XBOX 360 Red Ring of Death FAQ: Soon to be known as the Red Dot of Death! :P

• Please log in to reply
2854 replies to this topic

#91 Veronica Mars

Veronica Mars

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2008 - 09:26 PM

I guess people aren't reading the FAQ which answers this.

Yeah, I noticed that.

Even before I called, I knew I was gonna get a different one. It's only been 2-3 business days.

#92 life.exe

life.exe

We're done here.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2008 - 12:50 AM

whoa what? are they doing same week turnarounds in April?!?!?!?!

Yeah, my whole process has been really quick. By the time I get mine back it will have only been about 2 weeks since I called support for my coffin. Sent my box off to them just 4-5 days ago(Only 3 Business Days) and its already on its way back.

#93 RAMSTORIA

RAMSTORIA

fate is inexorable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2008 - 05:26 AM

finally got mine back. im pretty sure its the same unit (i didnt memorize the serial number, but i think the manufacture date is the same). seems to be running good. i swear my dvd drive is a lot more quiet and there is definitely a new (or possibly fans) in the unit because you can hear them spinning like crazy when you turn it on.

so i guess i traded dvd noise for fan noise. i dont care as long as it works.

Posted Image

#94 popemogoth

popemogoth

pop-EMO-goth

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2008 - 08:21 AM

Hey guys guess what? I'm on RRoD #4 and I had to speak to the stank breath pakis once more. I told the guy if he could just email me a pre-paid shipping label and said he couldn't and I asked for a supervisor and gotten that taken cared off and he offered me PGR3. Wow how exciting yay! Not!

#95 illmatic21

illmatic21

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2008 - 09:41 AM

My 360 died on me and I'm strongly debating buying an Elite and then selling my old 360 on craigslist or something once it comes back. Does anyone know if they still have those transfer cables or whatever so you can move your saves/gamertag from your old 360 hard drive to the new one? I know Gamestop used to give them to you when the Elites first came out but I don't know if its still like that or what. If anyone has any information on that or any recommendations on what I should do in general, let me know. Thanks. : )

#96 V4Oldboy

V4Oldboy

Vengeance 4 Oldboy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2008 - 03:02 PM

OK, I just ordered a 360 off of the amazon warehouse. I called them up before I bought it and they told me that it had the full microsoft warranty, 3 yr rrod. Once I get it, how can I check if it really does?

They told me it was a new item, but the box was damaged.

"You WROTE it, you can't UN-WRITE it!" - Maurice LaMarche

[if you need help funding a PSN gameshare (US) I'm happy to help out fellow CAGs (PM me) as long as you are patient.]

#97 Sofa King Kool

Sofa King Kool

Is srsly...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2008 - 03:13 PM

May have just been damaged in the mail. My 360 came back from the repair center with holes in it.

If you ordered a new 360, chances are it's a new 360.

Posted Image

#98 Poor2More

Poor2More

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2008 - 03:24 PM

I just called up India(Im sure) and I am enititled to a free repair, but I have to try back in 2 hours, because they are updating
Posted Image

#99 V4Oldboy

V4Oldboy

Vengeance 4 Oldboy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2008 - 03:33 PM

May have just been damaged in the mail. My 360 came back from the repair center with holes in it.

If you ordered a new 360, chances are it's a new 360.

Thats just the problem, they told me it was new, but other cags say the warehouse ones are all refurbs...

[if you need help funding a PSN gameshare (US) I'm happy to help out fellow CAGs (PM me) as long as you are patient.]

#100 Poor2More

Poor2More

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2008 - 03:52 PM

How long does it generally take to recieve the "Coffin" and how long to have your console repairs, thank you
Posted Image

#101 sociopharm02

sociopharm02

The Pure Raw Uncut

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2008 - 04:18 PM

I got my replacement 360 sent back to me. This was the quickest I have ever had the turn around be. Total turn around time of under 2 weeks. Thats to call the problem in, get the coffin, send it in and get a new one. Maybe #5 will be the one that lasts. I highly doubt it, but a guy can dream.

