CAGcast #120: Pee Pointers

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
This week, we review Penny Arcade Adventures (360) and Singstar (PS3), discuss the E3 invitation process, gaming PR, new releases, the latest video game industry and shopping news, your CAGbag questions and much more!

Review us on iTunes!
Catch CheapyD Monday Evenings on ScrewAttack's Hard News

[media]http://media.libsyn.com/media/cheapyd/cagcast120.mp3[/media]Download - 110 minutes, 44MB
[digg]http://digg.com/podcasts/CAGcast[/digg]
Past CAGcasts

Show Linkage/Notes (click the button below to expand):

Bonus Picture:

By popular request, bjwoodruff's CAGs On News Theme Song
[media]http://www.cheapassgamer.com/podcast/cagsonews.mp3[/media]

[quote name='KingBroly']Cheapy looks high in that picture. Did he have any brownies before taking that pic?[/quote]
Those days are long behind me.

[quote name='CheapyD']Those days are long behind me.[/quote]

Then it must not be a very good game. Your face looks dazed and disgusted.

Why is CheapyD surprised that the publishers control E3? The publishers pretty much control the media more than any other type of entertainment I can think of because the press needs early review copies, access to previews, access to interview, advertisments, etc. TV and movies will pretty much blow anyone with a camera, a mic and a time slot at anytime. I've never heard of Warner Bros. telling a respected critic to fuck off because they gave Shriek three 1 star. The worst they do is not show the movie to all critics before the opening weekend.

P.S. Great show, haven't laughed that hard during a CAGcast in awhile.

You haven't seen the video from a previous press conference about being able to take pics with your cell phone and send the pic to your apartment in Home? Phil Harrison took a pic of the crowd and it showed up in the game a few seconds later? It may not be in the first edition of Home, but it's one of the things they've got it in the works.

on the customer service thing,
I had been in china for about 3 weeks and on a lark decided to go to mcdonalds. everything went just as it would here, but when i got up to throw out my garbage, one of the workers came and grabbed the tray out of my hand and threw it out for me. I was surprised.

As I have said before I am a Circuit City employee, and I worked in the games section for a long time. It took a very long time to explain to your average person the differences between all the 360 versions. And even some regular gamers needed a bit of info.

and....there's the gaybot joke. Cheapy has officially made this one the most offensive CAGcast of all time. Wow. I thought about turning it off at the urinal part, but I thought it'd go up from there, but it obviously went the other way.

I really think Cheapy has a checklist of offensive jokes he needs to cover. If he misses one, it must sadden him greatly.

Seriously, funny as hell.

Yeah the urinal game has been in dev for a good 3 or 4 years now. They were testing with hand help water guns that are similar to the 2 handed box-gun things they have at carnivals. But id love to see this in production at like a dave and busters where alot of urinal action would be present.

I've found Penny Arcade Adventures to be funny, not really laughs throughout, but there are funny situations, dialog, and characters, too. While the initial story isn't carried through the entire game, it does show back up at the end when they show the preview for the next episode along with the hint to what it's about, which has me very interested in what they do for the second episode.

The thing I like about Singstar's interface is that you can hop around quickly with the press of the start button, say from the SingStore directly to the game modes and then back to the My SingStar Online community and then check your PSN friends list from there, too. It's a very well-designed game.

Good show. Far less controversial and full of "facts" than previous episodes, at least from what I caught. It's good to see that you gave the SModcast another shot, Wombat.

Good show so far. Ya, I used to work at a supermarket in high school and the first year of college, so I'm about 4 years out of that position.

And yes, I did go on competitions for being so fast, and I won a few 100 dollars the last month I worked for them at a national competition, but that was only because my store was bought out about 3 months before I left and added the new competitions for speed and accuracy on the register.

I did not get to go on Supermarket Sweep, though I did spend a lot of time talking to customers about the show, and how I thought their cashiers had the easiest job in the world (they check out one person every day).

