CAG Game Review Suggestions Thread

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#31 doc_zaius

doc_zaius

Beware the beast, Man.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 April 2008 - 05:03 PM

please don't do a monetary system, value is very much in the eye of the beholder. Even though we're all "cheap-asses", what is worth $60 to me is different than what is worth $60 to you.

#32 Nephlabobo

Nephlabobo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 April 2008 - 05:05 PM

You guys are making this *way* too complicated.

I like Cheapy's suggestion of Buy, Rent or Avoid it.

As for a numbered score of some sort, Cheapy can can just attach the number that each person selected in the choices above.

(Ie 80 people said Buy it, 50 said Rent and 30 people said avoid)

Cheapy's right about numbered scores, everything gets stuck in that 7-9 range and Buy, Rent, Avoid is good enough as a monetary system. It tells you whether it's worth your money or not and it's simple.

#33 option.iv

option.iv

Posted 12 April 2008 - 05:59 PM

I think a 1-10 scale with .5 increments would be fine. People have different standards of "buy, rent, avoid it", the same can be said for the number system. But I think the numbered scale (1-10) is just right for flexibility and uniformity. I would suggest some sort of description for the certain scores, like someone posted earlier "5 - great, perfect, must buy", etc.

And you'd probably need some sort of review score reporting system to keep those spammers out of the system. Or basically some sort of input confirmation.

But in all seriousness, I don't think a review system would be good for this site, atm.

test.gif

#34 HotShotX

HotShotX

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 April 2008 - 07:15 PM

please don't do a monetary system, value is very much in the eye of the beholder. Even though we're all "cheap-asses", what is worth $60 to me is different than what is worth $60 to you.

That's the whole point behind review systems in general. Regardless of whether or not we stick a price tag along with our review, we're still saying whether or not a game is worth buying, renting, or avoiding.

But as CAGs, we should take it a step further and say what the game's value is, instead of having to read every detail of a review just to learn "So they really liked the game, but felt $60 was a tad high, and $30 is a good price".

Buying is a very detailed issue in and of itself on CAG. As you said, one CAG might be willing to pay a certain amount while another CAG is not, but both are willing to buy if the price is right.

As a fellow CAG taking game suggestions from other CAGs, I already know the game itself is worth picking up at some point (Buy it, Rent it, Avoid it), but a normal review still leaves me scratching my head as to whether I should buy it right away or wait for the price to drop. On the forums, this is what I'd like advice on, and I feel the review system can do a wonderful job at achieving this in a time efficient manner (displaying overall votes in the Value Evaluation System rather than it's average score on the 1-10 scale).

~HotShotX

#35 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 April 2008 - 08:45 PM

How about a 5-level scale like the following:

Buy It Full ($60)
Buy It Used/Sale ($25-$50)
Buy It Clearance ($9-$20)
Rent It
Avoid It

From my collection, here are some examples on how I would rate my own games in the buy it range and some games I would put in the rental/avoid range:

Buy It Full (COD4, Halo 3, Mass Effect, Oblivion, Lost Odyssey, MLB The Show 08)
Buy It Used/Sale (Eye of Judgement, Stranglehold, Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata, Heavenly Sword, Ratchet and Clank)
Buy It Clearance (Earth Defense Force, Bullet Witch, Elite Beat Agents, The Darkness, Splinter Cell)
Rent It (The Simpsons, Frontlines, TimeShift)
Avoid It (Turning Point, Lair, 90% of the third-party games on the Wii/DS)

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes & Stitcher Radio
42869.png

#36 zerowing

zerowing

makiri ♥

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 April 2008 - 08:51 PM

Buy at release, Rent at release, Buy when on sale/clearance/supercheap, Don't bother

Something along those lines seems to work for CAG in my opinion.

Now this would be helpful because the users would look at the deals thread. They will see a deal with a game. Say Overlord for 19.99. Then they could click the name of the game. A screen pops up and says that 30 CAGs reviewed the game and the CAG Average is $30.50. They would see that this is a good deal. Then if you want you can look over the reviews. This also works for bad games. If Dark Sector was reviewed for a CAG Average of 20.00, people will see this 59.99 is way to high and they will more likely to wait and buy it. You should also show which CAGs own the game.

I also like this.

