Longest you left your PS3 on

The Mana Knight

CAGiversary!
Feedback
41 (100%)
What's the longest you left your PS3 on for? For me, the longest I left my PS3 on for was 3-4 hours. I do fear leaving a console on for a while will break it, so that's why I don't leave my consoles on for very long.

About 4 hours...I baby my 60gig and couldnt find a save point in a PS2 game and just left it on while I went to a cookout/dinner.

Over a month straight folding when I first got it and had no games for it. I sold it so I couldn't tell you if that did any long term damage though.

I'm only comfortable with leaving it on 1-2 hours at a time (I'm O.C.D. like that)

[quote name='mguiddy']Six months or more... with maybe a turn off here or there for a few minutes.[/quote]

You're the only person on my friends list that I ever see online (although F@H is a good thing), your PS3's alwaysALWAYS on, I'm surprised it hasn't spontaneously melted or exploded yet. :lol:

Electric bill aside, it's OK to leave most computer-like electronics on for extended periods. In fact, it can be argued that more wear and tear occurs when the temperature of a device is constantly going hot/cold due to being constantly turned on and off.

One exception to this would be the 360 due to its heat issues.

On weekdays it'll be just a few hours, but on the weekends I've actually got up turned it on and then only turned it off when I go to bed.

I left mine on for a few days back when marten was having that Folding@Home contest. The other day, I discovered it had been turned on, but I have no idea how long it was on.

[quote name='NTolerance']Electric bill aside, it's OK to leave most computer-like electronics on for extended periods. In fact, it can be argued that more wear and tear occurs when the temperature of a device is constantly going hot/cold due to being constantly turned on and off.

One exception to this would be the 360 due to its heat issues.[/QUOTE]

This is very true. This is why overclockers are more concerned with getting a stable temperature than a low temperature -- a CPU that is 60 idle and 65 load will last longer than a CPU that is 20 idle and 55 load.

TMK, aren't you electrical engineering? Seems like you wouldn't be worried about something like that.

[quote name='Koggit']
TMK, aren't you electrical engineering? Seems like you wouldn't be worried about something like that.[/QUOTE]Yeah, I am (just got my degree too), but like GodlyOne, I'm a bit OCD and try not leaving consoles on for long periods of time after hearing about consoles overheating in the past.

I've heard of a bunch of PS3 consoles that broke from leaving them folding too long (like where a HDD failed, some got a yellow light of death, and one only got beeps). I'll even admit I cringe to see my PS3 left on for around 2 hours online, which the fans get a little louder (they aren't anywhere near as loud as my 360, but still).

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I've heard of a bunch of PS3 consoles that broke from leaving them folding too long (like where a HDD failed, some got a yellow light of death, and one only got beeps). I'll even admit I cringe to see my PS3 left on for around 2 hours online, which the fans get a little louder (they aren't anywhere near as loud as my 360, but still).[/quote]

:lol: I'm exactly like that, during the Warhawk GGL game my PS3 had been on for about 2 and a half hours and I felt that I needed to turn the PS3 off.

Off Topic, but I hope someone can help me here.

Whenever I put in a Blu-Ray movie in my PS3, It will play for a few minutes and then the picture will freeze, but the sound will continue on. When I eject the disk, there is some kind oily subastance that I can wipe off. When I put the disk back in again, same thing happens, just not in the same place. I remove the disk, and again, an oily substance. Did something break? I dont want to keep using it if it's going to dirty the lens.

Also, one of my PS2 games will not read (I have a 60GB PS3) Chessmaster. Does someone have that compatability link they can share? Thanks!

[quote name='Number83']Off Topic, but I hope someone can help me here.

Whenever I put in a Blu-Ray movie in my PS3, It will play for a few minutes and then the picture will freeze, but the sound will continue on. When I eject the disk, there is some kind oily subastance that I can wipe off. When I put the disk back in again, same thing happens, just not in the same place. I remove the disk, and again, an oily substance. Did something break? I dont want to keep using it if it's going to dirty the lens.

Also, one of my PS2 games will not read (I have a 60GB PS3) Chessmaster. Does someone have that compatability link they can share? Thanks![/QUOTE]Direct the question to this thread and the computability site is here: http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/CompatibleStatus

Sometimes a firmware does indeed make a game not work (even on 20GB/60GB consoles), so the list of compatible games might not catch it (if that is the case).
[quote name='GodlyOne']:lol: I'm exactly like that, during the Warhawk GGL game my PS3 had been on for about 2 and a half hours and I felt that I needed to turn the PS3 off.[/QUOTE]
Haha yeah. I was upset with myself once for leaving my PS3 on a bit longer because I fell asleep on CoD4 online.

my two year old always gets into the cabnet and turns that and my wii on when I'm at work, so I come home and get pissed

I think you guys worry too much.

