Contest (CAG Foreplay #47): Win Professor Layton (DS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

shipwreck

Staff member
Feedback
91 (100%)
As detailed in CAG Foreplay Podcast #47, CAG Robjus was kind enough to donate a copy of "Professor Layton and the Curious Village" for the DS.

Listen to the show for details on how to win (or just copy the trend that you see forming of those that actually listened)! Winner will be announced on the next CAG Foreplay. One winner will be chosen at random.

Good luck everyone and thanks again to Robjus.

I'm a riddle in nine syllables
An elephant, a ponderous house
A melon strolling on two tendrils
O red fruit, ivory, fine timber!
The loaf's big with its yeasty rising
Money's new minted in this fat purse
I'm a means, a stage, a cow in calf
I've eaten a bag of green apples
Boarded the train, there's no getting off

Answer

Pregnancy

Tear one off and scratch my head, what once was red is black instead.

A match.

riddler.jpg

A black dog is sleeping in the middle of a black road that has no streetlights and there is no moon. A car coming down the road with its lights off steers around the dog. How did the driver know the dog was there?

It was Daytime

How many times can you subtract the number 5 from 25?
Just once, after that you'd be subtracting 5 from 20

When I was going to St. Ives,
I met a man with seven wives.
Every wife had seven sacks,
in every sack were seven cats.
Every cat hat seven kittens.
Kittens, cats, sacks, wives,
How many were going to St. Ives?

[I don't know the spoiler button code]

Answer: one.

This thing all things devours:
Birds, beasts, trees, flowers;
Gnaws iron, bites steel;
Grinds hard stones to meal;
Slays king, ruins town,
And beats high mountain down.
Time

(English only... as far as I know)

Take a three letter word (one syllable), and add one letter to the end to make it three syllables.

Hint: The letter added to the end is the first letter of the original word.

Are --> Area

What can you put into a wooden barrel to make it lighter? The barrel has no lid and cannot be turned upside down.

A Hole

I created worlds when turned on, and oblivion when off.
Many played me like a harmonica but I made no music.
My simple lights and perspective created fond memories.
Today, I can be found within cardboard coffins with my robot friend.

What am I?

NES

What happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object?

The unstoppable force stops, and the immovable object moves.

Riddle stolen from an Iain Banks book...

It is a clear day with no rain. There is nothing to be sad about. Why is the man sad?

He didn't win Professor Layton for his DS.

[FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial][/FONT]
What cheese is made backwards?

edam

Ok. This one was horrible. I admit it.
[FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]How could I place a bookbag on the floor where no one could jump over it?[/FONT]

I really liked this one from Inside Man:

Which weighs more? All the trains that pass through Grand Central Station (New York City) in a year, or the trees cut down to print all US currency in circulation? Here's a hint. It's a trick question.

US Money isn't printed on paper - it's printed on cotton. Grand Central Station is a post office, Grand Central Terminal is the train station. Hence, both weigh the same - nothing

There are three light switches in the basement, one of which turns on the light upstairs From within the basement, you can't see the light, and it makes no sound. You must determine which switch operates the light, but you can only go upstairs once to check.

Hint, or lack thereof:
No, you cannot use an intricate system of mirrors ... or set up a streaming webcam ... or wire in an audible voltmeter ... or any other elaborate cheat.

Answer:
Flip one switch on and wait ten minutes. Flip it off, flip a different switch on and check the light. If it's on, it's switch #2. If it's off but warm (from having been on for ten minute), it's #1. Otherwise, #3.

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, what color is the tree?

All colors... (Hopefully someone else remembers the early Monkey Island games, and what a waste philosophy is)

Which is worse, hitting an imovable brick wall at 60 MPH or hitting a car head on that is the same as your car (size, shape, and weight) moving at 120 MPH while your car is moving 120 MPH?

They are equally as bad (or good if you want to die). I heard this on Car Talk (an NPR show), someone called in who was having an argument with his wife. He said they were both the same but his wife said it was worse at 120 MPH. The hosts said the the wife was right but a Harvard professor called in the next week and told them the husband was right. He gave a long formula but I forgot it. I was always bad at math:(

There are 2 ducks in front of 2 other ducks.
There are 2 ducks behind 2 other ducks.
There are 2 ducks beside 2 other ducks.
How many ducks are there?

There are four ducks
x x
x x

What book was once owned by only the wealthy, but now everyone can have it?
You can't buy it in a bookstore or take it from a library.

A Telephone Book.

What walks on four legs in the morning, 2 legs in the afternoon, and three legs at night?

A human.

there are two coins that add up to 30 cents. one of them is not a quarter. what are they?
a quarter and a nickel. one of them is not a quarter but the other one is

What can run but never walks, has a mouth but never talks, has a head but never weeps, has a bed but never sleeps?

A river.

I dig out tiny caves, and store gold and silver in them. I also build bridges of silver and make crowns of gold. They are the smallest you could imagine. Sooner or later everybody needs my help, yet many people are afraid to let me help them. Who am I?

A DENTIST silly

Stolen from Tin Cup:

A man's driving down the road with his son. He gets in a crash. Two ambulances come and they take the man and his son to different hospitals. The son goes into the operating room and the doctor looks at him and says, "I can't operate on this boy. He's my son." How is that possible?

The doctor is the son's mother

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back