Book-Off in NYC now buying/selling used import and domestic games

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#31 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

Look at that deal. It's so great!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2008 - 12:15 PM

Hmm... I found the prices on some of the import games reasonable. I got an SRW game for $12!
Now if I could find wtf are the strategy guides. A Japanese used book store should have 'em but no success...

Batsugunner.png

#32 whitereflection

whitereflection

Shake well before serving

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2008 - 10:49 PM

The strategy guides are on the shelves opposite of the last one (from the entrance, the right side of the store). It's on your left next to where all the cookbooks are.

#33 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 September 2008 - 11:21 PM

I think he's looking for Japanese strategy guides specifically...

detectiveconan I didn't see any last time I was there (which was about a week ago). Have you tried asking one of the clerks?
sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

:-({|=  The Video Game Soundtrack Deals Thread ~ Where and how to buy game music online. Oh, and deals, too!
:whee: PAX Prime 2014 Thread ~ It's that time again!

#34 whitereflection

whitereflection

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 September 2008 - 07:49 PM

Ah. I'm glad at least one of us knows how to read. Japanese strategy guides seem to be upstairs where the anime artbooks are, but the selection is pretty tiny. Offhand, I can only think of Melty Blood, Dead or Alive 4, and a few PS2 RPGs.

#35 themidnighter23

themidnighter23

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 September 2008 - 02:22 AM

the import games, are they playable on north american consoles or do you need to modify
where's my whiskey, Im bout to get tore up

#36 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 September 2008 - 12:17 PM

Most of the import games at Book-Off are DS ones (though they've been steadily getting more for other systems), which are playable on any DS in the world. Same goes for the PSP (for games, not movies) and GBA. Japanese PS3 games should work on American consoles, since they're in the same Blu-Ray region. Everything else, I think, requires Japanese consoles or a workaround.
sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

:-({|=  The Video Game Soundtrack Deals Thread ~ Where and how to buy game music online. Oh, and deals, too!

#37 denpanosekai

denpanosekai

Posted 08 December 2008 - 03:23 PM

Sorry to revive this thread but I bought a bunch of 3.50$ PS2 games, import and domestic. If you haven't been in a while, maybe some of the games you wanted have been given a price cut.

#38 Alpha2

Alpha2

Custom user Title

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 December 2008 - 04:35 PM

Anyone know of any import friendly PS3 games?

I was in there like a month ago for a few Manga and noticed some PS3 game boxes on the shelf out of the corner of my eye, but I was caught off guard by the casier tellingme about the cancelation of the points card thing (I hadn't been in there for months), so I didn't bother to check it out afterwards.
http://therealalpha2.deviantart.com/

Oh so now you are using intelligence and common sense to win the arguement...that's low man! This is CAG and you aren't allowed to do that.

#39 whitereflection

whitereflection

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 December 2008 - 08:03 PM

Sorry to revive this thread but I bought a bunch of 3.50$ PS2 games, import and domestic. If you haven't been in a while, maybe some of the games you wanted have been given a price cut.

What were the games you bought?

#40 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 December 2008 - 07:01 PM

$3.50?! Last time I bought a game from there it was $13. The more recent games run at least $20 maybe $25.

Batsugunner.png

#41 TomoyoN

TomoyoN

E=mc^2 PV=nRT 360>PS3

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 December 2008 - 11:50 AM

Do they have any import 360 Games? [PAL / JP]
Get a FREE 360 Game - http://www.yourfree3....php?ref=234580

Xbox 360 100% Achievement Completions
Retail
-253-
Arcade
-90-

#42 whitereflection

whitereflection

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 December 2008 - 03:23 PM

I just went yesterday and I didn't see any Xbox games. I do seem to recall that they did have them before, though.

