Did XBox reach its full potential?

YoshiFan1

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
This past weekend I decided to work on my XBox backlog. I was playing SSX On Tour, the graphics look just as good if not better than SSX Blur on Wii. I also opened Fight Night Round 3 and Ninja Gaiden Black. Fight Night didn't look as good as the 360 version but was still very impressive and again, comparable if not better than Wii graphics. If someone showed me Ninja Gaiden Black and told me it was a 360 game, I would have believed it, amazing graphics.

I feel like XBox didn't have enough time on the market and stores have all but ignored it but that is understandable considering there hasn't been a new game released in around 8 - 9 months and the system is dead.

Does anyone else think if the next gen systems had been delayed an extra year, we would have even seen better graphics on XBox?

Why not, graphics can always be improved on. As for the thing about Ninja Gaiden Black having 360-like graphics, i really disagree. I have it d/l'ed as an Xbox Original, played it for the first time earlier this year and the graphics were pretty last-gen to me (maybe I'm just so used to the 360 graphics now).

Are you playing on an SDTV?

I don't think you should be comparing with Wii games either. Much as I love the console, its games haven't exactly been standard-bearers in the graphics department. If anything, I can find quite a few shovelware Wii games that look worse than last-gen.

I would compare the best looking XBOX games to Wii games any day.

It is true though that unless you are playing it on a HDTV compared to a 360 on a HDTV....the graphics while better on the 360, do not really pop out until it is in at least 720p

xbox reached its full potential with dead or alive 3, IMO one of the best graphics on the system and it was out so early in its life, dead or alive ultimate looks great too

The Xbox certainly wasn't laying down getting ready to pass on when the 360 came and killed it, so there was definitely more room for improvement. It came out a year after the PS2 and the 360 came out a year before the PS3, so right there it was missing out on two years of game development. Hell they're still making PS2 games today, but then again, the Xbox was never as big as the PS2 was/is.

Microsoft never got to the point where they weren't losing money selling the Xbox console, so it made no sense to keep manufacturing them once the 360 was introduced. Production stopped in 2005 and software development stopped at the same time. Other than sports titles, there really haven't been any new Xbox games released for almost 3 years.

no these systems never reach the full potential without user modifications. An xbox with media center installed (mods- dont wet your pants I am not going to tell them how to do it) or a wii with the homebrew channel (once again I am not telling yoU) greatly increases the amount of enjoyment that can be gained from the system. Streaming itunes, movies, photos, youtube, it is all great stuff that people have proven that these systems could have done...

I don't think that the Xbox ever reached maximum graphic potential, but if you look towards the various mods that can be done for it and what those mods can do, overall I think it did.

Seeing how the PS2 is sitll getting new release, if the xbox is still alive there will be games pushing it even further.

I think we're all in agreement that the Xbox had some more juice to pump out better graphics, but to say that it could go neck-to-neck with the 360 is pushing it. That's why I brought up the SDTV vs. HDTV issue in my initial post. On an SDTV, the differences might be subtler, but on an HDTV the gap widens considerably.

The XBox is still is a sore spot for me as far as being killed off too soon. So much good stuff came out for that console that got sort of overlooked, and Microsoft just killed it almost instantaneously when the 360 showed up. I understand why they did it, but it still seemed a tad harsh. It really was the spiritual successor to the Dreamcast.

I actually still prefer it to the 360 in many ways, mostly in regards to the hard drive being built-in and custom soundtracks having much better integration. I'll probably never get rid of it since MS half-assed the backwards compatibility.

I agree.

Having the XBox die after only four years of being on the market was depressing. While the graphics would never be able to reach 360 level, they probably should have waited till the PS3 and Wii launched. But for some reason Microsoft wanted to jump the gun as early as possible. It hurt in many ways because the hardware on the 360 is a POS and probably wouldn't have been as bad if it spent more time in development. However, launching earlier also proved to be a big benefit in third party support (360 usually sells the most software titles per week according to vgchartz) and a dominating launch in the USA hardwise that will probably have them as #2 this gen till they announce their next XBox.

