• Please log in to reply
2853 replies to this topic

#2761 6er

6er

XBOX, GO HOME

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 December 2010 - 11:52 PM

SLIM FAILURE UPDATE:

this is a weird one all my phat replacements come from the reapir place......My slim was shipped to the place in Texas where they normally go for repair......and wait for it:

the tracking number for my replacement is coming from MEXICO. Just cleared customs on the 10th, no update since.....anyone explain this for me?

#2762 gantt

gantt

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2010 - 12:20 AM

SLIM FAILURE UPDATE:

this is a weird one all my phat replacements come from the reapir place......My slim was shipped to the place in Texas where they normally go for repair......and wait for it:

the tracking number for my replacement is coming from MEXICO. Just cleared customs on the 10th, no update since.....anyone explain this for me?

1. Cheap labor
2. No OSHA
3. No EPA

Comprende?

#2763 6er

6er

XBOX, GO HOME

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2010 - 02:46 AM

that doesn't make sense. Ship it to texas, then they store replacements in mexico? Two facilities for the same thing a few hundred miles apart....think about it for a minute....total waste of money. Microsoft doesn't waste money like that.

#2764 gantt

gantt

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2010 - 01:26 PM

that doesn't make sense. Ship it to texas, then they store replacements in mexico? Two facilities for the same thing a few hundred miles apart....think about it for a minute....total waste of money. Microsoft doesn't waste money like that.

How do you know the facilities are for the same thing?
One is receiving.
One is shipping, and may be refurbing as well.
Also, how do you know they are "a few hundred miles apart"? Where in Mexico does it say it's coming from?

#2765 6er

6er

XBOX, GO HOME

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2010 - 01:50 PM

I've been through this 5 times. You send it in to mesquite for repair, they send you one that's been repaired from mesquite. How do I know it's hundreds of miles? Common sense(nothing personal:) look up Mesquite Texas on a map

I'll rephrase my question:

Can anyone explain this that knows for a fact what is going on, without guessing.

I'm hoping they have a console manufacturing facility in Mexico. We know they burn game discs there.

#2766 gantt

gantt

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2010 - 02:18 AM

I've been through this 5 times. You send it in to mesquite for repair, they send you one that's been repaired from mesquite. How do I know it's hundreds of miles? Common sense(nothing personal:) look up Mesquite Texas on a map

I'll rephrase my question:

Can anyone explain this that knows for a fact what is going on, without guessing.

I'm hoping they have a console manufacturing facility in Mexico. We know they burn game discs there.

Ha. You got me there. I ASSuMEd Mesquite was a border town. Texas geography fail.

As for someone who knows for a fact, I'm sure the Xbox refurb supply chain manager is a CAG regular and will be along shortly.

Why do you care? If I get a working 360 in good cosmetic shape that lasts as long as my original, I could care less if it's shipped from BFE.

#2767 6er

6er

XBOX, GO HOME

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2010 - 01:03 PM

To quote the great philosopher Jerry Seinfield: Never assume, it leads to assumptions

EVERY one of my replacements has failed. One 1 lasted longer than a original, and that was probably only because I hardly played it for almost a year. When I startd playing regularly again.....fail

Edited by 6er, 14 December 2010 - 01:49 PM.

#2768 6er

6er

XBOX, GO HOME

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2010 - 08:49 PM

interesting, they don't require signature anymore? Not exactly complaining, that's caused me headaches before. My town is serviced by a ups facility over a few counties and 30 min away. Even though there is a facility in the neighboring town.O_o

#2769 6er

6er

XBOX, GO HOME

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 December 2010 - 10:15 PM

k, here is the post you all have been waiting for!

I got I back. Same console ID number, but the replaced the original product info sticker, that is above all the ports on the rear, with a new one that also lists a service date (at the top). It is NOT covering the old sticker, and to add to that:

they must have put a new body on. This thing looks brand new, and yes, while the one I sent in was only weeks old, it had scuff from setting the controller on top when not in use( on the flat glossy top, never over a vent of course, and only when off). I didn't know it was scuffed it until I shipped it(fyi to all those to have a glossy one), but this one is perfect. Plus my controller turned it on. Oddly I had to do kinect setup again

Edited by 6er, 15 December 2010 - 12:57 AM.

