The Blockbuster/Gamerush Thread XVIII

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5941 replies to this topic

#5881 heatdolphins45

heatdolphins45

Wade County CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2008 - 04:41 PM

Great timing on this promotion, I visit my local BB the most out of anyone in my area. I am sure to win something since I go at least 3-5 times a week.
Posted Image"Limits, like fear, is just an illusion," Michael Jordan.
Posted Image
Currently Playing:
:ps3: Black Ops
:psp: Burnout Legends

#5882 doubledown

doubledown

Funky Daddy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2008 - 04:57 PM

Free Nintendo Wii console and accesories at Blockbuster!

http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

Fine prints states one entry per person, per day. runs until 9.06(or 8).
Spend $25 and be entered, must have membership.
Also states 'no purchase necessary'. Hmmmm.

Fine print from this link: http://www.blockbust...weepstakesRules

You may also enter without purchase or visiting the Store by legibly hand printing your name, address (including zip code), day and night telephone numbers (including area code), age and email address (optional) on a 3"x5" piece of paper/card and send it in a #10 business size envelope with the Store number legibly printed on the front of the envelope and mail to: BLOCKBUSTER Nintendo Wii Giveaway, PO Box 847, Tenafly, NJ 07670. You can obtain your Store's identification number by calling the Store and requesting it. Mail-in entries without the Store identification number legibly written on the front of the envelope will be disqualified. No copies, mechanical reproductions or metered mail accepted. Mail-in entries must be postmarked no later than 9/8/08 and received on or before 9/15/08. Proof of mailing does not constitute proof of delivery. Once submitted, entries become the sole property of Sponsor and will not be acknowledged or returned. Limit one (1) entry per person per Store per day regardless of the method of entry. Multiple entries on the same day will not be entered and shall result in voiding all entries but the first one.

#5883 dyeknom

dyeknom

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2008 - 05:22 PM

what site?

GS's website.

#5884 Capa

Capa

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2008 - 05:23 PM

I hit as many stores as I could last night, at the very last one I found
Mario Sunshine
WarioWorld
Mario Tennis
Mario Strikers
Mario Golf
Kingdom Hearts 2
Fzero GC

Not a bad stop.
I converted as much GS to BB credit as I could last night, then went on a buying spree. I've got 150 games to trade in (I've got 12 sets of Manhunt, SM FoF, Iridium, Golden Compass, Bee Movie, and TH Wasteland) There is a DM for GS here who knows what I'm doing, and has no problem with it, especially since two of his stores NEED used game inventory. I started with $200, I've spent $450 or so on myself, and should finish with around $1300-$1400 in credit.

#5885 millerjm2

millerjm2

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2008 - 05:34 PM

I have conformation on a clearance video game sale, however the manger could not tell me the systems or the games off the top of his head. He relayed to me that it would all be done by the end of the day. Do you guys have any idea what those titles or what platform the clearance will be for?

#5886 king007

king007

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2008 - 05:37 PM

I hit as many stores as I could last night, at the very last one I found
Mario Sunshine
WarioWorld
Mario Tennis
Mario Strikers
Mario Golf
Kingdom Hearts 2
Fzero GC

Not a bad stop.
I converted as much GS to BB credit as I could last night, then went on a buying spree. I've got 150 games to trade in (I've got 12 sets of Manhunt, SM FoF, Iridium, Golden Compass, Bee Movie, and TH Wasteland) There is a DM for GS here who knows what I'm doing, and has no problem with it, especially since two of his stores NEED used game inventory. I started with $200, I've spent $450 or so on myself, and should finish with around $1300-$1400 in credit.

I call BS on the $200 >>> $1400 JUST from this last GS promo. Im guessing you are going back a few promos...say the 25% off promos and the extra $10 promo. Maybe even back to the Fantastic Four flip. For every $4 spent you made $25-$30. WTF?

#5887 Friend of Sonic

Friend of Sonic

Toneman.org coming soon..

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2008 - 05:38 PM

I have conformation on a clearance video game sale, however the manger could not tell me the systems or the games off the top of his head. He relayed to me that it would all be done by the end of the day. Do you guys have any idea what those titles or what platform the clearance will be for?

Hmm... very interesting...
You hurt the right person and you're wrong for life.

#5888 anarch

anarch

And all that could have been...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2008 - 05:41 PM

Likely their remaining inventory of :ps2: and :gc:.

#5889 Geekquisitions

Geekquisitions

Evil Incarnate

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2008 - 05:53 PM

I call BS on the $200 >>> $1400 JUST from this last GS promo. Im guessing you are going back a few promos...say the 25% off promos and the extra $10 promo. Maybe even back to the Fantastic Four flip. For every $4 spent you made $25-$30. WTF?

