Photo
- - - - -

The General 360 Owners/Buyers FAQ Thread (Updated 1/15/10)

• Please log in to reply
7706 replies to this topic

#7651 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:16 PM

Do old xbox free trials work on xbox live? I have 3 of them sealed from old xbox games (2 month trials)

#7652 lordopus99

lordopus99

Training for the silver

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:44 PM

So I have almost maxed my 120GB fat xbox 360... would it be cheaper/better to just upgrade to the slim xbox to get a larger hard drive or is there a different method you recommend?

#7653 Renegade Moose

Renegade Moose

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:54 PM

Do old xbox free trials work on xbox live? I have 3 of them sealed from old xbox games (2 month trials)

They typically have an expiration date and usually only work for new accounts.
Posted Image

#7654 J7.

J7.

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:27 AM

You might be able to get something out of them by contacting Xbox customer support.

So I have almost maxed my 120GB fat xbox 360... would it be cheaper/better to just upgrade to the slim xbox to get a larger hard drive or is there a different method you recommend?

Perhaps a gamestop refurb drive?

#7655 leung19

leung19

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:29 AM

I'm finally upgrading from white fat 360 to the new slim, and just bought a 3 months gold code last week.

I'm sure this question have ask b4, but once i get my new slim. what do i need to do to make sure my current 3 months gold pass would transfer to my new xbox?

thanks
Check out my Trade List!!!!
http://www.cheapassg...858#post4458858

#7656 Only One Haze

Only One Haze

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:47 AM

Pretty sure its tied to your name and not the console. Once you download your profile the 3 months should still be there.

#7657 leung19

leung19

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:06 PM

Pretty sure its tied to your name and not the console. Once you download your profile the 3 months should still be there.

So if i transfer my profile to new xbox with USB, i should be fine right?
Check out my Trade List!!!!
http://www.cheapassg...858#post4458858

#7658 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:32 PM

Yes. It's definitely associated with your gamer tag and not a particular console.

#7659 Danimal

Danimal

CheapAssing it Since 2003

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:32 PM

I could use some advice on getting a new HDD. I know there's been a bit of HDD discussion already on this page, but I'm wondering about what to get my son for Christmas. He inherited my old 20GB original 360 for his room when I upgraded to a 250GB Slim a while back. His is filled and he wants more space. I always thought non-MS branded stuff wouldn't work, but lots of customer reviews on Amazon make it sound like they do. I'd trust opinions here more than there, though.

Any particular off-brands known to be more or less reliable than others? Anything else I should know? Thanks for any help.
Posted Image

#7660 J7.

J7.

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:49 PM

You can get banned in some way, whether that be your console or your account, for non-MS hard drives I've heard, not sure though.

#7661 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:41 AM

From what I understand there is no banning for 3rd party HDDs, but you will not be able to play Xbox Original (meaning, the original Xbox) games if you have a 3rd party HDD. If this isn't an issue for you then it's not a bad way to go.

#7662 Danimal

Danimal

CheapAssing it Since 2003

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:23 AM

OK, thanks. We don't have any original Xbox games, so that wouldn't matter.
Posted Image

#7663 kklems

kklems

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:49 PM

I have a hard drive question. I have several slim hard drives and one is full. Can I swap hard dives to store stuff and still be ale to play offline. Ie I know licenses are tied to one console but can that console have multiple hard drives and maintain licenses on each one? Now if you play an another console with your hard drive to sign into live to access content.

#7664 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:23 PM

I tried putting our main Xbox 360 upright. Yesterday I finally played a game in it and it sounds absolutely horrible when the disc is spinning. Brrwwrrrrr! I was scared it was going to tear the disc apart. Perhaps not, but it was sooo loud. Rearranged things and put the Xbox horizontal again and that fixed it. I'm curious if anyone else has noticed the same thing?

#7665 trunks982

trunks982

Wii are the Champions!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:44 PM

I see some 250GB slim hard drives on ebay for cheap. Are those any good? I assuming they are 3rd party hard drives. I want one for my 4gb slim 360. Thanks.

#7666 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:53 PM

Well, you can't be sure what brand/model of drive is in them, but otherwise they should be fine. They will not work with Xbox Original games, without modification. Alternatively you could buy an internal 250 GB drive and a knockoff case for it, and make it yourself. The snap together cases are easy and work fine.

#7667 trunks982

trunks982

Wii are the Champions!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:11 PM

Well, you can't be sure what brand/model of drive is in them, but otherwise they should be fine. They will not work with Xbox Original games, without modification. Alternatively you could buy an internal 250 GB drive and a knockoff case for it, and make it yourself. The snap together cases are easy and work fine.

so it doesnt get me banned if i do that?

#7668 Chedeng88

Chedeng88

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:00 AM

I see some 250GB slim hard drives on ebay for cheap. Are those any good? I assuming they are 3rd party hard drives. I want one for my 4gb slim 360. Thanks.

Just go for a 320GB. Watch eBay listings and be patient.

I just got a genuine Microsoft one (the one that comes with a downloadable Lego Star Wars 3 game) bnew and sealed on eBay for $75 shipped. Just a few bucks more from those generic China drives.

