XBOX 360 Red Ring of Death FAQ: Soon to be known as the Red Dot of Death! :P

• Please log in to reply
2854 replies to this topic

#31 mikefavata

mikefavata

www.mikefavata.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 April 2008 - 12:21 AM

The Fed EX box came today, I was surprised that the label was for overnight shipping. So the my Xbox & power supply should be in Texas by monday.

I wish there was a way to get a new one like most people are, if they just fix this shit replacement that didn't last 24 hours in the first place...

#32 NTolerance

NTolerance

Vich one of you is crying

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 April 2008 - 01:15 AM

If my 360 is on it's last legs, I honestly might just go buy another one rather than wait two months and let all my friends get ahead of me in GTAIV.

Buying another 360 would be rewarding Microsoft for building shitty hardware. Sony took advantage of this last gen with the PS2 DREs. A lot of people bought extra PS2s because of it.

#33 mogshaz

mogshaz

Posted 12 April 2008 - 01:27 AM

I couldn't comment for sure on the first two things, but i think the rattling from your 360 moving might just be the position indicator inside of the 360. I know that makes a rattling noise on all 360s.

#34 Sofa King Kool

Sofa King Kool

Is srsly...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 April 2008 - 01:40 AM

I couldn't comment for sure on the first two things, but i think the rattling from your 360 moving might just be the position indicator inside of the 360. I know that makes a rattling noise on all 360s.

It's a different rattling sound. I can hear the position indicator and this other rattle. The unknown rattle sounds more like a spring that's still attached at one end. I'm moving the console again though, and now I can't hear it...

Posted Image

#35 kfkl

kfkl

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 April 2008 - 03:06 AM

mine is doing the same thing. fucking annoying.
post count +1

#36 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

Missed out on the Great Walmart glitch of 11/6 due to FLAT TIRE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 April 2008 - 03:58 AM

Ok, I updated the OP with new questions and pictures!!! Hopefully I fixed the formatting issue. Also the 360 I got back today was from 2006!! (my old one was from 2006!):bomb: So I think I got someone else's 360. So far it seems a bit quieter than the one I sent in but the drive is a Toshiba and not a BenQ drive :-( oh well. Lets see how long this one lasts. Also the Clank/Vert sound that was present in the last 2 360 I had is now gone! :-)

#37 TheRock88

TheRock88

The Franchise

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 April 2008 - 04:16 AM

Both my cousin's 360 and mine died within a week of each other. His coffin just arrived today and mine should be here sometime next week.

#38 StonedJedi

StonedJedi

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 April 2008 - 04:23 AM

The Fed EX box came today, I was surprised that the label was for overnight shipping. So the my Xbox & power supply should be in Texas by monday.

I wish there was a way to get a new one like most people are, if they just fix this shit replacement that didn't last 24 hours in the first place...

I have to send my power supply in as well, I wonder if this means we might get new one's back. I told them to not even think of sending me the POS they just sent me back. I guess we will find out soon enough. Nice to hear about the overnight shipping, at least that is a positive.

#39 lunatic_pandora

lunatic_pandora

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 April 2008 - 04:55 AM

My disc drive randomly decides not to open, and I get frequent single red-lights. SHIT HARDWARE.
Posted Image

#40 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 April 2008 - 05:16 AM

hmmm...I am going to update the OP if I see more reports that when your replacement system conks out again and MS requests the power brick along with the system.

#41 TheRock88

TheRock88

The Franchise

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 April 2008 - 05:39 AM

That's what happened to my cousin. He sent his in before and now they want him to send the power brick and cord with the system.

Mine is being repaired for the first time and I only have to send in the system. When I asked the CS person how come I didnt have to send in the brick, she said that they only take it for consoles that were repaired. She did ask me though if I wanted to send it in any ways.

#42 Rozz

Rozz

Posted 12 April 2008 - 05:38 PM

There's a rumor that someone on the "inside source" at Microsoft said that Microsoft knew about the hardware issues a long time ago...

#43 Rozz

Rozz

Posted 12 April 2008 - 05:40 PM

Ok, I updated the OP with new questions and pictures!!! Hopefully I fixed the formatting issue. Also the 360 I got back today was from 2006!! (my old one was from 2006!):bomb: So I think I got someone else's 360. So far it seems a bit quieter than the one I sent in but the drive is a Toshiba and not a BenQ drive :-( oh well. Lets see how long this one lasts. Also the Clank/Vert sound that was present in the last 2 360 I had is now gone! :-)

Wait, so Microsoft lied to you? Didn't you say that they said that they were going to send you a brand new unit?

