Super Mario 64 - Best Game Ever?

Unickuta

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
I plugged in my N64, started a new game of Mario 64, and now I'm hooked on the game again. My 360 and PS3 are collecting dust...

Anyone else agree? I actually think it's tied with Ocarina of Time. :D

[quote name='crystalklear64']Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon was better.[/quote]

I actually played that game...I didn't know anyone else (outside of Japan) had either. :whee:

[quote name='crystalklear64']Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon was better.[/quote]

Wow of all games to say; loved that game too. Never really got into Super Mario 64 so I think I could say its not the best of all time.

I agree. Mario 64 is definitely one of the greatest games of all time. The jump in technology between Mario World/Yoshi's Island was so huge and Mario 64 was so polished for its time. The graphics were great. Most importantly, the control was perfect. Yes, by today's standards, the graphics leave something to be desired, but it's still one of my favorites. I remember playing it for the first time. I just couldn't believe how awesome it was to play Mario in 3D.

By the way, Legend of the Mystical Ninja was a sweet game. I have a lot of good memories from playing that one. However, I wouldn't put it in my top games list. I'm sorry that I traded it in at some point in time and no longer have it...

Ocarina of Time is definitely on my top games list along with Castlevania: SOTN, Ghouls 'n' Ghosts and Oblivion.

[quote name='Unickuta']I plugged in my N64, started a new game of Mario 64, and now I'm hooked on the game again. My 360 and PS3 are collecting dust...

Anyone else agree? I actually think it's tied with Ocarina of Time. :D[/QUOTE]

Ive had this happen too. I think its just nostalgia. I do this every few years, and I get to like 60 - 80 stars in a matter of what seems like hours. I just stop after that because I feel its sad that I can run through most of the levels in a minutes.

I was never a big fan of Mario 64, I guess I just don't see what everyone else does. I prefer the side scrollers. But the 2 Zelda games released for the 64 were gold.

It's a very good 3D game, but I greatly prefer the 2D Mario games. SM64 doesn't hold a candle to Super Mario World and Yoshi's Island, or even to New Super Mario Bros. Well, actually I prefer all 2D games to all 3D games, pretty much. 3D on what is in fact a 2D screen doesn't entirely work. You fight the perspective and "camera" as much as you play the game. It's fun for a while, and then it gets annoying. Super Mario 64 is no different.

I'm not even gonna say it's the best game on the system. I'd give that to Goldeneye or Ocarina of Time. Mario 64 was very very good at the time but I don't think it held up too well.

it's a landmark game and i'd say it's one of the most significant games of all time. but greatest game? hardly. call me what you will, but i can't play it for more than 20 minutes without getting bored. it was amazing for its time, but in the present i'd say it's obsolete.

[quote name='Unickuta']I actually played that game...I didn't know anyone else (outside of Japan) had either. :whee:[/quote]

family video by my house used to get imports for rent. so ive played the Japanese version. it was pretty hard considering i was only like in 8th grade and it was in a language i didnt understand at all.

Super Mario 64 is an amazing game, my only problem was the camera got a little wonky every once in a while. Other than that, it's great. I believe it was the first game that Game Player magazine gave a full 10/10, which at the time blew my mind.

Not even close, but it set the 3d platform/adventure standard.

I must say that I HATE the "repeat the same level 7 times instead of having 7 different levels" tradition it started. Even great games like Jak 2 and 3 fall on this crutch. Ratchet and Clank kept repetition to a minimum and is all the more satisfying because of it.

The N64 really has no better platformer, it's kind of a shame that nothing on that system surpassed it. Banjo Kazooie had an awful aesthetic and really boring level design, despite being kind of fun and technically impressive.

I completely agree with you, OP. As far as I'm concerned, Mario 64 is still the best 3D platformer ever made, and to this day remains my favorite game of all time. It's so much fun going back to all those fantastically-designed levels and seeing what sort of crazy stuff I can pull off - no other video game I've ever played has had this kind of lasting novelty.

No well to be honest I can see the game for what it is. Mario running around in a 3d world that is sappose to be the Mushroom Worlds Palace of Princess Peach but after awhile I look at the detail I say man I made my mom waste $50 when I could have brought it for less then 2.99 and used that fifi for a more playable game.

Sonic R is a way better game then this. I mean throwing Bowser around all day is so boring once you pretty much disected the world of these series as with any other. I am kinda high on Magical Girl and Strategic games right now and compared to mario is way more fun even on a representive level.

