Star Wars: The Force Unleashed - 'Ultimate Sith Edition' Coming Holiday 2009

CrimsonPaw

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)

Features

The saga continues in Star Wars™: The Force Unleashed, casting players as Darth Vader's "Secret Apprentice" and unveiling new revelations about the Star Wars galaxy. Set in the era between Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith and Episode IV: A New Hope, players must assist the iconic villain in his quest to rid the universe of Jedi, and face decisions that could change the course of their destiny.

• The power of the Force: The core powers of the Force can be upgraded throughout the game. Use Force push, grip, repulse, and lightning in powerful combinations. Force grip an enemy in mid-air, zap them with lightning, then throw them to the ground.
  • Familiar and new universe elements: Interact with familiar characters such as Darth Vader and new adversaries such as fugitive Jedi and Force-sensitive Felucians. Visit locations including Episode III's Wookiee homeworld Kashyyyk, the floral Felucia, the junk planet Raxus Prime, and an Imperial TIE Fighter construction facility.
  • New technologies: The game debuts Pixelux's Digital Molecular Matter system that incorporates the physical properties of items in the environment, making wood break like wood, and glass to shatter like glass. The game also features Natural Motion Ltd.'s euphoria, a revolutionary behavioral simulation engine enabling characters to move, act, and even think like actual human beings.

Achievements: http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/star-wars-the-force-unleashed/achievements/

Just got my Game Informer mag last night and it looks like we get a new Star Wars game for the 360 console. If you remember E3 last year, there was some "closed door" footage that showed some Jedi just laying the smack down on the Empire:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6FbhqCnOvs[/media]​

Well, it looks like this November we'll get to play it; aptly name Force Unleashed, you play as the aprentice to Lord Vader himself as he trains you to overthrow the man who made him who he is. Set between Episodes III and IV, the main character (named Apprentice in the article but noted that this will not be the real name given) builds his force powers up as he hunts down the few rogue Jedi that are left in the galaxy.

From what the article says, they are using the same engine that Lucas Arts is using for the next gen Indiana Jones game. Since I can't remember the exact names I'll just describe them:

The first engine focuses on the enemy AI, allowing them to react realistically to their environment. One example given is that if a catwalk is collapsing, a trooper may grab for the ledge and attempt to hold on, if his strength is high enough, he may even pull himelf back up; if another trooper is falling, he may try to grab onto his buddy to save himself which could pull them both down. Another example said that a trooper was following the Jedi into a room intentionally designed with tons of crates. As the Jedi tossed crates at the trooper, he would duck and jump if he anticipated the objects coming towards him, but if he was too late he would pull his arms up to try blocking it. Also noted is that the trooper would get knocked off balance and would try to correct himself.

The other engine says that it will allow for real-time shifting of the enviroment. If you force-pull a beam from a catwalk (there was alot of catwalk mentions in the article) it would fall or break apart; if you force push a character into a stone piller it may shift a little or crack a bit, but if you throw a AT-ST cockpit into it then it'll shatter and the cockpit may dent a little.

All-in-all the game sounds sweet, but it also sounds like it's very linear and your Jedi freedom may be a bit bound. For example, they described one scene in which you fight against a Jedi that has a bunch of Rancors; in order to defeat a Rancor, you have to toss somthing at it to disorient it, then get close to it and have it eat you, then do a force power to explode it from the inside ... not sure I like having to kill something ONLY one way.

I really wish LA would bring out a Star Wars game in a sandbox environment. It'd be damn sweet to cross breed GTA with Star Wars to give players a deeper gameplay experience. Either way, I'm sure I'll be getting this game, from the sounds of it it'll be freaking SWEET!!!

Lucas Arts Force Unleashed Page: http://www.lucasarts.com/games/theforceunleashed/

IGN Game Announcement: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/764/764558p1.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Big Star Wars fan here, but...

...this'll probably be total shit. Prepare your "But a 5.0 ain't so bad!" rhetoric, kids.

