CAGcast #118: Wombat's Bad Fact Day

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
Shipwreck joins us live from Wombat's studio as we discuss the uphill battle facing some Xbox 360 exclusives, the music game explosion, new releases, the latest video game industry and shopping news, your CAGbag questions and much more!

Review us on iTunes!

[media]http://media.libsyn.com/media/cheapyd/cagcast118.mp3[/media]Download - 109 minutes, 44MB
[digg]http://digg.com/podcasts/CAGcast[/digg]
Past CAGcasts

Show Linkage/Notes (click the button below to expand):
Intro: Jet Baby (Parappa the Rapper)

CAG 5 Year Anniversary - NY Party Saturday, May 17th

New Releases
Xbox Originals: Stubbs the Zombie, Gauntlet

Tomonobu Itagaki is STILL a Hypocrite and can STILL Kiss My A$$
Warhawk Tournament

Wii Fanboy reviews the WiiWare launch lineup
Wired's WiiWare Launch Guide
One third of Japanese Wii owners have Wii Fit

Watch Kojima play the first ten minutes of Metal Gear Solid
Assassin's Solid is real
Firmware 2.35 now available to download at your convenience
MGS4 'Gun Metal Gray' PS3 bundle exclusive to Konami website
Microsoft's Greenberg Slams Sony's Promises

I Love You Curb Stomp
GOW2 details: multiplayer, vehicles, Carmine's back!
CliffyB: No party system in GOW2 would be "a pretty big f*ckup"
X3F Impressions - Too Human
X3F Impressions - Viva Piñata: Trouble in Paradise
X3F Impressions - Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts
Rumor: Spring update adds game installs, DRM fixes, "motion sensor" features
MS: Xbox 360 Sales Hit 10 mln in US
Microsoft: Oops, We Forgot About The Wii In Worldwide Sales

Target / CC / Best Buy Video Game Prices: May 18 - May 24, 2008

GTA IV Whacks The April Competition, Mario Kart Grabs Second
Game Informer reveals Guitar Hero IV drum kit
Konami's Back In Music Game With Rock Revolution
CBS to Buy GameSpot Parent
Acquisitions Cause $454 Million In Losses For EA In Fiscal 08

CAGbag

Digg the CAGcast
Digg CAG Foreplay
MySpace
CheapyD's Youtube Videos (Subscribe)
CheapyD's Flickr Page (Subscribe)

Outro: Intellivision II System Changer

Bonus Pictures:

By popular request, bjwoodruff's CAGs On News Theme Song
[media]http://www.cheapassgamer.com/podcast/cagsonews.mp3[/media]

CheapyD was right to call this show the "Wombat's Bad Fact Day." I think that perhaps Shipwreck's presence made Wombat want to "shine" more with his video game knowledge, but he sadly flopped. I love Wombat, but he's best at making us laugh and pointing out the often overlooked details. I'm glad he was better near the end.

The PS3 has outsold the 360 since winning the Hi-Def format war on a worldwide front. They are slightly ahead in the US since the beginning of the year, but worldwide they are ahead in Japan and have just pulled ahead of te 360 in Europe.

As far as the Nintendo Channels Cheapy, try CLICKING ON THE VIDEO, it makes them full screen.

ZOMG, Cheapy is a XBox fanboy while Wombat is a PS3 fanboy. I want to see an epic battle. Please don't kill me. ;)

They may just like to offer up contrasting opinions for the good of the show, it would be pretty boring if every time one of them said something the other would just agree all the time.

Although giving a lot of time to the Microsoft exec's stats and opinions was pretty worthless.

Hey guys I wanted to comment about the fact that your talking about the XMB. I believe the XMB is a issue of available RAM. The original footprint *how much RAM the console took just to exist* was, and I'm not bothering to look it up, 96 MB. The current footprint for the XMB is 72. It's an issue of shrinking down how much RAM the system uses in the background of everything so that the XMB can exist on top of the game and the software being used. I think the target is 64 to have the XMB run smoothly.

Peace.

[quote name='CheapyD']Bonus Pictures:
2487737971_21987feb0e_m.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Heh. The chubby 'un on the left in the red onesie is "Mario."

You *hafta* draw a moustache on that picture.

[quote name='CheapyD']Jacob (Ya'akov)[/QUOTE]
Nice. One of my old co-workers was named Jacob/Yakov. We used to call him the Yak.