Super Mario RPG is way more fun then this game and even watching Mario episodes is way more fun then seeing only Mario. In fact Mario Party has to be way more funner then this game.

What is one thing is this game that is truly fun???

To be honest I just lied to myself. Hell ya doing back flips in Koopa Castle and stomping on Giant Goombas along with fighting Paranha Plants with Attitudes and riding magical carpets is quite fun.

:bouncy:Praise representive 3d:bouncy:

For some reason I dont care for 3D Mario games, I would much rather play Super Mario World than Mario 64.

On the other hand, I cant play a 2D Zelda game now after playing them in 3D.

Strange

I wasn't a fan of Mario 64 either. The move to 3D took away a lot of the twitch gameplay that I like in 2D platformers.

SMB 3 / World / Land 2 are far more enjoyable for me.

For that matter, I can't really stand Ocarina of Time, but I loved Link to the Past.

Super Mario Bros. 3 had good ideas but I can never consider it a best ever. It relied way too much on auto-scrolling levels to increase the difficulty. That's an absolute crutch.

I will give it its props though. It's basically the foundation for SMW which is probably my vote for best 2D platformer ever.

[quote name='davo1224']Super Mario Bros. 3 had good ideas but I can never consider it a best ever. It relied way too much on auto-scrolling levels to increase the difficulty. That's an absolute crutch.

I will give it its props though. It's basically the foundation for SMW which is probably my vote for best 2D platformer ever.[/quote]

What is autoscrolling? Is that when the stage moves by itself or is that when you can't go back in the opposite direction to a certain extent?

I felt Super Mario World felt a bit scattered. I could tell they wanted to make the series a bit more open ended, but I think at the end of the day it just made the game too easy. It just didn't have that nonstop action packed feeling that 1 and 3 had, at least not until the end of the game.

It was a pretty great game, but I wouldn't say it was the best. Definitely a top 10 game, though. On the other hand, Super Mario RPG, is a whole completely different ballgame.

Now, please excuse me while I go play it on my projector :D

The stage moves by itself. That means that now stages that were easy as pie are now hard ONLY because you're being forcefully pushed along. It's lazy and reeks of the developers not being able to think of better ways to design the levels.

[quote name='davo1224']The stage moves by itself. That means that now stages that were easy as pie are now hard ONLY because you're being forcefully pushed along. It's lazy and reeks of the developers not being able to think of better ways to design the levels.[/quote]

Eh, you may be right, some of the stages are made harder by that mechanic. BUT even if it could just be lazy on their part, it still made for some fun challenges. And ultimately I only care about that part, fun. It's not like they overused it either. When it was used, in the battleship levels for example, to me it felt it really added to to the experience of getting close to the boss.

Perhaps World would've been better if it used that mechanic a bit more because there were a bit too many instances of non-action.

[quote name='leveskikesko']It's not like they overused it either. [/quote]
EVERY battleship used it and usually one per world did. There's 7 regular levels IIRC so that's 14. That's not taking into account the battleship-crazy 8th level.

Less time adding funny suits that ultimately mean diddle to the gameplay and more time adding variety to the levels.

The same can just about be said for SMW and SMW2 too though. SMW2 was especially repetitive. It's a magical experience but there's like 5 sound effects total for a 48 level game.

Stiil, I'll take fun and a little boring over annoying. I just remember really hating a replay of SMB3 simply because of how much I would be unsuspectingly shoved into a ditch, enemy, or a space between a wall and the edge of the screen.

There is no "perfect game" only opinion. But on topic, i have two favorites (the first zelda NES) and (street fighter ii turbo SNES) I've been enjoying these games for a long time and still do. Great games.

There is no "perfect game" only opinion
hjjjit2.jpg

Really O. M. Gsh!!!!!!111!

maybe ocarina of time was slightly better to some but Super Mario 64 was an amazing game and it definitely has stood the test of time, you wanna see an amazing game the crumbled into a thousand pieces after a few years, check out Goldeneye. i went back to that bad boy because of all my great memories and i almost cried. i should have left those memories in the past.

[quote name='Gumby the Green']maybe ocarina of time was slightly better to some but Super Mario 64 was an amazing game and it definitely has stood the test of time, you wanna see an amazing game the crumbled into a thousand pieces after a few years, check out Goldeneye. i went back to that bad boy because of all my great memories and i almost cried. i should have left those memories in the past.[/quote]

Yeah, Goldeneye is ready for a next gen upgrade. I'd love to play on Live.

