Washington Post flames Gamecube

This year, things are different. One console, the Nintendo GameCube, is clearly obsolete, with a diminishing supply of new titles.

Clearly. :roll: I mean shouldn't you at least have to have somewhat of a clue before the Washington Post lets you write an article? Jesus, sign me up for that job and I'll write a bunch of crap about the war in Iraq and politics - stuff I'm not the least bit qualified to do...

[quote name='screwkick']Tell me something I don't know.

My wife bought me a Gamecube last Christmas, and I rarely play the thing. :([/quote]

*holds out hands*

[quote name='Scorch']Someone from DarkStalkers.

The guy's right, and that's not really a flame.[/quote]

considering

RE4, Star Fox, Advance Wars, Fire Emblem, Zelda, Killer 7, and Geist are coming out next year, I think it is a little pre-mature to say the GCN is obsolete.

[quote name='screwkick']Tell me something I don't know.

My wife bought me a Gamecube last Christmas, and I rarely play the thing. :([/quote]

Byt that definition the Dreamcast is obsolete too and judging by your avatar you probably don't think so...

[quote name='Hereticked']
Sometimes, it's hard to believe the console market stays competitive with the computer-based game market at all.

the Xbox is now the PS2's equal.

I stopped reading at that point due to uncontrollable laughter and the tears obscuring my vision.[/quote]

Yeah that's pretty bad ... the xbox has come on strong, but the PS2 still the system of choice among the average customer.

I still prefer to think of the gamecube like an independant film studio, putting out a few good games a year.
I really dont think its a matter of competition at this point, as much gamers need to be more educated in knowing what system is best for them

Regardless of whether or not you like the Gamecube, I think saying that the Gamecube is 'clearly obsolete' is a bit harsh and inaccurate.

(I love Morrigan too)

"who is morrgian?"

people really need to check out older games...

I had someone compare Mike Tyson's Punch Out to a Pokemon game. I was ready to smack him!

[quote name='Snake2715']I am going to leave this alone...

Quality NOT Quantity...[/quote]

I totally agree. The gamecube has great exclusive titles available nowhere else. I personally think the little cube is a great system and I enjoy playing as much as Xbox or PS2. The only real problem I think the gamecube has is some bad ports of some multiplatform titles.

Just to name a few great gamecube games:

Rouge Squadron Series (why I bought a cube)
Eternal Drakness
Resident Evil Zero and Remake
Viewtiful Joe 1 and 2 (Should have remained exclusive)
Tales of Symphnia
Metriod Prime 1 and 2
Legend of Zelda WW
Mario Kart
Mario Tennis
Mario Golf
Mario Sunshine

Just this small list of titles is worth it for me to own a cube.

Plus coming soon . . .
Resident Evil 4
Fire emblem
New Zelda
Advance Wars
Killer 7
New Star Fox
Geist

You can voice any opinion you want but I have been a fan of gaming for many a year and I think you can not have video games without nintendo.

The Cube is not obsolete!

Well I disagree that the cube is obsolete, and to say it has had nothing recent come out is just wrong. Metroid Prime 2 and Paper Mario 2 are great games. The cube does have considerably less games, but it isn't obsolete.

[quote name='flybrione'][quote name='Snake2715']I am going to leave this alone...

Quality NOT Quantity...[/quote]

I totally agree. The gamecube has great exclusive titles available nowhere else. I personally think the little cube is a great system and I enjoy playing as much as Xbox or PS2. The only real problem I think the gamecube has is some bad ports of some multiplatform titles.

Just to name a few great gamecube games:

Rouge Squadron Series (why I bought a cube)
Eternal Drakness
Resident Evil Zero and Remake
Viewtiful Joe 1 and 2 (Should have remained exclusive)
Tales of Symphnia
Metriod Prime 1 and 2
Legend of Zelda WW
Mario Kart
Mario Tennis
Mario Golf
Mario Sunshine

Just this small list of titles is worth it for me to own a cube.

Plus coming soon . . .
Resident Evil 4
Fire emblem
New Zelda
Advance Wars
Killer 7
New Star Fox
Geist

You can voice any opinion you want but I have been a fan of gaming for many a year and I think you can not have video games without nintendo.