2536316266_2ecd132ab8_o.jpg

Cheapy, i worked as a freelance web designer and that guy cannot ask you for the remaining balance if he didn't finish the project. that's what a deposit is for. he should be lucky that he got some money from it cuz i've done a few projects where i did mock-ups for free. btw, did you work under some written contract? cuz if the deal is done under a verbal agreement, then i'm not sure he can sue you for the remaining balance.

if you ever need another freelance designer or artist, hit me up. ^_^

Wombat, as for the Warlords discussion, i bought the CoD4 maps just to play with you and the other CAGs. i don't think i would've gotten them if it weren't for you bastards :p

[quote name='CheapyD']

Bonus Picture:

[/quote]

"I can beat this fool without even looking"

Good show guys, thanks for the extra stimulus during my gaming sessions.

Sounds like Penny Arcade Sucks

CheapyD, Are you getting Metal Gear Solid 4 on Release Date sounds like you're not really a big fan of the series

cheapy and wombat mentioned the PA game not making them laugh out loud. i'd just like to point out that i don't think i've busted a gut while playing the game, but it does have good chuckle moments and plenty of moments where you laugh inside. I think cheapy is on point with the price point though. I don't regret my $20 purchase, but it probably really should be between 10 to 15. When the next episode is released at $20 i will hesitate to buy it unless i hear that it is much greater than the first episode. What the Arcade needs is Sam and Max!

The CAG cast is great and so are the Shipwrecks, but what other podcast are good to listen. i like the giant bomb cast, 1 up, invisible walls, and maybe 1 or 2 more that i can't recall now, but are there any others that ya'll listen?

[quote name='aknowlesjr']The CAG cast is great and so are the Shipwrecks, but what other podcast are good to listen. i like the giant bomb cast, 1 up, invisible walls, and maybe 1 or 2 more that i can't recall now, but are there any others that ya'll listen?[/quote]

i listen to over 15 gaming podcasts alone. keeps me pretty much updated on everything in the gaming world and helps me get through the work week, lol...

Good episode yet again!

You guys never disappoint me, keep up the good work.

Also, as far as the CAG 2.0 design, you could run a contest on here right? The winner could maybe get an Autographed Picture of Cheapy D and/or Wombat. I still am a little bummed I can't be the CAG Platinum member to get that photo to hang in my house.

Thanks!

CDRober

I don’t get all the Guitar Hero: World Tour hate. There are a plenty of reasons to be excited for the game.

1.) The create-a-song mode
2.) Red Octane makes better hardware.
3.) The Drums are much better and more realistic.
4.) As a Wii owner, I won’t be getting a gimped version
5.) Guitar Hero is still really popular and people can just buy Drums/ Mic. It was actually Rock Band that forced you to buy all new equipment.

And where does Wombat get the ego?? “If both agree it is a bad idea, then it’s a bad idea” Excuse me? Is your blog -which, I hate to break it to you, is just like every other game blog- going to your head? (Nice to see CheapyD wasn't buying it)

I think the reason Cheapy looks high is cause he has to take care of a kid. It tires you out people.

In reagrds to the urinal games, I forsee a few problems.
1. Stream consistency/duration. Kinda hard to race someone else if you start at different times, don't have to go as much as them, or have a smaller bladder.
2. Stuff in bathrooms gets broken all the time, by either vandals or drunk people.
3. With everygame theres always that weird guy who spends all day next to it challanging people to play just so he can feel superior. I don't want to meet the guy who masters these games.
4. If you say "Hey I'm going to the bathroom. You wanna play a round?" they might get the wrong impression.

Great show this week dudes. BTW Cheapy when I mentioned the PS3 achievements coming soon, I meant the 2D trophy system which I hear is coming with the next firmware update. Also LMAO at Cheapys Jamaican accent.

[quote name='usickenme']I don’t get all the Guitar Hero: World Tour hate. There are a plenty of reasons to be excited for the game.

