Book-Off in NYC now buying/selling used import and domestic games

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#1 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 June 2008 - 11:10 PM

I don't know if this interests anyone else, but recently I went to Book-Off (a used book/CD/DVD store located here, if you've never been there) to browse and noticed a sign by the cash register - they're looking to buy used console games!

Looks like we'll be getting another alternative for buying used games at retail. I hope they'll carry used imports as well.

ETA: Figured it was about time to change the title ;P

ETA (04/20/10): The store has moved! Book-Off is now in a bigger space at 49 W 45th Street, between 5th and 6th Avenues (and only a block away from Asahiya's old space, ironically enough). With the bigger space comes a bigger selection overall (though the Japanese CD and DVD sections feel roughly the same size), and there's now placards up in the games section with trade-in values for certain titles.

Edited by blueshinra, 20 April 2010 - 12:49 PM.
Store moved location

sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

:-({|=  The Video Game Soundtrack Deals Thread ~ Where and how to buy game music online. Oh, and deals, too!
:whee: PAX Prime 2014 Thread ~ It's that time again!

#2 pulsar0510

pulsar0510

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 June 2008 - 12:19 AM

That's awesome. Book off is a great store.

#3 whitereflection

whitereflection

Shake well before serving

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 June 2008 - 01:18 AM

They're going to have the games in the end of June. Also, they are getting rid of the point card.

#4 TomoyoN

TomoyoN

E=mc^2 PV=nRT 360>PS3

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 June 2008 - 02:21 AM

They're going to have the games in the end of June. Also, they are getting rid of the point card.

which consoles? will they be selling imports?
Get a FREE 360 Game - http://www.yourfree3....php?ref=234580

Xbox 360 100% Achievement Completions
Retail
-253-
Arcade
-90-

#5 whitereflection

whitereflection

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 June 2008 - 07:01 PM

They're accepting trade-ins right now, so I would assume all consoles. They're also getting shipments from Book-Off Japan, so they'll probably have imports too.

#6 Darkvash

Darkvash

Posted 19 June 2008 - 09:36 PM

I loved using my point card. Have you asked why they decided to do this?

#7 whitereflection

whitereflection

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 June 2008 - 10:07 PM

I did, and they didn't know either. If I had to guess, it might have something to do with Book-Off paying 100 million yen to publishers since their used book sales cannibalize the publishers'.

According to the employee I spoke with, they're getting rid of it in all stores, not just the New York one.

#8 trq

trq

I *am* the reinforcements

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 June 2008 - 10:15 PM

Hrm. I'll have to check this out for sure. Wonder exactly when in June this is kicking in...

#9 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 June 2008 - 11:28 PM

I did, and they didn't know either. If I had to guess, it might have something to do with Book-Off paying 100 million yen to publishers since their used book sales cannibalize the publishers'.

According to the employee I spoke with, they're getting rid of it in all stores, not just the New York one.

Good thing I used up my card awhile ago and never got another one.

Also, I didn't hear about that payoff. Was Book-Off sued or something?
sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

:-({|=  The Video Game Soundtrack Deals Thread ~ Where and how to buy game music online. Oh, and deals, too!

#10 whitereflection

whitereflection

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 June 2008 - 07:22 AM

No, it was just an offer on Book-Off's part when the publishers complained about declining sales. (The same companies have also been been trying to stop fansubs.) IIRC, they had trouble coming up with a name for this payment since they didn't want it to seem like a bribe or extortion.

#11 MarkMan

MarkMan

CAG TEKKEN MASTER

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2008 - 10:15 PM

The Book Off in San Deigo has a TON of used Japanese/US games... It's good stuff.

Reigning Super CAG Fighting Quiz Game Winner plus Alpha@ hyper-turbo.eXtreme!!!

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

SDTEKKEN - TekkenZaibatsu - Mad Catz - EVO2010

#12 superdry

superdry

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2008 - 04:36 AM

Nooo...I love using the point-cards. It was so easy racking up points buying some CDs and photobooks (and then realize how much money was spent just to get the max at once $10 off).

I was wondering when they were gonna start stocking used games. I can't wait. And, knowing book-off...you'll probably not get the best trade-in value. One thing I've noticed is that they'll sell stuff at around half the msrp which is why they don't give so much for trades (like US manga costs $6, but they buy back at $1).

#13 superdry

superdry

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 June 2008 - 08:46 PM

I dropped by today to see if the store was selling used games already. The sale of games wasn't ready yet.

They had shelves setup for the games and a whole slew of boxes in front of the shelves waiting to be unpacked. Unfortunately, in today's humid/hot weather, and no AC in the store, I quickly left.

An interesting note is that they'll be selling Japanese Xbox 360 games.

I'll be dropping by later this week to see what type of games they initially have.

