CAGcast #114: Mega Muffins

• Please log in to reply
195 replies to this topic

#181 CouRageouS

CouRageouS

Rootbeer=Superwater

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2008 - 07:19 AM

I don't know if this has been asked before, but how come the Wombat avatar doesn't have glasses?
Posted ImagePosted Image

#182 Amerijapoxicano

Amerijapoxicano

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2008 - 09:26 AM

Great CAGcast again, guys.

A few things on Japan and Japanese.

1.) If that guy asking about teaching in Japan wants any advice, I've been here teaching for almost two years and can be of help if he wants to PM me.

2.) Cheapy, you are right, Japanese is (generally) always pronounced the same regardless of the word, unlike English. However, your pronunciation is pretty bad. No offense. You don't put stress on the "den" in Guy-den. Japanese is usually pronounced without stressing any syllables. You are also right about feeling like a douche when saying things like Karaoke, Karate, and even Tokyo. When I went back home, I pronounced them incorrectly to avoid being called a douche, but here in a mixed group of foreigners and Japanese, it's a lose-lose situation. But, I've had this problem ever since I was a kid and had to talk about Mexican things in front of non-Spanish speakers. It just blows, for all of those who have never had to deal with this crap.

3.) On the topic of learning Japanese: Firstly, I take offense to those guys who make it seem like Cheapy HAS to learn Japanese. My immigrant parents have been in the U.S. for over 30 years and hardly speak a lick of English yet still own 2 houses, 4 cars, and a 6-unit apartment building and 2 adorable dogs while sending 3 kids through college. That without even a high school education. So, you don't HAVE to learn Japanese, but...just learn it, Cheapy, okay? You can do it if you put your mind to it.

Secondly, don't buy Rosetta Stone. I...uhm, found a copy and hardly used it. Give it a "free trial offer" before you consider shelling out the money.

If you want to learn Japanese, unfortunately, you're going to have to make a conscious effort to study and actually use it. Everyone learns differently, however, so I can't tell you the "best" way to learn. For me it's text books and drunken chatter at bars. Now I'm elbow deep in Kanji study and I think it's paying off huge dividends. In under 2 years I can have decent conversations with people and talk to my grade school students with little trouble. Certainly you can do the same with some effort.

Oh, and lastly, sorry about the long post, Tai will learn English and Japanese just fine. I grew up in almost the same situation as him and I turned out fine. In fact, I read today that more of the world is bilingual than not. Him learning both would just make him more normal.
頑張ってね。

#183 SeanNOLA

SeanNOLA

Ohwur? Mybur.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2008 - 02:25 PM

I dunno cheapy, I kinda like what the CAGs came up with better. I mean I already use that system for old games; if a game is $60 for the PSOne, there is probably a reason. If a game is $10 for the 360, there's probably a reason for that too. And I can safely say that Wombat's &60 WiiFit review as well as the old crossbow trainer review have helped me to decide whether or not to pounce on the MSRP or to wait around for an inevitable deal on Amazon, and I just don't think seeing another "6 out of 10" would help at all.

#184 creid

creid

Dead For The Summer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2008 - 04:47 PM

I'm surprised Wombat let Cheapy get away with calling the Hulk David Banner instead of Bruce Banner. I think Cheapy's been playing too much Def Jam Icon.

#185 SeanNOLA

SeanNOLA

Ohwur? Mybur.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2008 - 07:37 PM

I'm surprised Wombat let Cheapy get away with calling the Hulk David Banner instead of Bruce Banner. I think Cheapy's been playing too much Def Jam Icon.

Well, TECHNICALLY, Cheapy wasn't wrong; Bruce Banner's full name is Dr. David Bruce Banner...

I gotta earn that US Agent Avatar.

#186 strummerbs

strummerbs

Posted 08 April 2008 - 07:43 PM

He was David Banner in the live-action television show. If I remember correctly, the network thought the alliterative name was confusing to audiences.
Posted Image

#187 Skel LaTour

Skel LaTour

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2008 - 08:37 PM

When you enter a game into your collection, you can enter what you paid.

