Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

What are you currently reading? Post here!

• Please log in to reply
3746 replies to this topic

#241 MidnightRain

MidnightRain

adventures in solitude

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2008 - 10:11 PM

I read The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs last week. I'm generally not a fan of modern chick lit, but I enjoyed this one.
"He said nothing. Very sarcastically."

AC: CF Info
Ruth / Kingston /
1462-0701-5648

#242 doctorfaustus

doctorfaustus

Posted 13 May 2008 - 10:16 PM

I'm reading The Road by Cormac McCarthy Amazing book

Great, great novel by an American master.

#243 mrchainsaw

mrchainsaw

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2008 - 10:34 PM

I've been reading bits of various America's Best Nonrequired Reading books. I don't have time to focus on a single, long story so these short ones are good for me at the moment.

#244 SneakyPenguin

SneakyPenguin

Agent of SHIELD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 May 2008 - 10:37 PM

I'm reading The Road by Cormac McCarthy Amazing book

How's it compare to No Country? Same style? I ask because I'm very interested in The Road, as I loved McCarthy's style in No Country, and making something post-apocalyptic is always awesome for me.

By four o'clock I've discounted suicide in favor of killing everyone else in the entire world instead.

#245 Liquid 2

Liquid 2

Dutch Dreams

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 May 2008 - 12:45 AM

Just started The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins.

How's that?

I finished Rand's Anthem, and I've started The Fountainhead.

#246 Mr_hockey66

Mr_hockey66

Lets go pens!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 May 2008 - 12:59 AM

I have nothing to read :-(

I have no money to buy something to read :-(

Some one hook me up with halo: contact harvest Or mass Effect: revalations I'll trade a game to ya or paypal. Send me a pm
check out my tradelist :
http://www.cheapassg...mar-and-wwe-13/

#247 paz9x

paz9x

Posted 14 May 2008 - 01:29 AM

How's it compare to No Country? Same style? I ask because I'm very interested in The Road, as I loved McCarthy's style in No Country, and making something post-apocalyptic is always awesome for me.

the road is VERY good. i have issues with the ending though nothing major.
i think the perfect description is a cross between the road to perdition and children of men.

I just ordered blood meridian and child of god.
i want to pick up suttree too, but i figured id put that off.
I really like mccarthy.

im currently reading a prayer for owen meany.
"I am the Walrus" "Shut the Fuck up Donnie"

Posted Image

#248 mrchainsaw

mrchainsaw

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 May 2008 - 01:31 AM

Some one hook me up with halo: contact harvest Or mass Effect: revalations I'll trade a game to ya or paypal. Send me a pm

You don't have a library you can get some books from?

#249 Predator21281

Predator21281

The Parking Lot Pimp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 May 2008 - 01:50 AM

Just finished The Gun Seller by Hugh Laurie. Great novel and it's pretty funny.

Next up shall be As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner or Catch-22 by Joseph Heller.
Brawl Friend Code
Gull 5198 2154 2481

#250 Stoneage

Stoneage

Don't touch my stuff!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 May 2008 - 01:58 AM

One word: Library.
[IMG][IMG]http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/8568/mekonsmaskscopylo0.th.jpg[/IMG][/IMG]

#251 paz9x

paz9x

Posted 14 May 2008 - 02:06 AM

I'm not one of those people who hate Rand, The Fountainhead is one of the few books I reread every year. (?), PROFIT. Maybe things will pick up in the latter half.

I have the fountainhead sitting on my shelf. i plan to read it over summer.
I have a big que slated for the summer.
"I am the Walrus" "Shut the Fuck up Donnie"

Posted Image

#252 relicbane

relicbane

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 May 2008 - 02:38 AM

I just started reading rogue squadron (star wars x wing series) and am loving it.:D

#253 deszaras

deszaras

Wait...what?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 May 2008 - 10:28 AM

One word: Library.

Agreed; the library is awesome. I've read so many books for free because of them. As much as I love having the actual book displayed on my shelves, you can't argue with free.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#254 ighosty

ighosty

I just lost the game.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 May 2008 - 12:29 PM

I get almost all my books at the library, unless it is a gift. With the ability to renew books online, you can keep them for months (unless someone else wants them), which means you can reread them if you wish. Plus since I use my university library, they have many books which can't even be bought anymore, books that are out of edition or very old.
Posted Image
Currently Playing:
:360: SKATE 2
:ps3: Killzone 2
:ps2: Rogue Galaxy

#255 munch

munch

la tête de CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 May 2008 - 12:37 PM

Polio: An American Story by David Oshinsky

#256 strummerbs

strummerbs

Posted 14 May 2008 - 02:04 PM

Just finished City of Glass by Paul Auster. Started his Oracle Night yesterday, and am also reading a Cometbus anthology.
Posted Image

#257 MorPhiend

MorPhiend

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 May 2008 - 02:18 PM

High Crimes and Misdemeanors. So far it's great.

#258 Mr Unoriginal

Mr Unoriginal

Cheap Amish Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 May 2008 - 03:00 PM

Finally collected all the novels of the Dark Tower series from book sales etc and I'm starting that. Midway through book two and really liking it.

Its too bad you're still a prick with a stupid gimmick.