Also Shadowkast, You really shouldn't get pissed about that. If little things like that set you off so easily, you may need to take some anger management classes.

I used to leave my 60GB on for weeks at a time running the Folding application. I had to stop because of the hit my electric bill was taking.

More than 6 hours but less than one day. I played assassins creed(just needed to beat the damn game) for 12 hrs straight.

Mine's been running pretty much non-stop since I bought it in July of last year, with the exception of power outages, and the occasional game.

[quote name='shrike4242']Mine's been running pretty much non-stop since I bought it in July of last year, with the exception of power outages, and the occasional game.[/quote]Almost a year!
I've been playing GTA IV almost all day!So around 4 hours.

Because of Sony's bad rep for poor soldier joints, I would venture to say that its better to leave the PS3 on all the time. No thermal fatigue that way.

[quote name='horrido']Because of Sony's bad rep for poor soldier joints, I would venture to say that its better to leave the PS3 on all the time. No thermal fatigue that way.[/QUOTE]The solder joints on the PS3 motherboard are actually quite good (better than previous PlayStation platforms).

I don't think I'd try leaving a DVD or game in for a while, since I do worry that may wear out the laser.

Well, I had a friend who left his Dreamcast on all day, and it broke, which might be the reason I kind of fear a console breaking when leaving it on for a while, so that's why I don't leave a console on for very long.

I don't generally leave it on on purpose, but it's not unusual that I forget to turn it off and it stays on overnight. Doesn't bother me to leave it on for extended periods.

There was also a while where I was leaving it on for weeks at a time doing F@H.

Use to leave it on for 6 or more hours for F@H, but then I started to notice the increase in my electric bill so now at most I leave it on for 3 or 4 hours when playing a game or watching something.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']The solder joints on the PS3 motherboard are actually quite good (better than previous PlayStation platforms).

I don't think I'd try leaving a DVD or game in for a while, since I do worry that may wear out the laser.

Well, I had a friend who left his Dreamcast on all day, and it broke, which might be the reason I kind of fear a console breaking when leaving it on for a while.[/QUOTE]

You are so fucking weird/odd.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']What's the longest you left your PS3 on for? For me, the longest I left my PS3 on for was 3-4 hours. I do fear leaving a console on for a while will break it, so that's what I do.[/quote]

#1:
facepalmkh63597957969-iaza.gif

Last year when I was actively running folding@home for the GameSpot folding team, I think the longest I've ever left it on was for like 3-4 weeks.

I usually only have mine on for 2-3 hours while playing a game or watching a blu-ray. I baby my 60 GB PS3. Now my computer on the other hand is never off, its in standby mode while not in use.

probably about 24 hours, the stupid blu ray remote turns on the ps3 with any button push, so I would sometimes bump the remote and not realize its on

Baffles me why I see people on Xbox Live with "Away for 2 hours" statuses, or seeing people here say they leave there's on when NOT playing games. There isn't a single benefit to leaving your VIDEO GAME system ON when you are NOT PLAYING VIDEO GAMES.

The longest I have left my PS3 on was about 2 days for F@H. A couple of months ago I would leave it on for around 24 hours and then turn it of for a couple of hours and then it on and start folding again. I don't expect anything to break but it does make my room extremely hot so it will mainly stay off from now until the end of summer.

Around 24 hours. Its so quiet I've forgotten about it being on.

I'd never dream about doing that with my 360. Hell I cringe when powering that piece of shit on.

4 months and counting.

It's constantly running F@H while I'm at work. When I get the chance to play a game I simply stop Folding and start the game. Once I'm done with the game I just restart folding. But yeah, I've never bothered to actually turn it off.

I have left it folding for a few weeks I think. But now I use it so often, there is often not time enough to get a whole project done before the next time I figure I'll use it.

I guess I could leave it on overnight, but I need it quiet and dark when I sleep.

I have left it on for about 24 hours by mistake, but then I played it for 2 hours immediately after that and no issues what-so-ever.

Imagine that, a game system that doesnt overheat.

18 months between 3 units (8, 6, and 4 months, respectively), with a total downtime of under 10 minutes total.

bread's done
Back