1.) The create-a-song mode
2.) Harmonix makes better hardware.
3.) The Drums are much better and more realistic.
4.) As a Wii owner, I won’t be getting a gimped version
5.) Guitar Hero is still really popular and people can just buy Drums/ Mic. It was actually Rock Band that forced you to buy all new equipment.
[/QUOTE]
1 - This is their lazy solution to being bad at supporting DLC. Midi creating should be fun, be we'll still have to wait and see.
2 - Harmonix makes Rock Band. You are probably thinking Red Octane.
3 - The drums are not proven to be better, realistic maybe. They are both based off electronic drum kits and they come in many configurations.
4 - The Wii versions of everything almost always gimped in some way or another versus their HD counterparts. I'll guarantee something significant will be missing, be it the online or DLC department. Its always something. If there is a PS2 version of GHIV, it will be very similar to the Wii version.
5 - Rock Band doesn't force anything, you were able to buy a game only version for previous GH owners and the other instruments are available separately. GHIV is trying to capitalize on RB's success by forcing you to buy another drum set if you choose to play drums.

The negatively towards GHIV is certainly warranted. You are also taking Wombat's bravado too seriously. Though as the hardest working man in the game industry, he deserves to be a little cocky. Lately no one can take a joke in these CAGcasts and everyone wants to get offended. I can't believe Cheapy even got heat for his grandmother in law story. Maybe they should start clarifying when they're being facetious during the show so no one gets offended. Just play the achievement ding everytime its a joke.

[quote name='LiK']Cheapy, i worked as a freelance web designer and that guy cannot ask you for the remaining balance if he didn't finish the project. that's what a deposit is for. he should be lucky that he got some money from it cuz i've done a few projects where i did mock-ups for free. btw, did you work under some written contract? cuz if the deal is done under a verbal agreement, then i'm not sure he can sue you for the remaining balance.
[/quote]

Ask Kim Basinger about verbal agreements :)

Seriously though, if there was no contract for the work I think Cheapy is in the clear. Also it will depend on the law in Japan. But a verbal contract is legally binding from my understanding.

As a relative who is a lawyer told me, get everything in writing.

[quote name='LiK']i listen to over 15 gaming podcasts alone. keeps me pretty much updated on everything in the gaming world and helps me get through the work week, lol...[/quote]

Do you have any suggestions? I use these thing to get through my work week. Thanks.

[quote name='CouRageouS']1 - This is their lazy solution to being bad at supporting DLC. Midi creating should be fun, be we'll still have to wait and see.
2 - Harmonix makes Rock Band. You are probably thinking Red Octane.
3 - The drums are not proven to be better, realistic maybe. They are both based off electronic drum kits and they come in many configurations.
4 - The Wii versions of everything almost always gimped in some way or another versus their HD counterparts. I'll guarantee something significant will be missing, be it the online or DLC department. Its always something. If there is a PS2 version of GHIV, it will be very similar to the Wii version.
5 - Rock Band doesn't force anything, you were able to buy a game only version for previous GH owners and the other instruments are available separately. GHIV is trying to capitalize on RB's success by forcing you to buy another drum set if you choose to play drums.

The negatively towards GHIV is certainly warranted. You are also taking Wombat's bravado too seriously. Though as the hardest working man in the game industry, he deserves to be a little cocky. Lately no one can take a joke in these CAGcasts and everyone wants to get offended. I can't believe Cheapy even got heat for his grandmother in law story. Maybe they should start clarifying when they're being facetious during the show so no one gets offended. Just play the achievement ding everytime its a joke.[/QUOTE]

1.) Unlike Rock Band fanboys, I'm not writing it off. It could be very cool and it does add something new to the game
2.) You are correct sir but the point remains.
3.) Hitting a cymbal should feel like it. Rock band pads - not so much.
4.) There is a difference between gimping because of the system and gimping because you are too lazy to make a good game for Wii. Rock Band clearly is the latter.
5.) Rock Band didn't have free standing drums for months. (GH could be the same we'll see)

I will say Activision are being complete dicks for not allowing their instruments to be used by other games and vice versa.