I'm also guessing the (assumed) Wii lightsaber game will utterly suck because, well, they won't even have to try and they know it.

EDIT: For example, they described one scene in which you fight against a Jedi that has a bunch of Rancors

This alone sounds like a revenge fantasy that Ghyslain, the "Star Wars Kid", dreamt up while crying himself to sleep in his piss-stained bed.

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']
I really wish LA would bring out a Star Wars game in a sandbox environment. It'd be damn sweet to cross breed GTA with Star Wars to give players a deeper gameplay experience. Either way, I'm sure I'll be getting this game, from the sounds of it it'll be freaking SWEET!!![/QUOTE]

That would rule.

But the way this game sounds intrigues me quite a bit. The possibilty of what online multiplayer might be like is what is really getting me going about this title. I just hope they don't drop the ball on this one. I don't want another Obi Wan.

[quote name='danked']Euphoria[/QUOTE]
Endorphin?

That is a pretty sweet looking engine... even just in model form. Someone give it to a next-gen football maker.

No, that might make EA's yearly 'effort' actually great again. And of course the jersey-wearing sycophants would lament "But, yo, it just ain't Madden no more, dawg!"

[quote name='jollydwarf']No, that might make EA's yearly 'effort' actually great again. And of course the jersey-wearing sycophants would lament "But, yo, it just ain't Madden no more, dawg!"[/QUOTE]

Quite right.

I remember reading an article about the new Indiana Jones title, and while it sounded pretty cool, I've become rather skeptical of such "revolutionary" programming. The previews always start with something cliche like, "Picture this:...," and then when the game comes out you find it's just a few context-based animations that more often than not will happen no matter how you play.

But then again, what the fuck do I know. Every doubt I've had regarding anything with the 360 has been cleanly removed so far, and I would love for that trend to continue.

I thought Anakin(and the Empire) killed all, or nearly all, the Jedis in Revenge of the Sith. And aren't the only surviving ones at the time Luke and Obi-Wan? So how can one hunt a Jedi in this game, if there aren't any?

Well, I am probably wrong in my above statement, but I hope this game is good, with good multiplayer. If it plays like the Jedi Knight games, it should be good.

Edit: Woops, forgot about Yoda being a surviving Jedi.

[quote name='mrcheapo11']I thought Anakin(and the Empire) killed all, or nearly all, the Jedis in Revenge of the Sith. And aren't the only surviving ones at the time Luke and Obi-Wan? So how can one hunt a Jedi in this game, if there aren't any?

Well, I am probably wrong in my above statement, but I hope this game is good, with good multiplayer. If it plays like the Jedi Knight games, it should be good.[/quote]
If I remember correctly some survived and went into hiding (remember Obi Wan was able to send a warning message when they broke into the temple, replacing the message that was telling them to return to the temple), and Vadar was hunting them down and killing them between episodes 3 and 4.

I just hope the game lets you actually be dark side. You better not turn good halfway through or something like that. Let us play as a villain please.

[quote name='Kaijufan']If I remember correctly some survived and went into hiding (remember Obi Wan was able to send a warning message when they broke into the temple, replacing the message that was telling them to return to the temple), and Vadar was hunting them down and killing them between episodes 3 and 4.[/quote]

Yea, I am pretty sure you are right. I just haven't seen any of the movies in a while, and didn't pay much attention when I did watch them.

Well, hopefully this game will still be good.

[quote name='mrcheapo11']Yea, I am pretty sure you are right. I just haven't seen any of the movies in a while, and didn't pay much attention when I did watch them.

Well, hopefully this game will still be good.[/QUOTE]

I think we'd be ok storywise anyway. Anakin wiped out the Jedi on Coruscant (not sure if I spelled this right), and the Jedi Counsel, but there was definitely an impression that there were many Jedi. So, it would be unlikely that he got all of them (and Lucas likes to leave these parts of the story in between the movies, either because he likes to jump to new plots or to leave plot room for the books, etc (come on, Luke just showed up at Return of the Jedi as pretty much a full fledged Jedi, he left Empire as an undertrained Jedi wannnabe.