I would also enjoy reviewing games, should the need arise for any individual reviewers.
Brawl Friend Code: 0860-2941-1088 PAUL

#37 Blackout

Blackout

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 April 2008 - 01:19 AM

A price based score would be perfect and would go along great with the rest of cheap ass gamer.

#38 woxl

woxl

CAG Veteran

• CAG Veteran

Posted 13 April 2008 - 06:15 PM

I'm a fan of a dual rating system. The main rating would be a 3 or 5 scale system as has been suggested (Buy It / Rent it / Burn It ,etc). I also like the price based system and feel it could be a good supplement to the main rating. There are some problems with the pricing system like how long ago a game was released, exchange rates, etc., but it's a fun and unique grading model that fits in well with CAG.

-Bob

#39 Esperado

Esperado

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2008 - 03:55 AM

I really like the A,B,C,D,F scale because it really gets the point across to easily.

#40 rywateska

rywateska

Sorry for partying.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2008 - 04:18 AM

Bring Back The Monopoly Heads For It!

Posted Image

#41 H.Cornerstone

H.Cornerstone

LaserCannonDethSentence

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2008 - 07:27 AM

Seeing how this is CAG, and it's never been done before, I vote for the how much money is a game worth method. Personally, when it comes down to it, reviews are there for you to determine if it's worth spending your hard earned cash on it. And this will let you know how much of that cash you should feel like spending before feeling rip offed.

#42 badger

badger

Posted 14 April 2008 - 08:58 AM

I vote for a 5 star system with, possibly with half stars allowed, with 2.5 or 3 stars being average. From a UI point of view, if you could emulate the netflix system where every game review has a blank 5 stars next to the reviewers score so that logged in users can just click that scale to score the game in a single click, I think you would get very many more scores from users.

#43 SnotRocket

SnotRocket

$20? To much!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2008 - 01:54 PM

The idea I like the most, and it pertains to the site, how much you would pay for the game. I use this scale myself when I tell people how good a game it. Good example, Army of Two, decent game but for $45 I would pick it up, as $60 is just to much for the reply vaule.

I also like the idea of gradeing the game, rental, buy, destroy, .etc. As this helps avoid the trail of every game being between 7-9. Perhaps twist both ideas together? Army of Two is a buy, it's fun and the multiplayer is decent but it's a buy at my recomended vaule of $45.

This may have a flaw of everygame is a buy at a certain price, so maybe two scales? Maybe I like the idea of a price scale to rate a game simply because my friends and myself use it to describe games that we pick up.

banner1.gif
fss_overall.png

#44 SeanNOLA

SeanNOLA

Ohwur? Mybur.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2008 - 02:14 PM

What I don't like about "buy it, rent it, avoid it" is that there are some WONDERFUL rental games. A "rent it" for me doesn't mean the game is worse than a "buy it", its just that the game is concise enough that I can get my fill after 5 days. Like Shenmue; one of my favorite games of all time. I rented it and beat it within 5 days, and after that, there wasn't much to do but wait for Shenmue II. It wasn't a bad game by a long shot, but I didn't need to buy it. Final Fantasy XII, however was not one of my favorite games, but I felt I needed to buy it simply because you get more enjoyment out of the length of a game like that. I personally would have ranked Shenmue higher on some "point scale", but I would have given it a rental based on runtime. The same goes for games like Uncharted or Heavenly Sword.

#45 InuFaye

InuFaye

Posted 15 April 2008 - 02:24 PM

What I don't like about "buy it, rent it, avoid it" is that there are some WONDERFUL rental games. A "rent it" for me doesn't mean the game is worse than a "buy it", its just that the game is concise enough that I can get my fill after 5 days. Like Shenmue; one of my favorite games of all time. I rented it and beat it within 5 days, and after that, there wasn't much to do but wait for Shenmue II. It wasn't a bad game by a long shot, but I didn't need to buy it. Final Fantasy XII, however was not one of my favorite games, but I felt I needed to buy it simply because you get more enjoyment out of the length of a game like that. I personally would have ranked Shenmue higher on some "point scale", but I would have given it a rental based on runtime. The same goes for games like Uncharted or Heavenly Sword.

We would use the rent it for an average on the reviewers expirence.

Not based solely on runtime.

Obviously a 40 hour RPG can't be rented and beaten, but its cheaper to rent a 40 hour RPG that mediocre and find out that you dont like it, then to waste the 50 dollars on it.

