Best Buy Clearance Deals - B&M - YMMV

TheRaven

Banned
At one of the new Best Buy's in our area, they have a clearance section for games. Everything in it is 40% off. I picked up Front Mission 4 and Onimusha 3 for 8.99 . Also got Metroid: Zero Mission for 16.99. They had some other good games: Chronicles of Riddick, Viewtiful Joe , Metroid Prime, Luigi's Mansion, FF Chronicles, FF Anthology, and a variety of others I cannot remember.

The only catch is that you have to get a BB employee to fill out a sheet before going to the cash register, otherwise the cashier will ring them up at full price. I haven't checked any other BB's in my area, so as of now, I only know that this one store is participating, but I am sure some others someplace else is doing something similiar. I asked if this was for all Best Buys and the employee said that only some were doing it to clear excess stock with all the new games coming out that they are looking to push. I found it odd that this store that was less than 3-4 months old would have so much stock though.

For those close to West Des Moines, Iowa, the one I went to was by the new Jordan Creek Town Center.

Sorry if this is a repost.

I do remember someone last week saying they got FM4 for 40% off at Best Buy. Do you remember what the name of the form you had to sign?

I wanna try this at my local Best Buy.

The filling out the form thing may be a tactic to prevent one dude from buying all the good games at once. The Circuit City in union square does something similar, the popular games are hidden on the wall behind customer service and you gotta go ask for them. They made me wait in line for 15 minutes for Final Fantasy Dawn of Souls ($25) only to tell me its out of stock. :evil:

I don't remember the name of the form, it was just a standard form they use for price matches as well though. The employee just rights the name of the games on it, what the original price is and then at the bottom puts 40% off all games. I then give the form and the games to the cashier, who then takes the deduction off.

There are signs indicating what section is on clearance and also indicate that you have to get an employee from the gaming section before checking out. I have done this on two trips now and it has been hassle free each time. Takes about 2 minutes total.

[quote name='Milkyman']The filling out the form thing may be a tactic to prevent one dude from buying all the good games at once. The Circuit City in union square does something similar, the popular games are hidden on the wall behind customer service and you gotta go ask for them. They made me wait in line for 15 minutes for Final Fantasy Dawn of Souls ($25) only to tell me its out of stock. :evil:[/quote]

Good point.

[quote name='nachzeher']It's time for the devil customers to visit Best Buy.[/quote]

TRU is by a BB in my area.. I'll check them out... besides... I gotta go there to make a return... :?

Sounds interesting. TheRaven, where do they house this 40% off/clearance section? Is it just mingled in with the rest of the gaming section or on the side?

I don't think this is happening at my BB (just was there the other day) but maybe at one of the others/if they remodel it in the future.

At my local Best Buy last night, they had a big shelf section near the front of the store that has had clearance games on it for AGES with a big yellow sign that says if you buy two games, you get 50% off. Unfortunately, all the games still have the full-price stickers on them, so it didn't seem like much of a clearance to me at the time, especially when you have to buy TWO games to qualify for it. Some of the titles are ones that I'd be interested in picking up cheap, including FF:CC, Phantom Brave, Onimusha 3, etc, but I don't think the deal the OP is referring to is happening at my BB. :(

The clearance section is at the far end of the video game section at my BB. They are all seperated from the rest of the video games in its own aisle.

Corporate doesn't like too many store-specific bundles/discounts (those forms change the price for open items, bargained discounts, etc.), but I suppose there is some leeway for local management to try different sales tactics. Don't expect this in too many stores just yet, but if it works, the concept might spread. This could still simply be a case of a store marking stuff down a bit more to move. The idea of limiting customer purchases (to be protected from dealers, "demon" customers, and so forth) in an interesting one, however.

I do keep checking the clearance shelf I talked about in my previous post, just because the games NEVER seem to disappear. They just sit there, visit after visit, and it's obvious to me that their current "clearance" deal on them just isn't going to cut the mustard. I mean, seriously, these games were hanging on the big square floor-standing racks before they shelved them near the checkouts, and people weren't buying them at that point, so then they move them to this shelf unit to get rid of the racks and because they were adding more games to their "clearance." Eventually, they'll have to go cheaper on them or do something else, and when they do, this "demon" customer will be waiting.

And you know what else? They'll pay me for being a "demon" customer, because I'll use my Reward Zone card when I buy the stuff, and I paid off my initial investment on that the very first time I used it. :twisted:

[quote name='darkwingduck13']I do keep checking the clearance shelf I talked about in my previous post, just because the games NEVER seem to disappear. They just sit there, visit after visit, and it's obvious to me that their current "clearance" deal on them just isn't going to cut the mustard. I mean, seriously, these games were hanging on the big square floor-standing racks before they shelved them near the checkouts, and people weren't buying them at that point, so then they move them to this shelf unit to get rid of the racks and because they were adding more games to their "clearance." Eventually, they'll have to go cheaper on them or do something else, and when they do, this "demon" customer will be waiting.