Man, I hope this game rules. I love Star War games.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I just hope the game lets you actually be dark side. You better not turn good halfway through or something like that. Let us play as a villain please.[/quote]
Don't worry, you play the Dark Side through the entire game from what I read. I totally agree, the way of the Sith is much better (Hell, Tie Fighter is still my favorite Star Wars space combat games).

The is right from the page on Lucasarts.com

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed

The Star Wars saga continues this November in Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, a videogame developed by LucasArts, which casts players as Darth Vader's "Secret Apprentice" and promises to unveil new revelations about the Star Wars galaxy. The expansive story, created under direction from George Lucas, is set during the largely unexplored era between Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith and Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope. In it, players will assist the iconic villain in his quest to rid the universe of Jedi - and face decisions that could change the course of their destiny.
As its name implies, The Force Unleashed completely re-imagines the scope and scale of the Force by taking full advantage of newly developed technologies that will be seen and experienced for the first time: Digital Molecular Matter (DMM), by Pixelux Entertainment, and euphoria by NaturalMotion Ltd. Paired with the powerful Havok Physics™ system, these new technologies create gameplay only possible on the new generation of consoles. DMM incorporates the physical properties of anything in the environment so that everything reacts exactly like it should - wood breaks like wood, glass shatters like glass, plants on the planet Felucia bend like plants on the planet Felucia would, and more. Meanwhile, as a revolutionary behavioral-simulation engine, euphoria enables interactive characters to move, act and even think like actual human beings, adapting their behavior on the fly and resulting in a different payoff every single time.

If I remember correctly some survived and went into hiding (remember Obi Wan was able to send a warning message when they broke into the temple, replacing the message that was telling them to return to the temple), and Vadar was hunting them down and killing them between episodes 3 and 4.

That's correct, and as this game proves, much of the "EU" material we'll see across a variety of media in the coming years will be how Vader relentlessly hunts them down across the galaxy, so that by the time the Tantive IV enters the frame in Episode IV, there are only two left. A 'midquel' era with no lightsaber fights would be one that doesn't make Lucas mucho dinero, and that clearly ain't happenin'. Hell, there could be one hundred or a thousand Jedi out there, for all we know. They will bend and revise things as they see fit to maximize fan spending.

I still don't like the idea of Vader having a pseudo-Sith apprentice to do his dirty work. (Although having Vader do fuckin' backflips and other Ninja Gaiden-y moves would really look silly, an issue that I'm sure heavily influenced the direction here.) The Jedi should die at the hand of his crimson blade, or by an onslaught of stormtrooper fire, or relentless bounty hunters. Also, it takes away from his discovery of Luke giving him the 'epiphany' that his dream of ruling the galaxy as a family could happen. But the kids love those anti-heroes and Star Wars needs its marketing meeting-born "Shadow the Hedgehog", I guess!

[quote name='jollydwarf'] Also, it takes away from his discovery of Luke giving him the 'epiphany' that his dream of ruling the galaxy as a family could happen.[/quote]
Not sure when it happens, but wasn't it eluded to that the Emperor expected Luke to take him out. I know in Jedi he said something to the fact of "take your blade and strike me down to complete your transition to the dark side". I don't know, it's possible that Vader was looking to train someone to help him get revenge on the Emperor.

The Emperor wanted Luke to give in to the Dark Side, because Vader was a shell of what he could've been thanks to The Duel. Vader at some point (for some, arguably from the fateful "What have I done?!" moment in Palpatine's antechamber/office) felt resentment towards the Emperor and felt like he could overthrow him. Both of them wanted Luke to off the other. As the novelization of Revenge of the Sith put it, "Treachery is the way of the Sith."

