Watchman

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Well, the gunmetal edition has been announced on the Konami website:
  • Gun Metal Gray PLAYSTATION®3 with a 40GB Hard drive
  • Gray DUALSHOCK®3 wireless controller
  • Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots Limited Edition
    • The Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots game, which includes Metal Gear Online, enabling you to take part in the ultimate multiplayer squad based tactical shooter
    • Exclusive Blu-ray disc including over 2 hours of additional content - "Hideo Kojima's Gene" a behind-the-scenes vision of Hideo Kojima's production team & game and "The Making of Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots" documentary
    • The official Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots CD Soundtrack, including 16 never-before-released tracks by Harry Gregson-Williams (Shrek, Armageddon, The Rock), Nobuko Toda, and Ennio Morricone
    All for the low low price of $599+shipping.
The breakdown then for the two versions:

Regular bundle pack:

Cost: $500
Memory: 80 gig
Included: MGS4 regular edition, (2) documentaries, 16-track soundtrack
Accessories: (1) Dualshock 3 controller
Addditional features: Backwards emulation for 85% of PS2 games

Limited Edition bundle pack:
Cost: $599+shipping
Memory: 40 gig
Included: MGS4 Limited edition, (2) documentaries, 16-track soundtrack
Accessories: (1) Dualshock 3 controller
Addditional features: Gunmetal finish

I think you can see what's the better deal, CAG's.
Think about this: You're paying for the exact same console as the current standard 40 gig, with a $60 game thrown in and a slightly more expensive controller. Does it justify the roughly $130 extra for a differently shaded mold?
I am a dyed-in-the-wool hardcore MG fan since 1988-- but I'll be an absolute fool to pay an extra $100 for half the memory and zero backwards compatibility. The real irony is you wouldn't be able to play either MGS 2 or 3 on this, only MGS. I'll be getting the regular bundle edition, then buying a copy of the LE game, and then reselling the copy that comes in the package at around $50...and I'll still save money.

I could care less about the finish for that price. I'll just buy a skin that dulls the look like that if I want.

Quite a dissappointment. I was planning on buying the GunMetal due to the high future resale value. With a $100 LE Premium, half the memory, and no backwards compatibility I think I will have to skip this. I guess I will be getting the regular bundle next month.

LE bundle looks similar to what the Europeans will be getting, an overpriced 40gb package. I think they just get a sixaxis controller though instead of the dualshock o_O

[quote name='Watchman']All for the low low price of $600.[/quote]

I believe you mean five hundred ninety-nine US dollars.

I'm not in the habit of buying collector's edition consoles, but I have to admit the gunmetal DS3 could be cool. Too bad getting one by itself for a reasonable price will be out of the question.

I'm really tempted to get one but i'm not sure. If it was a 80 gig or $100 less it would be a definite but as it is I am going to have to think about it.

[quote name='metaly']I believe you mean five hundred ninety-nine US dollars.
[/quote]

Fixed, AND added "+shipping". So now it's over $600. Don't nitpick.

[quote name='NegativeZero']absolutely ridiculous, I was soooo looking for this and now am sooo disappointed.[/QUOTE]

Same here.

[quote name='Watchman']Fixed, AND added "+shipping". So now it's over $600. Don't nitpick.[/QUOTE]Maybe it's just CA, but there's tax too. That's like $700. I'm so bummed, I really wanted this. I'm contemplating exactly how much of a sucker I am...

[quote name='judyjudyjudy']Maybe it's just CA, but there's tax too. That's like $700. I'm so bummed, I really wanted this. I'm contemplating exactly how much of a sucker I am...[/quote]

Not just tax, but the recycling tax might be instituted too-- all tv's and consoles bought in CA fall under it.

[quote name='Watchman']Not just tax, but the recycling tax might be instituted too-- all tv's and consoles bought in CA fall under it.[/QUOTE]

What is that? I've never paid for anything like that when I bought the 360 or Wii systems in stores and I live in SoCal.

[quote name='OGHowie']What is that? I've never paid for anything like that when I bought the 360 or Wii systems in stores and I live in SoCal.[/quote]

Apparently it applies to items with screens using cathode or LCD for imaging, so perhaps it isn't inclusive of consoles, though I had read they were. I'd have to check my reciept later to verify it wasn't slapped on my console purchase.

Here's the breakdown from the official page on the issue:

Viewable screen size, measured diagonally
Greater than 4 inches but less than 15 inches $6
Greater than or equal to 15 inches but less than 35 inches $8
Greater than or equal to 35 inches $10

[quote name='QiG']I wonder if those gray controllers will be available outside the bundle.[/quote]

Don't hold your breath.

[quote name='Bezerker']Wouldn't it be cheaper just to get your PS3 custom painted?[/quote]

Probably, and in the color of your choice too.