#44 1ivewire

1ivewire

Posted 12 April 2008 - 06:27 PM

Got my first red ring today on my unit purchased about a year after launch. It came after watching about 5 minutes of Planet Earth of all things.

Sigh.. looks like GTA4 will launch a little later for me.

#45 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 April 2008 - 06:35 PM

Wait, so Microsoft lied to you? Didn't you say that they said that they were going to send you a brand new unit?

yep. The Indian Outsource CSR lied to me. :bomb:

a little update that clank/vert sound still occurs when you boot with a disc inside !!

#46 RAMSTORIA

RAMSTORIA

fate is inexorable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 April 2008 - 06:44 PM

xbox 360 #3 was shipped to me yesterday, should arrive sometime next week.

Posted Image

#47 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 April 2008 - 07:01 PM

There's a rumor that someone on the "inside source" at Microsoft said that Microsoft knew about the hardware issues a long time ago...

Oh I believe it... I am sure a few engineers knew there was a series of design flaws with the system and that they needed to spend a few more months to a year to fix it, but of course the MS big wigs wanted to beat Sony and Nintendo by a year.

#48 porieux

porieux

Posted 12 April 2008 - 09:47 PM

Buying another 360 would be rewarding Microsoft for building shitty hardware. Sony took advantage of this last gen with the PS2 DREs. A lot of people bought extra PS2s because of it.

Plus, if you buy a new one they won't switch over the DRM for you (as far as I know).

#49 life.exe

life.exe

We're done here.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 April 2008 - 01:40 AM

hmmm...I am going to update the OP if I see more reports that when your replacement system conks out again and MS requests the power brick along with the system.

I was told to send in my power brick aswell.

#50 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 April 2008 - 05:12 AM

I was told to send in my power brick aswell.

ok I updated the OP and posted this as a question at the bottom until I can get some sort of confirmation that MS is requesting any new RRoD have their power bricks sent back as well. This could be something new for this month as my unit RRoD last month and I wasn't told this.

#51 AshesofWake

AshesofWake

chum is fum

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 April 2008 - 05:20 AM

ordered my coffin online right now, all my 360 does is freeze or give me the red rings, woooopeeee
WHAT A HORRIBLE NIGHT TO HAVE A CURSE

Posted Image

Avatar record spinning: Pelican - Ataraxia/Taraxis EP

#52 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 April 2008 - 05:26 AM

ordered my coffin online right now, all my 360 does is freeze or give me the red rings, woooopeeee

Hey do you have a direct link to the order site or do you have to "log in" with your live account id?

#53 AshesofWake

AshesofWake

chum is fum

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 April 2008 - 05:30 AM

log in regular into xbox.com and one of the options is Manage Profile, then on the right side, last one is Registration and Repair, click that.
WHAT A HORRIBLE NIGHT TO HAVE A CURSE

Posted Image

Avatar record spinning: Pelican - Ataraxia/Taraxis EP

#54 Sofa King Kool

Sofa King Kool

Is srsly...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 April 2008 - 05:40 AM

DRM

I'll probably remember what that means tomorrow morning, but right now I'm extremely tired...and I don't know what DRM is...

Posted Image

#55 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 April 2008 - 07:17 AM

I'll probably remember what that means tomorrow morning, but right now I'm extremely tired...and I don't know what DRM is...

Digital Rights Management.

#56 Sofa King Kool

Sofa King Kool

Is srsly...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 April 2008 - 03:59 PM

Digital Rights Management.

Ah....

...What's digital rights management?

Posted Image

#57 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 April 2008 - 05:36 PM

Ah....

...What's digital rights management?

http://en.wikipedia....ghts_management

in other words, the way company's control the stuff we buy and the way we can use it after we buy it :bomb:

#58 bsesb2003

bsesb2003

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 April 2008 - 08:59 PM

My launch 360 finally went to heaven -- of course, I put on a black casing which voided the warranty -- this was before they extended it...bad timing!

#59 Bowlerguy92

Bowlerguy92

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2008 - 12:29 AM

I ordered up the coffin the other day for my Xbox 360 due to the E74 error :(. You never completely feel it until it happens to you...........I am just towel tricking it for now until the coffin comes.

#60 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2008 - 03:32 AM

Anyone who got a replacement unit tried using the USB cable to charge the controller battery only to find out that not only it's NOT charging the battery when the unit is off, but when you try to start the unit with the controller plugged in, your 360 power like "blinks" and stays blinking?

Is that normal? That never happened to the other 360's I've had.