The Blockbuster/Gamerush Thread XVIII

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5941 replies to this topic

#5911 milmanias

milmanias

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2008 - 08:58 PM

For those that traded Warhawk in, how did you get around the "not for resale" label? I tried to trade my copy in but they wouldn't take it.

#5912 Nikadimas

Nikadimas

Freelance Police

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2008 - 09:00 PM

For those that traded Warhawk in, how did you get around the "not for resale" label? I tried to trade my copy in but they wouldn't take it.

I went to like 10 Gamestops and found only one with the barcode. Didn't matter anyway because it didn't come up and they had to look it up in the system.

#5913 DaDeuce

DaDeuce

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2008 - 10:16 PM

Negative. Mostly crap that is only popular at certain times (Indiana Jones would be likely) and stuff that just isn't selling well (NASCAR stuff was on the list).

I honestly don't remember. I'm guessing the Indiana Jones and Hannah Montana stuff are on there. Wall-E might last a little bit longer before going on clearance, but I didn't look into the specifics so it might be on clearance too.

A lot of stores are being stubborn about this. Our store jumped on the opportunity the moment it became possible. We were relieved to get a little open space in our game section so we could put in the new DS section and open up the next-gen stuff so it didn't look so cramped. But yeah, it isn't being required just yet. Only suggested.

Have any idea when BB's are gonna start selling used blu-rays?

#5914 Warner1281

Warner1281

Pissing off customers

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2008 - 10:18 PM

Have any idea when BB's are gonna start selling used blu-rays?

a couple already do. But the general answer is, about 8-12 months from when your store started carrying them.
Posted Image

#5915 CaoPi

CaoPi

KOEI fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2008 - 10:24 PM

so word is that there will be some new kind of sale since this B1G1 is over? Anything confirmed yet? I think it's time for a new BBV thread after 296 pages now

MY TRADE LIST ------ (pictures included)

#5916 DaDeuce

DaDeuce

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2008 - 10:44 PM

a couple already do. But the general answer is, about 8-12 months from when your store started carrying them.

Is there any way to tell which one's do without calling each one?

#5917 Nikadimas

Nikadimas

Freelance Police

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2008 - 10:54 PM

Is there any way to tell which one's do without calling each one?

Since many stores around me just started carrying them a couple months ago, the earliest I would expect to see any used Blu-rays in my area would December. I do see a lot of new titles for sale though. Turning into Best Buy in there nowadays.

#5918 DaDeuce

DaDeuce

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2008 - 11:25 PM

Since many stores around me just started carrying them a couple months ago, the earliest I would expect to see any used Blu-rays in my area would December. I do see a lot of new titles for sale though. Turning into Best Buy in there nowadays.

If only they had some of Bestbuy's prices. Almost all the BR's I've seen new at Blockbuster are $3-$5 more expensive than Bestbuy

#5919 Bezerker

Bezerker

Bezerker Barrage!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 August 2008 - 11:26 PM

Either trade the big box that it comes in, print out a new barcode from coverproject.cc, or just cut out the area that says not for resale and tell them you had to mail in the barcode for a rebate.

I also thought of a good excuse for why you might be trading in multiples of a game. Tell the person that you forgot to take the game off of your "request list" on Goozex. Hopefully the person wont know what Goozex is (meaning they wont know about only being able to request 1 copy of a game at a time).

538822.png

#5920 io

io

Posted 06 August 2008 - 12:14 AM

Alright CAGs, get crackin'.

It's possible there's a hidden gem in here for GS->BB trading:

http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=193013

By the way, new thread will be up when I can get to it. I am WAY backed up on work at the moment. It might be tonight, or it might not be. I want to make some big changes to the OP so I need to put some effort into it. In the mean time, there's nothing wrong with this thread ;).

#5921 emg28

emg28

esteeohpee

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 August 2008 - 12:48 AM

BB TIVs (over the phone):

The Club 360 - $15
NCAA MM 08 360 - $22

NCAA MM 08 is $24.99 used on GS.com ($12.49 after 50% off) $12.49-> $22
The Club is $29.99 used on GS.com ($14.99 after 50% off) $14.99-> $15

Not sure if Edge and the 10% off coupon would stack. Can anyone confirm these prices?

*edit* After Edge and 10% coupon: The Club $11.99-> $15
NCAA MM 08 $9.99-> $22

Edited by emg28, 06 August 2008 - 12:52 AM.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Games Beaten: 2012 2011 2010 2009

#5922 heatdolphins45

heatdolphins45

Wade County CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 August 2008 - 01:09 AM

Just when I thought it was over, they keep pulling me back in.:) Hopefully this starts the 7th...
Posted Image"Limits, like fear, is just an illusion," Michael Jordan.
Posted Image
Currently Playing:
:ps3: Black Ops
:psp: Burnout Legends

#5923 DaDeuce

DaDeuce

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 August 2008 - 01:31 AM

Those should be good games to flip to BB, but are there going to be any cheap games to flip back that are atleast 1:1?