Okay the price is higher, but this is a limited edition console, with the limited edition verison of the game. Honestly I knew it was going to be more than $500, probably at least $550, but what absolutely killed it for me was that it's a 40 gb unit and not the BC 80 gb.

Shit, the limited edition Metal Gear PSP was going for around 400-450 imported, so not a big surprise here.

I was going to do whatever I could to get one of these, but now that its the 40GB one, I can save that money. I'll just get a cool skin for my 60GB I have now.

[quote name='sasukekun']Wonder if Target will have these. Would be great to use the 10% off for signing up for their credit card.[/quote]
These are only going to be sold on konami's website. Sucks, I was looking forward to getting this gun metal version but there's no way in hell I'm forking close to 700 dollars for it. :hot:

[quote name='apokalipze2']These are only going to be sold on konami's website. Sucks, I was looking forward to getting this gun metal version but there's no way in hell I'm forking close to 700 dollars for it. :hot:[/quote]

I fear to see the shipping charge. Even if I was interested in trying to make a fast buck off of this, I think you'd be lucky to find a buyer at even a 25% markup. As I said before, there's a limit-- and I don't need to "collect" this, even at the asking price.

Was very much looking forward to this bundle and I figured the ~$600 price tag. Would have bought if not for the 40G version. Guess should have known since the Japanese limited editon was 40G as well.

Tempting but I'm going to have to pass at $700 out the door, CA tax/shipping.

I'm sticking with the standard MGS4 bundle. Severely disappointing.

[quote name='CouRageouS']I was planning on picking up the regular bundle. Come on tax rebate![/quote]

Exactly!! My tax rebate money has already been set aside in my savings account to purchase the 80gb bundle. Might actually buy both and ebay the gunmetal gray limited edition.

[quote name='bob330i']

Tempting but I'm going to have to pass at $700 out the door, CA tax/shipping.

I'm sticking with the standard MGS4 bundle. Severely disappointing.[/quote]

Yeah, tax is the extreme killer. I am a huge MGS fan and have all that is rare of MGS, but I may and probably will pass on this.

I'm getting the 80 gig bundle. I'm glad I waited to buy my PS3- this 80gig bundle is nice.

Any word on pre-orders for the 80gig bundle? I hear it is supposed to be pretty common in stores, like of like the other bundle the PS3 was selling before. I hope it is true, I don't want to miss out on this bundle!

[quote name='RenoTurk11']I'm getting the 80 gig bundle. I'm glad I waited to buy my PS3- this 80gig bundle is nice.

Any word on pre-orders for the 80gig bundle? I hear it is supposed to be pretty common in stores, like of like the other bundle the PS3 was selling before. I hope it is true, I don't want to miss out on this bundle![/quote]

My local GS, which a large percentage of the staff is pretty up on their info, told me that the regular bundles will be hitting their stores on the 12th, and should be on-hand when the store opens-- I.E. they're delivered to the store on the 11th and held overnight. Being a former GS employee, I'd say there's a lot of truth to that, since we too got our big-ticket items the day before even when I was behind the counter a decade ago.

How limited is this limited edition going to be? Could I just wait further down the line and get it for cheaper? From what I've read in this thread it doesn't seem people are willing to buy it, which is why I'm thinking I can get it for cheaper down the road.

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']How limited is this limited edition going to be? Could I just wait further down the line and get it for cheaper? From what I've read in this thread it doesn't seem people are willing to buy it, which is why I'm thinking I can get it for cheaper down the road.[/quote]

LOL. The only place you'll find this later on is ebay. And I'm pretty sure it won't be cheap.

At least Konami made my decision to stick with my 20gb PS3 easy. If the Gunmetal one had been the 80 gb model I would be scrambling around to sell my current one to pay for this one.

Are the preorders actually supposed to be up today? Maybe I'm a sucker but I want to get my hands on one of these.

I'm logged in, I have the thing in my cart, and it lets me to the first shipping address page... but that's the farthest I've gotten :drool:

[quote name='Halo05']At least Konami made my decision to stick with my 20gb PS3 easy. If the Gunmetal one had been the 80 gb model I would be scrambling around to sell my current one to pay for this one.[/QUOTE]They had no choice but to go with 40GB, 80GB production ended a while ago (along with other SKUs).

Seeing as how the vastly inferior threadjack on this topic in "VGdeals" (how is $600 for a limited-edition with less memory and zero PS2 BC + 500 refundable insurance a "deal" is beyond me) has exploded with frustration, I am very glad to sit back and wait until June 12 to pick mine up in-store. You know, the one with twice the memory and the ability to play MGS2 and 3.

[quote name='MarkMan']So who got one here?[/QUOTE]

Me and my brother tried for an hour... and all we got was server errors.

bread's done
Back