Nah, I wasn't offended (However I knew a DoW wouldn't like the post: DoW= Defender of Wombat). I just found it funny that he has the last word on the game. If I thought he was being facetious, I wouldn't have mentioned it.

[quote name='usickenme']1.) Unlike Rock Band fanboys, I'm not writing it off. It could be very cool and it does add something new to the game
2.) You are correct sir but the point remains.
3.) Hitting a cymbal should feel like it. Rock band pads - not so much.
4.) There is a difference between gimping because of the system and gimping because you are too lazy to make a good game for Wii. Rock Band clearly is the latter.
5.) Rock Band didn't have free standing drums for months. (GH could be the same we'll see)

I will say Activision are being complete dicks for not allowing their instruments to be used by other games and vice versa.

Nah, I wasn't offended (However I knew a DoW wouldn't like the post: DoW= Defender of Wombat). I just found it funny that he has the last word on the game. If I thought he was being facetious, I wouldn't have mentioned it.[/QUOTE]

I was being facetious as I was making a joke about how we never agree, you just took the wrong way. Now I am going back to my vacation.

What's with all this Guitar Hero vs. Rock Band talk? Whichever wins out, Guitar Hero or Rock Band (or that other one that's not going to win out), I know I'll be rocking out with high-quality Nyko peripherals and I think we all can agree, that's what matters.

[quote name='Wombat']I was being facetious as I was making a joke about how we never agree, you just took the wrong way. Now I am going back to my vacation.[/QUOTE]

I appears I have. I got the point, it just sounded over the top to me.

enjoy the vay-cay

[quote name='shipwreck']I know I'll be rocking out with high-quality Nyko peripherals and I think we all can agree, that's what matters.[/quote]

Already the E3 conflict of interest begins:D

[quote name='shipwreck']What's with all this Guitar Hero vs. Rock Band talk? Whichever wins out, Guitar Hero or Rock Band (or that other one that's not going to win out), I know I'll be rocking out with high-quality Nyko peripherals and I think we all can agree, that's what matters.[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

Cheapy,

When Wombat stated, "You're wasting everybody's time"; I know how you feel:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4372110#post4372110

Over 100 views, and no responses! Well, I found the story amusing.

As far as the discussion of 'stagefright', I don't really understand. I hear some guys at the urinals piss about 2 oz. of water, and I think why did they even come to the latrine?

I usually wait to piss until I think I'm about 5 minutes away from spilling a half gallon on the front on my slacks. I can't get the zipper down fast enough. Maybe the problem with 'stagefright' is you don't really have to piss.

Anyway, great show gentlemen!

Ship: Is Nyko the new MadCatz?

Jeers to both Cheapy AND Wombat this week!

Cheapy brings up the 90 minute MGS4 cut scene rumour, which has already been debunked, and then proceeds to say "it wasn't the most *solid denial I've ever seen". (*Was Cheapy making a MG joke?)

Wombat says "Konami asked the Gamepro reviewer to say that".

Here's the exact quote:

"I've completed the game twice, and am the author of the forthcoming [GamePro] review," Shuman said. "Ninety-minute-long cinemas in MGS4 sounds like an exaggeration. Like the other MGS games, MGS4 definitely has a cinematic quality. And yes, some of the cut-scenes in the game are elaborate and occasionally lengthy. But not a one, to my recollection, even approaches 90 minutes."
"I think it's safe to say that the '90 minute cinemas' claim is a pretty big exaggeration," he told GamePro News.

I don't see how it can get much more definitive than that.

How about you guys comment an actual news rather than just continue to perpetuate rumours that aren't true?

bread's done
Back