Super Mario 64 - Best Game Ever?

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#31 shinobi2k

shinobi2k

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 May 2008 - 09:42 PM

There is no "perfect game" only opinion. But on topic, i have two favorites (the first zelda NES) and (street fighter ii turbo SNES) I've been enjoying these games for a long time and still do. Great games.

#32 Redie

Redie

Posted 10 May 2008 - 01:37 AM

There is no "perfect game" only opinion

Posted Image

Really O. M. Gsh!!!!!!111!

#33 NTolerance

NTolerance

Vich one of you is crying

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2008 - 03:41 AM

It's a good game, but I hold contempt for it due to it starting the whole 3D platformer era. Camera management software FTL.

#34 coolsteel

coolsteel

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2008 - 05:40 AM

Hell no it wasn't the best over, that would be Tetris

#35 Rodimus

Rodimus

I'm Different

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2008 - 07:48 AM

I still love this game but it's not the best gamer ever. That title belongs to Mega Man 2.

#36 Friend of Sonic

Friend of Sonic

Toneman.org coming soon..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2008 - 10:46 AM

Posted Image

Really O. M. Gsh!!!!!!111!

That's a really random collage.
You hurt the right person and you're wrong for life.

#37 Gumby the Green

Gumby the Green

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 May 2008 - 05:09 PM

maybe ocarina of time was slightly better to some but Super Mario 64 was an amazing game and it definitely has stood the test of time, you wanna see an amazing game the crumbled into a thousand pieces after a few years, check out Goldeneye. i went back to that bad boy because of all my great memories and i almost cried. i should have left those memories in the past.

#38 depascal22

depascal22

Daddy Fat Sacks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 May 2008 - 05:11 PM

maybe ocarina of time was slightly better to some but Super Mario 64 was an amazing game and it definitely has stood the test of time, you wanna see an amazing game the crumbled into a thousand pieces after a few years, check out Goldeneye. i went back to that bad boy because of all my great memories and i almost cried. i should have left those memories in the past.

Yeah, Goldeneye is ready for a next gen upgrade. I'd love to play on Live.

#39 Redie

Redie

Posted 11 May 2008 - 08:31 PM

Golden Eye was outclassed by Perfect Dark and duh was already ported. The thing that killed Golden Eye was the while the 3d was really really nice it was so raw. I mean come on Bond why do you gotta keep fighting of reloading and regenerating enemies. I get so tired of having to shoot and then find out the enemy I just shoot regenerated ten seconds ago. Then I find I am shooting air sometimes.

#40 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 12 May 2008 - 11:50 AM

One of the things that Super Mario 64 did right was to fit the capabilities of the hardware. Namely the fact that it doesn't use textures - as a result the game still looks good to this day. Ocarina of Time is a great game, yes (I'm playing it now for the first time), but the graphics are a bit hard to take at times (sometimes it's fine, others times they're pretty painful to look at.) If more games had gone with shading instead of textures, more of the games would have held up today IMHO. They should have left textures until the PS2/Gamecube/Xbox generation.

#41 Redie

Redie

Posted 12 May 2008 - 02:28 PM

[quote name='crunchewy']One of the things that Super Mario 64 did right was to fit the capabilities of the hardware.

[quote]
No it was the first game that was on the N64 and thus was going too look fabulous eitherway. Mario 64 could have been on the Saturn, PSX, and even the SNES.[/quote][quote]
Namely the fact that it doesn't use textures [/quote]Mario 64 has textures in the game it is just that you do not notice it. Either way of any graphical tricks it did use many. Stop blerting out things just the fact a couple of years passed by and people who have not played Mario 64 will be saying the same exact thing you have said. All 3d games on the N64, Saturn, and even PSX use this graphical trick that is common in most 3d games even from the SNEs days.

