• Please log in to reply
264 replies to this topic

#241 Lockescythe

Lockescythe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2008 - 08:31 PM

trades only.

Since to Trade in you need to give your health card number.

returns not at all. But you do have to sign when you return something.

Preorders somewhat they file it with your phone no on their comp. But if you preordered at 2 different stores it wouldn't matter. I don't think you can preorder the same game twice at one store.

#242 SamuraiSmurfette

SamuraiSmurfette

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 April 2008 - 10:09 PM

As long as you don't make yourself known as "That guy who always returns stuff" you'll probably be fine. Just don't abuse the system, and there'll be no reason for you to need to be tracked. That being said, they do try to stop people who are outright scamming. I've heard things from conference calls in the past. "John Doe has been doing these types of things in stores in this area...he has been told not to shop with us anymore" That sort of thing.

Getting back on topic: grabbed Crush for PSP for $9.89 today :)

/wave @ Fanboy

#243 Ranzo

Ranzo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2008 - 01:48 AM

50 first dates, xxx, underworld and rocky all on blu ray are 4.98.
also tokobot super somthing... for the ps2 and wwe 08 I think.

#244 poiuiu

poiuiu

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2008 - 02:20 AM

I'd buy Rocky Bluray for 5 bucks.

#245 jonkaho

jonkaho

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2008 - 04:16 AM

50 first dates, xxx, underworld and rocky all on blu ray are 4.98.
also tokobot super somthing... for the ps2 and wwe 08 I think.

are these brand new or preowned?

#246 neo.dorsia

neo.dorsia

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2008 - 04:42 AM

Ok, having run an EB games for 6+ years, I can explain what's going on here. Basically, these titles are overstock. Games that will take over a year to sell through at their current inventory. For example: EB games canada has 1200 copies of "Sonic" in stock for the whole chain. Sonic is selling, on average, at a rate of 2 copies per day for the chain. And let's say there's 300 stores in the chain. So at that rate, it will take EB Games 600 days to sell through Sonic. So what happens now, is that they drop the price dramatically in hopes to clear off stock, making room for newer/better moving inventory (there's a budget on this, like anything else). So what this means is, they need to sell enough copies of sonic so that they only have 730 copies of sonic in stock (2 a day, you still following?) So once EB games sells through 470 copies (just more than 1 per store, in reality) the price returns to regular retail as they no longer need to push that particular product. And usually, that doesn't take more than a day or two.

Kind of a long explanation, but that's the jist of it!

That's pretty much how all retail markdowns work (a large part of my job is doing stuff almost exactly like this). Interesting that the stock only lasts a day or so though- I'll have to act faster in the future!

#247 CHW

CHW

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2008 - 06:08 AM

Ok, having run an EB games for 6+ years, I can explain what's going on here. Basically, these titles are overstock. Games that will take over a year to sell through at their current inventory. For example: EB games canada has 1200 copies of "Sonic" in stock for the whole chain. Sonic is selling, on average, at a rate of 2 copies per day for the chain. And let's say there's 300 stores in the chain. So at that rate, it will take EB Games 600 days to sell through Sonic. So what happens now, is that they drop the price dramatically in hopes to clear off stock, making room for newer/better moving inventory (there's a budget on this, like anything else). So what this means is, they need to sell enough copies of sonic so that they only have 730 copies of sonic in stock (2 a day, you still following?) So once EB games sells through 470 copies (just more than 1 per store, in reality) the price returns to regular retail as they no longer need to push that particular product. And usually, that doesn't take more than a day or two.

Kind of a long explanation, but that's the jist of it!

Very interesting; thanks for the inside scoop! But I'm wondering, since these are "New" games being marked down, what happens to the profits passed on to the publisher?

How does the publisher make money from game sales, anyways? Does it get a percentage of every item sold, or does it get a lump sum every time EB orders a batch of items from them?

#248 SamuraiSmurfette

SamuraiSmurfette

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2008 - 12:27 PM

Games are not consignment. They are purchased up front at a pre-determined cost from the publisher. If it's a publisher-initiated markdown (ie, a game goes to greatest hits) EB gets price protection from the vendor. If its a EB-initiated inventory clear-out, then they're losing that money. Which explains again why the markdowns don't last more than a day or two ;)

This is why EB (and other stores) push pre-orders so much...so they can judge how many they'll need to buy. It's a tough job those buyers have sometimes.

