Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

What are you currently reading? Post here!

• Please log in to reply
3746 replies to this topic

#2401 RAMSTORIA

RAMSTORIA

fate is inexorable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 March 2011 - 01:33 AM

Some of the major plot themes from the first book are resolved, while new ones are created and left open. As the middle book of a trilogy, everything couldn't be resolved in this book. It was better than In the Name of the Wind and it was recently voted to be one of the 10 best books of the last decade.

Hmm well I think I'll try and hold off until the 3rd book comes out. Even though I've heard nothing but good things.

#2402 ATK

ATK

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 March 2011 - 11:51 PM

Man. Oh man. I just finished reading The Wise Man's Fear, and there were parts were I seriously was just WOW! I loved Name of the Wind, I mean absolutely adored it..but Wise Man's Fear topped it in my opinion.

Now comes the hard task of deciding what to read next.. I think I might pick up the second Game of Thrones book. I really enjoyed the first, I didn't continue with the second then because I wanted to reread Name of the Wind. Part of me kind of wants to pick up the last "Blackest Night" segment of the Green Lantern arc, but I can wait. I want to have all of "Blackest Night" and "Brightest Day" before I totally dive into that.

I've heard that "Planetary" by Warren Ellis was really good too, have any of you read that? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Posted Image

#2403 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 March 2011 - 12:02 AM

In addition to Cataloochee I've started reading Guns, Germs, and Steel

Posted Image
Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond

Posted Image

#2404 ian1418

ian1418

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 March 2011 - 08:14 AM

Guns, Germs and Steel was very good. I read it a couple of years ago for a class in graduate school. How did you like it?

#2405 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 March 2011 - 12:09 PM

I'm only 60 pages in right now but so far so good.

Posted Image

#2406 jumpiestranger2

jumpiestranger2

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 March 2011 - 12:17 PM

Its a good read. His run on "Stormwatch" is good too especially Change or Die story.

#2407 cindersphere

cindersphere

Running on no sleep

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2011 - 03:24 AM

Read Freakonomics. Not that good, a few chapters were interesting, the others not so much. Felt like most of the chapters were mostly sociology with facts added in later to justify a preconceived notion.
Religion ends and philosophy begins, just as alchemy ends and chemistry begins and astrology ends, and astronomy begins. - Christopher Hitchens 1949-2011

#2408 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 March 2011 - 04:45 PM

This. Futuristic violent dystopia. Only 40 pages or so in.

Posted Image

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#2409 ian1418

ian1418

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 March 2011 - 02:36 AM

Now that The Crippled God is out, I am contemplating a re-read of the entire Malazan Books of the Fallen series by Steven Erikson.

#2410 StarKnightX

StarKnightX

will hook you up

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 March 2011 - 05:08 AM

Not something I'm currently reading but something I'm interested in reading. I'm thinking about checking out Romance of the Three Kingdoms and Journey to the West , anyone read them that can recommend a good version/edition/translation? There are several of each available on Amazon and reviews between version seem hit and miss.

#2411 5of9

5of9

Resistance is Futile

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2011 - 12:42 PM

THE GATHERING STORM by Jordan/Sanderson. FINALLY this story is wrapping up. Lost interest years ago due to delays etc. but Sanderson is doing a great job tying everything together.

Posted Image

#2412 kill3r7

kill3r7

MiNd ThE GaP

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2011 - 05:26 PM

Finished Name of the Wind Posted Image. About to start the Wise Man's Fear Posted Image.
Xecutioner
CML

#2413 Nifty_Shark

Nifty_Shark

Still not The Guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2011 - 11:36 PM

Reading "Scar Tissue". Anthony Keidis biography.

#2414 Msut77

Msut77

Occam's Shank

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2011 - 11:42 PM

Read Freakonomics. Not that good, a few chapters were interesting, the others not so much. Felt like most of the chapters were mostly sociology with facts added in later to justify a preconceived notion.

You definitely hit the nail right there.

I can see how people who know little about economics find it incredible (I have a friend who goes to MIT who calls this the Gladwell effect) but there are better books that are just as short/accessible and more informative.