[quote]Ocarina of Time is a great game but the graphics are a bit hard to take at times sometimes it's fine, others times they're pretty painful to look at.
[/quote]I am not even going to go into but what you are saying is wrong and makes no sense. Zelda:OOT used the Starfox engine period. The game itself was at a higher resolution that used representive 3d objects rather then built up 3d opjects. Either way the game was spectacular had baeutiful graphics. All 3d games do the same thing even resident Evil. It is used to produce good looking graphics without having to make the system do so much work and yes this is part of pre-rendering and while the game uses alot of blurring for th emost part the game is wonderfull to look at just not too close at times where you can see things jump off peoples faces. These effects and more is constantly used in 3d games even on the Saturn, PSX, and SNES in substitute for highly effect graphics like the ones pre-rendered on the SNES and Genesis

[quote]more of the games would have held up today[/quote]Like what? There is many effects and graphical tricks that was used in many games. Name some titles. Even so people play the games for fun regaurdless of graphics.

[quote]
They should have left textures until the PS2/Gamecube/Xbox generation. [/quote]Get the Fuck off my planet.

[quote]
They should have left textures until the PS2/Gamecube/Xbox generation. [/quote]There is nothing after that guy just the fact your system could not play MMORPG does not mean we all should forget about ever system before that.

[QUOTE]
They should have left textures until the PS2/Gamecube/Xbox generation. [/QUOTE]

Get the Fuck off my planet.

[quote]
They should have left textures until the PS2/Gamecube/Xbox generation. [/quote]Where is the Dreamcast in all this?

[quote]
They should have left textures until the PS2/Gamecube/Xbox generation. [/quote]Get the Fuck off my planet.

#42 davo1224

davo1224

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2008 - 03:18 PM

Nothing says technical term like graphical trick.

#43 depascal22

depascal22

Daddy Fat Sacks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2008 - 03:23 PM

Nothing gets your point across more clearly than misspelled words and bad grammar.

#44 Pocketgamer

Pocketgamer

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2008 - 05:50 PM

I plugged in my N64, started a new game of Mario 64, and now I'm hooked on the game again. My 360 and PS3 are collecting dust...

Anyone else agree? I actually think it's tied with Ocarina of Time. :D

Sorry bud, I have to whole heartedly disagree with you, Super Mario 64 was definitely innovative when it came out because of its 3D elements. Nothing in the platform goodness was ever attempted in 3D and not to mention the sound it was just amazing. and then...

Zelda Ocarina of time came out in 98, I still have my original copy and in perfect condition. It took 3D to a whole new level I mean the bosses are huge the musical score is sensational, the puzzle solving intricate and the character explored a 3D world and grew up in it, what else can you ask for.

Well horse riding of course...loved it and loved the archer capabilities. Put simply you can't even say mario 64 is better than Zelda cause there is no comparison.

#45 davo1224

davo1224

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 May 2008 - 08:45 PM

Nothing gets your point across more clearly than misspelled words and bad grammar.

Hope this wasn't directed at me :D

#46 yeldarbthetitan

yeldarbthetitan

CAG Veteran

• CAG Veteran

Posted 16 May 2008 - 12:01 AM

i strongly disagree, the best game by far is Super Metroid

#47 Gothic Walrus

Gothic Walrus

Goo Goo G'Joob.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 May 2008 - 12:36 AM

There is nothing after that guy just the fact your system could not play MMORPG does not mean we all should forget about ever system before that.

I'd love to know where you got MMORPGs from - I don't think anyone else has mentioned them in this topic. :-s

Of course, you're also the guy who said Sonic R is a better game than Mario 64, and I'm positive you've got to be the ONLY person on the planet with that opinion.

Not at all... at least in my opinion. I bought it for the Virtual Console and it doesn't hold up for me.

A few other people have said this, and I'd love an explanation of why. It's apparently held up well for most everyone else, judging from the Virtual Console and DS port sales.

ah, a voice of logic in the form of a walrus

#48 b3b0p

b3b0p

Where's r0ckst34dy?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 May 2008 - 02:03 AM

Super Mario 64 World - Best Game Ever?!

