Photo
- - - - -

CAG Foreplay #46: Shipwreck Wins! (6/18/08)

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#31 StarKnightX

StarKnightX

will hook you up

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 June 2008 - 06:17 PM

Good show this week. Very entertaining argument over frogger 2 as well.:) Does anyone know , is the frogger 2 on live arcade the same as frogger 2 that was released on the GBC years back? I don't think it is but I'm not sure.

Regarding Code Lyoko , I would highly recommend the show , it's pretty good. You can pick up the first 2 or 3 seasons I think for around $15 or $20 online. Although the 1st season of the show is more of just a "monster of the week" style program , where XANA wakes up , makes bad things happen , kids go into computer to stop him , turn back time , everyone goes home happy. But if you don't watch the first season , you'll be more lost with whats happening in later seasons.

As far as the games go , I was kinda interested in the DS game based off of previews and the whole RPG style , the console version never really caught my attention.

I also have to admit , that all the talk about The Deadliest Catch , has me interested in trying the game out. Maybe I'll pick it up when it eventually comes down in price. Maybe I'll also give the show a try while I'm at it.

#32 marshallbanana6

marshallbanana6

Posted 20 June 2008 - 08:18 PM

Ship c'mon - you can't expect to play any 3d games on a MacBook! They've got Intel graphics chips which aren't exactly made for gaming. I'm actually really surprised that the Intel graphics chip in the newest MacBook barely meets the requirements for Spore, they must have stretched it to support that.

It should work on the iMac if it's a newer one.

#33 terpkristin

terpkristin

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 June 2008 - 08:19 PM

Great show, this week, but I feel a little bad that my Frogger question sparked such turmoil. :D

I heard Major Nelson interview the guy from Deadliest Catch last week. Man, what a seaman he is, and quite a bit of a schmuck. He seemed excited about the game, and mentioned that there was a lot of “learning” as you go, like on the first mission he’ll pop up and tell you to respect the Coast Guard. I kind of got the impression that it’s a game where you start as a
rookie and build up to being a captain. I guess since I’m not that into the show and I’m really not into the captain, the game isn’t for me.

Everybody says Space Invaders Extreme is a great game (the guys on the Giant Bombcast have been talking it up big time, they’ve been playing the Japanese version). Any idea which is the better version to get? I actually prefer playing my DS to my PSP (better battery life, etc), but I’m guessing the PSP’s graphics might be better…Looking at gamespot’s review,
the PSP version doesn’t have online leaderboards, so maybe the DS is the way to go. It looks like the game is going to be hard to find locally for either system, I have about 5 Gamestop stores in a 3 mile radius from my apartment, and none of them have it in stock (some a little farther out seem to). bestbuy.com says it’s shipping next week.

Yay for Etrian Odyssey II!! Ship turned me onto the original Etrian Odyssey, and I knew when EOII was announced that I’d be jumping on it. I couldn’t find a copy of EOII locally, so I had to order it from amazon. It’s supposed to ship next week, which probably means I’m not going to actually play it until after I get through FFTA2, but I’m definitely looking forward to this one.

/tk
terpkristin
Find me on XBLA and PSN as terpkristin
Wii: 4059 1919 9282 7625
Now Playing: trying to go through the stack of games...
Trying to update the blog regularly.. http://gimpygal.blogspot.com
http://kristin.seidelmann-owners.com/

#34 Jonman

Jonman

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 June 2008 - 08:56 PM

Here's some bullet points for the back of the box for Imagine: Engineerz...

Play dress up! With over 18 different pairs of sandals that can be matched with 15 different pairs of socks.
Fill spreadsheets! Featuring a 100% accurate simulation of Microsoft Excel. VBA has never been so fun!
Impress your boss by correctly arranging the pens in your top pocket in alphabetical order of their color!
Panic when a surprise new team member turns out to be a woman!
Earn bonus points by submitting patents that your company will own instead of you!

#35 Tybee

Tybee

Rowsdower!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 June 2008 - 09:33 PM

Here's some bullet points for the back of the box for Imagine: Engineerz...

