CAGcast #114: Mega Muffins

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
CheapyD samples the latest nastiness from McDonalds Japan and Wombat is just plain nasty. We supplement a slow news week with an extra large CAGbag and other CAGGY treats.

Win Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword (DS), signed by Yosuke Hayashi

Win Destroy All Humans: Big Willy Unleashed (Wii)

[media]http://media.libsyn.com/media/cheapyd/cagcast114.mp3[/media] Download - 99 minutes, 45MB
[digg]http://digg.com/podcasts/CAGcast[/digg]
Past CAGcasts

Show Linkage/Notes (click the button below to expand):

Bonus Pictures & Video

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3CUwUjmF5k[/media]
By popular request, bjwoodruff's CAGs On News Theme Song

[media]http://www.cheapassgamer.com/podcast/cagsonews.mp3[/media]

Working late to prepare for my Senior Design showcase tomorrow (bleh). Definitely going to be listening to it tomorrow night.

~HotShotX

Thanks for this latest episode...

I still think you should offer that platinum membership, I would totally hit up my paypal account to get in on that action!

hooray for a new cagcast...though the next one we need wonbot to make an appearance..or cheapy to buy that robocop statue and make it a regular on the show.

[quote name='vanilla_shakin_it']A secret invasion nod and it's not even a minute in?! HALLELUJAH![/QUOTE]
Wombat must be "Wonbot the Skrull" in disguise.

[quote name='CouRageouS']Wombat must be "Wonbot the Skrull" in disguise.[/quote]

Let's just hope a seventies, funkified, version of wombat doesn't show up in a space ship.

Sweet jebus look at that thing. McDonalds makes me sick in the morning as it is. Fantastic show again this week. :)

I waited until 1:30 last friday and cheapy didn't post it until 2.. so I went to bed disappointed. This is how much Cagcast means to me :)

[quote name='vanilla_shakin_it']Let's just hope a seventies, funkified, version of wombat doesn't show up in a space ship.[/QUOTE]
I don't know what that means. I just knew what the secret invasion is :lol:

[quote name='CouRageouS']I don't know what that means. I just knew what the secret invasion is :lol:[/quote]

Jeez, make me show how geeky I am to someone who didn't even READ IT! Spoilers, basically all the heroes freak out because of the skrulls when all of a sudden a skrull ship crashes on earth and a bunch of duplicates of the heroes and how they looked in the 70's step out.

I think Wombat is right. Paying $19.99 for an XBLA game that is episodic is too much. I think it would of been smarter if they offered episode 1 for 400 points and the rest for 800 points. Getting gamers hooked would work better. I did buy Puzzle Quest for 1200 points but it's cheaper than any other version and takes a long time to finish. Penny Arcade's title better have some hot shit under it's tank.

BTW isn't GTA4 set in Liberty City, not New York? I know it's pretty much the same style but I doubt the city will be exactly the same.

no no no cheapy , i didnt mean a independent only palm springs resturaunt i ment the big corp ones that you have eaten in nyc , i know its a stupid question but still

thanks

[quote name='CouRageouS']Wombat must be "Wonbot the Skrull" in disguise.[/quote]

*Wonb't the Super Skrull

... ;)

10 cool points to Wombat for the Secret Invasion reference. This is my first time listening to CAGcast, and you just secured yourselves another listener. Another reason for me to listen? Updates on Cheapy's bowel movements. 8-[

And I'd totally buy CAG action figures. :shock:;

Hmm..I didn't notice any additional nastiness in this podcast. The idea of a $20 xbox live game is ridiculous and definitely sets a bad precedent. $15 should be the limit for all live games. If Microsoft can limit the games to a certain size then they can also set a maximum price limit for the games.

Cheapy I know you said that all stores will have GTA IV readily available at launch but do you think that it's worth waiting for a few weeks for huge sales like we saw with COD4.

I also highly recommend trying out Rosetta Stone. It's a great program. I came to the U.S. 4 years ago and I could barely read or speak any English at all. The program has helped me immensely and I believe if you try it should help you too.

Wait, I thought that the PSN store would still be up, just no new content, meaning you can still download stuff. And since usually the new content consists of a demo (maybe) and a few wallpapers/themes/videos, its not a huge loss for a "massive" two weeks. But at least Warhawk is still $30 which I just downloaded.

It's Guy-din, not Guy-den.

I agree that $20 is too much for a downloadable EPISODE (because that's what it is). It doesn't entice a new user into the franchise, and even though Penny Arcade may have an audience, I cannot see all of them buying this day, even a majority.

The no new content for 2 weeks thing for the Playstation Store is BS, and maybe, just maybe this non-web-based store will mean content daily instead of weekly when you get home and are butt tired after work.

As far as the 360 goes, its' hardware situation is a disaster. And I have a hard time believing that they can make a smaller one because of the hard drive. It's made in-house so to speak, and fits on the side. A smaller system would mean they'd have to make a new hard drive, and Microsoft is basically just trying to make a profit off the thing. So unless they plan on putting it on top in a redesign, making it look uglier than it already is, Microsoft is stuck with their current system situation.

I've been a long time CAGCast listener, and fan of Wombat and CheapyD. I've never really found anything Wombat said as particularly mean, but the Penny Arcady bashing I did find a little borderline.