Well, going back to the FF flip, that WAS $4 to $30... ;D
Posted ImagePosted Image

#5890 DaDeuce

DaDeuce

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2008 - 05:57 PM

I wish I could catch some of these clearance deals where you get $30 trade for $5-$6 bucks..... The best thing I've managed is Octomania, Eye of Judgement, & Blacksite.

Edit: Thanks to this month of deals I have so much credit that I'm not sure I'll be able to spend it all in a reasonable amount of time. I'm glad I managed to stumble across this thread.

Edited by DaDeuce, 05 August 2008 - 05:59 PM.

#5891 x3x1x

x3x1x

So fresh and so clean

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2008 - 06:18 PM

I wish I could catch some of these clearance deals where you get $30 trade for $5-$6 bucks..... The best thing I've managed is Octomania, Eye of Judgement, & Blacksite.

Edit: Thanks to this month of deals I have so much credit that I'm not sure I'll be able to spend it all in a reasonable amount of time. I'm glad I managed to stumble across this thread.

The majority time, you usually only get a 2x ratio. The past 2 months have just been a godsend for racking up the big bucks with little cash used. There's always something around the corner though. . .

#5892 king007

king007

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2008 - 06:19 PM

Well, going back to the FF flip, that WAS $4 to $30... ;D

yeah but that was as good as it ever got. to reach that number from $200 without the FF4 flip would have required alot of leg work and alot of luck with GS having a ton of flippable games.

#5893 Warner1281

Warner1281

Pissing off customers

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2008 - 06:25 PM

it'll be interesting to see what this is. I looked through all of our MAP and communications and didn't see any mention of this. There are a bunch of things going on clearance, but I didn't see ANY games on the clearance lists. From what I remember from the lists, there was:

-Lots of used movies going down to $1.99
-A bunch of framed art prices getting dropped by 50%
-Stores with electronics (flip cameras, Ipod accessories, and a few other things I can't remember), getting dropped by 30% or more.
-Some of the licensed crap dropping by 25% or more.
-Candy/popcorn that's not selling succesfully is being dropped in price (some for the second time now).

Like I said, I don't remember seeing anything about games, but it might be because we sold out of almost all last gen games at our store during the B1G1 (we literally have less than 5 games left between PS2, GCN, and Xbox).

Lastly, stores with less than 20 games for rent in the GCN or Xbox section are being told to convert them all games for sale. We did ours when the B1G1 sale started.

Edited by Warner1281, 05 August 2008 - 06:28 PM.

Posted Image

#5894 sprintfinanceguy

sprintfinanceguy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2008 - 06:29 PM

Free Nintendo Wii console and accesories at Blockbuster!

http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

Fine prints states one entry per person, per day. runs until 9.06(or 8).
Spend $25 and be entered, must have membership.
Also states 'no purchase necessary'. Hmmmm.

As everyone who has been to a BB 850 times in the last month knows, the 2 out combo pass is $34.99 and the 1 out at a time combo pass is $21.99. While I am mildly interested in winning a free Wii and will continue to enter the drawing for that regularly (and I'll end up with a couple of those "gamer packs"), the interesting thing about that link is that it states that the 2 out pass is $21.99. I'm sure it was supposed to say "starting at $21.99" but that's not what it says.

What do you think the odds are that we could get that pass for that price? :lol:

#5895 animemaniac14

animemaniac14

Do the Monkey w/Me!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2008 - 06:31 PM

strange news about bbv:

http://www.g4tv.com/...ampaign=TheFeed

Posted Image

[CDs=450] [DVDs=727] [VGs=434] [Books=183]

6% Cash back on BestBuy.com (can use for in-store pick up too!)!
http://www.topcashba...m/ref/cidsaijin

Spoiler

Spoiler

Free Gift Cards > Sex with a Blueshirt

#5896 Ink.So.Well.

Ink.So.Well.

Well.Went.Wild.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2008 - 06:32 PM

snip.

Any word on whether or not Blockbuster will start selling the new 60 GB 360s?

Stop trying to Scooby-Doo this. We're not going to solve this mystery for you. 

#5897 Warner1281

Warner1281

Pissing off customers

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2008 - 06:33 PM

As everyone who has been to a BB 850 times in the last month knows, the 2 out combo pass is $34.99 and the 1 out at a time combo pass is $21.99. While I am mildly interested in winning a free Wii and will continue to enter the drawing for that regularly (and I'll end up with a couple of those "gamer packs"), the interesting thing about that link is that it states that the 2 out pass is $21.99. I'm sure it was supposed to say "starting at $21.99" but that's not what it says.

What do you think the odds are that we could get that pass for that price? :lol:

I noticed that too. It wouldn't hurt to print it out and take it in, see if the manager will honor it. I know our store won't, but that doesn't mean others won't.
Posted Image

#5898 GuardianE

GuardianE

Posted 05 August 2008 - 06:37 PM

strange news about bbv:

Does this smell like desperation to anyone else?