Play dress up! With over 18 different pairs of sandals that can be matched with 15 different pairs of socks.
Fill spreadsheets! Featuring a 100% accurate simulation of Microsoft Excel. VBA has never been so fun!
Impress your boss by correctly arranging the pens in your top pocket in alphabetical order of their color!
Panic when a surprise new team member turns out to be a woman!
Earn bonus points by submitting patents that your company will own instead of you!

lol...My wife, who is an engineer, enjoyed this.

Hey Ships (or anyone). Did we ever get any confirmation on the situation with achievements for player 2 in LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga? I read somewhere that both players are eligible for all achievements except story achievements (i.e., the ones you get for finishing each film). That doesn't seem like too big a deal, as you can usually get through a level pretty quick if you aren't focused on maxing out studs, finding red/gold blocks, etc.

#36 mrs. shipwreck

mrs. shipwreck

CAG Foreplayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 June 2008 - 09:41 PM

lol...My wife, who is an engineer, enjoyed this.

Hey Ships (or anyone). Did we ever get any confirmation on the situation with achievements for player 2 in LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga? I read somewhere that both players are eligible for all achievements except story achievements (i.e., the ones you get for finishing each film). That doesn't seem like too big a deal, as you can usually get through a level pretty quick if you aren't focused on maxing out studs, finding red/gold blocks, etc.

Uhhhhh, yeah. It doesn't seem like too big a deal until you FINALLY beat the game and finish the story, collect all the characters, and then only Mrs. Ship gets the achievements. :cry: So now we'll be playing it all again for Ship!
Posted Image

#37 LiK

LiK

Internet Superstar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 June 2008 - 10:47 PM

Uhhhhh, yeah. It doesn't seem like too big a deal until you FINALLY beat the game and finish the story, collect all the characters, and then only Mrs. Ship gets the achievements. :cry: So now we'll be playing it all again for Ship!

the perfect game for marriages :P
63362.png
Blog | Twitter
"You lazy f*ck!" - Artie Lange to CheapyD on 8/31/09

#38 GLOCKGLOCK

GLOCKGLOCK

Too many games...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 June 2008 - 04:37 PM

Ship & Mrs. Ship, thanks for answering my question about Operation Darkness. I think that despite the poor early reviews, it would be a game that I would try out once it has a price drop or two.

The demo reminded me slightly of the old X-com games (slow paced turn-based squad level combat), which by the way, someone really needs to do a remake of the xcom games.

I agree with your review that while the demo wasn't amazing, it didn't seem broken, which is the only reason I can see a game getting a 2/10 review score. The game has been out in Japan since last year so I wonder if it was reviewed poorly in Japan and the 2/10 was based on that as opposed to an actual review copy.

One problem with the demo I had was that if you used your bazookas on the soliders at the start of the level, you were screwed when the tanks showed. It was probably a poor choice of levels for the demo considering it took 30-45 min to get to that point of no return in the level and you probably weren't going to replay it from the beginning.

This one might be hard to find in stores though, but I'd definitely pick it up for the 15-20 range if it eventually gets clearanced because what is better than killing Nazis in videogames? Killing Nazi Zombies, Nazi Werewolves and Nazi Vampires!
How high is your True GamerScore? Join the CAG Leaderboard on TrueAchievements.com to find out!

Join the CAG GamerScore Whore Group here!

#39 ryoga79

ryoga79

Old Skool Cagger

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 June 2008 - 06:19 AM

The only thing that Apocalyse Now has over What's Opera Doc is "I love the smell of Napalm in the morning!" WOD is perhaps the best uses of Flight of the Valkeryies.

I recently got Monster Madness at Target for $5 and have yet to try it out, and now the migraine talking is making not even think that $5 is worth it. lol

Now I have to play catchup on Foreplay eps.
Games playing: Left 4 Dead2, Blur, Pokemon HeartGold
Wants: More cheapass blu-rays, hd-dvds & 360 games

DVD Collection
HD-DVD Collection
Blu-ray Collection
Game Collection (what's not in storage)
Trade List
Posted Image

#40 retrovertigo

retrovertigo

It's inexplicable!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 June 2008 - 05:19 PM

I'm a bit late to the party, seeing as the show is a week old now, but I just finished listening to it yesterday after coming back from a nice long vacation without Internet access.