#46 mnine

mnine

Posted 16 April 2008 - 01:55 AM

I wrote this blog on the subject a few weeks ago, take from it what you will:

http://ilovesuicide....view-right.html

#47 Quintessence

Quintessence

The Darkness Consumes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2008 - 08:00 AM

There should be separate review marks for the actual game, and then for the price. Scoring it in letter grades is probably best since that is clearest what is actually a mediocre game.

:bouncy: Free Cash and Prizes :bouncy:

Sign-up: PrizeRebel

100% free and quick to earn.

#48 CMorrigu

CMorrigu

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2008 - 12:50 PM

I like something similar to the following scale:
Pre-Order/LE
Full Price Buy
CAG Buy
Rent
Borrow
Don't Bother

I think this sort of thing gives a little more detail without resorting to just numbers. A great game is worth putting money down for now (and perhaps getting the LE/CE), where a game that's great but has some big flaws might be worth picking up for full price after a patch. A CAG buy (always a good idea), means that it's worth buying when it has a discount, where a game that may be extremely short or have a narrow audience might be in the Rent category. Something that is briefly amusing would be worth borrowing from someone, but not actually worth paying money for. Finally, Avoid means the game isn't worth your time at all.

#49 CozmoKhan

CozmoKhan

Go Blackhawks!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2008 - 05:44 PM

One major factor that never seems to be considered is the time/cost factor. How much is someone willing to pay for an hour of play time. If a game costs $60 and you can only get 5-6 hours out of it, is it worth $10/hour? Or if a clearance game can be picked up for $10 and playthrough time is 30 hours, is it worth spending 30 cents an hour for the game?

Zelda:TP is a good example. About 40 hours of time for $50? Sounds like a good play. But, if you don't like that kind of game, you probably wouldn't pick it up at any price.

I recently picked up Magical Starsign (DS) at CC for less than 10 bucks. I spent 30 hours playing through the game. The review scores didn't give it much respect, but the game was fun and getting a huge value for the game is important. I don't want to spend too much money on a game that I won't play much, but if I can get it cheap and try it out, I might consider it.

#50 dyeknom

dyeknom

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2008 - 09:34 PM

So a review system.
1-10
A-F
Five stars
All three have basically the same flaws, but to be fair... they are problems with every review system. You have an issue of grade inflation (via fanbois), catching yourself in the 7-9/3-5 stars area. That idea of assigning a $ amount is an extremely nice idea and sort of avoids that problem.
A games "worth" is not really determined by the actual monetary value of a game, rather what people would be willing to pay (consumer market). If a game drops to 30$ and you get 1000 reviews averaging 40$, then you definitely get the idea the game is definitely worth the deflated price.

One option you could do is have a review over the specific aspects, but avoid giving grades to prevent people from focusing on a 7-10 range. Then have give some suggestion at the end of each section/review, obviously with better/more eloquent gradations.

Buy it
Buy it Used
Wait for Clearance
Rentable
Unrentable Shovelware
Babies died to bring you this crap

Then also put up a poll-style review for users. This will allow people to see if the reviewer and fans see eye-to-eye. Two sources saying "Buy it" rings that it is a great game, two sources putting it between rentable and clearance ringer... would allow people to see that it's okay. Then people will actually look at the review as to why, rather than say "oh! Another 3! Forget that."

The only problem with not offering a numerical value is that it makes the site incapable of using places like metacritic.com that averages scores for people (for the time challenged). Sadly, in today's world most people are simply looking to get information as fast as possible because of time constraints. At any rate, good luck with whatever you guys decide :)

#51 tdog

tdog

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2008 - 10:39 PM

Let's keep it simple like buy, rent or avoid but....you have to add the Cheap Ass Gamer twist to it. How about:

Full Price
On the Cheap
Forget it

My friends and I have discussions like this all the time; "I'd pay full price for that." or "I'd pick that up if it was $20" or "That game sucks".

I like your suggestion of ranking the game based on how CAGs rated it e.g. 80% said "Full Price", 15% said "On the Cheap" & 5% said "Forget it".

The 10 point scale is too detailed and loses it's meaning. I don't like the dollar amount idea because values change over time.

