Africa has been finally tapped and catching flak

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 naiku

naiku

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2008 - 06:57 AM

Alright so recently I have been flying through easy achievements and instead of listening to terrible football announcers or sound effects; I started listening to the older cagcasts. I am new to cag(dec07) so might as well catch up on my favorite podcast.

On Episode #63 A Dish Best Served Cold, Wombat mentions how Africa is an untapped video game locale. In recent news Resident Evil 5 has been getting a lot of flak about using Africa as its prime location for its next zombie slaughtering title.

Clip: http://home.comcast....-africaclip.mp3
Article: http://kotaku.com/37...ed-on-this-game

N'Gai didn't like the imagery of the trailer saying, "It’s like they’re all dangerous; they all need to be killed. It’s not even like one cute African — or Haitian or Caribbean — child could be saved." I agree they all looked evil but to me I never seen anyone cute in a Resident Evil game outside of the sidekick characters.

So Wombat do you still think it was worth setting this title in Africa? I am a resident evil fan so I dont see anything wrong. Zombies need to die. But its obvious that this game is going to draw controversy. This game almost seems ready for FoxNews. <.<

edit: dunno how well my crappy comcast link will hold up.

....I should have just listened to the next cagcast(64) they talk about this already and like 1.5 years ago. mod can delete. =X
Posted Image

#2 carpwrist

carpwrist

Übercharge Ready!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2008 - 02:39 PM

From a very objectivist point of view, I think both Capcom and Wombat are right. The Resident Evil series represents fear, it's supposed to be an interactive ride of suspense. Putting the protagonist in a country like Africa triggers many of those emotions. The media and news portray Africa as a politically unstable, AIDS-infested, unbearably hot hellhole. The trailer captured alot of those horrors.

While I do think they could have been more sensitive on the topic, I can't imagine them setting a more realistically frightening setting for your average 200lb white guy to play in.
Saying you're really good at Borderlands is the equivalent to saying you suck at videogames.

That puts a genuine closed parenthesis at the end of my colon. :)

Posted Image