#2770 gantt

gantt

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2010 - 01:22 AM

This thing looks brand new... this one is perfect.

But it shipped from MEXICO! It must smell of tortillas or something...

Ha, you were so concerned.

One thought I had (because you clearly love speculation) is that the slim refurb pipeline isn't full yet, so they're shipping units from a facility in Mexico that also makes new units.

Anyway, hope it works out for you. And I hope I get as lucky in the repair lottery.

#2771 bmoney1023

bmoney1023

Posted 17 December 2010 - 04:29 PM

Just had a 4gb slim fail on me. First it took forever connecting to anything on xbox live then on restart it would get a black error screen and a red light on the console. I bought it at Target on Black Friday so I figure they'll let me exchange it for a new one, right, since it's been less than 30 days?

#2772 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 December 2010 - 05:08 PM

Just had a 4gb slim fail on me. First it took forever connecting to anything on xbox live then on restart it would get a black error screen and a red light on the console. I bought it at Target on Black Friday so I figure they'll let me exchange it for a new one, right, since it's been less than 30 days?

Yes. And since you bought it on BF, it'll be within their extended return period which goes into January. You're covered either way.

Though, if you bought any Xbox DLC content, you'll need to do the License Transfer on it to transfer the DRM licenses to the new console when you get it swapped out. If you didn't buy any DLC, it's a non-issue.

#2773 bmoney1023

bmoney1023

Posted 17 December 2010 - 05:25 PM

Yes. And since you bought it on BF, it'll be within their extended return period which goes into January. You're covered either way.

Though, if you bought any Xbox DLC content, you'll need to do the License Transfer on it to transfer the DRM licenses to the new console when you get it swapped out. If you didn't buy any DLC, it's a non-issue.

Thanks. This is frustrating since my old one RRODed 3 times and I figured the new slims would be able to last a lot longer than 1 month. I don't even really play it for more than 2 hrs at a time either.

#2774 typical guy

typical guy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 December 2010 - 01:36 AM

I just had my second console failure. I was nice on the phone at first but as the CSR kept telling me that I would have to pay, I slowly got louder and angrier on the phone. Finally after half an hour I'm getting an out of warranty repair done for free.

Had they not done the free repair I was either going to buy a new console and use a data transfer cable or sell all my 360 stuff and play only my PS3. Now I don't have to worry about the decision. It really does suck that they think you should PAY them $100 for a refurbished console that's going to break so you can pay them $100 so they can send you a refurbished console that's going to break so you can...
So without the free repair, I was likely going to buy a new one but I was starting to get pretty damn mad.

So a quick question:
There's a big XBL sale next week that I've been looking forward to. If I buy stuff on sale then transfer my license over to the new consoles, will I be able to play games that I've never downloaded before on the new console offline? I did the license transfer with my first refurb but I didn't buy stuff through the computer in the middle of the repair.

Edited by typical guy, 18 December 2010 - 01:50 AM.

#2775 PirateChaun

PirateChaun

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 December 2010 - 03:35 AM

So my 5th Xbox 360 just died on me the other day :bomb:. Another RROD! My 5th RROD...... Its a miracle, but it lasted 3 years and 2 months! Much better then my other 4:

First one: lasted 2 weeks. Second one: lasted 4 months. Third one: lasted 2 months. Fourth one: lasted 1 year. 5th one: lasted for 3 years and 2 months! Record time!

So I guess my 3 year RROD warranty has expired......and since I really dont want another refurbished console that will die on me again. I actually just bought a brand new 250GB console. I wonder how long this one will last? Thanks Microsoft for your quality products!

Edited by PirateChaun, 19 December 2010 - 07:23 AM.

#2776 twa318

twa318

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 December 2010 - 04:44 AM

So my 5th Xbox 360 just died on me the other day :bomb:. Another RROD! My 5th RROD...... Its a miracle, but it lasted 3 years and 2 months! Much better then my other 4:

First one: lasted 2 weeks. Second one: lasted 4 months. Third one: lasted 2 months. Fourth one: lasted 1 year. 5th one: lasted for 3 years and 2 months! Record time!