#5924 sprintfinanceguy

sprintfinanceguy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 August 2008 - 01:42 AM

You should be able to pretty close to break even with newer Wii titles with the 40% trade bonus, but the big flip 'em back and forth days are likely gone. Either way, the smart money was on leaving the majority of your credit at GS, because it is always easy to get 2:1 going back to BB.

This essentially means any new releases are going to be 1/2 price for quite a while for me, as I slowly slide over the GS stuff to pay for them and buy them at BB.

If there were some PS3 games on that list, I would likely keep a few though.

#5925 Japakneez

Japakneez

You are big foo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 August 2008 - 01:43 AM

whoever gave the tip about buying mario kart wii and selling it online...THANK YOU!

Recouped my initial costs within 2 hrs. I was going to sell one of my EDGE cards, but that would have resulted in a 10% or more loss. Buying mario kart got me a 1:1 ratio AFTER fees and shipping costs. :applause:

#5926 SonictheHedgehog1337

SonictheHedgehog1337

That guy with the creepy signature

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 August 2008 - 01:43 AM

Any chance any of the Beatles posters are getting the 50% discount? I've already bought 2 there at full price (my son really wanted them) but I held off on that $39.99 album cover one but would gladly snag that at $20..

No Beatles posters have been marked down yet, but the Black and White John Lennon poster with him holding up the peace sign has been 15 dollars for about 3 months now (used to be 30). I went to about 15 BBVs during the perfect storm and only noticed one , but I didn't look at the artwork at every store.

Some notable 50% framed artworks I remember are:

Empire Strikes Back (not Return of the Jedi or A New Hope. Trust me :cry:)
Terminator
Jaws
Sex and the City
Aqua Teen Hunger Force
The Office
Top Gun
Beowulf
Bunch of Nascar ones...

Plus theres a new Dark Knight one with the Joker holding up the playing card in front of his face.
They also got in Kanye West, Alicia Keys, Goldfinger, and Spiderman arwork as well.

There were more, but those are the ones I remember off the top of my head.
Even if these posters aren't labled correctly, try price checking and you might get lucky. I did buy one Empire Strikes Back poster at BBV for 20 and immediately drove about 1/4 of a mile to the next BBV and it rang up for 40. I think one closed at 11 and one closed at midnight if that makes any difference.

Edited by SonictheHedgehog1337, 06 August 2008 - 01:51 AM.

#5927 milmanias

milmanias

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 August 2008 - 01:45 AM

Either trade the big box that it comes in, print out a new barcode from coverproject.cc, or just cut out the area that says not for resale and tell them you had to mail in the barcode for a rebate.

Great idea with coverproject, I'll try this. I bought it used so don't have the big box, so I'll glue the code in. If that doesn't work I'll cut it out. Thanks for the suggestions.

#5928 io

io

Posted 06 August 2008 - 01:52 AM

No Beatles posters have been marked down yet, but the Black and White John Lennon poster with him holding up the peace sign has been 15 dollars for about 3 months now (used to be 30). I went to about 15 BBVs during the perfect storm and only noticed one , but I didn't look at the artwork at every store.

Yeah, I bought one of the John Lennon ones several weeks ago but it was broken in one corner so I returned it. But when I was out with my son a few days ago on one of my last big flipping runs we saw another so I bought that. He now has 3 BB framed posters in his room (Abbey Road, the Lennon one, and the one with the head shots of all 4 Beatles). That album cover one is just a bit too much at $39.99. Abbey Road was $29.99 and I didn't mind paying that (keeping in mind how cheap in real money it was ;)). The other was only $19.99 and the Lennon one at half price was $14.99. I did see that Empire Strikes Back one at half price a long time ago too. I'm sort of surprised I didn't buy it as that has always been my favorite movie. But the kids, unfortunately, aren't that much into Star Wars. Well, my oldest son used to be, but now he's into music. He wants a drum kit now :roll:. And I have yet to buy Rock Band (waiting for one or both of the new music games to come out).

Interesting side story: back when I had my Gamerush around they used to give me all sorts of promo materials so my oldest son's room was full of oversized promo Nintendo game boxes, a huge Star Fox standee, a huge Lego Star Wars II standee, and several other things. He cleared that all out a few weeks ago to make room for his music posters :cry:. Now I'm not really sure what to do with all that stuff. My younger son may want it, but we'll see...

#5929 SonictheHedgehog1337

SonictheHedgehog1337

That guy with the creepy signature

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 August 2008 - 01:59 AM

Interesting side story: back when I had my Gamerush around they used to give me all sorts of promo materials so my oldest son's room was full of oversized promo Nintendo game boxes, a huge Star Fox standee, a huge Lego Star Wars II standee, and several other things. He cleared that all out a few weeks ago to make room for his music posters :cry:. Now I'm not really sure what to do with all that stuff. My younger son may want it, but we'll see...

Thats really cool. I used to ask for that kind of stuff from stores when I was younger. Sometimes I'd give the manager 5 or 10 bucks if it was something really cool. I never had any luck with Blockbuster or Hollywood Video though. My old Hollywood video used to have an old school Genesis Sonic and Tails poster that was about 15 feet tall (from the floor to the ceiling.) When they were about to take it out to remodel the whole store, I checked in all the time and asked about it. They said thay'd give it to me but i never heard from them. :cry: One day it was just gone.