[quote name='KaneRobot']The XBox is still is a sore spot for me as far as being killed off too soon. So much good stuff came out for that console that got sort of overlooked, and Microsoft just killed it almost instantaneously when the 360 showed up. I understand why they did it, but it still seemed a tad harsh. It really was the spiritual successor to the Dreamcast.

I actually still prefer it to the 360 in many ways, mostly in regards to the hard drive being built-in and custom soundtracks having much better integration. I'll probably never get rid of it since MS half-assed the backwards compatibility.[/QUOTE]

I agree except...custom soundtracks are way better on the 360. Every game supports them and it works pretty damn well.

The Xbox had to be killed off. It was losing tons of money to keep it alive because of Intel and Nvidia and other reasons. Really was a fun system, I still love the way it looks and the logo's and stuff.

yeah the games that came out towards the end were amazing. even Black was good and the DOA games were always nice. At least it progressed unlike the ps2...most of their stuff still looked like ps1 ha ha

PS2 always seemed too similar to my DC, so I never got one. However there are some really solid looking titles on the PS2, it did progress throughout its lifespan.

I'm still on my Xbox, been playing Burnout Revenge of late. Getting ready for some NCAA, too bad 09 isn't coming out for it. *shrug* Someday I'll hop back on the 7th gen train. (I've owned both a Wii and a 360. Sold the Wii due to lack of playing, sold the 360 due to needing the cash.)

Microsoft fully abandoned the system pretty much the second the 360 came out. You can't even buy controllers for them, unless you either opt for insanely overpriced firstparty used ones or brand new chinese bootlegs.

Doom 3, Riddick, Otogi and metal wolf chaos are on par with a lot of wii games and early 360 games. But yeah Once you use HD for these older games they take a serious graphical hit.

Of course not, most systems don't, but that wasn't the point. It kicked the shit out of the PS2 on (almost) every multi-platform release, but the games always sold better on the PS2, due to the larger install base. And the Wii is a piece of shit that doesn't even support 720p, which the Xbox 1 does, so don't even make that comparison. They made the right decision. They didn't do everything right, nor are they doing everything right now, but they're still kicking the crap out of Sony, so...

[quote name='PhreQuencYViii']I agree except...custom soundtracks are way better on the 360. Every game supports them and it works pretty damn well.[/QUOTE]

I like that it works in all games, but in the vast majority of games they are not truly integrated into the game itself like they were on the original XBox. Best example would be the GTA titles - on the 360 you just play it through the guide like everything else. On the XBox there was a dedicated "tape deck"/"CD player" whenever you got in your car in-game that let you select songs and was much less cumbersome/intrusive. Saint's Row tried to do something like this (an "MP3 player" the character had) and did a decent job, but it still wasn't as seamless as the GTA XBox games.

Late-lifespan 2k games like NFL 2k5 let you assign songs to various occurences in game (play this song on a touchdown, this song on a first down, etc)...it was really awesome and I wish that would have caught on with more sports titles. Phantom Dust lets you assign songs to different parts of the game as well.

We saw some hints of the Xbox's potential, but no, it definitely didn't reach its full potential. It's still more powerful than the Wii in pretty much every way (720p/1080i, dolby digital) so there's a lot more that could be done.

I still play my xbox, and with the backlog I have (Splinter Cells 2 and 3, Forza Motorsport, and Dreamfall- not to mention the backlog of games on other last-gen systems!) I don't think I'll be upgraing to a 360 for a little while. Also because to justify moving to a 360 would mean getting a HDTV- which basically triples (or quadruples) the cost of stepping up to latest-gen.

Ruahrc

I love my xbox. It's short console life made me angry and really the system prob had another year left in it before the 360 NEEDED to come out. I got mine for $179 + three games at a gamestop deal and I will never get rid of my Original Xbox. Many of my favorite games of all time are on the system (Riddick Halo/Halo 2 KOTOR) and with it modded with BAED it's irreplaceable for me right now.

Just about all systems any more get phased out too quick. Except the PS2, PS1, SNES, Genesis, NES, and Saturn in Japan. Others too prolly.

