Resident Evil 2 $27 and Resident Evil 3 $22 at Amazon.com

hmm what to get for 3 dollars more? I beat RE 2 too many times already I found RE 3 to be pretty interesting though..

I've never played the Resident Evil series before, so I picked up the Resident Evil 1 remake on the Cube a while back, and I would like to get these, but then I'm seeing reviews 2 and 3 on the Cube at like 5's and 6's? What happened?

[Edit]Thanks, coolsteel![/Edit]

[quote name='m0rningbreakfast']There's Viewtiful Joe 2 for the Gamecube thats like $6 at amazon.com[/QUOTE]

Viewtiful Joe 2 isn't eligible for any sort of free shipping.

[quote name='Teqonix']I've never played the Resident Evil series before, so I picked up the Resident Evil 1 remake on the Cube a while back, and I would like to get these, but then I'm seeing reviews 2 and 3 on the Cube at like 5's and 6's? What happened?[/QUOTE]

Resident Evil 1 was a remake for the cube, done from the ground up if i'm not mistaken. 2 and 3 were just ports of the psone versions, only reason they go for anything now is because people want to say they own RE 0-4 for the same system. If I were you, skip to number 4, easily one of the best games of last generation

Resident Evil 2 and 3 for the gamecube weren't enhanced like REmake, from what I've heard. Despite this, they tend to sell for quite a bit

[quote name='Teqonix']I've never played the Resident Evil series before, so I picked up the Resident Evil 1 remake on the Cube a while back, and I would like to get these, but then I'm seeing reviews 2 and 3 on the Cube at like 5's and 6's? What happened?[/QUOTE]

Nothing is wrong with the games, and if you have never played them I encourage you to pick them up. The reason review scores are low is because these are pretty basic ports of the Dreamcast ports that had been released just a year or two prior. Couple that with the fact that Capcom had just shown us what they could do with REmake, and I think a lot of people were just let down. I also don't think they were released at any sort of discounted price, but I could be wrong. Also, 2, 3, and Code Veronica X are semi rare and go for about this price used, so I would suggest jumping on it.

What happened was the games were supposed to be $19.99 originally since they were nothing more than ports of the PS1 versions without any of the extra stuff added to the N64/Dreamcast/PC ports, but then Capcom got greedy and brought them out at $39.99 each, and reviewers took that into account.

EDIT: Beaten by Pudding.

If I really feel like playing them, chances are I'll just pick them up on PS1 and play them on the ol' PS3. I don't really care what platform I own the games on.

Shame that 2 wasn't an actual remake though - trapped in a city full of zombies? Giggity.

Thanks for the help, everybody!

just want to let you guys know... i've done A LOT of research on which system has the best version of resident evil 2 and 3... and the dreamcast wins by far. The gamcube games are still very good, but because they squished all that goodness into 1 small gamecube disc, the games were compressed more so on the gamecube. The graphics suffer quite a bit in the FMV department, and the sound is a bit tinnier. The gamecube is ports of the PSone version, where as the Dreamcast has ports of the PC versions.

[quote name='fuzz-man']just want to let you guys know... i've done A LOT of research on which system has the best version of resident evil 2 and 3... and the dreamcast wins by far. The gamcube games are still very good, but because they squished all that goodness into 1 small gamecube disc, the games were compressed more so on the gamecube. The graphics suffer quite a bit in the FMV department, and the sound is a bit tinnier. The gamecube is ports of the PSone version, where as the Dreamcast has ports of the PC versions.[/QUOTE]

Very true, keep in mind the PC version wasn't stunning or anything but still looked better then the psone.

the N64 version of RE 2 has to be the ugliest, I remember RE 0 being originally planned back then for the N64

[quote name='GDKN-403']What happened was the games were supposed to be $19.99 originally since they were nothing more than ports of the PS1 versions without any of the extra stuff added to the N64/Dreamcast/PC ports, but then Capcom got greedy and brought them out at $39.99 each, and reviewers took that into account.

EDIT: Beaten by Pudding.[/QUOTE]

It really shows their greed when you take into account that the superior DC versions released for $20 each.

[quote name='CaoPi']the N64 version of RE 2 has to be the ugliest, I remember RE 0 being originally planned back then for the N64[/quote]

10.jpg

[quote name='CaoPi']the N64 version of RE 2 has to be the ugliest, I remember RE 0 being originally planned back then for the N64[/quote]

Really? I played it on the N64 and really liked how it looked. Granted, my only comparison was the PS1, and the extra RAM cartridge allowed a higher resolution for all the rendered stuff. The FMVs were obviously compressed to hell, but it definitely didn't look bad.

And these are some good prices on these games, for anyone who's been after them. I already own both, but thanks anyway OP.

Guess I'll have to think about this one a little more. I haven't played 2 or 3, so I wouldn't really have anything to compare the games to. These are one of the last few games I need to complete my GameCube collection though.

thanks OP, I got in on these 2. I had to order RE3 from HubbaGames as Amazon was sold out, but the total cost was only $2 more so I'm ok with that.

I have never played either of the these but I have enjoyed 1, Veronica, and 4.

Good luck on anyone who wants one to get these

I want these two just so I can play with my Wavebird. I've got RE2 on PC, and have played through Leon's story only. These types of games just really seem suited for the Cube's controls.

Sometimes compression isn't the best, they did this with Skies of Arcadia Legends for gamecube, the music was obvious.

if you guys havnt played 2/3 i suggest starting with the resident evil 1 remake. if you like that one then go on ahead and play 2/3. the old school RE games arent for everyone.

