Photo
- - - - -

The General 360 Owners/Buyers FAQ Thread (Updated 1/15/10)

• Please log in to reply
7706 replies to this topic

#31 youinreverse

youinreverse

...used to be Bioshocked

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2008 - 08:30 PM

I have saved over 50 games on my Memory Card, and still have tons of room.

I got a used 120GB Hard Drive on ebay for $105.

Monoprice for the cable.

#32 Samus

Samus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2008 - 11:49 PM

I need a headset but for now I just need a quick substitute. I have a Blutooth Verizon thing for my cell phone, but no clue how to use it with the 360.
Rewards1: A website to get free, well, anything (with their custom prize form). For a complete, STEP-BY-STEP Guide, check out www.yourfreevideogames.blogspot.com for an explanation on how it works, why it works, and how to maximize your free items (along with a link to the site of course)!

My Trade List: http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=174700

#33 Haggar

Haggar

Mayor of Metro City

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2008 - 11:56 PM

You can't use Bluetooth.

#34 Samus

Samus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 May 2008 - 01:00 AM

Ah crap. Thanks for answering.
Rewards1: A website to get free, well, anything (with their custom prize form). For a complete, STEP-BY-STEP Guide, check out www.yourfreevideogames.blogspot.com for an explanation on how it works, why it works, and how to maximize your free items (along with a link to the site of course)!

#35 typeRJ

typeRJ

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 May 2008 - 03:28 AM

the only other thing that would help is if you find something with a 2.5 mm jack. your cellphone, telephone headset, etc might be possible solutions for right now.

i brought my 360 to my gf's house and we played halo 3 online w/ a few friends. forgot my headset and i got tired of sending msgs back and forth. used a motorola phone headset. it was pretty horrible...made everything sound bad, made my voice really loud and echoed whenever i spoke. but it worked for a night.

#36 Samus

Samus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 May 2008 - 03:31 AM

Where do you even plug the headset into?

#37 guinaevere

guinaevere

plays well with others

• Super Moderators

Posted 27 May 2008 - 03:38 PM

I have a gateway from ATT. I'm hoping to save a few dollars off of the wireless adapter ($100?!) by grabbing a ethernet cable.

Is there a good brand that's cheap? If I dont move the gateway (which I'd prefer to keep where it is), I'll need around 50 feet.
gwensigol8.png

#38 Mrcapcom

Mrcapcom

That'll be 60 bucks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 May 2008 - 04:15 PM

I'm not sure if this will help, but this is a MS support page on how to keep achievements when going from an offline profile to an online one: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940309

Thanks a bunch I guess I wasnt more or less concerned about achivements just if it would be ok if I deleted my profile on my xbox after copying it to the mem card or will I keep the profile on the xbox hdd and copy to mem card adn they just update each other

#39 LordVila

LordVila

Casterly Rock!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 May 2008 - 08:56 PM

1. Is there anything in particular I should look for on the box when I purchase the system?

2. Will a standard HDMI cable work with the 360?

3. Is there a particular HDMI cable I should order from monoprice?

4. Whats the best tennis game?

TheVila.png

#40 depascal22

depascal22

Daddy Fat Sacks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 May 2008 - 09:55 PM

1. Get the warranty

#41 LordVila

LordVila

Casterly Rock!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 May 2008 - 09:56 PM

Doesn't the system come with a warranty through Microsoft that covers the red ring?

TheVila.png

#42 guyjr

guyjr

all code and no play

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 May 2008 - 09:58 PM

2. The XB360 Elite comes with an HDMI cable. Not sure about the other versions.

4. I personally enjoyed Virtua Tennis 3, the graphics blew me away when I first got the XB360 last year (especially on a big HDTV). But the most fun "tennis" game has to be Rockstar's Table Tennis, which can be had for under $20 now. It's not much more than table tennis, but it is the best table tennis game ever made I assure you. :)

#43 The Great Muta

The Great Muta

Posted 27 May 2008 - 10:04 PM

2. Unless you buy an Elite bundle, use Monoprice for your HDMI cable. They are the cheapest and best, and their shipping is very quick.

3. By advice of other CAGs, for the 360, just get a standard HDMI cable as it doesn't particularly matter; though the length can be of your choice.