Blockbuster was losing money, so they tried the online thing. They did the in store exchanges to get an edge, but realized that no one was giving money to their B&M anymore so they limited exchanges. They tried game trade ins. They're going to try these kiosks. Soon I'm sure they'll implement online streaming... they might be spreading themselves a bit too thin, but they also may not have a choice.
My name is in your Resident Evil 5 manual. ;)

#5899 sprintfinanceguy

sprintfinanceguy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2008 - 06:40 PM

Warner -

It seems like this would have to be honored by corporate. It clearly states a price and feature set, with no disclaimer whatsoever (for the pass, the wii promotion has tons of them).

I really like the people at my local store, but the online deal just isn't that great anymore, this would be a LOT better for me. Trying to decide if it's worth pushing for, because I don't want to raise too many eyebrows, but I definately want in on this deal.

#5900 Warner1281

Warner1281

Pissing off customers

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2008 - 06:42 PM

Any word on whether or not Blockbuster will start selling the new 60 GB 360s?

Not that I've seen. I think it depends on what happens with the X360 bundles that are currently in stores. I know in our district, all stores have had 4 360's in stock since 4 months ago, without a single one sold. We've finally started selling one or two here and there now that we've got the bundle available. Most likely though, given the poor sales of the units by themselves, BBV won't carry them unless msft offers BBV a bundle to sell.

strange news about bbv:

While the "blue box" kiosk is news to me, The big boys at corporate have been throwing around the idea of being able to burn a movie to disk and sell it, johnny on the spot, since Jim Keyes hopped on board. Obviously they've got technical/legal aspects to work around, but don't be surprised if you see that available by next year. The idea is to have a kiosk in store that you walk up to, find your movie, and then decide whether you want it on your thumb drive or a burned disk and then wait 2 minutes while it transfers the data for you. It'll be interesting to see if it works well in a business setting.

As for the desperation thing mentioned by GuardianE... yes and no. BBV is afraid to miss out on a money maker like they did back in the days of netflix. If you don't remember, before netflix was popular, they offered their business to BBV for $X million and BBV declined. 3 years later, netflix was worth 10x the inital offer. After realizing their bonehead mistake they hopped on the bandwagon (unlike Hollywood video who missed the wagon completely and is now still wondering where everyone went). Now they're trying to hop on every bandwagon they can find before it gets too far ahead of them.

It seems like this would have to be honored by corporate. It clearly states a price and feature set, with no disclaimer whatsoever (for the pass, the wii promotion has tons of them).

I really like the people at my local store, but the online deal just isn't that great anymore, this would be a LOT better for me. Trying to decide if it's worth pushing for, because I don't want to raise too many eyebrows, but I definately want in on this deal.

Stores can claim it's a typo and therefore doesn't need to be honored. I'm sure if you raised enough stink, they'd honor it anyways, but who wants to call that much attention to themselves/their account? As for the online deal... yeah, with the new CEO, his first goal was to cut the online subscriber base in half, but continue bringing in the same amount of money. With the old CEO, the entire online progrm was breaking even (losing money if you count advertising), regardless of how many subscribers we had. With the new CEo, so long as the subscriber base stays above 1.2 million, BBV turns a profit. So sure, we went from 4 million down to 2 million subscribers, but we made money in the process and now have a steady stream a revenue from that part of the company (and apparently from my experiences with blockbuster.com this morning they revamped the website).

Edited by Warner1281, 05 August 2008 - 06:51 PM.

Posted Image

#5901 Ink.So.Well.

Ink.So.Well.

Well.Went.Wild.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2008 - 06:48 PM

Ouch. I guess I should start crossing my fingers that a deal pops up this holiday season. Thanks Warner.

Stop trying to Scooby-Doo this. We're not going to solve this mystery for you. 

#5902 funkflexmctough

funkflexmctough

Mmmm.....deals

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2008 - 06:50 PM

Does this smell like desperation to anyone else?

Blockbuster was losing money, so they tried the online thing. They did the in store exchanges to get an edge, but realized that no one was giving money to their B&M anymore so they limited exchanges. They tried game trade ins. They're going to try these kiosks. Soon I'm sure they'll implement online streaming... they might be spreading themselves a bit too thin, but they also may not have a choice.

I don't know for how long, but they have a Beta online streaming tab on their website. I saw it earlier today following a previous link in this thread about wii contetst.
Posted Image

i buy that used games .i don,t have any problem

#5903 millerjm2

millerjm2

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2008 - 06:54 PM

it'll be interesting to see what this is. I looked through all of our MAP and communications and didn't see any mention of this. There are a bunch of things going on clearance, but I didn't see ANY games on the clearance lists. From what I remember from the lists, there was:

-Lots of used movies going down to $1.99
-Stores with electronics (flip cameras, Ipod accessories, and a few other things I can't remember), getting dropped by 30% or more.
-Candy/popcorn that's not selling succesfully is being dropped in price (some for the second time now).

