Is it "wrong" to create an account for a region in which you're not located?

Maklershed

CAGiversary!
Feedback
77 (100%)
I know dvd and game publishing companies are usually strict about region locking/protecting their stuff. So I'm wondering, is it in any way immoral to create, for example, a Japanese PSN account?

Could someone point me to a good tutorial on how to create a Japanese account?

I'm using this but I'm not understanding the email part. :/

[quote name='chakan']No, it just means you hate America. Why do you hate America? ;)[/quote]

Reality shows.

[quote name='mtxbass1']What exactly is wrong with checking out another regions content?[/quote]

I have no idea. I've often wondered why dvds and games are region locked. Or why someone like Cheapy for example can't use his American XBL account in Japan.

I thought games were originally region locked to discourage pirating. I'm just glad that Sony decided to do away with it this generation.

Let's just say I heard a while ago that Sony Computer Entertainment was considering looking into what accounts are real and fake; however, they'd have to pay out a lot of money to figure it out. This just comes from someone at the PS3 forums who knows someone within SCE and warned us all about creating foreign accounts (this was a while ago).

I am pretty sure I read somewhere that one of the innermost circles of hell is reserved for people that do this.

Hell no it's not wrong. If anything it's lining their pockets. I downloaded EIGHT PSone classics from the hong kong store alone. Which is far better then the ZERO PSone classics I got from the US store. Behold what I bought from them in a few weeks

King of Fighters 97 and 98
The Last Blade
Raiden
Cotton Original
R-Type Delta
Biohazard 2
XI or whatever that game is
Dark Mist

If they wanted to shut this down, they would have already. But the honest truth is that people who enjoy fighting games and FUN make them look the other cheek otherwise those stores would be nowhere near as profitable.

Oh Mak, if you want Dark Mist for example, you can purchase Japanese PSN Cards from NCSX and some other importers, then but Japanese stuff in the store.

Yeah, the Battle Fantasia demo rocks.

There are other demos hidden on the store, such as Yakuza 3, Agarest Senki (2-D RPG), etc.

Sony doesn't care at all. They even got rid of the region coding on the uncharted demo when european users complained; even though they were in a different region. It's just done because of copyright and currency reasons.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Oh Mak, if you want Dark Mist for example, you can purchase Japanese PSN Cards from NCSX and some other importers, then but Japanese stuff in the store.

There are other demos hidden on the store, such as Yakuza 3, Agarest Senki (2-D RPG), etc.[/quote]

Cool. I got the demos for Siren and Battle Fantasia.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Oh Mak, if you want Dark Mist for example, you can purchase Japanese PSN Cards from NCSX and some other importers, then but Japanese stuff in the store.

There are other demos hidden on the store, such as Yakuza 3, Agarest Senki (2-D RPG), etc.[/quote]

Heh. Hidden is the word I would use when you can't read Japanese, took me like an hour to find the Yakuza demos. It's nice to be able to have these different accounts for different regions for stuff that is region exclusive or if you can't wait for a demo like Haze. And than be disappointed early.

Is there a way to purchase PSone games from the UK store? I want command and conquer. I can't use my credit card because it of course lists me as living in the US. I'm hoping there is some kind of work around I haven't discovered yet.

[quote name='Pratt75']Is there a way to purchase PSone games from the UK store? I want command and conquer. I can't use my credit card because it of course lists me as living in the US. I'm hoping there is some kind of work around I haven't discovered yet.[/QUOTE]Not yet. PSN cards coming to Europe is an I dunno.

[quote name='Maklershed']I have no idea. I've often wondered why dvds and games are region locked. Or why someone like Cheapy for example can't use his American XBL account in Japan.[/QUOTE]

here in france, GTAIV is 70 euros

if people could buy GTAIV for 60 dollars it would totally bottom out the market.

it's a manner of controling taxation and tariffs.

for example, in france, there is rarely huge liquidations on games, and rarely any markdowns - you pay retail almost 90% of the time.

Paco, what is the language presentation like on the PS1 games from the Japanese store? I'm assuming the menus and subtitles are in Japanese, but is the voice acting (if there is any) in English? I'm thinking of getting Resident Evil 1 & 2, MGS, and maybe Dino Crisis. I can deal with Japanese voice acting if there were English subs, but I doubt that is available.

BTW, you can find these cards on eBay in the 1,000, 3,000, 5,000 and 10,000 yen variations, plus they email you the code versus waiting for it to come in the mail.

[quote name='Duckbutt']Paco, what is the language presentation like on the PS1 games from the Japanese store? I'm assuming the menus and subtitles are in Japanese, but is the voice acting (if there is any) in English? I'm thinking of getting Resident Evil 1 & 2, MGS, and maybe Dino Crisis. I can deal with Japanese voice acting if there were English subs, but I doubt that is available.

BTW, you can find these cards on eBay in the 1,000, 3,000, 5,000 and 10,000 yen variations, plus they email you the code versus waiting for it to come in the mail.[/quote]

I haven't bought jack shit fr the Japanese store. I went to the hong kong store which is conveniently in English for the menus when surfing and looking at stuff. Plus they take American credit cards. Now for the games. I bought Biohazard 2 and the voiceacting is in English BUT all the text is in Japanese so can you deal with that? Most of the games I buy are fighters, shmups or 2d platform games. I know that MGS Intregal is in English, but I'm not sure if just plain MGS is in English.

The HOng Kong store still doesn't have as much of the PSone classics as the Japanese store, but they have a good amount of the stuff, and the store is in English and accepts American credit cards so it's a good trade off.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']There was no region coding on the Uncharted demo, it was a glitch that they fixed quickly.[/quote]

They fixed it because people from Europe complained that they couldn't download the demo from the US store. It doesn't matter whether it was a glitch or region coding; the fact is Sony fixed it so people outside of the intended region could download it.

Not before a ton of people thought the worst of the situation and wanted to rip Sony and Naughty Dog a new one for a simple mistake, which was easily fixable. Then again, that's mostly what you'll see on the PS Blog in the comments section anyway.

I believe so, as there hasn't really been any Sony games, maybe one or two third party games, that aren't region-free. Depends on the game for English subtitles, I know Insomniac and Naughty Dog created essentially one version of their games for all regions, so that it has all the various languages on the one disc.

It'll be download only here and in episodic format. The Japanese demo's text is all in Japanese though, right? It may be hard to play that if you don't read Japanese.

[quote name='Maklershed']Cool. I assume Siren will be released here in the States right? If not I may have to get that through play asia or something.[/quote]

The Siren: New Translation demo is up in the Hong Kong store. It's probably up in the Japanese store as well. I only played it for a few minutes, but the little bit I did see was creepy. It had english voice acting. I don't remember any text, but it probably was Japanese.

As far as the translations go, it's like Paco said. I've only tried Capcom games Biohazard 1 & 2 and Dino Crisis. They had english voice acting and japanese (or something asian) subtitles. The only draw back to that is you need the text in those games sometimes because you are clicking on objects and solving puzzles.

For $5 a game, I'm pretty happy with what I've seen so far. I'm much more inclined to buy PS1 games from the Hong Kong store than the NA store.

bread's done
Back