Photo
- - - - -

CAG Foreplay #38: Shipocritical (3/25/08)

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#31 Nephlabobo

Nephlabobo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2008 - 04:40 PM

Mrs. Shipwreck - the Final Fantasies I think *you* would like the most (in terms of story and gameplay) would be either FF 9 or FF 10.

I think you'd find FF 12 too repetitive.

Shipwreck - how is Tsugunai Atonement going?

#32 catapult37

catapult37

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2008 - 05:08 PM

I'd recommend FFX (10) as well. It's got great characters (yes, even Tidus), and I loved the story. The battle system is also great in that (unlike a lot of recent FFs), there are certain things that make the characters distinct -- in this case special commands related to their (story-determined) class. And the soundtrack is great as well.

I've played every FF and I'm a huge fan, but I have to warn you away from FFXII, at least as a starting point. I spent 80 hours in that game, but I just never got all that invested in the characters. Strangely, I enjoyed FFTactics' story, which was a similar politics-heavy tales in the same setting. BTW, FFXII is one of the worst in terms of the battle system making everyone the same. By the end of the game, there was nothing at all distinguishing my characters from one another.

Edit: yes I can see my avatar sitting right there. i still think it's one of the coolest FF logos, and I can't change it now!
Posted Image

Xbox Live: catapult27
Now playing: Batman AA, The Witcher
Need to Finish: Far Cry 2
Up Next: InFamous 2 (hype!!)

#33 LiK

LiK

Internet Superstar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2008 - 08:07 PM

Shippy, very true, always have a female like mrs. shipwreck ask for you when she's available cuz those horndogs at those video game stores will try to impress her with their 1337 knowledge and service. ^.^

btw Ships, did you play Apollo Justice yet???? so good...

oh, one more thing mrs. shipwreck, since you asked: you MUST play FFVI! It's my fave FF game of all time. That's my suggestion. :D

and last but not least, Dreamfall was an okay adventure game. it's not as good as the first game, The Longest Journey but it's worth playing through. the game is NOT that long. i beat it in one evening. you guys must be terrible...j/k ;D
63362.png
Blog | Twitter
"You lazy f*ck!" - Artie Lange to CheapyD on 8/31/09

#34 terpkristin

terpkristin

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 March 2008 - 11:24 PM

I've played every FF and I'm a huge fan, but I have to warn you away from FFXII, at least as a starting point. I spent 80 hours in that game, but I just never got all that invested in the characters. Strangely, I enjoyed FFTactics' story, which was a similar politics-heavy tales in the same setting. BTW, FFXII is one of the worst in terms of the battle system making everyone the same. By the end of the game, there was nothing at all distinguishing my characters from one another.

These are almost exactly my feelings about FFXII, funny to see someone else have them.

And I too enjoyed the storyline in Tactics.

And as much as I thought the battle system in FFXII was wonky, the FFVII:CC battle system is...similar at times, and I don't find it nearly as jarring...

/tk
terpkristin
Find me on XBLA and PSN as terpkristin
Wii: 4059 1919 9282 7625
Now Playing: trying to go through the stack of games...
Trying to update the blog regularly.. http://gimpygal.blogspot.com
http://kristin.seidelmann-owners.com/

#35 Nephlabobo

Nephlabobo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2008 - 05:41 AM

Pretty much my thoughts. I think Mrs. Ship would get bored with FF12 pretty quickly. I think she'd enjoy FF 9 (because of the story and characters) and FF 10 (because of the battle system and story).

#36 mrs. shipwreck

mrs. shipwreck

CAG Foreplayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2008 - 11:52 AM

This week there are a big four games coming out. Hopefully there will be more Depth Charges than usual, otherwise the show will be super short.

I sent Ship into the depths of the basement to find the FF games. Okay, here's what we have to choose from:

Bobomallone suggested Rhapsody for the PS1, and that looks like fun so it's been added to my docket of games for this weekend. Plus, it's an Atlus title so I'm not sure why I haven't played it already.

Final Fantasy I & II Dawn of Souls (GBA)
Final Fantasy Origins (I & II) PS1
Final Fantasy (NES)
Final Fantasy II (SNES)

Final Fantasy III (SNES) *This is the one that everyone said was good. I'd rather play it on the GBA as FF VI but we don't have that version. Is there a reason NOT to play the SNES version?

Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest (SNES)
Final Fantasy IV (GBA)
Final Fantasy Anthology (V & VI) (PS1)
Final Fantasy Chronicles (FF IV and Chrono Trigger) PS1
Final Fantasy VII (PS1)
Final Fantasy VIII (PS1)
Final Fantasy IX (PS1)
Final Fantasy X (PS2)
Final Fantasy X-2 (PS2)
Final Fantasy XII (PS2)
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles (GC)
Final Fantasy Tactics (PS1)

I'm leaning toward Final Fantasy IX (PS1) because that's the animation style that I like the most. I'm also going to try FF III on the SNES unless there's a reason not to. That should keep me busy this weekend. Any thoughts?
Posted Image

#37 DJSteel

DJSteel

Posted 28 March 2008 - 12:14 PM

Final Fantasy II (SNES) was the game that got me hooked to the FF series and III (SNES) really drove that home...
Posted ImagePosted Image
Mario kart Wii Code - 4597-0827-2394

#38 DJSteel

DJSteel

Posted 28 March 2008 - 12:55 PM

btw.. I'm impatiently waiting for Mrs. Shipwrecks preview for

http://www.ebgames.c...oduct_id=180511
Posted ImagePosted Image
Mario kart Wii Code - 4597-0827-2394