Of course, I'm biased towards my own idea, but this is the only part of the proposed new system that I like. Hearing what other CAGs paid.

The problem that I see is that for new releases, that average is going to be pitched heavily in the $60/$50 dollar range, and it's going to take a LOT of really good deals to start bringing that initial average down.

But OK, you'll have a "community average paid" score, but c'mon Cheapy, you're the boss! The head cheese! The big man! Get an official "review price score" up there too.

Something that says: "Cheapy/Wombat says this game is worth X and if you paid more, you're a sucker."

Write it down as if it were scripture!
Engrave it into a big ass chain and wear it around your neck!
Make the people who paid too much rethink their status as a CAG!

...or whatever. :D

-m13b

p.s. Don't be afraid of any of this biting into your bottom line. The better a resource you make this site, the more visitors you bring in and the more affiliate purchases you rack up.

#188 SeanNOLA

SeanNOLA

Ohwur? Mybur.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2008 - 09:04 PM

http://www.gametrail...ayer/32634.html

maybe if they make a reversed version of this, Cheapy can learn Japanese...I mean, come on ENGLISH OF THE DEAD!

#189 R3co

R3co

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 April 2008 - 01:14 AM

Also Wombat spoke about DRM, really only referencing the 360's system of DRM.

Wombat referenced only the 360 I'm guessing because it's the worst system out there. I'm sure plenty of CAG's agree with me that Xbox Live's DRM is a ridiculous system. I had a Rock Band party at a friends Barn (no animal jokes) this weekend but obviously there was no Internet and we couldn't play any of my DLC. What drives me crazy is that I've bought my content for a premium with space bucks to boot and can only play them while I'm online, thats Bull$hit. Microsoft's DRM is crap just like their customer service and hardware quality (can you tell i'm mad).

I don't know where I'm really going with this but damn you Micro$oft.
Damn you to DLC Hell!

#190 Bravelionheart

Bravelionheart

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 April 2008 - 03:07 AM

Just thought I might point out that, when you guys were joking about Sony not listening to gamers, you guys forgot that it's gamers that got Sony to completely overhaul the main hub area of Home, from the enclosed area shown when it was first unveiled, to an open-air "town center" place that's much nicer. While Sony probably doesn't listen to gamers about most things, when it comes to Home, it seems that gamers have had a relatively noticeable impact on the development of it.

#191 DustoMan

DustoMan

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 April 2008 - 11:37 PM

Okay, first I need to say that I listen to the CAGcast because I find CheapyD a cool and interesting guy. I enjoying hearing about what's it's like to be an American living in Tokyo. I started listening last fall a couple weeks before Cheapy announced that he and his wife were having a child. As I kept listening, I started to notice a trend of Wombat having a different opinion about games then I do and I generally don't have a problem with that. He's not a fan of DLC or downloadable games. He doesn't like some of the games that I do, and he's pretty cheap. (Which I can understand because he's got a new house and kid on the way.)

Most of the time, I can ignore Wombat's snotty comments thinking to myself that he's probably doing it to make the show interesting for the listeners and I don't think much of it. However, the past three weeks have been him slowly being more and more cranky and this last week really took the cake. Between slamming downloadable games, complaining about Penny Arcade being so popular, and accusing Giant Bomb of "stealing" your podcast format, Wombat was in rare form. I actually agreed with his point that $20 is a lot to pay for a downloadable game, but when he started dismissing the game as crap based on very little knowledge of the game and attacking Penny Arcade for being too big for their britches. It just killed what D-Class Internet celebrity credibility he has.

I'm not going to even try to post why I feel he's wrong because he's probably just going to respond by telling me to stuff it where the sun don't shine, and that's not really what this thread is for. I just want to give feedback on the show. Sometimes I feel like CheapyD does really need to reach through the microphone and slap him.