Maybe it's just my personal OT-loving bias clouding my vision, but I'd like to think that Vader never really made an effort to team up with one individual to possibly take down Palpatine until he found Luke. Besides, you would think that the Emperor would discover Vader's 'midquel' pupil one way or another, sooner or later, and have them both taken care of. With Luke, it was much muddier, because they both outwardly decided to coerce him to join them (see: the Empire hologram scene), while internally, they were both viewing him as the downfall of the other.

It's probably really tough to make an exciting game around Vader while not making him look laughable. I understand that. But concerning whatever 'apprentice' character ("Ya fried!") they've concocted, he or she is most likely going to be bland and utterly disposable. Hell, Vader pre-helmet was, as it turned out.

I would like to see a Jedi-in-hiding game set during this same timeframe (it's a big galaxy!) that makes you use your powers and lightsaber judiciously so as to not draw too much attention from the 'locals', but that'd be asking for gamers to show Patience, a Jedi-like trait, and that'll happen as soon as Lucas is asked to 'punch up' Josh Whedon's next script.

I used to look forward to all of your posts, but it seems every time you make a new fucking post my wallet is short money.:lol:

thanks for the info...and in regards to the trailer..WOW

[quote name='ryanbph']I used to look forward to all of your posts, but it seems every time you make a new fucking post my wallet is short money.:lol:

thanks for the info...and in regards to the trailer..WOW[/QUOTE]

QFT

The game looks sweet as hell. This holiday season is going to kill me. :p

I don't get it at all - its so over the top, its ridiculous. Pulling down an entire cruiser? Ultimate fan service? Thinking back to all the Jedi duels and "powers" in the original trilogy, such as Obi and Vader's lightsaber battle or Luke flipping out of the trap and Vader thinking "impressive" - that was TAME. It makes me think, if Lucas had the technology at the time, would he rethought the entire original trilogy to be more Ninja Gaiden-esque as someone already mentioned. Is the only reason Vader didn't still flip around in III+ because the visuals weren't advanced enough for the day? The special effects available at the time seem to have more of a sway on the direction of the action then the story. I understand that "force unleashed" suggests more power than we have ever seen before, but at this stage, its maddening. Apprentice my cheeks, every action shot from that game suggests he/she's the most powerful Jedi ever. Pass.

-Dr. Ugly

I absolutely love the trailer.......but doesn't it look strangely familiar to the trailer in the OP. The whole Tie Fighter destruction part maybe?

Seriously though, if they can make this similar to the KOTOR series than I will be sold.

Who is angry that they changed the release date to SEPTEMBER as opposed to April? I was looking extremely forward to this game hearing that it offers an experience similar to that of KOTOR (one of my favorite games).

People were expecting it in April?

Especially when the new animated series starts in August?

If there's one thing Lucas does well, it's marketing products so close together that you get caught in the frenzy and come home with waaay too much Star Wars related crap.

I'm not surprised. But I never heard April, I was expecting June/July.

But they must have a reason. If they released it in April, you would likely be very disappointed.

The pre-release was scheduled for mid-April before they postponed it. I hope, with the extra time, they insure that this game will be worth buying. I'm not a huge Star Wars fan but I absolutely loved KOTOR and after reading many previews this seems like it's going to be great. I'm probably going to forget about this game till about August now...*sigh*

I was initially disappointed, but the timing is probably better for me with GTA IV coming out around the initial date. I hope the polish does the game a lot of good.

Sucks to have to wait......but hopefully it'll be worth it....now give us KOTOR 3 already!

"Having a little trouble here" CRASH!!!!!! "Porkins" - Blue Harvest....

I didn't read that it had been delayed, but I'm kinda glad. Previews that I read said it showed promise but looked a little rough in terms of frame rate. This game looks awesome, but I'd like to see it live up to its full potential.

Great, thus begins the dely of all the good games to the same 3 month time frame.

Although honestly I think this game is being a little over hyped right now.

bread's done
Back