:mrgreen:

#44 Mr_hockey66

Mr_hockey66

Lets go pens!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 May 2008 - 10:07 PM

1. Get an elite
2. Elite does
3. get one thats for a computer. liscened xbox are the exact same but cost more
4. get vertial tennis 3 from target on clearence 9.98. ( I can still get one if you need)

oh yeah pm. I get lost on everything I responded to.
check out my tradelist :
http://www.cheapassg...mar-and-wwe-13/

#45 Unickuta

Unickuta

I do believe we're naked

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 May 2008 - 10:44 PM

Buy a PS3, or you'll be hitting yourself when Metal Gear Solid 4 comes out in about 2 weeks.

#46 LordVila

LordVila

Casterly Rock!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 May 2008 - 10:47 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. Going to hit up Target and TRU and check for some clearance 360 games.

Also I seeing mention of a Falcon chip in 360's now. Should all the 360's on the shelves have that chip now?

TheVila.png

#47 kennistond

kennistond

I'm so LOST

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 May 2008 - 05:13 AM

Does anyone know why I can't stream movies off of my 250GB hard drive when plugged into the 360 but I can with a 1GB?

Usually I stream from the computer but I can't when I take it in another room.

#48 Mrcapcom

Mrcapcom

That'll be 60 bucks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 May 2008 - 03:10 PM

Does anyone know why I can't stream movies off of my 250GB hard drive when plugged into the 360 but I can with a 1GB?

Usually I stream from the computer but I can't when I take it in another room.

Well what file system is the 250GB in? Usually if you have windows xp or higher the system when you format it formats in NTFS because its a regular hard drive which for some stupid reason the 360 doesnt support. Most 1 gb or for that matter usb keys are flash memory and the system auto formats that in FAT32 which is the only file system the 360 can read. Thats assuming that you have a 250gb hard drive and the 1GB is a usb key. Long story short format the 250GB in FAT32 you probally going to need to go to the manfacture of the hard drive and use of they utilities to do it XP and Vista won't format it in FAT32 there are some other utils I usually use MAX Blast

Anywho in reference to my question about the profile it seems the 360 won't copy a profile it moves it so when I get a mem card ill move my profile there and I should be fine with not having a doubel profile :-)

#49 Mrcapcom

Mrcapcom

That'll be 60 bucks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 May 2008 - 04:06 PM

Buy a PS3, or you'll be hitting yourself when Metal Gear Solid 4 comes out in about 2 weeks.

And then when you get your ps3 just for MGS 4 you will be hitting yourself because thats the only game you have.

Anywho

4. Sega SuperStar Tennis I rather enjoy playing that game

#50 PhoenixT

PhoenixT

This space reserved

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 May 2008 - 04:13 PM

no offense but not everyone is in awe of the metal gear series. I've tried a few of the ones for the psp their ok , nothing amazing , maybe the console versions will make me jump for joy like all the PS3 fanatics?

#51 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

Missed out on the Great Walmart glitch of 11/6 due to FLAT TIRE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 May 2008 - 04:22 PM

no offense but not everyone is in awe of the metal gear series. I've tried a few of the ones for the psp their ok , nothing amazing , maybe the console versions will make me jump for joy like all the PS3 fanatics?

Agreed... first it was Final Fantasy that everyone was raving about to justify the cost of buying a PS2 and now its MGS 4 for the PS triple.

And then when you get your ps3 just for MGS 4 you will be hitting yourself because thats the only game you have.

Anywho

4. Sega SuperStar Tennis I rather enjoy playing that game

No, there are other games for the Triple, they just either look worse on the PS3 (compared to it's 360 counterpart), buggy or have weird issues ...and oh yea... the BR drive is TOO SLOW to stream the data so you have to install 9.x gigs of data on to your hard drive.

I regret buying SSST for the Wii. Although it's fun to play with the gf, it can wear you down quicky and hurt after awhile.

#52 Mrcapcom

Mrcapcom

That'll be 60 bucks

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 May 2008 - 04:26 PM

Agreed... first it was Final Fantasy that everyone was raving about to justify the cost of buying a PS2 and now its MGS 4 for the PS triple.