So how does this work for Tai now? Is it inserted into his current name or is it going to be something that the Jewish relatives call him? :lol:

In high school I knew a lot of Vietnamese people with Viet names and some of them lliterally made up their own American names. Oddly enough most of them start with J and had Viet names that started with H.

From what I've heard, Matt Damon's likeness isn't in the Bourne game because he didn't want to do the Bourne character anymore.
In the middle of development, Damon made a comment like "I've ridden that horse as long as I can." Hehe... Guess I should listen longer. :lol:

And about the Warhawk tournament... CheapAssGamer is has a team set up, but we're still trying to figure out the GGL site... It has quite a few of us dumbfounded. :dunce:

And timed button pressing... Dragon's Lair anyone?

[quote name='CouRageouS']
So how does this work for Tai now? Is it inserted into his current name or is it going to be something that the Jewish relatives call him? :lol:
[/quote]My guess is that he will rarely hear it again.

How interesting. So your birth name and Jewish name aren't the same? David doesn't count? I was under the impression it was more of an equivalent to Tai having an English/American name.

Maybe you guys should open the next CAGcast with some Jewish music (Dradle song please) and have the first very Jewcast.

Also, Second Sight is an awesome game. Kudos Wombat.

As far as the Bourne game goes, I personally liked the demo. Also, Cheapy you called it the Bourne Ultimatum and lamented the fact they made a tie-in game way after the movie came out. Actually, the game is the Bourne Conspiracy and is a starting from the begining as a game series with heavy influence from the films.

Enjoyed Shipwreck, hopefully he can come back another time.

Also Cheapy wasn't as big a jerk to wombat like usual.

Between Cheapy completely botching the PS3 sales numbers and Wombat completely botching the Bioshock sales numbers, this should have been called "CAG's Bad Fact Day".

Can you please actually check the fact before you guys do a show?

As an aside, I completely agree with Wombat about Ninja Gaiden II's downloadable content.

Just finished the listening and maan did wombot get burned this one haha

I want him to do that grow he did in a past CAGcast again :D

According to Gamepolitics.com, Matt Damon wouldn't lend his likeness to the Bourne because he didn't approve of the violence in the game and wanted the game to more exploratory like Myst (!) with no violence at all.

Hence, the developer had *no choice* but to try and make a franchise of their own.

Cheapy said it was a "terrible idea", but it wasn't up to the developer. I think Wombat was right, that they tried to make the best of a bad situation. Too bad the demo sucked.

I am currently listening to the CAG cast and I have to say that I totally agree with you Cheapy about that first Chronicles of Narnia movie sucking ass.

If I had to hear that stupid little girl yell out, "MR. TUMNUS!!!!" in that limey accent one more time I would have gone bat shit crazy.

Just thinking about it now makes me want to jam my size 13 into her colon.

Wombat made several excellent points in this show (from what i heard so far).

he was right about DLC. it should definitely be something to make a game last longer instead of being released on day 1 to grab money from suckers.

and Wombat was 100% dead on about the Warhawk tourney DLC for loyal players. when Cheapy ignored his point, that was pretty funny. c'mon Cheapy, give Wombat a break. lol...

btw Wombat, i know, i'm a player ;)

Good show guys. It was good to hear Shipwreck on the show too.

I would love to see lots of pics and hear stories from the CAG party this weekend! Please hook us up with a little bit of both!

I wish I could find the "Georgia Breakfast at Morgan's in West Palm Beach" here in Georgia!

Any tips on where you've seen it in Georgia CheapyD?

Wombat, Cheapy asked you which out of the 3 systems offered the best SERVICE for DLC. Not which had the best game. Make sure you hear the questions. Cheapy, next time he goes off on a rant that isnt what you asked him, slap his fat face and sit his ass back down in the chair and tell him to answer the question. The 360 has by FAR the best service for this.

I really, really liked Shipwreck sitting in the third seat. I love Cheapy and Wombat but a lot of times on the show they get facts wrong. That drives me nuts while I listen while driving in my car. Shipwreck was on top of stuff this show.

[quote name='Tsiawd']Wombat, Cheapy asked you which out of the 3 systems offered the best SERVICE for DLC. Not which had the best game. Make sure you hear the questions. Cheapy, next time he goes off on a rant that isnt what you asked him, slap his fat face and sit his ass back down in the chair and tell him to answer the question. The 360 has by FAR the best service for this.[/QUOTE]

Well I did answer that part also, about the pricing structure and drm issues, so you still lose.

WOW I can't believe you guys didn't like the Bourne game, I actually thought it was pretty good but I guess that was just me. Damon said he didn't wan to play Bourne in the game because he didn't want to be in a violent video game which is fucking stupid.