This.

#49 keiblerfan69

keiblerfan69

Chevy Born & Raised

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 May 2008 - 12:43 AM

I actually played that game...I didn't know anyone else (outside of Japan) had either. :whee:

I loved that game to death when I was younger.

Posted Image
Posted Image
HAF 932 Full Tower | Q9400 OC to 3.4 ghz
4GB Corsair XMS 2 | XFX 260 896mb
Western Digital Black 640GB | 2TB Western Digital Green
Corsair 650TX 650W | Windows 7 64-Bit | ASUS 22.5" Monitor

#50 NTolerance

NTolerance

Vich one of you is crying

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 May 2008 - 03:21 AM

i strongly disagree, the best game by far is Super Metroid

I'm OK with this.

#51 Poor2More

Poor2More

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 May 2008 - 03:34 AM

Best game? Nope

Best Mario Game? Nope that belongs to Mario Bros 3 on NES

Best game on N64? Nope that goes to Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Best Game of that Generation? Nope that goes to Final Fantasy 7

Best game staring Mario besides Mario Bros 3? Nope the winner is Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars

Best game that has the number six in it? Nope that's Final Fantasy 6 (3 in the US)

Best game with the number four in it? Nope that hands down goes to Call of Duty 4

Nope, my guest its not the best game of all time, not even close :)
Posted Image

#52 davo1224

davo1224

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 May 2008 - 07:48 PM

No way that any of the Metroid games outclass Mario. They're solid games but they're largely known as snoozefests.

#53 eliter1

eliter1

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 May 2008 - 07:53 PM

I actually like Super Mario Bros 3 and Super Mario World better than Super Mario 64. Galaxy is really enjoyable too.
Posted Image

#54 Deefuzz

Deefuzz

Comfortably Numb

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 May 2008 - 09:21 PM

No, Super Mario 64 was way over rated.

As stated earlier, it's not even the best Mario game or the best on the N64, or the best during that era.

Never understood all the hype and praise for that title.

#55 riccaboni

riccaboni

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 May 2008 - 05:34 AM

For me, it's a complete toss up between Mario for SNES and Mario 64. When my bro got SNES Mario, we didn't stop playing that thing for nearly two years. When I got Mario 64, same thing happened. I can't really argue with the addiction and innovation found in each game.

#56 urzishra14

urzishra14

Who are you? I'm Batman.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 May 2008 - 07:05 AM

For some reason I dont care for 3D Mario games, I would much rather play Super Mario World than Mario 64.

On the other hand, I cant play a 2D Zelda game now after playing them in 3D.

Strange

Ironically I'm the exact opposite.. well when it comes to Zelda.. IMO.. Link to the Past is the benchmark for the series.. everything after it has either been a rehash (ocarina of time) or completly friggen bizarre (minich cap).. anyways

I love Super Mario 3 and Super Mario World.. IMO those two games are the piniancle of the Mario Series..

I was way late to the Mario 64 party .. so i can't judge it back in 96..

however.. Super Mario RPG is probably one of the best RPGs ever made.. its a shame that it doesn't have a spiritual sequel or at least a remake.. Paper Mario does not count.. it totally took the "mario RPG" in a different .. weirder direction.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#57 cps2's-appleidog

cps2's-appleidog

Posted 02 June 2008 - 05:51 PM

Mario 64 is the best game ever made, the game is perfect in everway. the only real reason to get a wii is for the n64 games.
Posted ImageLooking For this marquee

#58 psxboy500

psxboy500

Posted 08 June 2008 - 02:57 AM

I've always liked Mario 64 better than Mario Galaxy.

#59 TheEyecon

TheEyecon

Red Sox Pride!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 July 2008 - 03:06 AM

Not the best game of all time, but definately one of the best games.
Posted Image

#60 Frostbittenwolf

Frostbittenwolf

Posted 11 July 2008 - 09:39 PM

it was a good game but i dot think it was that good.