CAGcast #116: Blown Off

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
Better late than later, our delayed show features Wombat getting the brush off at NY Comic Con, CheapyD buying Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, and the usual riveting discussion of
the latest video game industry news. Join us later this week for a live wrap-up show! Details to follow.

Win a Special Edition GTA IV Xbox 360 Elite Bundle!

[media]http://media.libsyn.com/media/cheapyd/cagcast116.mp3[/media]Download - 83 minutes, 38MB
[digg]http://digg.com/podcasts/CAGcast[/digg]
Past CAGcasts

Show Linkage/Notes (click the button below to expand):

By popular request, bjwoodruff's CAGs On News Theme Song
[media]http://www.cheapassgamer.com/podcast/cagsonews.mp3[/media]

The "CAGcast" AND Lost return in the same week! Oh my God, this cannot be coincidence! CheapyD and Wombat are my "constants"!!

(End semi-mock hysteria, begin actually looking forward to shows.)

Still listening, and I just want to throw out there: The reason the Iron Man demo sucks shit, is because Sega is making the game.

Glad to have you back, hope Tai is feeling better...since he's a baby and can tell you that. Also glad to hear that you've sort of settled on a rating system. I like the "how much is it worth", but I fear that this might become a problem. Since there will be a game catalog of all the games you own, would that be connected to this? I think that you should only be able to vote, if you own the game. Even renters will have biased opinions since they'll only have played the game for a few days. Same with the rating system, I dont want it to become like ign or some other site, where you can predict before a game comes out what the user score will be. Take the review score and add onto that considerably. But all in all CAG 2.0 is looking to be one of 2008's most anticipated releases.

Also, Wonbat, I feel bad you had to miss out on Comic con, due to Passover. I too missed an event, 4:20 pm april 20th. I know that sounds stupid, but at my college we had a huge party set up and everything which I put a lot of time into it, but had to remove myself due to Passover as well. As far as I'm concerned I should have only had to show up halfway into the Passover get-together since I'm only 1/2 jewish and 1/2 japanese, Ninjew. Just in time for beef, 2 glasses of wine, and desert.

Also I googled ninjew a few years back and this is what came up
http://www.ninjewbook.com/
I have no idea wtf its about, but it looks funny as hell.

Ah looks like I'll listen to it when I get home in a few hours! I wonder if wombat got the raiden exclusive figure that the had at NYCC.

[quote name='ProtoEXE88']Still listening, and I just want to throw out there: The reason the Iron Man demo sucks shit, is because Sega is making the game.[/quote]
They ruined Iron Man!!! The flying is worst then Lair's POS six axis. I really piss me off when the fucking demo at that tank boss which was pretty horrible designed like shit upon a tank.

WOW. wombat you manage to suffer thru iron man demo thrice!. It must have been 4/20 and u were high off weed b/c thats the only way you could have achieve doing that.
DC vs Mortal Kombat. what great concept. DC which a postive and MK which is negative and you combine that you get a shitty game. There no way this game even be close to balance. The big overpowered characters will be green lantern and superman will be only characters that anyone will play. They should make this game minus the MK and it will be win.
Well good cagcast

Wombat (AKA the hardest working man in videogames) i gotta disagree with ya on the multiplayer weapon thing. I think the halo system works better because it makes it part of the fight to get to the better weapons while in game like call of duty a guy can spawn with a sniper rifle and just hang back and camp never going to the areas of action. I also think for a licensed game iron man isnt that bad. yeah the no jump is pretty weak but all you gotta do is tap the hover button and its basically the same thing. id give it a $30 on the cag cash scale. I dont see how anyone can be excited for dc vs mk there gonna have an uphill battle if there gonna convince anybody that this is gonna be a good game.

comic con pics
2426727986_86d1b82da4.jpg

http://flickr.com/photos/milkman/sets/72157604630666067/

Hey Wombat,
Ever answer your PM's? Tried to send you a message about comics and Eye of Judgement. Will listen to the show later on.

Edit:
Also see my post on the newly announced Call of Duty CCG to get a taste of the venom in my bile Upper Deck Entertainment has given me tonight.

Man I just bought a bunch of songs from a Russian MP3 site that are hard to find and to top off that listening pleasure with the CAGcast..... this is the best Audio day EVER!!!!!! :p

Why does this episode crash my Zune? The last 4 or so episodes didn't but the ones before that did.

I want to listen it..!

Wombat, in regard to your lamenting Warhawk: far superior FPS games DID exist when Warhawk came out. They were just on the PC. They're still there ;)

Wombat, thank you for pronouncing Ninja Gaiden correctly this time, hehehe...

btw Wombat, can we see a pic of that Iron Man tumbler? and I can't believe those iFanboy dudes were so rude to you. that sucks cuz they seem like cool guys on the show. *hugs Wombat*

and i agree with Cheapy, the MK series has degraded so much that the only good thing about the series now are the Fatalities. i know a lot of hardcore MK players who find this collaboration completely hilarious and bad.

[quote name='atomsk']I can't believe what that ifanboy douche pulled. If he did that to me, I'd punch him in the nuts.[/quote]

Yeah! Nobody out-douches you!

I kinda figured wombat would make it to comic con, did you get to go the more gaming centric day of the con aka Sunday? Gears of War Panel at Comic Con was pretty enlightening, while it didn't provide too new footage of the game (they played the teaser from GDC), it did make 2 important points.

