The 2008 MLB Season Thread (Update: Phillies Won)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got off work and watching the game right now (time-shifted via Tivo). Matsuzaka not looking good here in the first inning. Baseball at 3am pacific time is awesome! :)

Let's go Oakland!

Here we go Pirates.. break two records in one season... most games lost in a season and most consecutive losing seasons.. but hey, they draw on bobblehead night...

Regardless of who you're a fan of, that was a good game, and a great start to the season. Terrible base running there at the end. That's just poor baseball, really.

I got frequent updates of the game while I listened to sports talk radio this morning and it sounded like a good game after the first couple of innings. Too bad they held it out in Japan when few people in America could see it. It's just stupid to have the opening day game there considering the time difference.

Yeah I think opening the season in Japan sucks. Since I am on the East Coast the game airs at 6 AM, that's garbage. Can't wait for the Mets to open up.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Brandon Moss? Who?[/QUOTE]

He is a stud OF prospect of the redsox...the reason we let murphy go to the rangers in the gagne trade...Thats why it made no sense for the sox to sign jd drew to a 5 year deal when they did. They had cocco and manny already locked up for a couple of years...and the prospects of moss, ellsbury and murphy fighting for that one spot was taken away when they got drew. Moss has done very well in the minors..he is a similiar hitter to drew, wiith more power. He has a really sweet swing. He did struggle in his limited playing time last summer and fall for the sox.

my money is drew hits .280 - .295 this year, a decent amount of RBI's, 20 - 25 homers and a bunch of doubles...He will learn to use the wall to his advantage and by the end of the season will be the #5 guy that he was brought in here for. If you track his stats last year, he started off really hot, then was cold for months. The time he was cold was also during the time where his child had some serious medical issues. It improved greatly the end of august, and sept/oct jd resumed hitting the hell out of the ball. I think he is a great player, but the money he got paid is money for the team stud. He isn't and never has been a team stud along the lines of pappi, arod, pujols, howard etc...It was just a bad contract not a bad signing.

[quote name='ryanbph']my money is drew hits .280 - .295 this year, a decent amount of RBI's, 20 - 25 homers and a bunch of doubles...He will learn to use the wall to his advantage and by the end of the season will be the #5 guy that he was brought in here for. If you track his stats last year, he started off really hot, then was cold for months. The time he was cold was also during the time where his child had some serious medical issues. It improved greatly the end of august, and sept/oct jd resumed hitting the hell out of the ball. I think he is a great player, but the money he got paid is money for the team stud. He isn't and never has been a team stud along the lines of pappi, arod, pujols, howard etc...It was just a bad contract not a bad signing.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Drew is actually a very good player, despite an "off season" he still compiled an OBP of .370 and clearly found his stroke towards the end of the season. I think the mistake is relying on him to be an RBI guy which he doesn't have the power nor the make up for that. Stick him in the #2 slot and he'll score a 100 runs, no problem.

very good points...but with ellsbury as a leadoff, and pedroia or youkillis your prototypical #2 guy it won't happen in boston. He doesn't need to hit for power....he just has to poke his bat out and drop it off the monster. Mike lowells and bill mueller careers got a big kick in the nuts coming to boston. Wade boggs made a career out of hitting doubles off the monster...With the first 4 hitters in the lineup on boston, the number 5 guy in the lineup will get a shitload of RBI"s. They just need to put the ball in play. They will come to the plate with someone on base, and most likely in scoring position.

[quote name='lordwow']Didn't see it posted yet, and the season just started this morning in Japan.

Anyone else watching?[/quote]

The words fucking bullshit still come to my mind.

fuck you Japan, let's play in AMERICA, and not at fucking 6am.

well it is to help promote mlb worldwide so that the owners can make a shitload more money thru tv revenue and to open the doorway for more japanese players to come stateside.

[quote name='ryanbph']well it is to help promote mlb worldwide so that the owners can make a shitload more money thru tv revenue and to open the doorway for more japanese players to come stateside.[/QUOTE]

fuck em. Kick Scott Boras out, and they'll save some revenue.

Baseball is the one sport left where we're supposed to have this deep tradition. Opening day of America's sport should be played stateside.

I don't have a problem with it, other than the time difference.

MLB has nowhere left to expand in North America. Eventually, when supersonic travel becomes practical again, the Japanese leagues are going to fall under the umbrella of MLB as the AL and NL do. They're building their brand up in Japan now.