The Cube is not obsolete![/quote]

I think the cube has great graphics, but it doesn't have much 3rd party support. Also, too many mario games IMO.

quote: However, you won't see better graphics or hear better sound than on a desktop Windows machine. (There are a few gaming-use laptops, but they tend to be even more expensive than the game-oriented desktops.)

Can this be anymore true?

The regular media are all morons about Games, why haven't we all realized this. The regular media knows nothing about us gamers. Remember these are the same people that think that playing GTA will cause us to go out and gundown eachother and beat down prostitutes.

cult_ep2.jpg

GAMECUBE!!! YOU ARE OBSOLETE!!!!

Lets remember another console everyone said wasn't obsolete and had great games, and games that were supposed to come out and never did........... can you say Dreamcast (Shenmue 2, Ikaruga, Resident Evil: "unamed") .
Granted there is a big difference between Sega and the big N, but when you factor in the fact that all thier "good games" are coming out after the christmas season, it doesn't look that great. Granted some of these games look great, but others are just the failsafes they had since the console was first created ::Cough "ZELDA":::cough "Starfox":: . Mind you I am not "N" bashing. Just noticing the signs. Hell it might just be that they have been more focused on the relase of the DS, and one market that they currently dominate.....Handhelds.

[quote name='lurknomore']The regular media are all morons about Games, why haven't we all realized this. The regular media knows nothing about us gamers. Remember these are the same people that think that playing GTA will cause us to go out and gundown eachother and beat down prostitutes.[/quote]

This is true. By the way i just played Katamary Damcey, and I'm gonna go roll up a couple of cars wanna come?

[quote name='studio (Wombat5277)']I still prefer to think of the gamecube like an independant film studio, putting out a few good games a year.
I really dont think its a matter of competition at this point, as much gamers need to be more educated in knowing what system is best for them[/quote]

just noticed your avatar....

ZOOM! has gotten more laughs amoung my friend then i thought anyone else could ever get....

clearly.... i'm not the only one putting this game at the end of many a joke...

[quote name='joystickz'][quote name='studio (Wombat5277)']I still prefer to think of the gamecube like an independant film studio, putting out a few good games a year.
I really dont think its a matter of competition at this point, as much gamers need to be more educated in knowing what system is best for them[/quote]

just noticed your avatar....

ZOOM! has gotten more laughs amoung my friend then i thought anyone else could ever get....

clearly.... i'm not the only one putting this game at the end of many a joke...[/quote]

Yeah Istill think its one of the better pac man rip off games ever made, if there could such a thing. Its clearly the best grid based puzzle game featuring cat heads that shoot poop out of their tails

The Gamecube is the only console to consider for gamers under 10. Very few of the youngest gamers are going to be able to add to this thread, and I'll wager there weren't too many interviewed for the Post article either.

[quote name='big_squirtle']Lets remember another console everyone said wasn't obsolete and had great games, and games that were supposed to come out and never did........... can you say Dreamcast (Shenmue 2, Ikaruga, Resident Evil: "unamed") .
Granted there is a big difference between Sega and the big N, but when you factor in the fact that all thier "good games" are coming out after the christmas season, it doesn't look that great. Granted some of these games look great, but others are just the failsafes they had since the console was first created ::Cough "ZELDA":::cough "Starfox":: . Mind you I am not "N" bashing. Just noticing the signs. Hell it might just be that they have been more focused on the relase of the DS, and one market that they currently dominate.....Handhelds.[/quote]

But Shenmue 2 and Ikaruga were both released. Also, people are mentioning next years games, but Gamecube just had a couple of heavy hitters released (Paper Mario 2, Metroid Prime 2, Donkey Konga, Pikmin 2).

All I have to say is that there are more new A+ titles out for the GC this fall than what I can afford.

I will breifly touch on this subject but I think its important.

I have been playing games for 22+ years. Since I was 4 or even 3 (atari etc)

The reason I really enjoy Nintendo is due it bringing me back to when I had no worries excpet what to do next to have fun. They allow me to have fun still to this day.