[quote name='bang4dabuc']Better hurry, inventory shows only 12 copies of RE2 and 6 copies of RE3 left.[/quote]

How can you tell how many are in their inventory?

Also, I am in for both. I loved RE 2 on the psx. Spent many a Saturday playing 10-12 hours.

The only ones im missing are 2 and Code Veronica which i already own for Dreamcast and PS2. to bad 2 is the more expensive version. What to do? What to do?

I could really use both but one ships from some site outside of Amazon... it's only $2 more but, I'd rather not deal with the CS of that site.

[quote name='thebob101']How can you tell how many are in their inventory?

Also, I am in for both. I loved RE 2 on the psx. Spent many a Saturday playing 10-12 hours.[/QUOTE]

Update quantity to 999

i've been researching these pretty heavily. i've been planning on purchasing them. That price is killer for RE2 for sure. But for 3, Nemesis, you can easily get it for under $20 used on half or amazon occasionally. X is super rare, but the funny part is its the only one not on the "black" list for special orders at Game Crazy. They also sell it for $9, so for aobut $15 i'll be getting it soon. But the price for RE2 is great. 3 isn't all that good, i even think it was lower a few weeks ago when i contemplated buying it...

[quote name='Darth Mallrat']Anyone know if these are the Player's Choice versions or not?[/QUOTE]

I don't think there are Player's Choice versions of these particular RE games. They came and went rather quickly.

[quote name='fuzz-man']just want to let you guys know... i've done A LOT of research on which system has the best version of resident evil 2 and 3... and the dreamcast wins by far. The gamcube games are still very good, but because they squished all that goodness into 1 small gamecube disc, the games were compressed more so on the gamecube. The graphics suffer quite a bit in the FMV department, and the sound is a bit tinnier. The gamecube is ports of the PSone version, where as the Dreamcast has ports of the PC versions.[/QUOTE]

Ok, I might be wrong here, but the DC was a CD-Rom based system with a max of 700mb per disc. I'm pretty sure the GC discs can hold 1.5gb each, so why would any compression be needed? It seems the problem is which version they ported, not the capacity of the disc.

I just picked them both up. Thanks a lot for the post! I had to get them from the other seller as well, but I've been wanting these for the longest time for under 75 bucks so I jumped on this.

[quote name='mietha']Ok, I might be wrong here, but the DC was a CD-Rom based system with a max of 700mb per disc.[/quote]

You're wrong. The Dreamcast had a proprietary drive called a GD-ROM, and the discs had a capacity of 1.2GB.

[quote name='elmyra']You're wrong. The Dreamcast had a proprietary drive called a GD-ROM, and the discs had a capacity of 1.2GB.[/quote]

The psx release had two cd roms. assuming the game took nearly 700 each disc, that would be short of 1400 mb of game data. I assume the dreamcast version had some type of compression technique/format that didn't work well with the gamecube that it took more than 1.5 gig to store on one GC disc?

my guess is, the audio output or processor isn't as great on the gamecube compared to the dreamcast and ps2 that it seemed like the quality of the port from DC to gamecube is low. I think the video and graphics were ported perfectly on the GC from the DC.

I could be wrong. I have not played DC and GC versions myself. But I kind of wonder how 1.2 gigs of the game can't fit on a 1.5 GC disc. they probably really fit the whole game perfectly on one disc with just the sound not outputting the same quality because of hardware differences.

Like someone said. RE2 and 3 were ported only to have people complete the series under one console. or to have the nintendo fans (who don't buy playstation hardware) experience the resident evil series.

[quote name='CaoPi']the N64 version of RE 2 has to be the ugliest, I remember RE 0 being originally planned back then for the N64[/QUOTE]

The N64 RE2 version looked sharper than the PS1 version and it had quick load times. The sound was the problem. The audio was compressed and it was terrible. Visually, it was a slight upgrade to the PS1 version.

[quote name='Alucard400']Like someone said. RE2 and 3 were ported only to have people complete the series under one console. [/quote]

I just bought 2 today and thats exactly why i have picked them up. I Currently own 0, 1 REmake, 3 Nemesis, and 4. I played all of them on PS1 and Code Veronica on Dreamcast which i still own. But never got to beat 1-3 as i never owned them. So I thought it would be cool to have them all for the Gamecube especially with 0 and the REmake, even though ive since re-bought 4 for the Wii Edition i think its still a cool collection and might be worth some money someday. I just need to pick up Code Veronica X to complete the collection now which ive seen locally used but haven't felt like spending the money on a game i wont re play for quite some time and own on 2 other systems.

19.79 resident evil 3
24.79 resident evil 2
respectivly now ^_^
i think they ran out and got more or something..also put down the price ^_^

The DC version had higher-res textures. It's like they bleemed it or something. The GC version was a port of the PSX version. I think everyones gripe was that it wasn't even the best version being ported over so that's why it scored low. And concerning the GCs sound chip, according to one developer, the sound chip is actually better than the PS2's, but Nintendo never gave it a means to output Dolby Digital. Sucks for us GC owners, but oh well. DPLII is fine I guess.

I know the DC version of RE2 is a port of the PC version and is one of the few titles on the DC that ran in Windows CE.

The DC RE2 is considered the best version on a console, because it uses the higher resolution textures from the PC.

RE3 on the DC was just a port of the PSX version and didn't translate as well as RE2.

[tag for later reading] my favorite franchise. counting down til RE5, a system seller for me! Here's to hoping for a special console edition or bundle.

bread's done
Back