#102 fieldkillah

fieldkillah

Bleeds Black & Gold

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2008 - 06:34 PM

I said Fuck it and put a new DVD drive in myself. Works just like new.
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

#103 popemogoth

popemogoth

pop-EMO-goth

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2008 - 07:31 PM

Hey guys what should I do? My box had the RRod for the 4th time and It's due for repair. But now it's no longer flashing the 3 red lights but instead it actually let's me play from anywhere between 10-30 mins before it freezes the game ...should I send it in anyways or will they just send it back and said I lied?

#104 Poor2More

Poor2More

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2008 - 07:47 PM

^this is why im afraid to do the towle trick,
Posted Image

#105 Sichuman

Sichuman

Posted 17 April 2008 - 11:45 PM

I just got a replacement unit back from Microsoft. It is in excellent condition just like the one I sent in. I have to say that it is quieter than the one I sent in. The fans are not as loud and the dvd drive is not as loud as well. It is a little older than the one I sent in though but I don't care as long as it lasts. The only thing I am irritated about is they haven't transferred the service contract over to the replacement yet. I hope this doesn't become a problem because they told me to wait 30 days to see if it is transferred and if not call back. There is obviously no communication between the different departments. I guess I will see what happens but at least I am ready for GTA IV now.

#106 Superstar

Superstar

CAG Superstar!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2008 - 12:15 AM

Hey guys what should I do? My box had the RRod for the 4th time and It's due for repair. But now it's no longer flashing the 3 red lights but instead it actually let's me play from anywhere between 10-30 mins before it freezes the game ...should I send it in anyways or will they just send it back and said I lied?

Try to overheat it on purpose. It's pretty much the only thing you can do that I can think of. Just stuff it in a corner and make the room as hot as possible. Hopefully it works out for you, man. You really have nothing to lose.

As for me, I just got the RROD for the first time today. My girlfriend was playing TF2 and the screen turned pink. We shut the console down and when we turned it on, there were the red rings. :( We called Microsoft and we were going through the process then the guy was like, we can't do it right now, we are updating our systems, and told us to call back in 3 or so hours, which will be 9pm eastern time. The guy was VERY rude with us, and pretty much acted like we were complete morons. Anyways, we tried the towel trick (Thanks CheepyD for that youtube video!) and it's been working for about 30 minutes now. Hopefully it lasts until I get on the phone tonight and they send me my coffin. I will post here what happens. We took videos of it and even recorded the conversation with Microsoft, so we may add the videos to youtube soon just for the fun of it.

#107 Mendoza

Mendoza

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2008 - 02:26 AM

Mine Red Ringed today out of the blue. Never had a problem with it, not weird mess ups like my friends elite had before it died. I tried to call in today but they said their servers for handeling the repair orders were messed up so i would have to call back tommorow.

Anyone had that happen to thenm?

Also if i get sent another console is their any chance it might be the new model with hdmi? I have a 2006 model but since they replaced that model i thought there might be a chance i get an new one with hdmi. Not likely but nothing wrong with hope right.

#108 Superstar

Superstar

CAG Superstar!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2008 - 02:30 AM

Mine Red Ringed today out of the blue. Never had a problem with it, not weird mess ups like my friends elite had before it died. I tried to call in today but they said their servers for handeling the repair orders were messed up so i would have to call back tommorow.

Also if i get sent another console is their any chance it might be the new model with hdmi? I have a 2006 model but since they replaced that model i thought there might be a chance i get an new one with hdmi. Not likely but nothing wrong with hope right.

Yeah I called back again for the second time today and they said their servers are STILL down and I have to call back tomorrow. I used the towel trick and I've been able to play for hours tonight thankfully.

I doubt they will send you an elite back. True though.. there is always hope !