Something Sony hasnt grasped although I think Microsoft knows (with releases of grabbed by the ghoulies etc, and their declaration to enter the younger demographic of players) is that all these "Un Mature" gamers that Nintendo has pursueded to buy Nintendo brand products WILL eventually come back to Nintendo in the future if they ever leave.

If Nintendo so to say "grows up" with these young players they (Nintendo) will eventually dominate the market again. Nintendo is on the right track to start offering alternate forms of "mature (stupidest title in the game biz) titles".

Therefore they have a good chance to keep recapturing their current audience as well as add to that with other mass market games.

The older gamers are just getting older and will eventually die or stop playing, find other interests. Long term planning would show that if you can build product loyalty at a younger age then you are set for a strong future.

[quote name='chunk'][quote name='big_squirtle']Lets remember another console everyone said wasn't obsolete and had great games, and games that were supposed to come out and never did........... can you say Dreamcast (Shenmue 2, Ikaruga, Resident Evil: "unamed") .
Granted there is a big difference between Sega and the big N, but when you factor in the fact that all thier "good games" are coming out after the christmas season, it doesn't look that great. Granted some of these games look great, but others are just the failsafes they had since the console was first created ::Cough "ZELDA":::cough "Starfox":: . Mind you I am not "N" bashing. Just noticing the signs. Hell it might just be that they have been more focused on the relase of the DS, and one market that they currently dominate.....Handhelds.[/quote]

But Shenmue 2 and Ikaruga were both released. Also, people are mentioning next years games, but Gamecube just had a couple of heavy hitters released (Paper Mario 2, Metroid Prime 2, Donkey Konga, Pikmin 2).

All I have to say is that there are more new A+ titles out for the GC this fall than what I can afford.[/quote]

No they werent, Shenmue came out only in Europe and Japan. Never made it to America, thats why the Xbox version came out. Also, Ikaruga never made it to US shores either, and it was the second to last game to come out for dreamcast. On top of the fact that it got such good reviews.
Nintendo, has had one major flaw in its marketing for the past couple of years........it caters to too young an audience. The only attempts they have had to bring in more mature audiences has either been to late or pathetic (mind you, they have also been the ones responsible for alot of revolutionary games like Goldeneye and Zelda OoT among a hand few others). Lets put it this way, when a good Zelda game comes out for a nintendo system, its because they arent selling. Here's a good example, the N64 had a Zelda game and engine ready 2 full years before OoT came out. Then they put out OoT and a couple of months later release another Zelda, to try and bring up sales again. Now we already had one Zelda game promised fro the Launch of the GC. It was supposedly scrapped in favor of going to cell shading and changing the engine. Now that "N" has no real heavy hitters coming and their GC sales are drying up, wha....what is this I see.....oh a NEW Zelda Game......with the same look as the Zelda game originally promised at Launch....and not the kiddie cell shade crap. I think I figured out nintendo's new strategy

Zelda = Life Preserver
Sorry If I seem a bit harsh, just what I see.
By the way I own a GC and love mario kart and RE

[quote name='big_squirtle'][quote name='chunk'][quote name='big_squirtle']Lets remember another console everyone said wasn't obsolete and had great games, and games that were supposed to come out and never did........... can you say Dreamcast (Shenmue 2, Ikaruga, Resident Evil: "unamed") .

All I have to say is that there are more new A+ titles out for the GC this fall than what I can afford.[/quote]

No they werent, Shenmue came out only in Europe and Japan. Never made it to America, thats why the Xbox version came out. Also, Ikaruga never made it to US shores either, and it was the second to last game to come out for dreamcast. On top of the fact that it got such good reviews.
Nintendo, has had one major flaw in its marketing for the past couple of years........it caters to too young an audience. The only attempts they have had to bring in more mature audiences has either been to late or pathetic (mind you, they have also been the ones responsible for alot of revolutionary games like Goldeneye and Zelda OoT among a hand few others). Lets put it this way, when a good Zelda game comes out for a nintendo system, its because they arent selling. Here's a good example, the N64 had a Zelda game and engine ready 2 full years before OoT came out. Then they put out OoT and a couple of months later release another Zelda, to try and bring up sales again. Now we already had one Zelda game promised fro the Launch of the GC. It was supposedly scrapped in favor of going to cell shading and changing the engine. Now that "N" has no real heavy hitters coming and their GC sales are drying up, wha....what is this I see.....oh a NEW Zelda Game......with the same look as the Zelda game originally promised at Launch....and not the kiddie cell shade crap. I think I figured out nintendo's new strategy