I understand that Wombat wants a physical copy of his games, and spending 20 bucks on a download for the XBLA might be too much, but rather than express his opinion on the matter it felt like he was completely throwing the idea to the curb and condemning it and anyone that might be interested. Wombat really needs to understand that there are millions of people that are perfectly okay with the digital distribution model, as Steam and Gametap have demonstrated.

Plus he completely knocks the game as a "flash game" when really no one knows that much about it. It might very well be a deep RPG with a lengthy play-time, and the episodic approach is a way of simply advancing the story in bite-sized chunks. Of course, Wombat could be completely right. Who knows. It's also pretty important to not view this as the "Penny Arcade Guys' Game" and as the developer's, who undoubtedly had a big say in the distribution model. That's not to say they deserve no credit and are free from blame, but it's like blaming Will Wright because The Sims has turned into a doll-house instead of a complex strategy game (which I would argue it originally was).

Anyways, I just thought it was something that had to be said, and won't change how I feel about Wombat, Cheapy, or the show. Keep up the great work, and keep on reading the cagbag for more outrage and insults from us, your devoted fans ;)

Brendan duggan, you must go to In-'N-Out before you leave Palm Springs. It is our pride and joy. It's an awesome burger joint you can only find on the West Coast.

Dammit !! I'm at school and after that i have to work until like 21.15.

Seriously guys i'm having some major cag-withdrawal sympthoms..

good april fools joke. I was ready to enjoy my free membership which offered more than I use of CAG.com now. Btw, the dollar isn't done nosediving. the reason you are seeing all those new dollar coins is because the dollar is about the become the next quarter. So they can intro the Amero. check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3jdQxDC7pA

Suggestion:

What you guys need is a searchable database of what you think a CAG SHOULD pay for a game. It could be your official version of a review score. (None of that 8.3 vs. 8.7 B.S. other sites cling to.) Like this week, Wombat gave Dark Sector a $15. Both of you sounded like you'd give COD4 and Vegas 2 $60. Perhaps Wii Fit gets a $60 instead of a $90, etc.

With a system like that, when some retailer has a sale on Dark Sector for $30 in a few weeks, CAGs could look it up in your ratings list, and see that Wombat thought it was worth $15. With that, they'd know to hold out for a little longer and pass on the sale.

It's something you guys seem to mention when talking about games anyways, but making it more of a focus and having it be searchable would really help the cash conscious of us out there make better decisions.

Thanks, love the CAGcast,
m13b

ha thanks cheapy for answering my question, but i guess i should have worded it better. Meaning that after 20 or so years of nintendo games would that affect Nintendo or review scores...

"Wii Fit, is it." - Reggie

No, seriously. I can understand where those sales predictions are coming from. Wii Fit is being targeted at two groups - girlfriends\wives of gamers, and middle age soccer moms. Gamers already have the consoles, and the moms are the ones who wait in line outside Game Stops to get these things for their kids (trust me, it's all soccer moms buying them now. I work at a Game Stop)

Nintendo is hoping gamer's girls will appreciate the fact that there's something on the console that will appeal to them. Nintendo is hoping soccer moms will see Wii Fit and view it as something that made all that waiting around and panicked Game Stop rushes as worth it, when they can buy something for themselves. That's the target audience. Wii's are still coming to America, just not in the same per capita volume they are going to the EU.

Hey Cheapy how is it that a fellow CAG messaged you and claim to have a huge backlog of unread PMs? How did you happen to receive that particular message in such a timely fashion? BTW that breakfast sandwich looks like a heart attack waiting to happen.

Oh yeah. About taking a shit while your kid is sitting on your lap: that's just weird.

Cheapy, young Tai needs to get used to being on his own. Don't freak out if he starts crying the moment you lay him down. Give him a blanky, or some toys, and he'll figure it out.

Just some helpful advice from a new parent.

it's GUY-den, Wombat, lol. There should be some Japanese tourists at the Empire State building to confirm it. :D

as for the PA debate/argument: I found it amusing at the way Wombat and Cheapy had completely opposite opinions about the same game. Everything from the price to the speculation of the final version's length and look of the game. I hope you guys don't end up acting like Artie and Hi-Pitch Mike cuz it can get real fugly (some people will know what me talking about). ^^;;

CheapyD samples the latest nastiness from McDonalds Japan and Wombat is just plain nasty. We supplement a slow news week with an extra large CAGbag and other CAGGY treats.

Win Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword (DS), signed by Yosuke Hayashi

Win Destroy All Humans: Big Willy Unleashed (Wii)

[media]http://media.libsyn.com/media/cheapyd/cagcast114.mp3[/media] Download - 99 minutes, 45MB
[digg]http://digg.com/podcasts/CAGcast[/digg]
Past CAGcasts

Show Linkage/Notes (click the button below to expand):

Bonus Pictures & Video

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3CUwUjmF5k[/media]
By popular request, bjwoodruff's CAGs On News Theme Song

[media]http://www.cheapassgamer.com/podcast/cagsonews.mp3[/media]

Working late to prepare for my Senior Design showcase tomorrow (bleh). Definitely going to be listening to it tomorrow night.

~HotShotX

Thanks for this latest episode...

I still think you should offer that platinum membership, I would totally hit up my paypal account to get in on that action!

hooray for a new cagcast...though the next one we need wonbot to make an appearance..or cheapy to buy that robocop statue and make it a regular on the show.

bread's done
Back