[quote name='dsingh2007']ZOMG, Cheapy is a XBox fanboy while Wombat is a PS3 fanboy. I want to see an epic battle. Please don't kill me. ;)[/quote]
Nah. They might have preferences but I wouldn't call them fanboys. Fanboys think that they're system is the greatest no matter what. Even when the facts are staring them in the face. I may not agree with their opinions but Cheapy and Wombat have said when other systems do stuff better.

Now if you want fanboys, listen to Sean "Rothbart" Workman on Sarcastic Gamer or Shane Bettenhausen on EGM/1UP. They drank the Kool-Aid.

Whoa, good show and GO WOMBAT! I don't know if it is something in water out in the 'burbs or what, but he has been on a role. I found myself siding with Wombat pretty much the whole episode. I also liked how he wasn't afraid to just call out/disagree with some of Cheapy's comments.

And my 2 cents regarding the consoles meeting expectations.
360 - pretty much met them, b/c it came out first, so I would argue we, as gamers, did not expect anything more than prettier graphics...I mean really, when the 360 was first announced, what did you expect. Realize now "expect" and "wish/hope/dream/fanboy-crap" are different
Wii - pretty much met them. Again, what did we expect--a good online service, a harddrive, mature games....no, we all hoped that would be the case, but did anyone honestly expect that?!?
PS3 - hasn't met them, but close. I, as Cheapy says and often mentions, expected Sony to take more from MS's 1-yr headstart. But really, looking at the launches of past PS consoles, we are getting about the same stuff...starts off pretty slow, lots of promises, and then slowly the console starts to deliver.

[quote name='banodyne']Nah. They might have preferences but I wouldn't call them fanboys. Fanboys think that they're system is the greatest no matter what. Even when the facts are staring them in the face. I may not agree with their opinions but Cheapy and Wombat have said when other systems do stuff better.

Now if you want fanboys, listen to Sean "Rothbart" Workman on Sarcastic Gamer or Shane Bettenhausen on EGM/1UP. They drank the Kool-Aid.[/quote]

agreed, they just prefer one system over another. Cheapy and Wombat rarely ever give super high praise to one particular system from what i've heard. they'll bitch about certain things and they'll defend certain issues, but they're hardly fanboys.

[quote name='Wombat']Well I did answer that part also, about the pricing structure and drm issues, so you still lose.[/quote]
I've never gotten a straight answer from anybody about this. How does the PS3 handle DRM differently? Because the PS3 doesn't have the RRoD problem, how many people have tried installing their downloaded content on a different system then the one they bought it on? The only answer I once got from a game site was "If you're online you can play the game on a different system." Well, yeah. That's how Xbox 360 handles it too. The issue is can they still play that game when you're offline. Anyone have an answer for sure that they did, not what they think happens?

[quote name='banodyne']I've never gotten a straight answer from anybody about this. How does the PS3 handle DRM differently? Because the PS3 doesn't have the RRoD problem, how many people have tried installing their downloaded content on a different system then the one they bought it on? The only answer I once got from a game site was "If you're online you can play the game on a different system." Well, yeah. That's how Xbox 360 handles it too. The issue is can they still play that game when you're offline. Anyone have an answer for sure that they did, not what they think happens?[/quote]

I had to send in my PS3 for disc read errors, they sent me back a brand new looking "refurbished" PS3 to replace it. So I just logged into the PSN and started downloading all the games that I purchased for the last one I owned which took a long time I had a ton of stuff on it.

From what I understand those people that "share" games on the PSN you can download and install your content that you purchase with your account up to 5 times (correct me if I'm mistaken on this guys). I'm not the sharing type when it comes to this because I don't think it is "right" to do but that is my opinion, the content is really not that expensive with some exceptions (warhawk, eye of judgment expansion, etc) again my opinion.

I hope that answers your question.

As for the CAGcast, great show guys. And the more I listen to the show the more I'm agreeing with Wombat. Nice to hear from you too Shipwreck.

[quote name='Nephlabobo']Between Cheapy completely botching the PS3 sales numbers...[/quote]

What exactly did I get wrong?

January
:ps3:269k
:360:230k

February
:ps3:281k
:360:255k

March
:360:262k
:ps3:257k

April
:ps3:187k
:360:188k

Please have Shipwreck on the show again, he was great. I really liked his point about DLC costumes being like buying the "Deluxe Edition". I never thought of it that way...

bread's done
Back