#7669 trunks982

trunks982

Wii are the Champions!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:32 PM

If i do the license transfer, I can download games on both systems or is it on the newer system? i want it to be downloaded and played on both systems since they are going to be in 2 different rooms.

#7670 shieryda

shieryda

Opus Eponymous

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:23 PM

I highly recommend going with Eneloop AA batteries and a charger. They are the way to go. Get an extra set of batteries so you can have some charged and ready to go when the ones in your controller run out. Or four extra batteries if you have more than one controller. You don't really need more than that as it's unlikely you'd run out of power on more than 2 controllers at once.

Eneloop batteries are much better than standard NiMH batteries. They hold their charge for a long time even when not in use and not being charged.

I agree 100%.:applause:

Eneloop batteries rock. Skip the Duracells. Energizers are okay. I have ordered several packs of the Eneloops (we have a 5-year-old who has lots of toys that require the AA's, also), and have always been happy with them.

Get a LaCrosse Technologies charger. It has different modes for charging (lower amps means longer charge times, but makes your batteries last longer).

http://www.amazon.co...battery charger

Also, the charger should have adapters that allow you to transform your AA batteries into C or D-size batteries.

Those quick-charge kits are horrible for your batteries, and will severly limit the amount of times you can recharge them.

#7671 Spybreak9

Spybreak9

$$$$$ Game Scholar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:15 PM

Sorry if this is the wrong thread but, when will Greed Corp go on sale?! Has anyone ever seen this game on sale, I really liked the demo. I want to pick up the game but it's def a $5 game. This thing is still $10 and xbox.com says it was released back in 2/24/10.
N7_Spectres are not trained, but chosen_N7, Check out my personal Gaming 4 Life gaming blog for gaming talk.Spybreaker.pnguc.png
:D Destiny, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Sunset Overdrive, The Master Chief Collection, The Witcher 3
3DS Friend Code: 0903-2908-9378

#7672 KrizB

KrizB

Flrying into FWEE!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:04 PM

Found out Walmart carries 32gb Sandisk Cruzer Glide flash drives for $19.xx

Before I open this thing, does anyone know if they work with the 360?
(reading and writing, not worried about disassembling to fit slot)

Posted Image

Thanks.

zantar45.jpg

#7673 Crunchewy

Crunchewy

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:15 PM

I don't know for certain, but generally speaking Sandisk flash drives tend to be good quality, so I'd think it was a good bet. Can you return it if unsatisfied with it? I know Target will pretty much take anything back, but I'm not sure about Walmart.

#7674 KrizB

KrizB

Flrying into FWEE!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:22 PM

I asked and was told that they won't take it back opened, but I had 15 days to return it if it doesn't work.:-s
Think the latter part was the employee telling me how to get around the return policy.

Thats kinda why I wanted to check here first to see if the drive works before going back to deal with CS.

edit;
Opened it.
Write time is a little slow (+25 minutes to install 5.7gb game) but it has no problem playing games.

Not a fan of Halo, so I had to buy it for my nephew so that he could play Halo 4 on his Xbox (and not mine :lol: )

Edited by KrizB, 20 January 2013 - 04:54 AM.

zantar45.jpg

#7675 J7.

J7.

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:58 AM

Those quick-charge kits are horrible for your batteries, and will severly limit the amount of times you can recharge them.

Is it the actual play n charge kit that is the problem or the batteries MS supplies?

#7676 mojo_12345

mojo_12345

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:57 AM

i dont know where to post this but this seems to be the place to ask. i have a few 360's that have the same problem. i put a game in and it either says no disc or open tray does the lens need cleaned or replaced?
game addict :joystick:

#7677 sp00ge

sp00ge

Fluggaenkoecchicebolsen!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:43 PM

i dont know where to post this but this seems to be the place to ask. i have a few 360's that have the same problem. i put a game in and it either says no disc or open tray does the lens need cleaned or replaced?

Most likely replaced. I've had two 360s that have done that. Luckily, they were still under warranty at the time.

Bored? Too much money than you know what to do with? Why not check out my Amazon Storefront? If you see anything you want, send me a PM! Make an offer, either monetary or trade! Over 2000 items, and more added daily!

#7678 mojo_12345

mojo_12345

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:25 AM

ok thanks sp00ge
game addict :joystick:

#7679 hotpocket

hotpocket

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:29 AM

Was wondering if anyone had any advice when buying a new HDD.

I have a phat 360 with a 20GB HDD, and I need more space. I already have stuff I can't fit. I'm thinking of either buying a refurb from GS because I have credit, or a 3rd party one from Amazon. Wanting either a 120GB or 250GB HDD.

Help?

#7680 Spybreak9

Spybreak9

$$$$$ Game Scholar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:56 PM

Hey man I have a 120GB phat 360 HD that's been wiped and just sitting in storage. PM if you're interested.
N7_Spectres are not trained, but chosen_N7, Check out my personal Gaming 4 Life gaming blog for gaming talk.Spybreaker.pnguc.png
:D Destiny, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Sunset Overdrive, The Master Chief Collection, The Witcher 3
3DS Friend Code: 0903-2908-9378