#2415 paulina7m

paulina7m

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2011 - 08:46 AM

Reading Scott Westerfeld's The Midnight Hour. (This reminds me of Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3)
I am a big fan of PC browser games. Don't push downloads on me. :roll:

My website: Virtual Life Games

#2416 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 28 March 2011 - 12:32 PM

Finished A Storm of Swords and started:

Posted Image

3DS Friend Code: 2595-0524-8826

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#2417 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2011 - 02:05 PM

The show starts in 3 weeks :bouncy:

Posted Image

#2418 eldergamer

eldergamer

Gold Star For Robot Boy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2011 - 03:55 PM

I'm looking forward to the show although I doubt I'll get around to watching it until later. Definately can't watch it when the kids are up, and it's usually game time once they go to bed.

MC-2SD-Out.png<

#2419 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 28 March 2011 - 04:02 PM

Yeah, I"ll probably watch it later as well since I don't get HBO. I think I read it will be free to stream online, but I'd rather wait and watch in HD on the TV or when it comes out on disc since I can't hook up a PC to my big screen currently (it's older and doesn't have a PC input and my laptop and desktop only have RGB outputs).

3DS Friend Code: 2595-0524-8826

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#2420 Msut77

Msut77

Occam's Shank

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2011 - 05:43 PM

Bonk by Mary Roach.

#2421 giantqtipz

giantqtipz

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2011 - 05:47 PM

Idk if this counts, but I'm reading the "essentials of investments -8th edition" by Zvi Bodie for my midterm this thursday

#2422 RockinTheRedDog

RockinTheRedDog

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 March 2011 - 06:46 PM

I just finished David Sedaris' Holidays on Ice. It was my first Sedaris book. While the first few stories were good, the last few stories left me feeling uneasy. I like hearing him on This American Life and The Moth Stories though...how are his other books?

Started to read Michael J. Fox's Always Looking Up yesterday.

#2423 Mr Unoriginal

Mr Unoriginal

Cheap Amish Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 March 2011 - 06:51 PM

I just finished David Sedaris' Holidays on Ice. It was my first Sedaris book. While the first few stories were good, the last few stories left me feeling uneasy. I like hearing him on This American Life and The Moth Stories though...how are his other books?.

I think most of his books are more funny than sad or bittersweet. Holidays on Ice is actually one of the few I didn't read but I really liked all the other ones. Naked is the most 'novel-like' of all his novels. It has a few essays up front but the second half of the book is about his time in a nudist colony.

Its too bad you're still a prick with a stupid gimmick.

#2424 qwikstreet

qwikstreet

Posted 29 March 2011 - 07:15 PM

World War Z and reading Dark Aprentice (Jedi Academy Trilogy) to my 10 year old for our bedtime reading.
Posted Image
| Blog |

#2425 silentevil

silentevil

Most evil man ever!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 March 2011 - 07:30 PM

Mythology by Edith Hamilton, refrence book about classical mythology & The Fat Man: A Tale of North Pole Noir. Fat Man is short (276 pgs) but it's a great book that brings in characters from other memorable Xmas stories. Not crazy violent but not book for kids either.

#2426 RockinTheRedDog

RockinTheRedDog

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 March 2011 - 08:00 PM

Mythology by Edith Hamilton, refrence book about classical mythology & The Fat Man: A Tale of North Pole Noir. Fat Man is short (276 pgs) but it's a great book that brings in characters from other memorable Xmas stories. Not crazy violent but not book for kids either.

Ahh! I just saw that book (The Fat Man: A Tale of North Pole Noir) in Borders and I was curious but put it back. I need to lessen my To Read pile before I can buy new books...even though Borders is going out of business and has 50% off...

I'll list it on my Good Reads to remind me to keep it in mind.

#2427 thefallingscream

thefallingscream

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 March 2011 - 10:47 PM

These Dexter books are amazing I went to a goodwill and got Darkly Dreaming Dexter and Devoted Dexter for $2!

#2428 PopcornBandit

PopcornBandit

Holy Zombie Jesus!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 March 2011 - 04:49 PM

Posted Image

Awesome, awesome book.

#2429 silentevil

silentevil

Most evil man ever!!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 March 2011 - 02:03 AM

Ahh! I just saw that book (The Fat Man: A Tale of North Pole Noir) in Borders and I was curious but put it back. I need to lessen my To Read pile before I can buy new books...even though Borders is going out of business and has 50% off...

I'll list it on my Good Reads to remind me to keep it in mind.

That's where I picked it up at.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#2430 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 March 2011 - 10:29 PM

Finished Cataloochee and now on to The Afghan Campaign and After London, or Wild England

Posted Image
The Afghan Campaign by Steven Pressfield

Posted Image
After London: or, Wild England by Richard Jefferies

Posted Image