rpg

rjblazed

CAGiversary!
What is a good rpg out that is more of a final fantasy VII type rpg and not an online multiplayer one?

lunars and suikoden 1 ive seen quite often used at ebgames and gamestop. suikoden 2 is pretty rare, sometimes you might find it used for 40$ at a shop but usually its 80-100 on ebay

Is this playstation only? How about Final Fantasy 8 or 9, Xenogears, Chrono Cross, or even FF Anthology and Chronicles if you don't mind old school.

i'm looking for a pc rpg that is like a final fantasy not a console i only have gamecube not a great rpg console.

Yeah, Grandia 2 is good, especially for that price, but in general Final Fantasy type RPGs are a console affair. If you look around there were PC ports of Final Fantasy 7 and 8 though. Gamecube does have Skies of Arcadia Legends which is a great game, but if your really in to this type of game just give in and buy an old playstation. The final fantasy games alone should keep you busy for weeks.

yea i have skys of arcadia and i had the old playstation and final fantasy 7, 8 and 9. i really liked the final fantasys and i'm just looking for something like that to waste some time on my laptop but thanks for the ideas.

If you're looking for a Final Fantasy-type RPG you're not going to find much on the PC. They are not all that similar in gameplay styles. Console RPGs in general (from what I've seen) tend towards being more like movies, with a more linear path. PC RPGS tend to give the player more choices (quests, dialog, etc.). Just what I've noticed. Plus things like 'random battles' are almost exclusively in consoles.

Pc gaming and console gaming are two totally different beasts.

The only pc rpg's that you will find that resemble console rpg's are console ports.

I have played and would highly recommend Knights of the Old Republic. I would also recommend Icewind Dale 2. Oh and Breath Of Fire 4 is available on PC in Japan. Funny thing though is that the ported the English version.

Ive got Neverwinter nights and Icewind dale for pc if you interested, nothing like final fantasy but pretty awesome. Id trade for other pc or gc games.(or ff ps1 games)

an incredibly good and funny final fantasy type rpg on the pc is anachronox. it was made by warren spector and the now defunct ion storm. its one of the funniest games ive ever played. just have to say good luck tracking it down.

Fallout 1 and 2, and Planescape: Torment.

Along with the Baldur's Gate series, these are some of the best RPGs for the PC you'll find, and you can pick them up really cheap these days. They're not really FFVII-like, but they're still WELL worth your time if you haven't played them!!

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']an incredibly good and funny final fantasy type rpg on the pc is anachronox. it was made by warren spector and the now defunct ion storm. its one of the funniest games ive ever played. just have to say good luck tracking it down.[/quote]
Actually I think Anachronox was made by Tom Hall who left id Software the same time Romero did. But anyways Anachronox is a good console like RPG for the pc.

Temple of Elemental Evil was pretty good and if your looking for an RPG that is more Real-Time or RTS try Warcraft III. Warcraft III is a great mix of Action RPG and RTS elements,

[quote name='keithp']Fallout 1 and 2, and Planescape: Torment. [/quote]

I have to second that. Esppecially Torment, since some can argue that it's the greatest RPG ever made for any console.

But if you want a game for the PC that's "just like"Final Fantasy and consol RPG's in feel and play, pick up Septerra Core. It's not the greatest game, but it feels like a Japanese RPG and it's PC only. You can get it for under $5 at Amazon.com's secondary stores.

Septerra Core

For hack and Slash Icewind Dale is the way to go. Vampire the Masquerade Redemption is pretty good. Freedom Force is nice. More of a tactics game but there are some comparisons to games like FFT and the hero genre is unique.

I'm not sure if you knew, but FFVII is for PC too. Just a heads up.

Grandia and Baldur's Gate are good suggestions, too.

Pick up Neverwinter Nights plus its expansion packs. Though not like Final Fantasy, they are a ton of fun, and have nearly unlimited replay value because of the tons of adventures that people can make and put online using the toolset included with the game.

bread's done
Back