#259 pittpizza

pittpizza

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 May 2008 - 03:25 PM

I am currently reading Tears Of The Moon by Nora Roberts, Brother Odd by Dean Koontz, and rereading So Long And Thanks For All The Fish by Douglas Adams.

What is So Long and Thanks For All The Fish about? I ask b/c my favorite band (NoFX) has a song called So Long and Thanks for All the Shoes so obviously it made quite an impression on them.
Wii-Sixty FTWiin. Fanboys STFU & GTFO!

Now playing: Assassin's Creed 2, Battlestations Pacific, Madden 10, Army of Two, 40th Day.

Recently beat: Bioshock (again).

#260 bmachine

bmachine

somewhat damaged

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 May 2008 - 03:26 PM

How's that? (The God Delusion)

I loved it, but he's definitely preaching to the choir with me.

Dawkins is generally pretty angry (borderline hostile, actually) but always really witty and animated. I wouldn't say that I learned anything from reading it but it was very engaging and validating...I found myself nodding in agreement to a lot of his passages. He sort of puts words and evidence to a lot of things I've always felt about faith, science, and religion but have never been able to articulate intellectually.

I'd recommend it.

I got a big stack of "new atheist lit" for Christmas (and I love the irony of that, by the way) and I'm working my way through it. Christopher Hitchins' The Portable Atheist: Essential Readings for the Nonbeliever is next.

What is So Long and Thanks For All The Fish about?

I haven't read it in a long time so I can't give you a detailed plot description, but it's one of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy books. Very witty, very British sci-fi.

"So long and thanks for all the fish" is what the dolphins wrote in a note to Earth before it was destroyed, if I remember correctly. Fat Mike is a big Adams fan, apparently.

High Crimes and Misdemeanors.

Ann Coulter has the biggest dick I've ever seen on a woman.

#261 Mr Unoriginal

Mr Unoriginal

Cheap Amish Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 May 2008 - 03:27 PM

What is So Long and Thanks For All The Fish about? I ask b/c my favorite band (NoFX) has a song called So Long and Thanks for All the Shoes so obviously it made quite an impression on them.

It's part of the Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy series.

Its too bad you're still a prick with a stupid gimmick.

#262 SneakyPenguin

SneakyPenguin

Agent of SHIELD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 May 2008 - 05:57 PM

the road is VERY good. i have issues with the ending though nothing major.
i think the perfect description is a cross between the road to perdition and children of men.

I just ordered blood meridian and child of god.
i want to pick up suttree too, but i figured id put that off.
I really like mccarthy.

Well that settles it, this book is getting got.

By four o'clock I've discounted suicide in favor of killing everyone else in the entire world instead.

#263 pittpizza

pittpizza

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 May 2008 - 06:20 PM

Damn BMachine, that is exactly the info I was looking for. I'm definitely going to check it out.

He also cites lyrically to Noam Chomsky and Howard Zinn in his music too, which I've done some reading of and really found it truthfully infuriating.

Looks like you know a thing or two about NoFX, are you a fan? Ever see their show on Fuse TV?
Wii-Sixty FTWiin. Fanboys STFU & GTFO!

Now playing: Assassin's Creed 2, Battlestations Pacific, Madden 10, Army of Two, 40th Day.

Recently beat: Bioshock (again).

#264 Guest_Apossum_*

Guest_Apossum_*

Posted 14 May 2008 - 06:26 PM

Currently reading Hardboiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami. So weird, but really good--it's 2 novels, which alternate between chapters, but they're connected.

I'm considering sticking with Japanese fiction with my next book or finally reading No Country for Old Men or Children of Men.

#265 micro44

micro44

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 May 2008 - 06:29 PM

I just won an ebay auction for 8 Chuck Palahniuk books which arrived in the mail today. I am planning on starting with "Choke" since the movie version of that book comes out in this August.

#266 SneakyPenguin

SneakyPenguin

Agent of SHIELD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 May 2008 - 06:33 PM

Currently reading Hardboiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami. So weird, but really good--it's 2 novels, which alternate between chapters, but they're connected.

Now that sounds interesting. Reminds me of Only Revolutions, by Danielewski.

#267 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 May 2008 - 07:03 PM

I just won an ebay auction for 8 Chuck Palahniuk books which arrived in the mail today. I am planning on starting with "Choke" since the movie version of that book comes out in this August.

Invisible Monsters was crazy

Posted Image

#268 Nixon's Revenge

Nixon's Revenge

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 May 2008 - 09:55 PM

Naked Lunch by Bill Burroughs.

Read this and Queer back in high school but it was time to get back into them again.

#269 doctorfaustus

doctorfaustus

Posted 14 May 2008 - 10:47 PM

Invisible Monsters was crazy

Yes. Invisible Monsters and Survivor are my favorite Palahniuk novels.

#270 MorPhiend

MorPhiend

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 May 2008 - 02:16 AM

Ann Coulter has the biggest dick I've ever seen on a woman.

That's one reason I like her so much. Wait... that didn't sound right... What I mean is, when so many people can be so irrationally hostile to a satirist, they must be doing something right.

Normally, she is pure entertainment. But this book is so spot on and so intelligent, it is frightening. She really is a smart woman. It's just sad that people take her inflammatory speech the wrong way.:lol: