CAGcast #117: Gaybots are Hitting on Me

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
Cheapy and Wombat discuss GTA, embargoes, the video game pricing problem, the latest video game industry and shopping news, your CAGbag questions and much more!

Win a prop from the Iron Man Movie
Win Grand Theft Auto IV (PS3)

[media]http://media.libsyn.com/media/cheapyd/cagcast117.mp3[/media]Download - 110 minutes, 44MB
[digg]http://digg.com/podcasts/CAGcast[/digg]
Past CAGcasts

Show Linkage/Notes (click the button below to expand):

Bonus Picture:

By popular request, bjwoodruff's CAGs On News Theme Song
[media]http://www.cheapassgamer.com/podcast/cagsonews.mp3[/media]

Nice downloading now. This definitely was very unexpected. I hope we can get a GTA CAG game with Cheapy and Wombat in it soon.

Cheapy, the problem with the PS3 is the exact same problem as the Wii. The Japanese culture. We as westerners marvel at the stuff Microsoft does for the 360 because they understand what games in the west want.

In Japan, this is not necessarily what Japanese gamers want. And to some extent, they don't care. It is not something prone to just console manufacturers' either, as seen with games such as Mr. Driller Online, Metal Gear Online, Nintendo games and Gran Turismo 5 Prologue. Online is an afterthought, and seems wedged in there just to say "we have online, praise us for having it".

And Sony can't give in-game music from the XMB because of Microsoft's patent on the technology (Which seems to be ignored largely). As for cross game invites and messaging, some things we just won't know until it actually happens.

"I'm getting fat, man."

The way it was said had me chuckling. It's okay, Cheapy, you'll fit in just fine when you return to the U.S. Plus, it takes a lot of food energy to keep yourself bald and seven-feet tall.

Cheapy for the record the xbox 360 is having the SAME connection problems as the PS3.....

I know you don't have the game, just wanted to set the record straight.

[quote name='steverl22']Cheapy for the record the xbox 360 is having the SAME connection problems as the PS3.....

I know you don't have the game, just wanted to set the record straight.[/quote]

I got the game a few hours after putting up the CAGcast...didn't have any problems playing online at all.

Gummi Bears intro FTW~!

Cheapy/Wombat, a good example of the $20 price tag for new games would be Take Two's experiment with NFL 2k (I forget the year) that was sold new for $20. EA actually responded with some choice words about that low price for a new game when Take Two did that. It sold REALLY well and it was just as good as the previous NFL 2k games. I think Take Two did that before EA finally got the exclusive rights to the NFL license.

OMFG, that sandwich! DO WANT!

On another topic, regarding the discussion about game prices: Cheapy, I was surprised to hear you say games should cost the same as DVDs. How much entertainment time do you get from the average DVD? 2 hours? And how much entertainment time from the average game? At least 10, plus you can get good trade value when you are done with a game.

That, coupled with, as Wombat mentioned, the fact that DVDs are for the most part 2nd time around (after box office)... there really is no comparison.

Now, having multiple price tiers is a good idea... you are right, $60 for GTA vs. $60 for Iron Man is bs... of course, most copies of Iron Man will go to the teen and younger crowd, bought by their parents... which is why Sega can ask top dollar. It doesn't matter if a game is good for the younger crowd, they don't read reviews. It's all about the branding. And that is why crap games with a good brand will always be released at top dollar.

It does seem like unknown franchises should go with a different price model, though. I agree that way more people would buy a questionable game for cheap. I do when they are on clearance. Recent score, The Simpsons for 360, only $12 at Target, and quite a lot of fun! If it was released at $20, I probably would have bought it at launch.

Also, regarding that hilarious fight in the John Carpenter classic, "They Live":
1) The fight was real. They started going at it on the set, and JC kept filming.
2) Their was a fantastic blow-for-blow parody of this on South Park between Timmy and Jimmy(!)

Thanks again for the great CAGCast!

I'm curious about Wombat's statement that people buying WiiFit makes him nauseous. Does he feel the same way about people buying DDR, EyeToy:Kinetic, Singstar, or one of the many other non-games? Is it just the fact that WiiFit comes with a "scale" that offends him?

I can understand why WiiFit would not be the type of game (or non-game) that you would want to play, but to complain that it makes you sick to think of people spending $90 on it is a but much. I think it is funny that people paid $70 for Eye of Judgement so that they could play a digital version of a card game but I wouldn't go so far as to say it makes me sick.

Holy fuck what an ignorant discussion about the PS3.

Why do you have to buy an overpriced 360 HDD to use for your system?
Why do you have to find special cables to transfer from one MS HDD to another if you want to?
Why do you have to spend hours and hours on the phone with MS trying to get the ability to play your Arcade games because they have garbage DRM?
Why do you have to pay for Xbox Live?
Why do you have to be overcharged for stuff because you have to buy MS "points"?
Why do you have to have a special wireless router to use with the 360?
Why does the 360 not have Wi-Fi built in, if a DS can have that?
Why do you have to have advertisements on the Marketplace?
Why did the 360 limit the ability of several titles by not including a HDD with every console?
Why does the 360 limit the file size of Arcade titles?
Why does about every other system fail due to shoddy architecture?
Why can you never have dedicated servers online?
Why whyw hwwhwhwywhwywhyhwywhwyhwywhyw

;_;

What a shitty discussion, seriously. The PS3 isn't a disappointment. It does have faults, but so does the 360. To shit on the PS3 and act like the 360 is some gaming nirvana is retarded. If the PS3 is a disappointment, so is the 360. You're only loyal to the games and Xbox Live.

And shut the hell up about fucking installs on PS3. You keep saying 20GB users must have filled up their HDD's already. Who gives a shit. 20GB (the original maximum size of the 360 HDD) 360 users can fill up their HDD completely with Arcade titles and must delete and ration space. What the fuck is the difference?

Seriously, make this a Wii60 podcast if all you're going to do is whine about irrelevant shit.

[quote name='andy.evans']And shut the hell up about fucking installs on PS3. You keep saying 20GB users must have filled up their HDD's already. Who gives a shit. 20GB (the original maximum size of the 360 HDD) 360 users can fill up their HDD completely with Arcade titles and must delete and ration space. What the fuck is the difference?

Seriously, make this a Wii60 podcast if all you're going to do is whine about irrelevant shit.[/QUOTE]

So you're saying that you don't like the PS3?

Excellent new game price analysis by two real cheap asses. You echo my cheap ass sentiments regarding proper pricing for videogames. The triple A games deserve the $59 price point . Lower quality games would sell a boat load if they were appropriately priced and they can maintain that price point longer rather than slashing prices 1-2 months after release.

[quote name='andy.evans']Holy fuck what an ignorant discussion about the PS3.

Why do you have to find special cables to transfer from one MS HDD to another if you want to?
Why do you have to spend hours and hours on the phone with MS trying to get the ability to play your Arcade games because they have garbage DRM?
Why do you have to be overcharged for stuff because you have to buy MS "points"?
Why did the 360 limit the ability of several titles by not including a HDD with every console?

;_;

What a shitty discussion, seriously. The PS3 isn't a disappointment. It does have faults, but so does the 360. To shit on the PS3 and act like the 360 is some gaming nirvana is retarded. If the PS3 is a disappointment, so is the 360. You're only loyal to the games and Xbox Live.[/quote]

:whistle2:s wow.

This week's show is, exactly what I like to see in the CAGcast. A full, fair, discussion on the gaming industry's horrible sense of just, what a game deserves.

The matter of better or worst was best displayed with the case of Rock Band v.s Singstar. I was actually pretty set on picking up Singstar until, it was pictured against Rock Band. Thought about it for a second and thought, damn. You guy's saved me some money.

Great cast, keep it up.

;_;

What a shitty discussion, seriously. The PS3 isn't a disappointment. It does have faults, but so does the 360. To shit on the PS3 and act like the 360 is some gaming nirvana is retarded. If the PS3 is a disappointment, so is the 360. You're only loyal to the games and Xbox Live.[/QUOTE]

Mad much?

Go get laid buddy, It'll do the world some good.

;_;

What a shitty discussion, seriously. The PS3 isn't a disappointment. It does have faults, but so does the 360. To shit on the PS3 and act like the 360 is some gaming nirvana is retarded. If the PS3 is a disappointment, so is the 360. You're only loyal to the games and Xbox Live.[/QUOTE]

I understand where you are coming from, but I have both, and the PS3 is a massive disappointment to me for online play. To coordinate a game with my friends, I have to CALL THEM ON THE PHONE or have a pre-arranged time. Welcome to 1995. Live is well worth the price. On the other hand, I do like a lot about the PS3, including many of the points you made above.

I think the big complaint is why can't Sony get their online play experience together, even if it's as simple as in-game invites, messages, etc., and being able to see what your friends are playing. It's not rocket science, and it makes playing online VASTLY better than the current system. You can't argue with that.

[quote name='andy.evans']And shut the hell up about fucking installs on PS3. You keep saying 20GB users must have filled up their HDD's already. Who gives a shit. 20GB (the original maximum size of the 360 HDD) 360 users can fill up their HDD completely with Arcade titles and must delete and ration space. What the fuck is the difference?

Seriously, make this a Wii60 podcast if all you're going to do is whine about irrelevant shit.[/QUOTE]

Wow... the point was about the big installs many PS3 retail games require. It's unlikely that anyone filled their 20 gb 360 drive with arcade titles, because they are small. Demos and movies are another story, but no one stores them there forever.

6 PS3 games with 4gb installs = 24 gb. See the point?

Use logic, man, not rage.

If you break the embargo you lose free review copies of games from that Company. You lose a lot if you can't review rockstar or games from Take Two.

You can play PS3 online with other regions. I don't like when you guys make inaccurate statements regarding the PS3. I know you guys don't pick the PS3 as your primary system. that's fine, but hey...

Your better or worse for Singstar is wrong Wombat, because, Rock Band only works for Rock songs, however, Singstar is for the Karaoke market. But you were so willing to shoot down Singstar that you didn't realize that Singstar and Rockband are pretty much in two different circles. You can't perform Thriller by Micheal Jackson in Rockband? or can you?!

Where is that MS consumer voice in regards to the failure rate. The only reason Microsoft wants to move to a new console is due to the fact that they can't fix the present console thats on the market. Sony does care about what people think and there is a community aspect to Sony. http://blog.us.playstation.com/ Sony has been responding to complaints since day one. Sheesh. Wombat, you wouldn't even have a PS3 if it wasn't for Cheapy and Cheapy only bought two PS3s for show purposes only. [hardly for personal enjoyment] I am going to argue that the PS3 is a good system, with good FREE online. People chat on Call of Duty 4, people chat on Metal Gear Online. IMO you guys are too pesimistic in regards to the PS3. Its the Sony's response to the gamers that has them working on In game XMB in the first place.

There's nothing that's halfassed about the PS3 its an excellent system that's getting even better.

The Playstation 3 is still a better deal than the 360... why? because it fuckin works!

-
about 3 shows ago, Cheapy didn't even know that the PS3 themes were free.

and Wombat.. just because YOU'RE having problems with Eye of Judgement, it doesn't mean that everyone else has, or will have a problem with the game. But apparently you're not having too much of a problem if you played for 3 hours, online w/ voice chat. For Free..
oh yeah and good job helping Shipwreck find his PS3... I didn't think he had one.

[quote name='Thomas96']If you break the embargo you lose free review copies of games from that Company. You lose a lot if you can't review rockstar or games from Take Two.

You can play PS3 online with other regions. I don't like when you guys make inaccurate statements regarding the PS3. I know you guys don't pick the PS3 as your primary system. that's fine, but hey...

Your better or worse for Singstar is wrong Wombat, because, Rock Band only works for Rock songs, however, Singstar is for the Karaoke market. But you were so willing to shoot down Singstar that you didn't realize that Singstar and Rockband are pretty much in two different circles. You can't perform Thriller by Micheal Jackson in Rockband? or can you?!

Where is that MS consumer voice in regards to the failure rate. The only reason Microsoft wants to move to a new console is due to the fact that they can't fix the present console thats on the market. Sony does care about what people think and their is a community aspect to Sony. http://blog.us.playstation.com/ PS3 has been responding to complaints since day one. Sheesh. Wombat, you wouldn't even have a PS3 if it wasn't for Cheapy and Cheapy only bought two PS3s for show purposes only. [hardly for personal enjoyment] I am going to argue that the PS3 is a good system, with good FREE online. People chat on Call of Duty 4, people chat on Metal Gear Online. IMO you guys are so pesimistic in regards to the PS3. Its the Sony's response to the gamers that has them working on In game XMB in the first place.

There's nothing that's halfassed about the PS3 its an excellent system that's getting even better.

The Playstation 3 is still a better deal than the 360... why? because it fuckin works!

-
about 3 shows ago, Cheapy didn't even know that the PS3 themes were free.

and Wombat.. just because YOU'RE having problems with Eye of Judgement, it doesn't mean that everyone else has, or will have a problem with the game. But apparently you're not having too much of a problem if you played for 3 hours, online w/ voice chat. For Free..
oh yeah and good job helping Shipwreck find his PS3... I didn't think he had one.[/quote]
*highfive*

[quote name='gorgo']I understand where you are coming from, but I have both, and the PS3 is a massive disappointment to me for online play. To coordinate a game with my friends, I have to CALL THEM ON THE PHONE or have a pre-arranged time. Welcome to 1995. Live is well worth the price. On the other hand, I do like a lot about the PS3, including many of the points you made above.

I think the big complaint is why can't Sony get their online play experience together, even if it's as simple as in-game invites, messages, etc., and being able to see what your friends are playing. It's not rocket science, and it makes playing online VASTLY better than the current system. You can't argue with that.[/QUOTE]

well you could video chat with them via PS3, or send them a Message... how would you do it on 360?

Call of Duty is in game invites, Tekken DR has in game invites, Burnout, GTA IV, ... and you can see what your friends are playing. Most of my friends were playing GTA IV, Mana was playing Rockband.. Sprint was playing COD4,...

but hey, I cant' argue with BS... BS definitely wins around here.

ha, wombat saying that mario kart ds's online is better then mario kart wii's online. the wii's is far better. it's not even close.

[quote name='buttle']ha, wombat saying that mario kart ds's online is better then mario kart wii's online. the wii's is far better. it's not even close.[/quote]
He was just saying that's what 1up Yours said.

And that's not exactly what 1up Yours said.

It's pretty unarguable that MKWii online system is better than MKDS

As a gamer, I cannot stand Wii Fit. You know why? It's all lies. It will never get you fit. The difference between DDR and Wii Fit is, DDR will get you sweaty and the cardio going if you play it long enough and hard enough.

Morons will go out and buy Wii Fit thinking it will make them fit, the exact same crap as the brain 'training' and face 'training' (who the fuck needs face training...seriously?) crap... it is all lies.

It also pisses me off because I see Nintendo moving in this direction instead of creating deep games or developing new characters. It's the same old characters, but now they have these 'casual' games a.k.a. games for morons. Gone is the Nintendo of my childhood.

Nintendo, create new characters. Stop whoring out the same characters you've had for 20+ years. Stop being cheap. Get your online shit together. Produce more consoles.

I do agree with some of the other posters that amount of misinformation on this podcast is getting a little worse as time goes on. I just think it's because Cheapy has a kid now and Wombat is juggling two jobs and a pregnant wife (not literally).

Rule of thumb guys: If you aren't sure, don't talk about it or just say you don't know. I also really don't give a shit what other podcasts say about games. I'm listening to the CAGCast to find out what you guys think about games. Quoting (or worse, misquoting) what other podcasts think about a game doesn't interest me in the least.

By the way, the person who said to skip Mario Kart Wii and just buy Double Dash and Boom Blox was Nick - aka RockSolidAudio.

[quote name='Thomas96']...You can't perform Thriller by Micheal Jackson in Rockband? or can you?!...[/QUOTE]

Why would you want to?

[quote name='Thomas96']well you could video chat with them via PS3, or send them a Message... how would you do it on 360?
[/QUOTE]

Yes, but just because one of my friends is online on their ps3, doesn't mean they'd get the message or chat invite when I send it. I don't know if they're watching a movie, etc.

[quote name='Thomas96']Call of Duty is in game invites, Tekken DR has in game invites, Burnout, GTA IV, ... and you can see what your friends are playing. Most of my friends were playing GTA IV, Mana was playing Rockband.. Sprint was playing COD4,...
[/QUOTE]

How did you see what they were playing? Believe me, if I saw that on the PS3, I'd be thrilled. I've never seen more than if a friend is online or not. And whenever I've gone to the ingame invites on COD4, it says to quit the game and go to the PS XMB. Not the same as inviting from within a game in progress or the lobby, as on the 360.

[quote name='Thomas96']but hey, I cant' argue with BS... BS definitely wins around here.[/QUOTE] It does a lot, but I prefer to go with facts... I'm willing to listen to learn what I don't know. Like I said, I have both systems. I don't have an emotional attachment to either, both have strengths. I haven't seen what you describe on the PS3, but would be thrilled if I did.

So, really, tell me where you can:
1) See what your friends are playing on PSN
2) Send your friends a message/game invite IN GAME, and they'll see it pop up so they know it's been received. Otherwise, they can't respond until they happen to check their messages.

The PSN would be a better place with this...

[quote name='mguiddy']If people on PSN not having mics mean I don't have to listen to immature 12 (and 25) year olds and those that try to seduce them, it's fine by me.[/QUOTE]

That is a BIG plus. I find much less of that on PSN than on Xbox Live. However, it also impedes strategizing as a team in games that require it.

bread's done
Back