#39 LiK

LiK

Internet Superstar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2008 - 03:05 PM

Final Fantasy III (SNES) *This is the one that everyone said was good. I'd rather play it on the GBA as FF VI but we don't have that version. Is there a reason NOT to play the SNES version?

the SNES version of FFVI aka FFIII is excellent and is the version that made me fall in love with the franchise. you should also play FFIV aka FFII for the SNES as well. glad to hear you'll be entering the FF realm. you'll love it and you'll see why the PSOnes just don't impress me as much as the SNES ones.

btw, i'm at work and there's a guy with the last name "Petz". he must be glad his last name is associated with a terrible game franchise. :D
63362.png
Blog | Twitter

#40 Tybee

Tybee

Rowsdower!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2008 - 06:15 PM

Another great show, Ships. Mrs. Tybee and I have gotten in the habit of listening to Foreplay while we're actually playing on the 360 (mostly Viva Pinata, lately). She likes that you guys have a lot of the same debates we do.

Ship: On the CAGcast, Cheapy and Wombat were discussing what you do for a living. Something about editing technical manuals for aircraft? What exactly do you do? I'm actually an editor too, mostly with trade and engineering magazines, and my father, my uncle, and my grandfather were all airline captains. And Mrs. Tybee is an engineer. So maybe we could talk shop. ;)

Dreamfall does get better once it gets started, but most of the awards you might be thinking about went to the first game. Dreamfall is a sequel to the PC game titled "The Longest Journey". Unlike Dreamfall, TLJ is a straight adventure game with almost no timed action sequences/fighting, but I thought it had better writing and characters than Dreamfall. You can get The Longest Journey from Steam for $10.

I really enjoyed The Longest Journey. It's the only PC adventure game that really sucked me in since the golden era of LucasArts and Sierra. Can't speak for Dreamfall, as I haven't played it, but given how much I enjoyed TLJ, I may give it a shot.

The Wii is was modeled directly after the DS... so any game on the DS, can be automatically played on the Wii. Touchscreen motions can be easily duplicated into Wii stick motions. So.. with that.. what's the difference between the Wii and the DS Ship? Nintendo says not much..

Not exactly. All you have to do is compare Cooking Mama or Trauma Center on the DS to Cooking Mama or Trauma Center on the Wii to see that what works on one doesn't automatically translate to the other.

#41 terpkristin

terpkristin

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 March 2008 - 10:56 PM

I'm leaning toward Final Fantasy IX (PS1) because that's the animation style that I like the most. I'm also going to try FF III on the SNES unless there's a reason not to. That should keep me busy this weekend. Any thoughts?

I've played and finished every FF excepting FFXII and FFVII:CC (haven't bothered to finish 12 yet and CC just got and still working on, but not enough time).

The "only" reason I can think of to play FFVI on the GBA over the SNES FFIII is that you can play it in the same room while Ship is playing something on your big TV. If you wanted to give it a try (and could wait past the weekend), I will more than happily send you my copy on loan for as long as you want to play it. I'm in the middle of a replay through it, but I've got tons of other things to keep me occupied. Send me a PM or email me (I think you have it from before when I did the PW prize) if you're interested.

As for FFIX, it was a good game, but for some reason hasn't left as much of a mark on me as FFX did, for games of "that generation" (yes I realize FFIX was PS1 and FFX was PS2 but you know what I mean...). But if you like the animation, that's something to draw you in further, so it's worth a go. :)

/tk
terpkristin
Find me on XBLA and PSN as terpkristin
Wii: 4059 1919 9282 7625
Now Playing: trying to go through the stack of games...
Trying to update the blog regularly.. http://gimpygal.blogspot.com
http://kristin.seidelmann-owners.com/

#42 Eh? What?

Eh? What?

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 March 2008 - 10:36 PM

I can't tell exactly, but I think Heavenly Guardian for the PS2 was finally released sometime in the last week & a half. It was supposed to come out over a month ago, the week of the robot voices episode. A few online stores have stocked it, and Amazon has at last shipped my pre-order - they're out of stock now, however. It looks like it's getting pretty terrible distribution.

#43 Nephlabobo

Nephlabobo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 March 2008 - 06:30 AM

The GBA version has a better translation.

Go for FF 9 because I think it's one of the ones you'll like the most.

#44 DQT

DQT

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 March 2008 - 06:46 AM

Great show. Ms. Shipwreck proved her nerd credentials with her message board style incrimination of Shipwreck and the Spider-Man reference. Whoever suggested FFVI Advance and FFIX were pretty spot on. Even though I'm indifferent about them, they have really good translations and tell a story that actually tries to make sense.

My personal favorite, FFVII has aged pretty badly, I'm afraid.

#45 LiK

LiK

Internet Superstar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 April 2008 - 09:03 PM

My personal favorite, FFVII has aged pretty badly, I'm afraid.

totally agree. i guess that's why everyone is clamoring for a FFVII remake altho i doubt that'll happen anytime soon with the FFXIII empire that's coming soon.
63362.png
Blog | Twitter

#46 Trenchalicious

Trenchalicious

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 April 2008 - 03:54 AM

Can't wait for the next one to be up.
1 CENT AUCTION STARTS: XBOX 360 & DS Game @ My ebay auctions!

#47 shipwreck

shipwreck

CAG Reviews Editor

• Super Moderators

Posted 02 April 2008 - 04:28 AM

Can't wait for the next one to be up.

Should be up shortly. It's converting to MP3 format as I type this.
"Red-Headed Pain In The Ass" - Wombat
Posted Image