Photo
- - - - -

The 2008 MLB Season Thread (Update: Phillies Won)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2092 replies to this topic

#2071 dafoomie

dafoomie

Posted 29 January 2009 - 02:12 AM

1 year deal, you can't go wrong.

#2072 integralsmatic

integralsmatic

Everyday should be Harvey Day

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2009 - 04:01 AM

1 year deal, you can't go wrong.

seriously. I would take garland for a one year deal. a innings eater who can keep you in the game and is a great back end guy. He was on my wish list for whom the mets to get.
Posted Image
Signature by Banshee350
Avatar(or Bust shot) done by Jeffery "CHAMBA" Cruz
R.I.P Nujabes aka Jun Seba (1974-2010) Another great musical mind ripped from our hands.
R.I.P Pat Carlucci- Rest easy my friend. You're with all of us in our hearts.

#2073 dafoomie

dafoomie

Posted 30 January 2009 - 04:12 AM

And theres a team option for a 2nd year, very favorable deal for Arizona. Garland is better than Johnson anyway.

#2074 ratzombie

ratzombie

aka yunkie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2009 - 05:04 AM

Better in terms of being more reliable, yes. I just think the Diamondbacks overpaid for him. Especially when they need to be investing some money into the bullpen as well... although him being an inning eater certainly helps.

#2075 dafoomie

dafoomie

Posted 30 January 2009 - 05:41 AM

I wouldn't bat an eye at that price for a 5th starter, and he's better than that. His ERA will be under 4 in the NL.

#2076 integralsmatic

integralsmatic

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2009 - 04:25 AM

yeah that kind of money for a fifth starter is way too big...but for garland who can be a 4th guy since i think Davis will have the 3rd spot right? He will save that pen alot of innings. I hope he does well.
Posted Image
Signature by Banshee350
R.I.P Nujabes aka Jun Seba (1974-2010) Another great musical mind ripped from our hands.

#2077 ryanbph

ryanbph

Posted 31 January 2009 - 04:45 AM

I think it is a great deal for the d backs. I bet his era is high 3's or really low 4 next year.

Posted Image

#2078 integralsmatic

integralsmatic

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2009 - 08:12 AM

Better in terms of being more reliable, yes. I just think the Diamondbacks overpaid for him. Especially when they need to be investing some money into the bullpen as well... although him being an inning eater certainly helps.

D backs are helping their pen too. Looks like Tom Gordon will be a lock in their pen.

i agree Garland, high 3s mid 4s at the most.
Posted Image
Signature by Banshee350

#2079 ratzombie

ratzombie

aka yunkie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2009 - 08:43 AM

Good point I'm pretty sure the rotation is going to be Webb, Haren, Davis, Garland, Scherzer.

#2080 paddlefoot

paddlefoot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 January 2009 - 06:26 PM

Hopefully the Braves can pick up Andruw for cheap. He's not worth any financial risk, but if they can get him cheap the should go for it. They need an outfielder and he's one of the best fielders in the history of the game. And maybe Pendleton can get his swing straightened out.

I expect it will happen, he said a while back the Braves were his top choice for a trade (he still lives in the Atlanta area)--but that wasn't happening with his salary. Now that the Dodger's have to eat that, they can sign him for a reasonable price.

dmaul, at this point you are probably a better fielder than Andruw Jones.

#2081 integralsmatic

integralsmatic

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2009 - 05:33 AM

Ollie agreed to terms pending a physical. Saweet! Now hopefully we can change those 17 no decisions he had last year to wins. He could have had atleast or at the most 15 if the bullpen didnt suck this past year. The Mets mighta overpaid him since i think thats number 2 money but shit...with the market so dim with pitching now...il take a guy who is used to pitching here and has been healthy unlike sheets. even though i would like sheets to get a shot.

edit:number is not arbitrary...just thought he could've done it.
Posted Image
Signature by Banshee350

#2082 vrs1650

vrs1650

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:41 PM

Man Ram, c'mon take the offer and get ready. No one is going to give you what you want, so take the best that's out there.
[IMG]http://card.mygamercard.net/%20http://live.xbox.com/member/vrs1650.jpg[/IMG]

Originally Posted by Nephlabobo [IMG]http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/disturbed/buttons/viewpost.gif[/IMG]
Yeah, but you're acting like I'm asking for unicorns and leprechauns to reenact "Two Girls One Cup".

#2083 ryanbph

ryanbph

Posted 03 February 2009 - 11:40 PM

manny is a fucking duche. IMO this is just a stalling tactic to avoid going to spring training on time

Posted Image

#2084 dopa345

dopa345

All around nice guy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 February 2009 - 11:51 PM

Manny is going to be a Yankee. I bet he has a 2-year deal for $23 million/year in his back pocket and is just trying to leverage a 3rd year from LA.

#2085 dafoomie

dafoomie

Posted 04 February 2009 - 01:50 AM

Sox signed Brad Wilkerson to a minor league deal, what happened to him? Juice guy?