#109 addicted2games

addicted2games

游戏玩家为生活 !!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2008 - 03:13 AM

Ok, what the hell?!! I just got an email from MS that they still havent received my Xbox yet and I only have 30 days for the repair order to be good, otherwise they will cancel it. My Xbox arrived at MS Tuesday and I just checked the status and another one was sent out today supposedly. Tracking on it just started, so there is no info yet. Why would they say they havent received my system, but I am getting sent another one out as we speak. C'mon MS, get your sh*t together!

#110 Mendoza

Mendoza

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2008 - 03:34 AM

Oh i didnt mean the elite, i meant the hdmi pro model.

I have the old 20 gig without hdmi.

I guess it doesnt bode well when ther system cant handle the amount of traffic they have.

#111 StonedJedi

StonedJedi

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2008 - 05:27 AM

No chance at all, you will get a refurb unit.

#112 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

My foot itches..must be athlete's foot

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2008 - 06:15 AM

So what's the deal? Is the repair center totally out of 2008 models and now sending out refurbs?!?!?

#113 bkforyou

bkforyou

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2008 - 06:34 AM

how many days does the xbox stay at the repair center on average? or other CAG's experience.

Mine just got there today and I'm trying to see if I'll get it back before GTA IV launch. (fingers crossed...)

#114 Mendoza

Mendoza

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2008 - 06:53 AM

I see its the old, its new to you idea. And they wonder why they keep dieing. Stop giving us ones that you already had to play reanimator with.

#115 V4Oldboy

V4Oldboy

Vengeance 4 Oldboy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2008 - 04:10 PM

Does anyone have any tips for cooling your 360? I have heard and seen of people using pc fans to cool it. They put two on the back, to help suck the air out and two on the side to help blow air in. I actually have a few of these fans that I rigged together as an experiment in a lab. I just cut up a ac/dc converter and hooked up 6 fans to it. I would just remove 2 of them. Is this know to help, or what? Or any other tips would be appreciated.

#116 bigdsinferno

bigdsinferno

unicorns are kick ass!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2008 - 07:49 PM

i just got my second rrod. Awful timing, i was looking forward to gta! i can't wait to get another refurb that will last a couple months.
they really need to get their shit together. The 3 year warranty isn't going to be enough when we are getting 2006 models that will red ring again sometime next year (if not, before)

btw, my refurb lasted about 6 months.
Posted Image

#117 bkforyou

bkforyou

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2008 - 08:48 PM

so my 360 arrived at the service center yesterday according to UPS shipping tracker. this morning when i checked the status of my console, it's already set to "Device Shipped to Customer."

My 360 didn't red ring. The console worked w/ sound, but the GPU died and had no visual. I guess that means it's not qualified even for repair and I will be getting a refurb one.

#118 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2008 - 12:29 AM

so my 360 arrived at the service center yesterday according to UPS shipping tracker. this morning when i checked the status of my console, it's already set to "Device Shipped to Customer."

My 360 didn't red ring. The console worked w/ sound, but the GPU died and had no visual. I guess that means it's not qualified even for repair and I will be getting a refurb one.

Is the serial number the same as the one you sent them?

If it's the same, it could mean that they won't fix it because it's not cover by their warranty so your might get your saying that it's not covered and your SoL.

#119 bkforyou

bkforyou

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2008 - 02:32 AM

Is the serial number the same as the one you sent them?

If it's the same, it could mean that they won't fix it because it's not cover by their warranty so your might get your saying that it's not covered and your SoL.

the serial numbers the same and mine is already out of warranty so I had to pay the $100 repair fee.

it's on its way back and the warranty is now updated saying "In Warranty".

#120 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 April 2008 - 02:34 AM

the serial numbers the same and mine is already out of warranty so I had to pay the $100 repair fee.

it's on its way back and the warranty is now updated saying "In Warranty".

So wait, they told you to pay them 100 dollars for the GPU failure but no RRoD and send it in?