#43 Nibi

Nibi

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 January 2009 - 03:42 AM

Was there last weekend, they had maybe 6 or seven shelves of games, not too much. I ended up picking getting Victorious Boxers (PS2) for 7 dollars. The store in general is great, the games area is a nice addition but probably not reason enough to go.
Current Hypewagon pick-
Spoiler

#44 TomoyoN

TomoyoN

E=mc^2 PV=nRT 360>PS3

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2009 - 05:25 AM

Was there last weekend, they had maybe 6 or seven shelves of games, not too much. I ended up picking getting Victorious Boxers (PS2) for 7 dollars. The store in general is great, the games area is a nice addition but probably not reason enough to go.

Did u happen to see if they had any import Xbox 360 games?
Get a FREE 360 Game - http://www.yourfree3....php?ref=234580

Xbox 360 100% Achievement Completions
Retail
-253-
Arcade
-90-

#45 Nibi

Nibi

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 January 2009 - 05:42 AM

Sorry, no import 360 games. In terms of Import games they only had GBA, DS, PSP, PS3, PS2 and Wii. They did have American Xbox 360 and Xbox games
Current Hypewagon pick-
Spoiler

#46 whitereflection

whitereflection

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 January 2009 - 10:00 PM

I went yesterday and in front of the store, it said that their biggest sale ever was going to start today or tomorrow (I don't remember, sorry) and will go on through February. If anyone knows the details of this promotion, please post.

#47 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2009 - 10:56 PM

Any more news on that sale, and is it still going on? I'll be in Midtown next week and am thinking of stopping by there.
sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

#48 Nibi

Nibi

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 February 2009 - 11:14 PM

As of yesterday the sale was still going on. Sale was for 20% off of everything instore except $1 items.
Current Hypewagon pick-
Spoiler

#49 superdry

superdry

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2009 - 08:11 AM

Thank you whitereflection for posting that the store is having a sale this month. I go to the store maybe once or twice a month.

I was able to pick up some manga at a good discount (I might go back to pick up some more). I would have sifted through the import game titles, but the store is a like a sauna in the winter time.

#50 Kapwanil

Kapwanil

You: Harm / Us: Nuke

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:08 AM

I was able to pick up some manga at a good discount (I might go back to pick up some more). I would have sifted through the import game titles, but the store is a like a sauna in the winter time.

I haven't looked in two weeks or so but I have a feeling that it'll mostly be the same titles that were there before.

Most of the PSP imports are forgettable. I believe there was a copy of Talkman, as well as Salamander Collection, but both were priced around $39. Not necessarily earth-shattering, even with 20% off.

PS2 and DS...I can't remember offhand. Personally, I didn't see anything interesting in there, although I think they may have had the Eyeshield 21 DS game. Not a good price, once again (in comparison to Play-Asia and whatnot), but not terrible, either.

It's mostly a crapshoot. If it's still sitting there, they do have a cart-only Contra 4 (domestic) for less than $10 after the 20% off sale, though.

#51 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 February 2009 - 09:42 PM

20% off... More like 10% after tax. It was hilarious that they called it the biggest sale they ever had.

I got me a Slam Dunk vol. 1 (Raijin edition) and a volume of JoJo.

Batsugunner.png

#52 whitereflection

whitereflection

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 May 2009 - 09:42 PM

There's a new promotion going on now that runs till the end of May: trade in 3 games, get an extra $10, trade in 6 games, get an extra $30. The games have to have a trade value of at least 50 cents, you can't trade three of the same game, and some other exclusions I'm sure I'm forgetting. The games also have to be current-gen, so no PS2, Gamecube, Xbox, or GBA.

#53 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 October 2009 - 05:59 PM

There's a new promotion going on now that runs till the end of May: trade in 3 games, get an extra $10, trade in 6 games, get an extra $30. The games have to have a trade value of at least 50 cents, you can't trade three of the same game, and some other exclusions I'm sure I'm forgetting. The games also have to be current-gen, so no PS2, Gamecube, Xbox, or GBA.