-Cole Train's lines were ab libbed, so the crystal dynamics guy's claim has a little less weight.
-More importantly, they verified something I've always shouted in the Userplane Room...that Gears is nothing more than Kill.Switch with Chainsaws! Apparently my hunch was verified when Mike Capps stated that a key designer from Kill.Switch worked with Epic to implement
cover in the game.

Also that Captain America Cup is pretty sweet.

The Hulk game was at Marvel's booth...right behind the iron man kiosk. Only problem was it was a hands off demo.

[quote name='youruglyclone']The Hulk game was at Marvel's booth...right behind the iron man kiosk. Only problem was it was a hands off demo.[/quote]

So how does it look?

The only reaction I've had to the screenshots released so far is mild nausea.

No pics of the NYCC glasses?

The Rogue Squadron games had the same problem that you had with Lair, Cheapy, that you couldn't tell WTF was going on and where you were supposed to go. Did you get the DLC with more dragons, Wombat?

I wouldn't be surprised that MGO looks better than R6V2 since R6V2 doesn't look much better than a year old game.

It would be nice to see Wombat sell Warhawk so he doesn't bring it up all the time just to complain about it. ;)

The original MGO had that weapon set-up, where you pick the weapon/items you start out with. I think you're a fan of the more realistic style of weapon pick-up, whereas Warhawk's an arcadey shooter. I'm not a fan of the everything's locked away and you must play online constantly so you can play with that stuff, which may be the reason why I prefer Rainbow Six Vegas 2 and the ability to play through any mode to unlock stuff.

Good show, though you guys didn't really beat the Shipwrecks since this show was supposed to be out last week. ;)

I liked Cheapy's point about the excessive focus on DLC for dead-end multiplayer games. All too often in this industry you've got fans screaming for certain things (online multiplayer) and unfortunately getting what they want. So now most new games have a half-assed single player experience because every game is expected to have a multiplayer component. If you look at the numbers you'll find that only the most popular games have a decent online community (Halo, CoD, etc). Releasing mulitiplayer-only DLC or spending serious development time on games that obviously aren't going to have a big multiplayer community is a big waste of everyone's time and money.

If a multiplayer component has become a necessary evil for every game, developers need to use DLC to improve the single player experience.

Don't worry Wombat, you don't need those guys. You have us! :cool:

Great show once again.

And glad to hear Tai is all better now Cheapy.

next time you go and pull some crap like this tell us first. i was pretty sure i was going to die.

I can understand how CheapyD feels about Dingleberry's adventure. One time while playing Double Dragon with a fellow CAG, he was slient and acted awkard. Afterwards, he told me he was getting a BJ from his girlfriend while talking and playing with me.

Here's a pic of the Iron Man tumbler Wombat disscussed.
ironman.jpg

Good show.. a little late, but hey, better late than later.

GT5 - Cheapy I bash you a lot about your Sony views and I see you were being polite as possibe but, in the case of Gran Turismo 5, you're abosulte right! I'd rather wait until the full version is available, and I know its a money issue where they need to make some money to keep the project going, but i'd pay 70 dollars for a FULL NEXT GEN, GT5 game. [As long as my Dodge Charger is in the game]

Lair - I'm surpised that Wombat likes this game, I enjoyed it too, but I felt like the way they just copied and pasted the Rouge Squadron formula into this game, perhaps, they didn't take Lair too seriously. It's like the game is a spoof. That's just so unfair to do that to a new franchise. They have good characters, good story, maybe the dragons could have been more than ship types but charaters too, (i.e. like the Tachikomas of Ghost in the Shell S.A.C)

with the DLC for GTA IV , do you guys think that its going to be anything like the previous DLC that the series has seen. Not DLC, expansion. Remember in the early days of GTA there was a London expansion pack. which basically turned the city into 1970 London city.

What do you guys think about the new Naruto game and the Afro samurai games that are coming out?

I see we're talking about the expansion of the Guitar Hero Franchise, with the Aerosmith editiona nd the Guitar Hero: Rock band edition that's coming out, but my question is what's rock band's response, how do you think they will respond, or what they should do to respond? [ps. I should have bought Rock Band from the beginning]

Warhawk - you guys are much too hard on Warhawk. you say its missing something, but you don't even know what it is. Maybe it could use more weapons and a Call of Duty 4 type system. It should have something to work for.. something to make you want or have to come back. COD4 is a FPS RPG in the way you gain experience and additional weapons. Maybe Warhawk would benefit from that type of set up. I still think that you guys should enjoy it for what it is.. a simple online multiplayer shoot em up.

on second thought, the maps are so damn big, they could have more team based missions. protect the convoy dog fight, etc.

[quote name='thorbahn3']I can understand how CheapyD feels about Dingleberry's adventure. One time while playing Double Dragon with a fellow CAG, he was slient and acted awkard. Afterwards, he told me he was getting a BJ from his girlfriend while talking and playing with me.

Here's a pic of the Iron Man tumbler Wombat disscussed.
ironman.jpg
[/quote]

awesome, thanks thorbahn

[quote name='Thomas96'] my question is what's rock band's response, how do you think they will respond, or what they should do to respond?[/quote]

Not a thing. Stay focused on their own product and evolve it as they see fit, and in no way as a reaction to Guitar Hero's competition.

Even if Guitar Hero added more instruments to its game, Rock Band still has some gameplay advantage. Creating custom avatars, managing your own band, giving some strategic feel to the world tour ..

Guitar Hero can follow, but if they can't innovate, Rock Band will remain a step ahead of them.

That said, I'd be happy to see Guitar Hero evolve in its own direction. But it wouldn't be beneficial to have two very similar games.

bread's done
Back