And you know what else? They'll pay me for being a "demon" customer, because I'll use my Reward Zone card when I buy the stuff, and I paid off my initial investment on that the very first time I used it. :twisted:[/quote]

Fellow demon customer checking in... yeah, buddy! :evil:

[quote name='organicow']i'm headin gto BB in a bit anyway - I'll report my findings for any fellow Atlanta area CAGs.[/quote]

I'm off to the location in Tucker, GA... afterwards, it's off to TRU for their sale... I'll post my report when I return.

Guess this is worth a look. Still havent picked up FM4 or Onimusha 3, now might be the time. If theres a sign or anything I'll take a pic with my camera phone and post it to give a heads up. Thanks for the info OP.

[quote name='Fatesealer']
Fellow demon customer checking in... yeah, buddy! :evil:[/quote]

Heheheh...heck yes. Don't buy 'till you see just 3 digits in their price, boys! :lol:

And yes, pics of the signage would be cool. I've been wondering for a long time if this "Buy 2 get 50% off clearance" sale was happening just at my BB. The signs look like they may have been made in-store.

Wow, that's interesting...I'll have to check out my Best Buy, sounds like a very wierd deal. But, if I can get games for cheap, I'm all for it :)

Yea, I was afraid it would be a major YMMV, but hopefully some people will have some luck. I've never seen BB have a clearance sale quite like this before.

I went and no sale... but I did pick up a mispriced copy of Front Mission 4 for $14.99 (the tag has it at $29.99).

Whoa...FM4 rang up at $14.99? It's priced $29.99 at my store too. Makes me wonder about that "clearance" they've been having for a while...I wonder if I picked up FM4 and another game off of that shelf, would FM4 ring up at $14.99 and then take half off? That might be worth investigating......

[quote name='darkwingduck13']Whoa...FM4 rang up at $14.99? It's priced $29.99 at my store too. Makes me wonder about that "clearance" they've been having for a while...I wonder if I picked up FM4 and another game off of that shelf, would FM4 ring up at $14.99 and then take half off? That might be worth investigating......[/quote]

FM4 has been $14.99 at BBs everywhere for a while now. They must've just fogotten to udpate the prices at your store.

[quote name='Fatesealer'][quote name='organicow']i'm headin gto BB in a bit anyway - I'll report my findings for any fellow Atlanta area CAGs.[/quote]

I'm off to the location in Tucker, GA... afterwards, it's off to TRU for their sale... I'll post my report when I return.[/quote]

damn dude - we probably saw eachother at BB; that is the same BB and TRU I go to! Don't know about you, but i didn't find jack shit on clearance at BB. They did have an assload of PSOnes all of a sudden; I haven't seen at PSOne at BB in ages....wonder why the sudden stock?

[quote name='nachzeher'][quote name='darkwingduck13']Whoa...FM4 rang up at $14.99? It's priced $29.99 at my store too. Makes me wonder about that "clearance" they've been having for a while...I wonder if I picked up FM4 and another game off of that shelf, would FM4 ring up at $14.99 and then take half off? That might be worth investigating......[/quote]

FM4 has been $14.99 at BBs everywhere for a while now. They must've just fogotten to udpate the prices at your store.[/quote]

It's gonna stay sealed until I finish Tales of Symphonia...

Seriously if any of you pass up cheap ass Phantom Braves you should be shot.

Anyone checked out any of the Mass stores, im definatly down with cheap Onimusha 3 and FFCC

[quote name='darkwingduck13'][quote name='Fatesealer']
Fellow demon customer checking in... yeah, buddy! :evil:[/quote]

Heheheh...heck yes. Don't buy 'till you see just 3 digits in their price, boys! :lol:

And yes, pics of the signage would be cool. I've been wondering for a long time if this "Buy 2 get 50% off clearance" sale was happening just at my BB. The signs look like they may have been made in-store.[/quote]
I saw a Buy 2 Get 50% off sign at BB in Union City, CA. Didn't think much of it though. No luck with the 40% off at that BB or at the one in Emeryville, CA. They did have a strangely large amount of Advance Wars 2 though, for $19.99 of course.

Yeah, BB really made me angry with Advance Wars 2. It was reported here as being $4.99...I went that day, and they had the placard on the shelf for the $4.99 price, but none in stock. A store employee looked for me, and couldn't find one. Then, the very next time I go in which was the next day, the card had changed to $19.99 and they had 3 or 4 copies in stock. Gah.

