The Best Game Ever Made

yeldarbthetitan

CAG Veteran
Feedback
1 (100%)
This topic was not out there as far as my observations have seen, so I thought to bring it up. As a person who owns WAY to many games, I have had the pleasure of experiencing some truly outstanding titles over the years. Games like Mario 64 or Zelda: OoT are common picks, and although they are both great games, I honestly feel they are far from being the best game ever released. My selection is actually a tie. I decided on Super Metroid for the SNES and Xenogears for the PS1. Super Metroid is hands down the best game in the metroid series and possibly the best 2d side action game ever published. Xenogears is an rpg that really blew my away(and yes it IS better than FF7!). Now before anyone goes to bash my rpg choice, know that I have played all the FF games, chrono trigger, earthbound, secret of mana, and many many many more role playing games. So trust me, Xenogears is one of the elite. What about everyone else out there? What do you call the best game EVER made?

PS- RPG are the best games! PERIOD! ;)

[quote name='yeldarbthetitan']This topic was not out there as far as my observations have seen, so I thought to bring it up. As a person who owns WAY to many games, I have had the pleasure of experiencing some truly outstanding titles over the years. Games like Mario 64 or Zelda: OoT are common picks, and although they are both great games, I honestly feel they are far from being the best game ever released. My selection is actually a tie. I decided on Super Metroid for the SNES and Xenogears for the PS1. Super Metroid is hands down the best game in the metroid series and possibly the best 2d side action game ever published. Xenogears is an rpg that really blew my away(and yes it IS better than FF7!). Now before anyone goes to bash my rpg choice, know that I have played all the FF games, chrono trigger, earthbound, secret of mana, and many many many more role playing games. So trust me, Xenogears is one of the elite. What about everyone else out there? What do you call the best game EVER made?

PS- RPG are the best games! PERIOD! ;)[/QUOTE] I disagree with S metroid cause Castlevania : SOTN is a better overall game

[quote name='sparklecopy']I disagree with S metroid cause Castlevania : SOTN is a better overall game[/quote]
I would have to say castlevania is my favorite game series overall

[quote name='yeldarbthetitan'] As a person who owns WAY to many games[/quote]

Allota people own alotta games they are called sellers but then again alot of people own alot of games but yet have played any of them?

I have had the pleasure of experiencing some truly outstanding titles over the years.
Wohh woooh wait a second you take pleasure games......taht is a bit too much information for us....between you and me I take pleasure in games also.

Games like Mario 64 or Zelda: OoT
Was pretty much the entire N64 collection of Americas and Europe.

I honestly feel they are far from being the best game ever released.
Well duh that is only thing people in USA went crazy over along with the rest of the world.

Super Metroid for the SNES and Xenogears for the PS1.
There is a topic for this and is below this one

Super Metroid is hands down the best game in the metroid series and possibly the best 2d side action game ever published.
Super Metroid is grand but to be honest in Japan it was not well taken thus it was one of two failures that made the creator of Gameboy Gunpei Yoko leave Nintendo. Now I call that pride.

Xenogears is an rpg that really blew my away(and yes it IS better than
FF7!).
That is only because FFVII is only FF6 in 3d and the game was sappose to take place in Midgar. Personally I have been playing around with the game for awhile and it seems to be a run of the mill commercial post apocolyptic future perfect RPG. What is so diffrent and great about the game. Far East Of Eden and Grandia is much better games and series from my observation.

Now before anyone goes to bash my rpg choice
BASH!!!!!

smash_medium.png

http://www.flickr.com/photos/elestratografico/sets/72157601972764410/

cb_sound3.gif

, know that I have played all the FF games, chrono trigger, earthbound, secret of mana, and many many many more role playing games.
Really...

Xenogears is one of the elite.
How so?????!!!?!!????

What about everyone else out there? What do you call the best game EVER made?
Now merge the topics.