#2086 integralsmatic

integralsmatic

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2009 - 08:35 AM

manny is a fucking duche. IMO this is just a stalling tactic to avoid going to spring training on time

hahaha that is a possible and definitley believable situation. when he wants to play is he good but man i dont want to see him when he doesnt want to play.

Manny is going to be a Yankee. I bet he has a 2-year deal for $23 million/year in his back pocket and is just trying to leverage a 3rd year from LA.

Im thinking the he will get whatever he wants from the yankees. all the yanks have to do is ship out Matsui and their gold hehe.
Posted Image
Signature by Banshee350

#2087 DomLando

DomLando

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:49 PM

Ollie agreed to terms pending a physical. Saweet! Now hopefully we can change those 17 no decisions he had last year to wins. He could have had atleast or at the most 15 if the bullpen didnt suck this past year. The Mets mighta overpaid him since i think thats number 2 money but shit...with the market so dim with pitching now...il take a guy who is used to pitching here and has been healthy unlike sheets. even though i would like sheets to get a shot.

edit:number is not arbitrary...just thought he could've done it.

I liked the Perez signing. I stated earlier I rather have him over Lowe because of age. We will see if Manuel can make him focus better and a more consistent pitcher. I am happy with the years and dollar amount as well, much better than what he was supposedly asking for in the beginning of free agency (5 year/60mill).

Omar said there will be no more big signings for the Mets and they will look for a few bench players and some minor league contracts. He is happy with what they have.

I have to disagree. Basically they are going in with the same team last year. Yes they have a better bullpen, but the starting rotation and lineup is virtually unchanged. We have to rely on Castillo at 2B, Delgado hitting like he did at the end of last year for a whole season, Church coming off injury, Schneider at catcher and a platoon of Murphy and Tatis. He said offense was not a problem last year but I can see it being a huge problem this year. The Wilpons do not want to have to pay a luxuary Tax so I doubt the Mets will sign or even try to sign Manny. They also want to trade Castro and dump is salary, to keep Cancel as the back up. This is going to be a looooong season.

#2088 integralsmatic

integralsmatic

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2009 - 05:23 PM

I liked the Perez signing. I stated earlier I rather have him over Lowe because of age. We will see if Manuel can make him focus better and a more consistent pitcher. I am happy with the years and dollar amount as well, much better than what he was supposedly asking for in the beginning of free agency (5 year/60mill).

Omar said there will be no more big signings for the Mets and they will look for a few bench players and some minor league contracts. He is happy with what they have.

I have to disagree. Basically they are going in with the same team last year. Yes they have a better bullpen, but the starting rotation and lineup is virtually unchanged. We have to rely on Castillo at 2B, Delgado hitting like he did at the end of last year for a whole season, Church coming off injury, Schneider at catcher and a platoon of Murphy and Tatis. He said offense was not a problem last year but I can see it being a huge problem this year. The Wilpons do not want to have to pay a luxuary Tax so I doubt the Mets will sign or even try to sign Manny. They also want to trade Castro and dump is salary, to keep Cancel as the back up. This is going to be a looooong season.

yeah ollie looked better with Warthen improving his delivery. I hope Warthen can now get rid of the jekyl/hyde complex with him.

i totally agree with that. How can he be happy with what he has? I guess he didnt see the games in september huh...i mean phillies game, bases loaded, no out, and i think we only knock 1 run, than we get bases loaded again..but this time no outs and thats with wright,beltran, and delgado up. Your right, it is going to be a long season. Now i dont even want to think about it.
Posted Image
Signature by Banshee350

#2089 jlarlee

jlarlee

Tigers love pepper.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2009 - 06:30 PM

Why can't Adam Dunn get a deal he is solid IMO. Also we need to either rename this thread or start a new one 2009 training camps are about to start
Posted Image

#2090 ratzombie

ratzombie

aka yunkie

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2009 - 06:43 PM

Last I checked he was asking for way too much for the market right now.

#2091 paddlefoot

paddlefoot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2009 - 06:49 PM

Sox signed Brad Wilkerson to a minor league deal, what happened to him? Juice guy?

Bad wing

#2092 integralsmatic

integralsmatic

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2009 - 09:12 PM

Why can't Adam Dunn get a deal he is solid IMO. Also we need to either rename this thread or start a new one 2009 training camps are about to start

yeah we need to.

Dunn hasnt signed a deal yet beause he is waiting on Manny. Dunn wants to be a dodger but if they get manny that will be out of the question. He could have signed already to the Nats or Orioles if he just wanted money...but i think he actually want to win or just likes the WC. I wouldnt see why not staying in Arizona would be a good shot. They have a great young rotation and their youngsters are coming in to their own..but i know he wants to get paid.
Posted Image
Signature by Banshee350

#2093 craven_fiend

craven_fiend

It Gives You Wings

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 February 2009 - 10:24 PM

Here we go http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=213451
Posted Image