I just came back from Best Buy, and I didn't see any 40% OFF sale. However, I did get (PS2)Onimusha 3 and (GC)Metal Arms: GITS for $16.14 after tax :).

Onimusha 3 was priced at $14.99 and Metal Arms: GITS was $9.99. I used a gamer's gift card and the total should've been $19.98 + tax, but I checked over the receipt and the cashier mistakenly took $5 OFF each game. Hehe, I got lucky and it feels good :).

[quote name='RedvsBlue'][quote name='screwkick']I hate Best Buy.[/quote]

Thank you for that exciting, insightful information.[/quote]

haha. Sorry, couldn't help myself. :D

[quote name='darkwingduck13']Yeah, BB really made me angry with Advance Wars 2. It was reported here as being $4.99...I went that day, and they had the placard on the shelf for the $4.99 price, but none in stock. A store employee looked for me, and couldn't find one. Then, the very next time I go in which was the next day, the card had changed to $19.99 and they had 3 or 4 copies in stock. Gah.[/quote]

Why didn't you just get a rain check?

I remember when I went to like a million Fry's to get Burnout 3 when it was like 30 bucks on its first week out. Of course they were OOS everywhere and only had 2 or 3 to begin with in the morning. After I got home angry and frustrated, I realized I could have gotten a rain check, but of course all the employees seeing how much I wanted the game, never bothered to mention or suggest it to me. So sometimes I forget getting rain checks too.

For people who wanna know the name of the form is a cto and all u do is write the name of the games down and get a managers signature

this is sweet...im in des moines and will be hitting up that jordan creek best buy as soon as i finish my test tomorrow...

I go to Drake U...thanks for the heads up OP....you rock!

[quote name='Si1veR']Onimusha 3 was priced at $14.99 and Metal Arms: GITS was $9.99. I used a gamer's gift card and the total should've been $19.98 + tax, but I checked over the receipt and the cashier mistakenly took $5 OFF each game. Hehe, I got lucky and it feels good :).[/quote]

lol the cashier shouldnt have let you use the card to begin with.. unless they changed it the coupon is for $5 off one game $19.99 and up lol

[quote name='KrayzieKMF'][quote name='Si1veR']Onimusha 3 was priced at $14.99 and Metal Arms: GITS was $9.99. I used a gamer's gift card and the total should've been $19.98 + tax, but I checked over the receipt and the cashier mistakenly took $5 OFF each game. Hehe, I got lucky and it feels good :).[/quote]

lol the cashier shouldnt have let you use the card to begin with.. unless they changed it the coupon is for $5 off one game $19.99 and up lol[/quote]
Hahaha, yea. The cashier was suprised that it went through.

Nice haul, Si1ver. Two very good games for $16. I'm jealous because they're both games that I want, but I promised my wife I wouldn't buy any games for myself until after Christmas. Just as well, probably. I think I may have mentioned Onimusha 3 to my brother as an idea for something to get me for Christmas, but I can't remember for sure. I haven't been to the stores in a while- I didn't even know it was selling for $14.99.

[quote name='Milkyman']The filling out the form thing may be a tactic to prevent one dude from buying all the good games at once. The Circuit City in union square does something similar, the popular games are hidden on the wall behind customer service and you gotta go ask for them. They made me wait in line for 15 minutes for Final Fantasy Dawn of Souls ($25) only to tell me its out of stock. :evil:[/quote]

Same thing happened to me for HAlo 2...sorta

I waited on line at customer service, 15 minuets wasted, I saw they had 3 halo 2s figured cool I can get one. I get tot he counter the lady tells me I have to wait on the other line to buy the game then come back on this like to get it.

Looked at the other line which was twice as long as the one I was just on, said fuck it went to TRU and just walked up tot he counter and got it.

CC union Square = Most unorganized CC I've been to.

MY LORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry,......... I didn't read anything after MilkyMan's post.

Are those 3 girls triplets,... or is that just 3 different shots of the same GORGEOUS girl??

She is FAQing HOT!!!!

OH MY GOD,... I want to lay her down by the fire!!!
Milky,.... who is that???

You must tell me!!!

:)

[quote name='drone8888']MY LORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry,......... I didn't read anything after MilkyMan's post.

Are those 3 girls triplets,... or is that just 3 different shots of the same GORGEOUS girl??

She is FAQing HOT!!!!

OH MY GOD,... I want to lay her down by the fire!!!
Milky,.... who is that???

You must tell me!!!

:)[/quote]

:rofl:

bread's done
Back