Edited by SonictheHedgehog1337, 06 August 2008 - 02:02 AM.

#5930 captnjack

captnjack

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 August 2008 - 02:32 AM

Kane and Lynch for the PS3 held at $30

#5931 heatdolphins45

heatdolphins45

Wade County CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 August 2008 - 02:47 AM

I'm definitely in for that Joker Card Dark Knight Poster for $15, maybe even that Kanye one to gain a Wii sweepstakes entry...Definitely, going to check that out this week.
Posted Image"Limits, like fear, is just an illusion," Michael Jordan.
Posted Image
Currently Playing:
:ps3: Black Ops
:psp: Burnout Legends

#5932 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 August 2008 - 03:06 AM

whoever gave the tip about buying mario kart wii and selling it online...THANK YOU!

Recouped my initial costs within 2 hrs. I was going to sell one of my EDGE cards, but that would have resulted in a 10% or more loss. Buying mario kart got me a 1:1 ratio AFTER fees and shipping costs. :applause:

That was me! YAYYYYY!

I picked up 3 more today. Now I'm officially in the black for cash outlay, including gas. So now I've basically picked up $700 of GS/BBV credit for free. Wooohoooo. :bouncy:

Remember, if you do this, DO NOT lowball on Amazon or ebay just to sell. The price on Amazon should be around $72 and the price on ebay should be around $65. You end up getting $55 each net. This should cover your tax.

#5933 irishsoccermbw

irishsoccermbw

Prosecution Rests

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 August 2008 - 03:09 AM

That was me! YAYYYYY!

I picked up 3 more today. Now I'm officially in the black for cash outlay, including gas. So now I've basically picked up $700 of GS/BBV credit for free. Wooohoooo. :bouncy:

Remember, if you do this, DO NOT lowball on Amazon or ebay just to sell. The price on Amazon should be around $72 and the price on ebay should be around $65. You end up getting $55 each net. This should cover your tax.

This is spot on, I sold one i found at GS for 69 earlier today :). Its nice to get a lil cash with all that store credit (also dont forget about wii sports/fit...)

#5934 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 August 2008 - 03:16 AM

Wii fit is too much of a pain in the ass cause it's so bulky.

I could probably convert ALL my GS/BBV to cash but the reason I was flipping was mostly to be able to pick up whatever games I want whenever I wanted. Converting to cash kinda makes it not as fun.

#5935 x3x1x

x3x1x

So fresh and so clean

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 August 2008 - 04:09 AM

Terminator
Jaws
Sex and the City
Aqua Teen Hunger Force
The Office
Top Gun
Beowulf
Bunch of Nascar ones...

I''ve never seen an Office art piece at my local BB's. Could you possibly let me know what it looks like? Thanks.

#5936 sprintfinanceguy

sprintfinanceguy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 August 2008 - 04:09 AM

I could probably convert ALL my GS/BBV to cash but the reason I was flipping was mostly to be able to pick up whatever games I want whenever I wanted. Converting to cash kinda makes it not as fun.

I've been trying to explain this to my wife... I cashed out my initial cash outlay of $500 by getting an MGS4 bundle, plus another $160 picking up RockBand for the Wii for one of her freinds. She can't understand why I have the amount of credit that I have and just don't cash it all out. As a finance guy, I really can't either, but it's like a security blanket now. :)

#5937 emg28

emg28

esteeohpee

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 August 2008 - 04:20 AM

I've been trying to explain this to my wife... I cashed out my initial cash outlay of $500 by getting an MGS4 bundle, plus another $160 picking up RockBand for the Wii for one of her freinds. She can't understand why I have the amount of credit that I have and just don't cash it all out. As a finance guy, I really can't either, but it's like a security blanket now. :)

If you cash out, you are most likely to spend it on something else. With GS/BB credit you are forced to buy games. :D

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Games Beaten: 2012 2011 2010 2009

#5938 Japakneez

Japakneez

You are big foo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 August 2008 - 04:33 AM

If you cash out, you are most likely to spend it on something else. With GS/BB credit you are forced to buy games. :D

LOL. Thats why i am hesitant to cash more money out. There are many games i want in the future...but i already have a ridiculous backlog of games right now :bomb:

#5939 ChunkyLover78

ChunkyLover78

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 August 2008 - 04:47 AM

I''ve never seen an Office art piece at my local BB's. Could you possibly let me know what it looks like? Thanks.

i'm not sure if there are more than one office art piece but I've only seen one at one of the stores I've been to. It has most of the main characters in their conference room sitting behind it. and there are like post its around the art piece that has what i assumed were quotes (didn't really read it) on them. nothing too eye popping but if its 50% might bite

#5940 Nikadimas

Nikadimas

Freelance Police

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 August 2008 - 04:48 AM

Is Mario Kart Wii really in that high demand? Last time I went into Gamecrazy there were 3 just sitting on the shelf behind the counter and I've seen copies at 2 of the Gamestops I've been to in the past week. I ordered my copy of GS.com and just got it today. It's very enjoyable, but I got a rude awakening when I went online.