#14 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

Look at that deal. It's so great!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 June 2008 - 08:53 PM

Book-Off? Sounds like Kinokuniya. I can't believe I've never heard of this store. Are the prices better?

Batsugunner.png

#15 whitereflection

whitereflection

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 June 2008 - 10:14 PM

A lot better, with many books only a dollar. Everything's used, though the majority are in immaculate condition.

#16 mang9432

mang9432

Bad Baby 4 Life

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 June 2008 - 11:59 PM

nice, i walk by here everyday on the way to work

#17 Darkvash

Darkvash

Posted 05 July 2008 - 03:42 AM

Anyone know if the games are in the store yet?

I think I'm about to call them up tomorrow morning to check.

#18 Darkvash

Darkvash

Posted 05 July 2008 - 07:11 PM

Well, I just came back from the shop and I'd have to say, they have a pretty impressive selection of imported titles. Wanted to get myself a couple, but could only afford one for today, so i got myself Gundam Battle Chronicle for the PSP.

The prices on the imports are pretty fair, good in fact, when you compare them to other places where imports are sold. I spotted a couple of Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy there. Overall, i think the American selection was rather thin. I'm sure they'll get more sometime soon though. Other than that, Nice. Everyone should check it out.

#19 richieyoo

richieyoo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2008 - 05:21 PM

What was the price range?

They do have decent prices.... but i've noticed them jacking their prices up a bit in the last few years. It used to be that everything was no more than half the cover price. Now expect to pay 6 or 7 on a book that might have cost 10 dollars.

Still a great store.

#20 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 July 2008 - 08:45 PM

I stopped by today. Pretty decent selection of mostly import games. By the way, they're on the first floor near the cash registers; also, they've moved the CDs and DVDs, but it's not as drastic a change as when they moved the manga upstairs.

As for the price range, I mainly looked at DS games; the lowest price I saw was $5, and the highest was $39. All of them looked like they were in great condition as well (at least going by the condition of the outer packaging).

Edited by blueshinra, 07 July 2008 - 08:48 PM.

sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

#21 richieyoo

richieyoo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 July 2008 - 05:39 PM

I stopped by there yesterday. The selection is ok I suppose. But the prices are a bit high imo. 40 dollars for used game, import or not is still too high for me.

Yes they did get rid of the points card. They took mine and refunded me a dollar for the card (although I think I paid more to get it initially) and 25 cents off for each stamp I had.

#22 whitereflection

whitereflection

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 July 2008 - 09:27 PM

Ha, so at least three of us actually went yesterday.

I don't recall the point card ever costing more than a dollar. I think it was even free several months ago up until they canceled it now.

#23 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 July 2008 - 05:15 PM

I went today, hoping to look for Japanese strategy guides like at Kinokuniya, but the clerk said they didn't have any... :(
I got a nice haul anyway, as there were enough JP comics to keep me satisfied for a while. I bought big volumes of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure and Fist of the North Star.

Checked out the video games, saw a particular game at an okay price.
Overall, I'm okay with this store, even if the english manga prices were a bit steep. I guess that's why I go to Strand.

Batsugunner.png

#24 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 July 2008 - 08:18 PM

detectiveconan: Sometimes they'll have strategy guides for sale in the section with the Japanese computer books (if they still carry them, that is...), but yeah, Kinokuniya's selection has always been better in that respect.
sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

#25 Trikip

Trikip

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 July 2008 - 04:32 PM

I'm going to NYC in August so is it worth stopping by there?

#26 whitereflection

whitereflection

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 July 2008 - 01:11 AM

Even if you're not interested in ridiculously cheap ($1-3) books, Japanese music CDs, or manga, I'd say it's worth a visit just for the aesthetics alone: the staff politely greets customers in Japanese and the store's design is very different from Western designs. The first time I went there I literally felt like I was on another planet, or at least another country, so it's interesting if you want to see what a modern Japanese store is like.

And there's the absolutely gorgeous Kinokuniya and the biggest library in the city (the non-circulating one looks like a museum) just within a stone's throw.

#27 dragonjud

dragonjud

Got games, but no time

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 July 2008 - 03:36 PM

tag for later

#28 anicomplex

anicomplex

Posted 03 August 2008 - 11:56 AM

I used to work here (and still do on vacations from school).

I haven't been there for a while but yes, we are beginning to sell used games. I can't confirm anything on the Members Card though until my friend comes home from Japan.

#29 eelsushi1

eelsushi1

CAG Veteran

• CAG Veteran

Posted 10 August 2008 - 02:06 PM

i went there yesterday. they had some nice import games, but they were from $29-$35. there were some strategy guides in the $1 book section though. also a wide selection of $1 manga

#30 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 August 2008 - 06:42 PM

Success! I sold some of my penny guides that were taking up room, and got them for a dollar each.
Now to find a place that buys them for more...

Batsugunner.png