As always, I enjoy listening to the discussion between Shipwreck and Mrs. Shipwreck, and am quite impressed that Mrs. Shipwreck can keep up with Ship's encyclopedia of (sometimes obscure) video games.

Listening to Ship talk about games and pull out all of these facts and details about them reminds me of Matt Pinfield from the mid-late 90s on MTV. This dude knew EVERYTHING about a whole lot of musical artists, and not just the popular ones at the time.

So, kudos to the man who's mind is a literal video game database, and the woman who can keep up with him, while at the same time not losing her mind trying to figure out why her husband remembers some of the oddest video game details. The brain is a weird and wondrous thing!

#41 Phryo88

Phryo88

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 June 2008 - 05:22 AM

I'm a bit late to the party, seeing as the show is a week old now, but I just finished listening to it yesterday after coming back from a nice long vacation without Internet access.

As always, I enjoy listening to the discussion between Shipwreck and Mrs. Shipwreck, and am quite impressed that Mrs. Shipwreck can keep up with Ship's encyclopedia of (sometimes obscure) video games.

Listening to Ship talk about games and pull out all of these facts and details about them reminds me of Matt Pinfield from the mid-late 90s on MTV. This dude knew EVERYTHING about a whole lot of musical artists, and not just the popular ones at the time.

So, kudos to the man who's mind is a literal video game database, and the woman who can keep up with him, while at the same time not losing her mind trying to figure out why her husband remembers some of the oddest video game details. The brain is a weird and wondrous thing!

Yeah, especially Ships lol. :)

#42 shipwreck

shipwreck

CAG Reviews Editor

• Super Moderators

Posted 26 June 2008 - 10:43 AM

New show will be up tonight/early tomorrow. Sorry about the delay, but work has been busy for both of us and with all the games that came out this week, we didn't want to just throw together a half-ass show.
"Red-Headed Pain In The Ass" - Wombat
Posted Image

#43 Tybee

Tybee

Rowsdower!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 June 2008 - 02:46 PM

Yeah, Ship's a regular video game oracle. Try listening to Bob Boilen, host of NPR's All Songs Considered (also a podcast, and one of my favorites). That guy's a frickin' encyclopedia of music, popular and obscure...I've found so many great artists through that show.

Ugh. I really do appreciate the Ships taking the extra time to make sure the show is the best it can be, but it's a logistical nightmare for me when they come out on Fridays. I've already got two other must-listen podcasts (one being the CAGcast) that come out on that day, and since I can only really listen during my commute, something inevitably gets neglected. Oh well. I guess these are good problems to have. ;)

#44 shipwreck

shipwreck

CAG Reviews Editor

• Super Moderators

Posted 27 June 2008 - 11:18 AM

In order to accommodate for Tybee's podcast listening habits, we just decided to roll in the few releases from next week and have a fresh show ready to go for next week's CAG 2.0 launch.
"Red-Headed Pain In The Ass" - Wombat
Posted Image

#45 terpkristin

terpkristin

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2008 - 12:00 PM

In order to accommodate for Tybee's podcast listening habits, we just decided to roll in the few releases from next week and have a fresh show ready to go for next week's CAG 2.0 launch.

On a normal game-release week, this might make me sad, because unlike Tybee, I know that there are other days to catch up on podcasts. ;) Luckily I have FFTA2 to distract me, so I'll let it slide this time. :D

/tk
terpkristin
Find me on XBLA and PSN as terpkristin
Wii: 4059 1919 9282 7625
Now Playing: trying to go through the stack of games...
Trying to update the blog regularly.. http://gimpygal.blogspot.com
http://kristin.seidelmann-owners.com/

#46 mriswyth

mriswyth

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2008 - 07:21 PM

DAMN YOU, TYBEE!!!! :D

#47 Tybee

Tybee

Rowsdower!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 June 2008 - 11:12 PM

Don't you put that evil on me, Ricky Bobby!

#48 Quintessence

Quintessence

The Darkness Consumes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 June 2008 - 04:52 AM

Oh well . . . hopefully the next show will be nice and long!

:bouncy: Free Cash and Prizes :bouncy:

Sign-up: PrizeRebel

100% free and quick to earn.