What exactly is a "flame" on CAG?

WhipSmartBanky

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
I posed this question in another thread but atreyue suggested it would be useful as its own discussion:

What exactly is considered a flame? Personally I think it's an outright hurtful insult or indictment, but I see a lot of users throwing the term around to refer to just about any statement that they don't agree with or offends them in even the slightest way.

If you seriously want to cut down on "flaming" then there needs to be a clear cut definition of what's a flame is, and one that ALL of the moderators can agree and adhere to in order to level "punishment" consistently.

Well like I said on the other thread - this term is very subjective and no one will ever agree to a universal meaning.

What may be an insult to you may be a joke to another. Some people will laugh if you tell them to go suck on an egg, while others will go crazy and try to kill your ass.

my little voice was heard! *sob*

any malicious attack, particularly on someone's character, previous post issues, size of their wang, or their canadianess. Some people just like to talk a lot of shit and insult instead of converse.

i think ur all right...i guess its just an open attack on sum1, usually not related to the topic..example

poster A:boy i think that nintendo sure is a winner!
poster B: gee, ur right about that one! i like gameboys!
poster C: U LIKE BOYS TOO!! AND UR DI*K IS TINY!! AND UR GEEEY!!!! OMG PWND!! KEKEKEKE U SUCK!!

can u spot the flamer :)?

A post that contains some form of content. :wink:

In all seriousness, people are offended too easily. I've seen flame wars erupt over completely innocent comments. We really need to stop doing that.

[quote name='Gothic_Walrus']A post that contains some form of content. :wink:

In all seriousness, people are offended too easily. I've seen flame wars erupt over completely innocent comments. We really need to stop doing that.[/quote]

A stern warning from a mod should take care of that, followed by splitting the thread and banishing that part to the Flamewar Deathmatch forum.

Yeah Banky, if you don't know what a flame is then you're a fucking idiot. I wipe my nose with your candy white ass.........wait, was that a flame or a freudian slip. Damn, I just can't keep them straight anymore. Never mind. oh well, XBOX SUX !

I would like a clear cut agreed definition of flaming too, but here's my best guess:

An intentionally malicious and zealously offensive insult or comment about another poster. This includes but is not limited to racial slurs, personal attacks, and character assasination. A negative comment about another poster's traits that is frankly stated with the intension of aggravating or insulting the target.

That was my best shot at defining flaming.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']I posed this question in another thread but atreyue suggested it would be useful as its own discussion:

What exactly is considered a flame? Personally I think it's an outright hurtful insult or indictment, but I see a lot of users throwing the term around to refer to just about any statement that they don't agree with or offends them in even the slightest way.

If you seriously want to cut down on "flaming" then there needs to be a clear cut definition of what's a flame is, and one that ALL of the moderators can agree and adhere to in order to level "punishment" consistently.[/quote]
I agree. Where do the mods draw the fine line ? Hmmm :whistle2:k

I would have to agree with the intentional and hurtful part. Some people do take certain things different though. It takes alot to actually offend or hurt me, especially on the net. Others get offended at almost anything....

I think it all has to do with how people react. Most of the time, if someone who'd taken offense at something had just said so calmiy, they would get an equally calm apology, and all would be forgiven. But people are challenged and feel the need to fight back, leading to more and more anger. I think everyone who all of the sudden feels threatened should just stop and remember it is just some guy sitting at his computer, nothing more, and that just not responding is probably the best thing to do.

bread's done
Back