Xbox was only supposed to be Microsoft's entry point into the console wars in the first place so it reached it's potential.

Xbox Live proved that a pay service is worth it. The graphics at the end were top notch.

I was also sad that they cut the lifespan short for an successor that keeps breaking down.

Did it reach its full potential?
I wouldn't know. But what i do know, they could of keep the system alive a little big longer. I think it died too early.

It didn't, and it cost them a pile to make since it was off-the-shelf parts, but it got their game division online. Now they rushed out the 360, and are paying for _that_ in spades... I think they should've ironed out the system killing bugs first, and let the solid console with solid titles sell rather than "we got here first"... The goodwill they've burned out (first with faulty DVDs in the xbox, recalled power cords, then with the RRoD) is going to cost them some loyalty.

if it doesn't, we're all more gullible than I thought. :)

The one thing they learned from the first was to make the hard drive detachable. I had one Xbox crap out on me and I lost everything on the hard drive. I've had three 360s crap out and I've been able to keep all my saves and downloads.

[quote name='lilboo']IMO, Xbox360 did a fantastic job of picking up where the Xbox left off---something a console sucessor should do.[/quote]

I'd agree with that on the software and online components but they utterly failed with their hardware deficiencies.

[quote name='depascal22']The one thing they learned from the first was to make the hard drive detachable. I had one Xbox crap out on me and I lost everything on the hard drive. I've had three 360s crap out and I've been able to keep all my saves and downloads.[/quote]

The only problem with both Xbox systems(original and 360) is that the hard drive isn't one that the user can easily replace themselves. I know I looked into having my original Xbox :lol:"upgraded" we'll say, but with all of the rigamarole the guy who I was gonna have do it would've had to go through, it would've ended up costing me $200-300 in labor costs alone.

I was tempted to try it myself, but just scared shitless that I'd seriously destroy the system and end up having NO Xbox to play on then.

So I left it as it came from the factory and I STILL got many hundreds of hours of playtime on it and I had a blast.

But I also don't think the system lived up to it's full potential.

the biggest thing w/ the xbox was it was actually costing MS every console sold and there really wasn't alot of support there for the games on their first go round. While it had some excellent games and it's biggest drawing was on the adult gamers, that genre was just coming into it's blossom but it was prime time for it on the 360. Could they have continued to published titles for it.. yes but would the games have been worth it.. not really atleast not on the business side of it. What I don't like is the fact that games that were made for both the 360 and the xbox.. say if you had the xbox title and then purchased a 360.. that title didn't work on the 360 (ie.. godfather) the backwards compatibility just isn't there that i expected.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']The only problem with both Xbox systems(original and 360) is that the hard drive isn't one that the user can easily replace themselves. I know I looked into having my original Xbox :lol:"upgraded" we'll say, but with all of the rigamarole the guy who I was gonna have do it would've had to go through, it would've ended up costing me $200-300 in labor costs alone.

I was tempted to try it myself, but just scared shitless that I'd seriously destroy the system and end up having NO Xbox to play on then.

So I left it as it came from the factory and I STILL got many hundreds of hours of playtime on it and I had a blast.

But I also don't think the system lived up to it's full potential.[/quote]

Why not just "upgrade" it through software with the Splinter Cell or Mech Assault.. that' what I did with mine and turned it into a media center basically since I mainly play my 360 now. I popped a 250GB drive in there and loaded it up w/ movies and mp3's it can feed video from various sites just do a search on Xbox Media Center and it should help you out.. I was able to "upgrade" mine pretty easily and the best thing is if i wanted to "downgrade" it all I have to do is put the original HDD in it and wahlah I'm set.

fuck no it didn't reach it's potential. I look at my collection now and it's all Sega and Capcom games... and there's only like... 7. The Xbox had sooo many mediocre games released for it, and US-developed stuff was all better on the PC.

The latest EGM has an article that makes a good point. They say the Xbox changed console gaming and basically made everybody PC gamers. I've been saying the same thing for a while. The Xbox did a great job of bringing the PC gaming experience to consoles.

bread's done
Back