So I guess my 3 year RROD warranty has expired......and since I really dont want another refurbished console that will die on my again. I actually just bought a brand new 250GB console. I wonder how long this one will last? Thanks Microsoft for your quality products!

do PS3's fail at such a rate as the Xbox 360? I think I need to stop throwing money at a console that breaks so consistently

#2777 gantt

gantt

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 December 2010 - 08:13 PM

So I guess my 3 year RROD warranty has expired......and since I really dont want another refurbished console that will die on me again. I actually just bought a brand new 250GB console. I wonder how long this one will last? Thanks Microsoft for your quality products!

Given your location, I'd take your RROD over to the Xbox campus tonight and make a nice little tombstone out of it - listing all your consoles and how long they lasted - for the Microsofties to see on their way in. Not that they care, but it would be fun.

#2778 steveovig

steveovig

WadeBoggsCarpet Warehouse

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2010 - 07:12 AM

So I've got a question for you guys, I was playing a game today and my 250 GB Slim automatically shut down with no warning or anything. I didn't notice a red ring and still don't but the system won't turn on anymore and the ring on my controller keeps flashing green over and over. What does this mean? I'm new to the 360 scene and I'm wondering if my console just tanked.

EDIT: Nevermind, as it turns out my wife just accidently unplugged it. I feel like an idiot but I am relieved!

Edited by steveovig, 24 December 2010 - 07:24 AM.

Posted Image

#2779 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

Missed out on the Great Walmart glitch of 11/6 due to FLAT TIRE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 December 2010 - 07:55 AM

I have a SLIM failure to report:

250GB Slim Kinect bundle, about 3 weeks old. Started freezing up, could not get more than 20 minutes of it being on(gaming or not) before it would completely freeze up, did this about 8 times in a row before I gave up and shipped it to MS for repair.

By freeze I mean: the screen would freeze frame, no sound, no reponse to anything but turning it off. The power brick was still green, as was the 360 light. there was no other sign anything was wrong besides it froze. I went through all the troubleshooting crap, checked cables, cleared cache, unplugged for a while, blah blah blah. This is #5 or 6 failbox for me

ack.... mind posting a pic of your Red Dot of death slim so I can honor you the proper way?

#2780 Wolfpup

Wolfpup

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 December 2010 - 12:14 PM

Having just semi-randomly bought an S, I'm going to be pissed if it ends up being less reliable than Jasper :-(
Please help cure diseases like cancer and Parkinson's by running Folding @ Home! :)
Recent games, Netflix Scale:
[LIST]

Posted Image

#2781 Gigan22

Gigan22

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 December 2010 - 02:00 AM

My 360 started freezing up on me a few days ago. This is a pre-Jasper "fixed" machine from Microsoft. Third one actually. Unfortunately that means it's out of the RROD warranty period. It hasn't RROD'd yet but I know it's getting there. I can play Darksiders for a while(anywhere from 5-30 minutes) before it'll lock up again.

So that means I either have to pay Microsoft to fix the damn thing, which I'd rather not do considering they can't keep their supposedly fixed machines working properly, pay a local repair shop to fix it, or buy a new one. I could attempt a repair myself, but I'm not sure I trust myself to do that. Buying a new one isn't out of the question, but I have a 120GB hdd I paid Microsoft's absurdly high price for that won't work with the newer models. I suppose there are still older models available but why pay for one when I could get my current one fixed. Though my current one doesn't have the HDMI port which is disheartening but I'm not sure if shelling out the extra cash is worth it for HDMI.

EDIT: A friend sold me his not even a year old Arcade system for $80. So thankfully my going to be lack of Xbox status was resolved quickly and rather cheaply.

Edited by Gigan22, 26 December 2010 - 06:11 PM.

635480.png

#2782 Blackout

Blackout

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 December 2010 - 07:37 PM

How come when I check the repair status with my reference number, it always says "Repair status cannot be retrieved"? It's been saying that since I sent it in. I know my system got to the destination on the 20th because I checked through UPS tracking. Did anyone else have this problem when they sent their 360 in?