Zelda = Life Preserver
Sorry If I seem a bit harsh, just what I see.
By the way I own a GC and love mario kart and RE[/quote]
there is so much wrong in this, i do not know where to start.

I'll start by saying this is dumb.

Everyone always forgets NPD does NOT include Walmart and the like.

Not only is Walmart the BIGGEST retailer in the world. They are a "family oriented store and generally sell only edited versions of music and so on.

My assumption would be that Walmart sells more Cubes than Xboxs due to the shoppers and what they have in mind.

[quote name='big_squirtle']Lets remember another console everyone said wasn't obsolete and had great games, and games that were supposed to come out and never did........... can you say Dreamcast (Shenmue 2, Ikaruga, Resident Evil: "unamed")[/quote]

Shenmue 2 and Ikaruga were released for the DC. Ikaruga in Japan and Shenmue 2 in Japan and Europe.

[quote name='big_squirtle']...when you factor in the fact that all thier "good games" are coming out after the christmas season, it doesn't look that great.[/quote]

I would hardly call it fact that all Nintendo's "good games" are coming out after Christmas. Three of Nintendo's exclusive holiday titles have been well received by critics: Echoes, Paper Mario, and Mario Power Tennis. Although not exclusive, I am equally looking forward to Prince of Persia: Warrior Within.

While everyone has their own preferences, only one Xbox game and one PS2 game make it onto my wishlist, Burnout 3 for Xbox (I already own Halo 2) and Katamari Damacy (GTA: SA while epic in scale appears to be poorly executed yet again, and will not make its way into my collection until it hits $19.99 or less.)

[quote name='big_squirtle']Hell it might just be that they have been more focused on the relase of the DS, and one market that they currently dominate.....Handhelds.[/quote]

You may be correct here. I am worried with the Cube, SP, DS, now a movie studio, and hopefully production ramping up for their next generation console, Nintendo is spreading itself pretty thin at the moment.

While I play all three consoles, I don't think it is any secret whose corner I am in. However, in regards to the Washington Post article it does disturb me that so much opinion has been placed into the article. Reporting on the game industry isn't excalty reporting on the State of the Union or the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, but if the article does not appear on the editorial page, then I believe the journalist has an obligation to remain objective. Statements such as the following are a matter of opinion:

[quote name='Washington Post']One console, the Nintendo GameCube, is clearly obsolete...[/quote]

[quote name='Washington Post']...the Xbox is now the PS2's equal...[/quote]

A strong argument could be made that the Xbox is superior to the PS2 and the PS2 is the most obsolete of the 3 consoles. The reporter seems to be mistaking popularity, or lack thereof, with what is obsolete. Admittedly there are some holes in Nintendo's library, but I believe/hope it is strong enough, as outlined in these posts, to maintain the GameCube as a viable platform until the next generation of consoles makes an appearance.

Snake2715 makes a good point on the marketing side. The brand loyalty Nintendo enjoys is immeasurable.

- - - - - - - - - -
*EDIT, I forgot to add MGS: Snake Eater to my PS2 wishlist.

[quote name='Plumberboy'] The brand loyalty Nintendo enjoys is immeasurable.[/quote]

I wouldn't say its immeasurable, but it is pretty darn big since it probably accounts for most of nintendo's gamecube sales.

[quote name='Snake2715']Therefore they have a good chance to keep recapturing their current audience as well as add to that with other mass market games.