MLB is a business plain and simple. Not only that, it's now an international business with all the international scouting. I think it's great and would love it if the "World Series" one day actually really was a true World Series.

[quote name='dafoomie']I don't have a problem with it, other than the time difference.

MLB has nowhere left to expand in North America. Eventually, when supersonic travel becomes practical again, the Japanese leagues are going to fall under the umbrella of MLB as the AL and NL do. They're building their brand up in Japan now.[/quote]

Yes and Maybe we will play baseball on the moon.

But until that happens this is fucking bullshit. fuck the Japanese, they want to see real baseball they can get their fucking ass on a fucking plane and watch a fucking game.

It's like the NFL, someone said he would like to see a Super Bowl in England. Yeah, that's a good way to piss off the million of Americans to please the 50,000 fans that might show up. Plus what time would you have the game at? It's always been at 6:30pm eastern, so would they be playing at 11:30pm?

Plus fucking American sports in America, that fucking simple.

Whoever decided to have 2 series @ Wrigley in March and not play at Miller Park until the end of July needs to be smacked.

I passed up a chance to participate in the Reds' Opening Day parade which is going on right now.

Seeing as how it's rainy and 45, I'm not bent out of shape with that. I'm still mad that the fuckers kept Adam Dunn and traded Josh Hamilton (not to mention won't send Dunn down and keep Jay Bruce on the roster). The Reds have problems with their batting (produces too few runs on avg), their relief and closing pitchers (they give up so many runs that it makes the batting a problem, as overcoming the Reds is very easy if you're down by 2-3 runs with 3 innings to go).

...as I was typing this, strangely enough, I got to see the part of the parade I was going to be with. Only on camera briefly, but the commentators gave a good rundown and promotion. Cool.

I'm going to try and catch the first inning or two of the Yankee game in about 15 minutes assuming it isn't delayed by rain...

Giants on at 1 P.M. vs the Dodgers.

I can take the murder that will be watching the Giants offense, but just please beat the Dodgers.

FIRE SABEAN, HOW THE fuck DO YOU START THE SEASON WITH BARRY ZITO? PLAY TEH FRANCHISE OR CAIN

[quote name='ryanbph']doesn't the manager chose the starting pitcher? I don't think it has anything to do with the GM[/quote]

Yes, but managers tend to favor vets over youth. However when it's a vet like Zito vs 2 young studs like Cain or Lincecum I don't get it.

[quote name='DT778']Zito is getting the big bucks, you got to start him.[/QUOTE]

Juan Pierre is getting paid a good chunk of change too, and he's starting the season on the Dodger bench.

[quote name='Arikado']Juan Pierre is getting paid a good chunk of change too, and he's starting the season on the Dodger bench.[/quote]

I hate the Dodgers with a passion, but that's the right move, the one the fuckin' GIANTS SHOULD MAKE. I have nothing against Roberts/Aurilla/Durham by any means, great guys especially Aurilla who lives in the City and i've met a couple times. But, bench Roberts, play either Rajai Davis or Fred Lewis, then bench Aurilla and play Schierholtz at first since Ortmeier can't play 1st for shit. Durham can start but make him platoon with Bocock, i'd like to see Fransden but he's hurt.

I'm shocked Sabes hasn't called up the Mets and hasn't offered Roberts for cents on the dollar.

I hate Brian Sabean.

I've seen no predictions.

NL East: Atlanta
NL Central: Chicago
NL West: Los Angeles
WC: Phillies

AL East: Boston
AL Central: Detroit
AL West: Los Angeles Orange County near Disneyland
WC: Cleveland

[quote name='CocheseUGA']I've seen no predictions.

NL East: Atlanta
NL Central: Chicago
NL West: Los Angeles
WC: Phillies

AL East: Boston
AL Central: Detroit
AL West: Los Angeles Orange County near Disneyland
WC: Cleveland[/quote]

I can dig most of those predictions, but I would say Phillies win the East and D Backs Wild Card.

And this year, it's the Dodgers year. Go Big Blue.

AL East: Boston Red Sox
AL Central: Detroit Tigers
AL West: Seattle Mariners
AL Wild Card: Cleveland Indians

NL East: Philadelphia Phillies
NL Central: Chicago Cubs
NL West: Arizona Diamondbacks
NL Wild Card: Atlanta Braves

ALDS: Red Sox over Indians, Tigers over Mariners
NLDS: Diamondbacks over Braves, Phillies over Cubs

ALCS: Tigers over Red Sox
NLCS: Diamondbacks over Phillies