#2783 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 02 January 2011 - 05:53 PM

Got my first RROD on New Year's Eve. It was a pre-falcon model that just had the extra heat sink but original chip. Was bought in Oct. 2007 so out of RROD warranty.

I just bought a Slim. Figured it was good excuse to upgrade to a quieter model and get more hard drive space so I could install games, not have to be deleting crap to make room for DLC in games like Dragon Age etc.

The Slim did freeze up on my once in a marathon session of Dragon Age yesterday. Hopefully that was just a game glitch!

3DS Friend Code: 2595-0524-8826

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#2784 hatchetwest

hatchetwest

Posted 05 January 2011 - 02:57 AM

How come when I check the repair status with my reference number, it always says "Repair status cannot be retrieved"? It's been saying that since I sent it in. I know my system got to the destination on the 20th because I checked through UPS tracking. Did anyone else have this problem when they sent their 360 in?

I'm currently having this problem with my Xbox, but mine got there on the 30th.
I called Xbox support and the woman told me that it is still en route to the repair location, even though ups tracking says that it has arrived... Were your problems resolved by any chance?

#2785 gantt

gantt

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2011 - 07:27 AM

i just wish apple designed the system and not microsoft (lol)

Lol indeed. One of the few electronics failures I've had was my Mac, which generated so much heat when it failed that it warped the plastic vents in the case. Room was filled with an acrid odor. At least the Xbox went out with a whimper.

#2786 Allnatural

Allnatural

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 January 2011 - 11:07 PM

the extra top fan is really nice... i just wish apple designed the system and not microsoft (lol)

FYI, that's not an extra fan, it's the only fan.

#2787 umcthomas

umcthomas

We're all mad here.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2011 - 12:59 AM

Just wanted to check to say my "old" edition 360 had its:

3rd RROD (first out of extended warranty). I got it fixed at a local game store for $40.

Just to rub salt in the wound, 10 days AFTER the 30 day "fix" warranty it gave me the:

4th RROD. I fixed it this time with help from youtube and a $3 tube of thermal glue.

I'm too cheap to spring for a slim...but I'm getting close.

#2788 gantt

gantt

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 January 2011 - 01:01 AM

Just wanted to check to say my "old" edition 360 had its:

3rd RROD (first out of extended warranty). I got it fixed at a local game store for $40.

Just to rub salt in the wound, 10 days AFTER the 30 day "fix" warranty it gave me the:

4th RROD. I fixed it this time with help from youtube and a $3 tube of thermal glue.

I'm too cheap to spring for a slim...but I'm getting close.

You've got my vote for CAG of the Year nominee.

#2789 Mospeada_21

Mospeada_21

Zombie Hunter \\*//

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2011 - 05:48 PM

joining this thread as an official broken 360 member. mine E74 error'ed this past weekend, it took about 2 yrs and 4 months from date of purchase for it to happen. I got to experience all the joys of graphical glitches, game lock ups, and the sort prior to death. damn, I was working on plants vs zombies and hoping to get to the end.

in short, the unit got sent in for service; now back to the original xbox. got some AAA backlog on the previous gen to work down. Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction!! Aaargh!!!
Now Playing in HD, Progressive Scan, Widescreen, 5.1 DPLII & Dolby Digital, and online or LAN whenever possible.

#2790 Lexxon

Lexxon

In the face!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 January 2011 - 06:26 PM

For all of you asking about the 3 year RRoD warranty, if you get it and the Xbox is out of that warranty, I still recommend calling their service center up, rather than using the online form. The online form will want to charge you $100 no matter what, but I called them up and they never mentioned any charges and fixed my brother's 4 year old (and one-time refurb, but over a year ago) RRoD Xbox right up. No charges, no hassle, the same as it would have been under warranty.

Maybe I got lucky or they changed their policy since then, but it seems their staff is trained to check for the RRoD (and maybe E74) specifically and to make exceptions for it, possibly even past the warranty period.