Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer 19.99 eb games

That's an old genre staple of this kind of game.

If your going to try a game like this this is supposed to be really good. I haven't tried it though so I can't say.

A lot of gamers today are a little to casual I think for this kind of game though. If your carefull you can get through only dieing once or twice. Also of course there are ways to revive your character it just isn't easy and limited.

Kind of like some MMORPG's are with character death. I think with this kind of game it really works though since you don't have to worry about cheap people killing you over and over and lag as well.

[quote name='lord_ebonstone']Because it's a Roguelike?

Do you even know what Rogue is?[/quote]

Do you even realize that RPGs have progressed since 1980? :roll:

fucking nerd.

[quote name='Blade']Do you even realize that RPGs have progressed since 1980? :roll:

fucking nerd.[/quote]

people like them...what is the problem with that?

[quote name='Halo05']It's 17.99 used at EB. There's a copy at my local store that has been teasing me for like a week now.[/quote]

Same here, I was going to bite at $30, now they have one used for $18 by my house, Im not sure what to do:cry:

Highly addictive gameplay, but offers no mercy at all (there's a rescue feature, though). Worth the $20 value if you can equate it to the amount of time you will be spending on it. Also, the villagers and surrounding towns will progress each time you die, so I thought that was kinda cool and not a total waste...but again, you will die A LOT...and most of the time you WON'T SEE IT COMING. This is the definitive ROGUE-LIKE game, worth experiencing. Cheers!

[quote name='Blade']fucking nerd.[/quote]

Well played name calling, surely backed up by your 5 champion icons under your username right?

Got it, love it. If you want to try a roguelike, this is the one. If the standard conventions of a roguelike bother you (such as starting over every time you die), stay away.

game has been out for awhile now and most people have moved on, so good luck finding people to save you if you get killed....

10 bucks would be nice.... its just too easy to get killed and lose your equpiment what took you 40 hours to earn

damn, I finally found a used copy of this game at gamestop the other day...

it was $17.99 and I nutted all over the place!!!

now I see it was becoz of a price drop and I dont feel so victorious anymore...

been wanting this game for cheap FOREVER!

I went ahead and picked it up at Gamestop for $18, I couldent resist, I hope it brings back memories of Chocobo Mysteriouse Dungeon on PSX :) that game was GREAT for what it was

so...by starting over every time you die, do you guys mean that you can't reload a save at all? how easy is it to die...and do you die cheap deaths or is it always your own fault? I'm not adverse to difficulty or playing by a game's rules, but I don't want it to be like "congrats you're dead" all of a sudden.

[quote name='ninja dog']so...by starting over every time you die, do you guys mean that you can't reload a save at all? how easy is it to die...and do you die cheap deaths or is it always your own fault?[/QUOTE]

you start over from FLOOR 1... you lose all of the items you had and your HP resets to what it was on floor 1..

very easy to die . monsters are very cheap with hits.

it was fun when it first came out cause there was tons of people to save you but it would be interesting to see how many people are still playing this

[quote name='ninja dog']so...by starting over every time you die, do you guys mean that you can't reload a save at all? how easy is it to die...and do you die cheap deaths or is it always your own fault? I'm not adverse to difficulty or playing by a game's rules, but I don't want it to be like "congrats you're dead" all of a sudden.[/QUOTE]

There are various storage safehouses throughout the towns to "save" your items & equipments, but once you die you lose EVERYTHING in your current inventory. There's a rescue system that can revive your character up to 3 times, but that requires a fellow DS player (over wifi or via pswd) to basically replay and backtrack across all the stages for you ....yes, lots of effort on their part required.

Unfortunately, CHEAP DEATHS are plenty. I would say 50% on prepared-ness and 50% on luck. Since dungeons are randomized, there are times when monster-filled rooms can pop up all too frequently or even consecutively, when your food or health supplies run out, and worst of all...those damn invisible floor traps are triggered at the worst possible moments. Don't forget about the enemies too...they can level up and even attack across the room or thru walls!!!

However, the core nature of the game makes it fast and easy to pick up...and really hard to put down. Fun game, but don't expect to come close in completing the dungeons and side-missions
without experiencing hundreds of deaths. Cheers!

There is nothing "cheap" about any of the deaths in this game. Most deaths come as a result of your own carelessness or lack of preparation. You learn something new about the game from each one, and you almost never die the same way twice. The game's been described as an RPG where the player levels up, rather than the character.

I paid full price for Shiren and have played it more than any game so far this year. It's currently the best console/portable roguelike on the market, and it's well worth $20.

I've wanted this, I think I'll bite at this price. Gameplay reminded of one of the first computer games I every played, Telengard, which I guess is one of the first roguelikes? It's a little frustrating to lose everything, but I had great satisfaction in building up a high level character.

Can someone clear something up for me pleas........If you die, do you lose even the items in your warehouse or just items in your current inventory?

[quote name='Poor2More']Can someone clear something up for me pleas........If you die, do you lose even the items in your warehouse or just items in your current inventory?[/QUOTE]

Whatever stored in the warehouses will stay there forever even when u die in the dungeons. Stock up on Holding Jars and you will be able to store even more items! Also, remember that you can backtrack to previous towns to accumulate your supplies. Good luck.

[quote name='FatBoyInside']Whatever stored in the warehouses will stay there forever even when u die in the dungeons. Stock up on Holding Jars and you will be able to store even more items! Also, remember that you can backtrack to previous towns to accumulate your supplies. Good luck.[/quote]

Thanks

A little OT but: Here is a great site that will tell you all about roguelikes - http://roguebasin.roguelikedevelopment.org/index.php?title=What_a_roguelike_is
They are all free (can't beat that for cheap!) - there is also comprehensive info if you are inclined to start programming your own. I really like both the ADOM and Nethack roguelikes, and of course Rogue...but anyway, if you are curious - enjoy! One of the defining characteristics is that most have a rudimentary text interface that I think will put more people off than permadeath!

[quote name='mkelehan']Don't forget about the rescue feature. You can have a friend with the game hop on the WFC, enter your dungeon, and save you.

Also, it's $19 at DD:
http://www.deepdiscount.com/viewproduct.htm?productId=43408542&categoryId=65456[/QUOTE]

that is if you can find anyone still even playin the game

was big when it first came out... but many have moved on and with

FFT 2 coming next week expect more people to not be playing this

[quote name='slidecage']that is if you can find anyone still even playin the game
was big when it first came out... but many have moved on and with
FFT 2 coming next week expect more people to not be playing this[/quote]I died on floor 86 of the Tainted Path a couple nights ago and someone had rescued me the next morning, so I definitely think there are still people playing this. At $20 it's worth it for the fantastic depth of the items alone.

I grabbed two copies from my local GS to use as gifts in the future. Thanks, OP. :D

This is all I have been playing in the last week. Highly addicting and fun. As far as going back to level 1 and losing everything when you die, I just look at it as an arcade-type game. Get as far as you can on one credit and learn from each experience. Also, having the additional party members join you seems to help out as you keep dieing and progressing in the game.

bread's done
Back