolved, while new ones are created and left open. As the middle book of a trilogy, everything couldn't be resolved in this book. It was better than In the Name of the Wind and it was recently voted to be one of the 10 best books of the last decade.

#2393 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2011 - 04:53 PM

Just to keep this thread going:

I started this last night at work. Between reading on my second break and a slow last hour I got threw 100 pages. A little shallow, but not bad.

Posted Image

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#2394 ian1418

ian1418

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2011 - 05:08 AM

Reading Old Man's War by John Scalzi. It is supposed to be one of the 10 best sci-fi & fantasy books of the past 10 years. Only about 30-40 pages in, but it is pretty good so far.

#2395 Confucius

Confucius

Yeah I fixed it

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2011 - 05:38 AM

Nocturnes

#2396 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2011 - 11:23 AM

Finished Stranger in a Strange Land and on to Cataloochee

Posted Image
Cataloochee: A Novel by Wayne Caldwell

Posted Image

#2397 Mr Unoriginal

Mr Unoriginal

Cheap Amish Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2011 - 11:28 AM

Started "Dry" by Augusten Burroughs. I read Running with Scissors not too long ago and liked it. Burroughs isn't as laugh out loud funny as someone like Sedaris but there are so many wtf moments.

Its too bad you're still a prick with a stupid gimmick.

#2398 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2011 - 11:53 AM

You're not reading that by refrigerator light are you?

Posted Image

#2399 Mr Unoriginal

Mr Unoriginal

Cheap Amish Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2011 - 12:05 PM

Well the house was a little warm and I needed to cool off...

Its too bad you're still a prick with a stupid gimmick.

#2400 cindersphere

cindersphere

Running on no sleep

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 March 2011 - 08:35 PM

Reading Egalitarian Perspectives by John Roemer.
Religion ends and philosophy begins, just as alchemy ends and chemistry begins and astrology ends, and astronomy begins. - Christopher Hitchens 1949-2011