#249 CHW

CHW

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2008 - 02:06 PM

Games are not consignment. They are purchased up front at a pre-determined cost from the publisher. If it's a publisher-initiated markdown (ie, a game goes to greatest hits) EB gets price protection from the vendor. If its a EB-initiated inventory clear-out, then they're losing that money. Which explains again why the markdowns don't last more than a day or two ;)

This is why EB (and other stores) push pre-orders so much...so they can judge how many they'll need to buy. It's a tough job those buyers have sometimes.

Damn. I guess all the bargain hunting we do here at CAG really doesn't help support the gaming industry, does it?

#250 JnJosh

JnJosh

Baby come back!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2008 - 06:29 PM

i dont think eb will ever have a problem making money. 95% of the time you pre-order a game, you're going to get it on release day, the money you put down is interest and it keeps adding and adding up.

its good to see that we get deals like this to save our wallet every once in a while :)

ps. those blu-rays still on i'd bite for a couple, rocky maybe underworld

#251 Lone_Prodigy

Lone_Prodigy

Posted 30 April 2008 - 06:29 PM

According to RFD:

Lost Planet
Prey
Superman Returns

Wii
Harvey Birdman

PS3
Fantastic 4

#252 will123456

will123456

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2008 - 07:01 PM

Managed to pick up XXX for 5 bucks. The clerk actually told me that Rocky and Underworld were also on special but that the employees had bought them all. Too bad I guess.
Anyways thanks for the head's up.

#253 Firestorm

Firestorm

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2008 - 07:08 PM

According to RFD:

Lost Planet
Prey
Superman Returns

Wii
Harvey Birdman

PS3
Fantastic 4

I got all excited thinking it was Lost Odyssey and it's Lost Planet
:(

#254 CHW

CHW

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2008 - 07:09 PM

i dont think eb will ever have a problem making money. 95% of the time you pre-order a game, you're going to get it on release day, the money you put down is interest and it keeps adding and adding up.

Well, I'm less interested in supporting EB than I am interested in supporting -- for example -- Clover Studios, when I buy one of their games at $14.99 a year and a half after release =P

#255 RCCP1977

RCCP1977

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2008 - 07:18 PM

i called 2 different eb, about lost planet, they told me is not on sale, new or used

#256 Princess Zelda

Princess Zelda

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2008 - 09:46 PM

There's a new version of Lost planet coming out soon with added content that won't be available through download. It's called Lost Planet Extreme Condition: Colonies Edition the release date is May 27.

#257 shifty_37

shifty_37

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2008 - 12:08 AM

Thanks for the bluray tip, underworld was $1.98.

#258 Cthulhu8u

Cthulhu8u

That Innsmouth look

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2008 - 12:15 AM

Damn. I guess all the bargain hunting we do here at CAG really doesn't help support the gaming industry, does it?

I guess that depends. If you are enticed to go to EB to buy a clearance item, you may feel compelled to browse around and purchase something that they make more of a profit from. So those items work as Loss Leaders to get you into the store in the first place.
Also, clearing shelf space helps get newer items on the shelves to replace the stuff that takes up room and isn't selling well. You can see it as doing them a favor to help them sell more. 8-)

Posted Image

#259 JnJosh

JnJosh

Baby come back!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 May 2008 - 08:55 PM

Saw the price adj. sheet for today, only real notable was guild wars Eye of the north for 9.xx nothing else really seemed to go down, few titles going back up but was told to expect drops tomorrow or monday, maybe if no one has given a call by around noon i will.

also go xxx for 4.89 even though it was priced back up, sticker was still on it :) good eb employee!

#260 TheClair

TheClair

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 May 2008 - 11:42 PM

I got Smackdown vs Raw 2006, Tokobot Plus and The Darkest Faerie for PS2 each for $5.

#261 arnoldrimmer

arnoldrimmer

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 May 2008 - 03:24 PM

Anyone know if there are any new drops?
Thanks
Posted Image
Posted Image

#262 eswat

eswat

Kill many bear

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 May 2008 - 04:26 PM

Only game on the shelf was Guild Wars: Eye of the North for $10.

#263 turgore2008

turgore2008

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 May 2008 - 09:12 PM

umm...I checked EB yesterday and they had the same inflated prices as always.

#264 jonkaho

jonkaho

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 May 2008 - 09:17 PM

hope there will be some more price drops on bluray movies soon!

#265 thelostdude

thelostdude

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 May 2008 - 01:09 AM

hope there will be some more price drops on bluray movies soon!

Don't get your hopes too high 8-)
Posted Image
Start Playing Poker Money with FREE MONEY!!