#192 SeanNOLA

SeanNOLA

Ohwur? Mybur.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 April 2008 - 01:54 AM

I'm sure Wombat has been getting plenty of sleep lately. Pregnant women love sleeping, and they want their men to sleep at the same time, because they hate it when they are awake and at the ready when they need pickled taco ice cream. Also, they are very productive and need very little help, so Wombat has had nothing to do but relax lately. And he can use all of his new car and house bills to make zen origami when things like his new job stress him, so he can stay centered at all times. Oh where does all of this hostility come from? It sounds to me like Wombat's life has been all butterscotch and blow jobs recently, so he should just perk up for your sake, right?

#193 doc_zaius

doc_zaius

Beware the beast, Man.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 April 2008 - 05:33 AM

I'm sure Wombat has been getting plenty of sleep lately. Pregnant women love sleeping, and they want their men to sleep at the same time, because they hate it when they are awake and at the ready when they need pickled taco ice cream. Also, they are very productive and need very little help, so Wombat has had nothing to do but relax lately. And he can use all of his new car and house bills to make zen origami when things like his new job stress him, so he can stay centered at all times. Oh where does all of this hostility come from? It sounds to me like Wombat's life has been all butterscotch and blow jobs recently, so he should just perk up for your sake, right?

Chill Cap!

(or are you that other dude? I don't know my Capt. America mythology), nobody is hating on the wombat.

Posted Image

#194 Wombat

Wombat

CAGcast or nothin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 April 2008 - 01:48 PM

Okay, first I need to say that I listen to the CAGcast because I find CheapyD a cool and interesting guy. I enjoying hearing about what's it's like to be an American living in Tokyo. I started listening last fall a couple weeks before Cheapy announced that he and his wife were having a child. As I kept listening, I started to notice a trend of Wombat having a different opinion about games then I do and I generally don't have a problem with that. He's not a fan of DLC or downloadable games. He doesn't like some of the games that I do, and he's pretty cheap. (Which I can understand because he's got a new house and kid on the way.)

Most of the time, I can ignore Wombat's snotty comments thinking to myself that he's probably doing it to make the show interesting for the listeners and I don't think much of it. However, the past three weeks have been him slowly being more and more cranky and this last week really took the cake. Between slamming downloadable games, complaining about Penny Arcade being so popular, and accusing Giant Bomb of "stealing" your podcast format, Wombat was in rare form. I actually agreed with his point that $20 is a lot to pay for a downloadable game, but when he started dismissing the game as crap based on very little knowledge of the game and attacking Penny Arcade for being too big for their britches. It just killed what D-Class Internet celebrity credibility he has.

I'm not going to even try to post why I feel he's wrong because he's probably just going to respond by telling me to stuff it where the sun don't shine, and that's not really what this thread is for. I just want to give feedback on the show. Sometimes I feel like CheapyD does really need to reach through the microphone and slap him.

Ok for the third time in this damn thread, I NEVER SAID THAT GIANT BOMB RIPPED US OFF!!!!!!, Cheapy said that thats what he thought I said, my response to him was sarcasm, I also said that I like the show and listen to it everyweek.
Also the missed point about Penny Aracde (which I may have taken too far) it is an unproven game that is double the price of the average Live game based on a license. I was just trying to highlight how absurd I think that is, regardless if it was Penny Arcade or Spider-Man.

I hope that clears things up, thank you for the comments.

#195 Blaine

Blaine

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 April 2008 - 03:31 PM

Wombat you ignorant slut,

Not only does multiplayer belong in the GTA series, but it was TAKEN OUT of GTA (wrongly so). The original Grand Theft Auto had awesome multiplayer modes. My roommates and I spent vast amounts of time playing it at LAN parties.

Now granted they could put modes in that suck, but trust me when I say free-roaming sandbox multiplayer games in the GTA world can be done in such a way that they kick ass... because they have.

#196 LiK

LiK

Internet Superstar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 April 2008 - 05:06 PM

Ok for the third time in this damn thread, I NEVER SAID THAT GIANT BOMB RIPPED US OFF!!!!!!, Cheapy said that thats what he thought I said, my response to him was sarcasm, I also said that I like the show and listen to it everyweek.

not a rip off, more like a homage :)
63362.png
Blog | Twitter
"You lazy f*ck!" - Artie Lange to CheapyD on 8/31/09