PS- RPG are the best games! PERIOD!
The turth is SNES is the RPG king and will allways be. PSX just had high use of
3d in it's RPG games. The Saturn is probably the next best thing along with the original NES and PCE. running in the back. Never the Genesis since it is known for it's action titles.

[quote name='Redie']
hjjjit2.jpg

Really O. M. Gsh!!!!!!111![/quote]

The thing is mini games along with action/adeventure games ( including comic games ) will allways be the best period.

I was going to describe a whole bunch of games but I will just do one per weekly

Bomberman -
Even after the Uni-bomber, the Twin Towers bombing people will still continue to say BLOW ME SILLY, BLOW ME HARD, I BLEWED U T KINGDOM COME. I WILL MAKE U XPLODE and other words. Bomberman reaching it's peak on the N64 was a something to admire and play. The series is perfected beyond it's years. In fact I am listening to the Second Attack right now.

M.U.L.E.

most of you are probably too young to remember this classic. it was released 25 years ago. it was a commador 64 title.

I bet if you searched IGN or Gamespot you could see their top 100 games list and most likely everyone here will name something there whatever rank it is for whatever reasons.

Tetris is a game that makes sense however as its one that can be played everyday and enjoyed easily.

FF III (6) on SNES beats FFVII anyday.

nice post Redie.

Any Fallout game (with the exception of the PS2/XBOX fiasco) or wait for it:

The bards tale for apple II......man I'm getting old

And I'll give another nod to M.U.L.E

Hmm, I would probably agree with Tetris. That makes perfect sense to me. I can't say I met someone who said they specifically hate Tetris. It just seems like the game that can reach the broadest audience.

I hate such subjective questions, but I'll try.

Best Game: Tetris

*really the best game*: Tetris Attack/Panel De Pon/Pokemon Puzzle League/Planet Puzzle League

Best non puzzle game: Startropics

Just my opinion.

If you are in a legitimate quest for the best game, it would have to be a game that would appeal to everyone. I know several people who would never play a Final Fantasy game. So, immediately, it'd be out of the running. I love Final Fantasy VII, don't get me wrong.

[quote name='dastly75']Realistically , probably Tetris.[/quote]

Can't argue with that one either. I've spent alot of time trying to beat my high score.

There is no universal best game ever. You can't please everyone without compromise. You could pick the game with the most universal appeal, and that would undoubtedly be Tetris, but I wouldn't consider it my favorite game ever. For me it's a fun, though only mildly entertaining, occasional diversion.

I have a hard time picking favorites, but right this moment I'd probably say it was Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, because that was a game that really surprised me with how much I enjoyed playing it. I was expecting it to be a chore (just helping my kids play it), and I ended up really loving it. I think I was the one always pushing them to play it some more. Fantastic game, but not universally appealing.

^agreed about the no universal good game

Tetris has the best lasting appeal, but my favorite game is METAL GEAR SOLID. I just played it for the first time about a month ago. Beat it in record time (in comparison to how long I take for other games) because I loved it so much. Everything about it was so perfect. This isn't nostalgia, I played it for the first time like a month ago. If you haven't played it, give it a shot.

This is like asking what's the greatest movie or album ever. It's completely subjective and different for everyone.

Tetris is a great answer. I think Super Mario Bros is another. SMB sold the NES and brought console gaming back from the great crash of the mid 80's. It ranks right up there with Teris and Pacman/Ms.Pacman as games everyone, even non-gamers know and fondly remember.

Yeah, gotta agree with Tetris. There are games that maybe I liked better personally (like Match Day 2 for the Spectrum - damn I played that game a LOT as a kid) but overall, you can't really beat Tetris.

i also played MGS first time several months ago and it was pretty amazing.

i'm going with chrono trigger. probably the most fun i've had playing a game. and i played it in the PS2/GC/Xbox era so age did nothing to diminish its pleasure

I agree that Tetris may be the most realistic, as it is a different game each time, and may possbily be the most replayable game in history.

I can also see Starcraft because the game offers so much strategy and balance (along with online play) that it may be the best multiplayer game ever.