Little update: they're doing this very same trade-in promotion right now, and it will run until Dec. 31, 2009.

Also, it appears they aren't taking Gamecube games for trade-ins at all.

A little side note, in case anyone's interested: the Asahiya Bookstore on 45th between 5th and Madison, just a few blocks away from Book-Off, is closing for good at the end of this month :-( Save for magazines, just about everything in the store is on sale, including CDs and DVDs. I went there last week, made my final trip today, and came away with some great stuff both times... and there's still a decent amount left.

There isn't much game-related stuff outside of soundtracks (mostly Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest ones), artbooks, and (import) guide books and magazines, but just wanted to mention it all the same. Asahiya was a great alternative to Kinokuniya, and I'll be sad to see it go.

Edited by blueshinra, 20 October 2009 - 07:34 PM.

sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

#54 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 October 2009 - 09:30 PM

What? I haven't gone there yet. I might go later this week if I can find the time.
How were the discounts?

Batsugunner.png

#55 whitereflection

whitereflection

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 October 2009 - 10:00 PM

I always wondered how Asahiya could afford the rent in Midtown when hardly anyone goes there. I guess that answers the question.

#56 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 October 2009 - 10:14 PM

What? I haven't gone there yet. I might go later this week if I can find the time.
How were the discounts?

The best discounts I found were on various special edition manga. There's still some left, including tons of copies of the Fullmetal Alchemist vol. 13 SE (which comes with a deck of playing cards) for a buck apiece, but most of the best stuff is long gone.

The other discounts are nothing to sneeze at, though. The CDs can now be had for roughly half-price (or less); the same goes for the books and, I presume, the DVDs. Also, there's practically no stationary left (unfortunately, as it was one of my favorite parts of the store - they'd almost always have some Ghibli stuff that Kinokuniya didn't).

Edited by blueshinra, 20 October 2009 - 10:26 PM.

sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

#57 superdry

superdry

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 October 2009 - 05:56 AM

I'm sad to see Asahiya closing down, again (if anyone remembers, they use to be on vanderbilt ave. not too far away from their current location). I've always like the store better than Kinokuniya as they had a better selection of anime magazines, the points card, sometimes cheaper than Kinokuniya and the store was always quieter.

With their half-price off CDs and DVDs...you can get some game soundtracks at a decent price. The book sale is not bad too as its 100 yen to $1 rate they are using.

Oh yea...I also loved the stationary sold at the store as I was able to buy fine-tip pens (why is it so hard to find .35 through .4 tip pens?) over the years. But, within the last year, their pen's selection wasn't too great.

#58 R. Kasahara

R. Kasahara

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 October 2009 - 12:22 PM

The book sale is not bad too as its 100 yen to $1 rate they are using.

I recall seeing that rate on my visit last week, but it's apparently dipped lower than that since then. Yesterday, I got a 3,000 yen book for $17.80.
sig.gif
2014 Completed Games

#59 detectiveconan16

detectiveconan16

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 October 2009 - 09:37 PM

I went today, and I was pleased with the manga I got. $2 for Jump Comics.
But I was disappointed with the CD and DVDs. They only marked them down enough that they cost as much as new ones here in America. But good selection! Kamen Rider DCD, and Dragon Quest, and FF.
I really wished magazines were included, so I could get that Dengeki Hobby. :)

BTW Kinokuniya's having a sale this weekend. 20% off merchandise or something.

Batsugunner.png

#60 YaYaIsBack

YaYaIsBack

Posted 16 November 2009 - 12:49 AM

Does anyone know if they carry Yakuza 3 titles for PS3(aka Ryu Ga Gotoku Kenzan! & Ryu Ga Gotoku 3) Any info would be greatly appreciated : D Also does anyone have the exact street address for Book-off in NYC? I'm super surprised they have them here in the US. Last time I went to one was back in Japan of 2007, when I had gone on a trip. Awesome store btw: D