The older gamers are just getting older and will eventually die or stop playing, find other interests. Long term planning would show that if you can build product loyalty at a younger age then you are set for a strong future.[/quote]

I agree and I too have always loved games for about 25 years. To me their has yet to be a system as great as the Nintendo NES. However, I was once part of their core audience. Hell I even saw the wizard with fred savage just to see the games. But the big "N" has screwed its customers so many times, both in lack of titles and in false promises. Let me give you an example. There was a Metroid game that was set to come out for N64, as well as a Samurai Warriors, and a Robotech game. These games never came out, even though they were promised. I understand not releasing the DD64 because it didn't really make any money in Japan, so why lose more money over here. However, they have lost the loyalty of alot of their fans (like me), that expect a higher standard from a company that insisited on having final approval of all games that are played on its systems (remember the oddly shaped / colored unlicensed NES cartridges, and the lawsuit that followed). You expect a company that always held such high standards to just get better and continue to be loyal to you just as you are loyal to it. So as far as nintendo finding an audience and recapturing another, I dont think it will happen in this consoles lifetime. Unfortunately, the GC has come to be known as Kindergarten. Yeah its fun, and you get to see pretty colors....but eventually it gets boring, and you either take a nap......or graduate to a more mature console.
A great console is always great, shit I still play my NES weekly.
If they dont get bought by MS, they just might stay in the Handheld market they master.

[quote name='Plumberboy']
A strong argument could be made that the Xbox is superior to the PS2 and the PS2 is the most obsolete of the 3 consoles. The reporter seems to be mistaking popularity, or lack thereof, with what is obsolete. Admittedly there are some holes in Nintendo's library, but I believe/hope it is strong enough, as outlined in these posts, to maintain the GameCube as a viable platform until the next generation of consoles makes an appearance.
[/quote]

While the argument can be made that the PS2 is the most obselete system, I don't think it's a very strong one. PS2 may be the least powerful system, but I don't see how you can argue that it is the most obselete when it still gets the most exclusives and when 2 of 3 consoles gets a game, PS2 is always one of them. How can a system be considered obselete when developers are still making a ton of games for it. IMHO none of the current consoles are obselete. The Gamecube is clearly lacking a big time game for the holiday season. I think that is all the article is suggesting. Echoes is the closest thing to a big name holiday game and that hasn't received a lot of hype like GTA and Halo 2. Unfortunate, but true. If a new Zelda was out for the holidays, this wouldn't be the case.

Fact: 98% of Nintendo's best games come from Nintendo, not 3rd parties which shows a lack of faith by developers.

Fact: While the PS2 is behind the curve in terms of technology it is the higher selling system and the best supported.

Fact: The non-videogame Medium is historically well known for being total dumb asses when it comes to videogames because they take now time to fully research prefering to focus on the worst possible face of the industry, and industry which focuses on fun, because otherwise it's boring and gets them no readership/viewership.

I enjoy each of the systems for their strengths. Nintendo no doubt has killer first party games. I do not think it's obsolete yet.

It's good to have so many choices when it comes to gaming. Gives the consumer some options. Gives us (CAGS) that zombie look at work from staying up all night playing. Not to mention empty pockets. :)

Another point regarding Snake2215's post and consumers coming back around to Nintendo. Disney Theme Parks also notice a drop-off in the teen / young adult (early 20's) demographic. While Disney made attempts to attract this audience, hence the creation of Pleasure Island and the introduction of "thrill rides" such as the Hollywood Tower of Terror, this audience doesn't truly return until they start families of their own.

Remember, the average game player is only 29 years old, about the same age as the industry. Many early gamers are beginning to have families of their own. Like Disney, Nintendo may very well see the return of these gamers to their "family friendly" console.

What's funny is they say the Gamecube is obsolete because of lack of titles and then all they mention for Xbox (which they say is PS2's equal) is Halo 2.

[quote name='CaseyRyback'][quote name='Scorch']Someone from DarkStalkers.

The guy's right, and that's not really a flame.[/quote]

considering

RE4, Star Fox, Advance Wars, Fire Emblem, Zelda, Killer 7, and Geist are coming out next year, I think it is a little pre-mature to say the GCN is obsolete.[/quote]

Agree. Too bad some parents will read that BS and be inclined to pass on GameCube because of it.

bread's done
Back