Like I said, I don't remember seeing anything about games, but it might be because we sold out of almost all last gen games at our store during the B1G1 (we literally have less than 5 games left between PS2, GCN, and Xbox).

Lastly, stores with less than 20 games for rent in the GCN or Xbox section are being told to convert them all games for sale. We did ours when the B1G1 sale started.

Yesterday they too told me about the movies being cleared out. The information about the GCN and X-Box games are news to me though. There are several BBs around here that have yet to convert their last gen games so this may be good news, however I can only speculate. I'll make a run later on tonight and see if there is any truth to this and get back to all of you.

#5904 h2dk

h2dk

no time for games...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2008 - 07:45 PM

yeah but that was as good as it ever got. to reach that number from $200 without the FF4 flip would have required alot of leg work and alot of luck with GS having a ton of flippable games.

Not impossible at all...I turned $50 BB store credit into ~$500 combined (GS/BB) store credit over a 10 day span...in a town with only 5 BB and 4 GS.

Change is fucking good - but folding money is better.

#5905 jonac13

jonac13

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2008 - 08:00 PM

I turned $80 cash to $210 + Force Unleashed + Bioshock with only 1 GR, 3 BB, and 4 GS.
Posted Image

#5906 V4oLDbOY

V4oLDbOY

Vengeance

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2008 - 08:33 PM

god, I dont wanna go back to GS...

I got about 15 games on the floor next to me, and gotta leave for work soon. But without the prospect of flipping via the b1g1 deal at BBV, I feel soooo lazy... I might not get these games to gs for another few days, added up it should get me around $120 or so.

"You WROTE it, you can't UN-WRITE it!" - Maurice LaMarche

[if you need help funding a PSN gameshare (US) I'm happy to help out fellow CAGs (PM me) as long as you are patient.]

#5907 ghozt

ghozt

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2008 - 08:41 PM

im a little relieved the b1g1 is over. for the past week i've been spending my couple hours before work running around flipping. now i can finally relax before work. it was good while it lasted though. thanks to the perfect storm im up $200 cash and have over $1000 total credit at various stores (gamecrazy, gamestop, bbv, and fye). thanks to all who have contributed.

#5908 io

io

Posted 05 August 2008 - 08:42 PM

Any chance any of the Beatles posters are getting the 50% discount? I've already bought 2 there at full price (my son really wanted them) but I held off on that $39.99 album cover one but would gladly snag that at $20.

Also, the "licensed crap" wouldn't happen to include Wall-E toys would it? I've also bought a ton of those at full price when I dragged my kids around on flipping runs (how could I refuse with such cheap credit and them putting up with all my stops? :lol:). But I never bought the bigger ones so those might be good to get if a discount comes along.

As for the last point, damn, I wish at least one of the stores around here (and I must have gone to at least 10) had done that at any point during the B1G1. They have all stubbornly held on to their Xbox and GC rental sections.

#5909 nietzsche74

nietzsche74

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2008 - 08:47 PM

strange news about bbv:

If the discs could be implemented with a self-destruct capability, they could save themselves yards of shelf space.

#5910 Warner1281

Warner1281

Pissing off customers

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2008 - 08:48 PM

Any chance any of the Beatles posters are getting the 50% discount? I've already bought 2 there at full price (my son really wanted them) but I held off on that $39.99 album cover one but would gladly snag that at $20.

Negative. Mostly crap that is only popular at certain times (Indiana Jones would be likely) and stuff that just isn't selling well (NASCAR stuff was on the list).

Also, the "licensed crap" wouldn't happen to include Wall-E toys would it? I've also bought a ton of those at full price when I dragged my kids around on flipping runs (how could I refuse with such cheap credit and them putting up with all my stops? :lol:). But I never bought the bigger ones so those might be good to get if a discount comes along.

I honestly don't remember. I'm guessing the Indiana Jones and Hannah Montana stuff are on there. Wall-E might last a little bit longer before going on clearance, but I didn't look into the specifics so it might be on clearance too.

As for the last point, damn, I wish at least one of the stores around here (and I must have gone to at least 10) had done that at any point during the B1G1. They have all stubbornly held on to their Xbox and GC rental sections.

A lot of stores are being stubborn about this. Our store jumped on the opportunity the moment it became possible. We were relieved to get a little open space in our game section so we could put in the new DS section and open up the next-gen stuff so it didn't look so cramped. But yeah, it isn't being required just yet. Only suggested.
Posted Image