Golden Eye was outclassed by Perfect Dark and duh was already ported. The thing that killed Golden Eye was the while the 3d was really really nice it was so raw. I mean come on Bond why do you gotta keep fighting of reloading and regenerating enemies. I get so tired of having to shoot and then find out the enemy I just shoot regenerated ten seconds ago. Then I find I am shooting air sometimes.

One of the things that Super Mario 64 did right was to fit the capabilities of the hardware. Namely the fact that it doesn't use textures - as a result the game still looks good to this day. Ocarina of Time is a great game, yes (I'm playing it now for the first time), but the graphics are a bit hard to take at times (sometimes it's fine, others times they're pretty painful to look at.) If more games had gone with shading instead of textures, more of the games would have held up today IMHO. They should have left textures until the PS2/Gamecube/Xbox generation.

[quote name='crunchewy']One of the things that Super Mario 64 did right was to fit the capabilities of the hardware.

No it was the first game that was on the N64 and thus was going too look fabulous eitherway. Mario 64 could have been on the Saturn, PSX, and even the SNES.
Namely the fact that it doesn't use textures
Mario 64 has textures in the game it is just that you do not notice it. Either way of any graphical tricks it did use many. Stop blerting out things just the fact a couple of years passed by and people who have not played Mario 64 will be saying the same exact thing you have said. All 3d games on the N64, Saturn, and even PSX use this graphical trick that is common in most 3d games even from the SNEs days.

Ocarina of Time is a great game but the graphics are a bit hard to take at times sometimes it's fine, others times they're pretty painful to look at.
I am not even going to go into but what you are saying is wrong and makes no sense. Zelda:OOT used the Starfox engine period. The game itself was at a higher resolution that used representive 3d objects rather then built up 3d opjects. Either way the game was spectacular had baeutiful graphics. All 3d games do the same thing even resident Evil. It is used to produce good looking graphics without having to make the system do so much work and yes this is part of pre-rendering and while the game uses alot of blurring for th emost part the game is wonderfull to look at just not too close at times where you can see things jump off peoples faces. These effects and more is constantly used in 3d games even on the Saturn, PSX, and SNES in substitute for highly effect graphics like the ones pre-rendered on the SNES and Genesis

more of the games would have held up today
Like what? There is many effects and graphical tricks that was used in many games. Name some titles. Even so people play the games for fun regaurdless of graphics.

They should have left textures until the PS2/Gamecube/Xbox generation.
Get the fuck off my planet.

There is nothing after that guy just the fact your system could not play MMORPG does not mean we all should forget about ever system before that.

Where is the Dreamcast in all this?

[quote name='Unickuta']I plugged in my N64, started a new game of Mario 64, and now I'm hooked on the game again. My 360 and PS3 are collecting dust...

Anyone else agree? I actually think it's tied with Ocarina of Time. :D[/quote]

Sorry bud, I have to whole heartedly disagree with you, Super Mario 64 was definitely innovative when it came out because of its 3D elements. Nothing in the platform goodness was ever attempted in 3D and not to mention the sound it was just amazing. and then...

Zelda Ocarina of time came out in 98, I still have my original copy and in perfect condition. It took 3D to a whole new level I mean the bosses are huge the musical score is sensational, the puzzle solving intricate and the character explored a 3D world and grew up in it, what else can you ask for.

Well horse riding of course...loved it and loved the archer capabilities. Put simply you can't even say mario 64 is better than Zelda cause there is no comparison.

[quote name='depascal22']Nothing gets your point across more clearly than misspelled words and bad grammar.[/quote]

Hope this wasn't directed at me :D

[quote name='Redie']There is nothing after that guy just the fact your system could not play MMORPG does not mean we all should forget about ever system before that.[/QUOTE]

I'd love to know where you got MMORPGs from - I don't think anyone else has mentioned them in this topic. :whistle2:s

Of course, you're also the guy who said Sonic R is a better game than Mario 64, and I'm positive you've got to be the ONLY person on the planet with that opinion.

[quote name='Hostile']Not at all... at least in my opinion. I bought it for the Virtual Console and it doesn't hold up for me.[/QUOTE]

A few other people have said this, and I'd love an explanation of why. It's apparently held up well for most everyone else, judging from the Virtual Console and DS port sales.

bread's done
Back