No, there are other games for the Triple, they just either look worse on the PS3 (compared to it's 360 counterpart), buggy or have weird issues ...and oh yea... the BR drive is TOO SLOW to stream the data so you have to install 9.x gigs of data on to your hard drive.

I regret buying SSST for the Wii. Although it's fun to play with the gf, it can wear you down quicky and hurt after awhile.

I havent noticed anything that good on PSTrey other than MSG4 not enough to warrant me getting one just yet. I already have a 360 and wii ps3 would probally just be a glorified dvd player if I got one unless they start poopin out more exclusives. Whats this I hear no home yet either?

#53 Tha Xecutioner

Tha Xecutioner

"An Inquisition" You Say?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 May 2008 - 07:54 PM

great job Tha Xecutioner! :applause:

thanks for the mention for the RRoD FAQ Thread! :D

No problem. You actually saved me a lot of time by doing that thread and it looks like it's helped a ton of people out, so really the thanks goes to you.

Should there be a section for us lonely HD-DVD add on players too ;)

I just bought my first LCD TV last week and I heard that the HD-DVD add on player upscales the SD-DVD's, but when I put in some SD-DVD movies, my TV reports it as 720x484 (Where did my 2 pixels go or did I gain 4 pixels?) Or is this only possible with HDMI cables instead of component?

And maybe some insights into the remote control that comes with the HD-DVD unit.

I didn't really see the need to include the HD-DVD section this time around because it got axed, and the threads we had here on CAG that really gave good information for upscaling and general information about the hardware went down the drain with it. If there really is a need for that section to be included, I can maybe work it in somewhere. Most people just consider it a lost cause though since HD-DVD is dead :cry:.

I've had no problems with component cables and the standard DVD's being upscaled (though I haven't checked to see what my TV reported the resolution being), and it sounds like you actually gained 4 pixels with your problem.

What did you specifically want mentioned about the HD-DVD remote?

0sm4.png

#54 benjamouth

benjamouth

It's a Bobby Dazzler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 May 2008 - 01:30 AM

Has anyone had a problem where their 360 suddenly stops connecting to their Media Centre PC?

I had mine set up beatifully so the PC was a source for the videos and the folders I had set up as Libraries where all displayed correctly.

But now every time I go to the videos section it says it can't connect to the PC, I can connect to it through Media Centre but if I try and watch videos there I get an error saying something about "The software required to watch video is not working correctly".

It's not a problem with the network connection cos I can run the test and that all comes out fine.

I had it all set up perfectly but now the damn 360 refuses to connect to the PC, anyone have a solution to this ?

MST3K.gif

the+Woodmeister.pngr3jm5K2gQUCv3J-E0gqcBQ2.gif

#55 LordVila

LordVila

Casterly Rock!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 May 2008 - 01:51 AM

What happens if you disconnect while downloading a title from the marketplace?

Do you have to start over on the download? Or do you continue downloading from where you were?

TheVila.png

#56 dkreegz515

dkreegz515

Dave "Drama" Kreegz

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 May 2008 - 05:29 AM

i bought 3 1600 point cards at target the other day, now i have no clue what games to buy with them, i have geometry wars, uno, cassaronie--freebee, and undertow--freebee...

i was looking at the comando game thats coming soon, probably gonna get it.

are there any other games to get that are great. dont really want any single player games, just some 20 min of multiplayer stuff.
i forget the games name... but there was some futuristic shooter that went with techno music, anyone knows the name let me know, i heard its awesome.

thanks --- a guy who has too many xbox live points

P.S. i have the cod4, halo3, gh2+3 DL content
Posted Image

#57 Dezuria

Dezuria

Loading, please wait...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 May 2008 - 05:31 AM

This is an easy one. Download lots and lots of demos, then unlock the ones you like. ;)

#58 Rig

Rig

Rig = Lunar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 May 2008 - 05:41 AM

The game you were thinking of (futuristic shooter) is Rez.

#59 ZerotypeX

ZerotypeX

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 May 2008 - 05:43 AM

wait for Castle Crashers if you like side scrolling beat'em ups
Currently Playing:
with myself

Posted Image

#60 Danil ACE

Danil ACE

Posted 30 May 2008 - 05:44 AM