#52 Chacrana

Chacrana

You wa Cock

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 April 2008 - 10:50 PM

I think the best system would be letter grades, along with a suggested price to buy it at. Some people, myself included, don't particularly care what the price of the game is - the important thing is whether it's good or bad. If it's good, I'll buy it at $50 or 60 or whatever it costs. If it's bad, I don't want to see "buy it at $5," I want to see an F because it's qualitatively worthless. The other issue with using prices as a way of rating games is that the significance of the ratings depends on your income. If you're broke as a joke, rating a game as being worth $50 or something could mean that it's like... the most amazing fucking thing out there while the opposite might be true if you use $100 bills for toilet paper.

So basically, I think a letter grade system should be the reviewer's final decision on a game, but there should be a blurb that says "well, it's probably worth this much if you like the genre, but for everyone else, either steal it or don't bother." Or something.

it was probably in there because I'm a flaming homosexual.

#53 GF_Eric

GF_Eric

Posted 17 April 2008 - 11:16 PM

The dollar scale can't work. It is an incredibly shortsighted type of rating that won't hold up in the long term.

All 6/10 games are pretty comparable and are always going to be merely mediocre no matter what the price. That 6/10 score won't change.

But game prices do change. An average game at $60 is still average at $30. A great game at $60 is still a great game at $30. When you have the choice, you buy the great game. And that game you said was only worth $30 when it launched suddenly becomes a "Wait till $20 game" and then it becomes a "Wait till $10 game" because the good/great games are dropping in price right alongside it. It isn't as if only crappy games drop in price and every $30 game is going to be average. Great games drop too.

Games rated 6/10 are generally of comparable quality. Games priced at $30 are absolutely not all of comparable quality.

#54 jkanownik

jkanownik

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2008 - 12:57 AM

I think that value $ / retail price makes the most sense for CAG to use as a review scale. I also think that it should be supplemented by some sort of numerical/grade rental scale. For instance, a game like Army of 2 would probably net a buy score of $30 out of $60 and a rental score of 4/5.

These are the kind of deicisons we make all the time. Dark Sector at $60? No thanks, but is it worth it at $40 on the Amazon Dotd or as a rental? Culdcept Saga for $40, um no. It doesn't really work as a rental. Hmmm.... Amazon Dotd for $26, very tempting... PGR4 for $60 when there are 20 other racing titles for the 360? Not happening. PGR4 for $15 on clearance at Target? I'm thinking really hard about it.

You'll end up with a large number of games getting similar scores, but I think that is fine. Who the Fuck cares if CoD 4 is better than Halo3 or Orange Box? It also solves the problem of the mediocre scores. Crappy games are going to get values in the $0-$10 range out of a normal retail of $50-$60 in most cases. There are going to be a TON of games that get scores below 50% if you try to convert the scale to a number ranking.
Posted Image

AC: 4682-1344-1734 (Leenie - Home)

#55 Chacrana

Chacrana

You wa Cock

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2008 - 01:08 AM

Who the Fuck cares if CoD 4 is better than Halo3 or Orange Box?

Errr.... people trying to make a decision?

it was probably in there because I'm a flaming homosexual.

#56 Azumangaman

Azumangaman

Posted 18 April 2008 - 01:11 AM

Letter Grades are everyones best friend!
If not that, a 1-10 scale is perfect.

#57 4nik8tor

4nik8tor

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2008 - 01:50 PM

since when did CaGcast give games a rating anyhow?
seems like you're putting too much thought into this.

#58 jkanownik

jkanownik

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2008 - 06:10 PM

Errr.... people trying to make a decision?

The distinction between those three games is entirely subjective, so using a review score to differentiate the three is retarded. They all achieve the highest level of quality that you can expect from a console title and anyone interested in the game is not going to be disappointed paying full price. If you can only afford to get one of the titles and you are using a review to pick one to purchase, your decision should be based on the content contained within the full review, not the score.
Posted Image

AC: 4682-1344-1734 (Leenie - Home)

#59 Zerostatic

Zerostatic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2008 - 11:48 PM

I like Letter Grades. A, B, C, D, F. +'s and -'s can be allowed but should be used sparingly.

#60 Zerostatic

Zerostatic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 April 2008 - 11:52 PM

I don't like the buy, rent, pass system because most games classification will differ on the type of gamer you are. For example if you like horror games or slow-paced atmospheric FPS's and also don't place a high value on multiplayer then Condemned 2 is a buy but if you are one of those Halo 3/Call of Duty 4/Team Fortress nut who loves online fragfest then Condemned 2 is a rent.