For me, my favorite game of all time is easily Final Fantasy VI. I did like Xenogears, however, Xenogears really falls apart, IMO, in disc 2, with the player only playing main events and being told the story instead of playing the story. Final Fantasy VI, for me at least, offers a very emotional story that once you get through part 1, gives you an open-ended adventure in part 2 where you more or less have the freedom to do what you want and see what you want. VII overshadows it for many reasons, however, VI does what VII tried to do. Sephiroth was a badass, no doubt, but Kefka destroyed a planet and a species. If you have a weekend and $20 to buy it one PSOne and GBA, play it. It holds up very well today.

and for bonus points, play Final Fantasy IV, would be as good of VI if it wasn't so linear.

cps2's-appleidog;4430663 said:
sorry for 3d it is mario 64,and for 2d its vib ribbon or Super mario bros.

Nah.

For 3D it'd be Super Mario Galaxy because it's an obvious improvement to 64.

While 2D is Super Mario Bros. 3 because it's you guessed it, an mega improvement over super mario bros.

Both awesome games though regardless.

I always played Columns on my Game Gear back in the day a hell of a lot more than Tetris on my Game Boy. Anyone else enjoy Columns that much?

[quote name='Antic']I always played Columns on my Game Gear back in the day a hell of a lot more than Tetris on my Game Boy. Anyone else enjoy Columns that much?[/quote]

I did enjoy Columns alot but I think Tetris is a little more addictive. I never bought any games for my GameBoy after I picked up Tetris. Columns wasn't even my favorite for the Game Gear. Sonic takes that prize.

[quote name='daminion']M.U.L.E.

most of you are probably too young to remember this classic. it was released 25 years ago. it was a commador 64 title.[/QUOTE]

i played this on the NES with my buddy a few months ago.. it was kind of interesting its kind of like all the "auction/trading/stategy" of something like Catan or any MMO but in a game.. it was pretty fun.f

I am surprised that I haven't wrote in this topic yet. hmm.. usually the best game ever is one that I can play for a few years and not get old.. for the SNES era.. Super Mario World, NBA Jam, Super Mario RPG.. those games I can still play today.. PS1 had a lot of gimmicky games.. I don't like N64 games.. I don't know.. GTA games are pretty perfect in level design and just you can keep goign back to them.. GTA 4 will be in my 360 for a while.. even the multiplayer is pretty good.

Portal is another game that is great.. its perfect in that the key to the game is survival not killing things which makes it accessable to a wide audience and can be enjoyed by a large audience.. it has realistic physics and while the portal gun is far fetched in the game world it makes it believable.

its a tie between MGS 1 & Bomberman (the whole franchise) for me. i've enjoyed both and still plays both of them from time to time.

If we're talking old school arcade action, then my vote is for Elevator Action or Rampage. I loved both of those and would repeatedly dump no less than $5 in each during each trip to a local amusement park every other weekend. Of course, there was also another game, whose name I KEEP forgetting. It took place in a mine where you were a criminal running around in the mine tunnels and trying to get as much gold/money into a mine cart above.

If you're talking about the older gens of console gaming, here's my 'best' from each gen that I owned a console in:

Atari 2600- Raiders Of The Lost Ark
Nintendo-Super Mario Bros. or California Games
Genesis-Either Vectorman or the 'Strike' series of games
PS1-Silent Hill(no contest here)
PS2-Robot Alchemic Drive or Vice City(due to the 80's music, theme and so on)
Xbox-Fable
PS3(only have 2 games for this right now)-GTA IV

I'm sure my opinion on the last one will change by this gen's end, but for now GTA IV has kept me SUPER busy.

Although it just came out two weeks ago, I have to say that MGS4 is right up there. The game ties up all the loose ends of the past games, has amazing replay value and is extremely challenging, especially on the higher difficulty levels. The customization of weapons is also a huge upgrade from the past entries.

bread's done
Back