Photo
- - - - -

CAG Foreplay #47: 2.0 Weeks of Releases (7/1/08)

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#31 mriswyth

mriswyth

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 July 2008 - 03:59 PM

EDIT: Also wanted to add that I completely agree with you (Mr. Ship) about Soul Calibur. While I had fun with the second game, I felt that each iteration was taken down a notch by arbitrarily adding extra characters from other properties. The first Soul Calibur is, and always shall be the superior title in the series.

I'm guessing this opinion depends on what version you played first. For me it was SoulCalibur II on the Gamecube. (My wife is a Link fangirl.) I downloaded the demo of 360 Arcade game and I didn't even make it through a fight. I swear my GameCube version looks better than this version and other wise it seemed like the same thing. Luckily my Wii still plays GameCube games.

#32 Richard

Richard

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 July 2008 - 07:06 PM

Yeah, it's not a bad as mindless brawlers go. For mrs. ship to enjoy it, it has to have something that makes it not boring. I'm not sure I can put my finger on it at the moment, but I know both she and I can tell if a game has the "fun factor" pretty quickly.

We'll see if Spider-Man Friend or Foe cuts the mustard, as that one is sitting in the cabinet awaiting its turn to shine.

Spider-Man Friend or Foe is repetitive and bland. That being said I did finish the game with the wife but there was no way for her to get the achievements without us starting a new game with her gamertag first. The game is shortish which is a plus.

#33 TheEyecon

TheEyecon

Red Sox Pride!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 July 2008 - 09:03 PM

Great show ships
Posted Image

#34 Gillespee

Gillespee

Super Mario Striker!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 July 2008 - 07:39 PM

Spider-Man Friend or Foe is repetitive and bland. That being said I did finish the game with the wife but there was no way for her to get the achievements without us starting a new game with her gamertag first. The game is shortish which is a plus.

That's pretty much the definition of a brawler - repetive (though bland I suppose is subjective.) Spidey FoF doesn't have the complex combos that Batman: RoST has, and I always got a little satisfaction nailing the longest combo in that game, but there's still plenty of ways to web up/punch/throw around bad guys for my taste. My wife and I don't really care about nerd points, so that doesn't bug us, however, I can see that being a real downer for couples who are interested. You'd think this would be standard in all co-op games now, it's not like achievements are a brand new thing.

Ship - You talked about Dr. Mario on the Wii a few weeks ago and mentioned that the Wii controls weren't anything to write home about. I agree for the most part, however, the one plus to the "new" Wiimote controlled version is that it can be played by four players. There's still not quite enough for 4 people to do, but I've had fun with family and friends on that one. We have fun yelling at each other for mistakes and the other cool thing is that you can also control the single pieces that fall. For example:

yb

y
y
yr

When the yellows dissapear anyone can grab onto the remaining blue piece and pull it where you want it.

*b
*r

So, instead of just letting it fall on top of the red, you can move it left or right (not up of course) and place it where you want it - next to the red for example.

rb

Again, for single player mode, it's not great, but if you have more than two people, it's a fun way to have more people involved.

Edited by Gillespee, 06 July 2008 - 07:41 PM.

#35 eliter1

eliter1

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 July 2008 - 09:12 PM

Great show as always, was it just me or did Mrs. Ship voice sound a little different?
Posted Image

#36 chim-chim

chim-chim

Posted 07 July 2008 - 04:05 AM

I hate to be that guy, but Magnetica Twist is the original and Zuma is the knock-off. It was originally called Puzz Loop in Japan.

#37 Madtrixr

Madtrixr

Posted 08 July 2008 - 10:01 AM

I just think it's awesome that shipwreck has a cat named iPod.

#38 shipwreck

shipwreck

CAG Reviews Editor

• Super Moderators

Posted 08 July 2008 - 08:44 PM

I hate to be that guy, but Magnetica Twist is the original and Zuma is the knock-off. It was originally called Puzz Loop in Japan.

Don't worry, you're not the only one that brought it up. Unless you are the guy that emailed us too. Then you were that guy twice. ;)

Great show as always, was it just me or did Mrs. Ship voice sound a little different?

We had some major recording issues that actually ate a good 5 minute chunk out of the show. Due to this, the recording quality was a little sketchy in parts. I'm still not sure what caused the error, but there was an obscene amount of editing just to get this show listenable and out.
"Red-Headed Pain In The Ass" - Wombat
Posted Image

#39 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 July 2008 - 10:31 PM

Good show as always guys but I have two general .. wishes .. I guess would be the appropriate term:

1. I would love it if the show could get two mics in a less "echoey" room. It always seem that Shipwreck's voice comes across way louder than Ms. Shipwrecks. I had to stop listening at work because of this due to having the volume at a level that I can hear what Ms. Shipwreck is saying and then it goes to much louder talking. I assume there's only one mic that the two of you have to share and one is backed off of it.

2. I'd also enjoy it if you guys could do a show on Tuesday. It would space out the distance between the CAGcast and Foreplay and I wouldn't have to jones so much. :lol:

Posted Image

#40 shipwreck

shipwreck

CAG Reviews Editor

• Super Moderators

Posted 08 July 2008 - 11:05 PM

Good show as always guys but I have two general .. wishes .. I guess would be the appropriate term:

1. I would love it if the show could get two mics in a less "echoey" room. It always seem that Shipwreck's voice comes across way louder than Ms. Shipwrecks. I had to stop listening at work because of this due to having the volume at a level that I can hear what Ms. Shipwreck is saying and then it goes to much louder talking. I assume there's only one mic that the two of you have to share and one is backed off of it.

2. I'd also enjoy it if you guys could do a show on Tuesday. It would space out the distance between the CAGcast and Foreplay and I wouldn't have to jones so much. :lol:

Wish 1, granted. I'll put in an order for another mic very soon. I don't think the room is the problem.

Wish 2, granted. Well, also in the near future. Obviously that's not going to happen this week.

Saving your third wish for later?
Posted Image

#41 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 July 2008 - 11:06 PM

World peace :whee:

Posted Image

#42 shipwreck

shipwreck

CAG Reviews Editor

• Super Moderators

Posted 08 July 2008 - 11:53 PM

World peace :whee:

Feeling kind of groggy right now. Maybe after my nap?
Posted Image

#43 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 July 2008 - 11:56 PM

Well, how about I just change my wish. I wish you'd take a nap.

Posted Image

#44 shipwreck

shipwreck

CAG Reviews Editor

• Super Moderators

Posted 09 July 2008 - 02:48 AM

Well, how about I just change my wish. I wish you'd take a nap.

Oh, don't try that. I know that your true third wish was for us to have a power outage minutes prior to recording this week's show. At least you were nice enough to cut the power before we started recording, that would have just been evil to do it halfway through the show.

That's right, everyone, it's Maklershed's fault that the show will be recorded tomorrow now.
Posted Image

#45 shipwreck

shipwreck

CAG Reviews Editor

• Super Moderators

Posted 09 July 2008 - 11:47 PM

Should be recording this week's show pretty soon here, but just wanted to say that a second mic is on its way and should be here by the time I'm back from E3.
Posted Image

#46 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

How shiny are your balls?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2008 - 12:07 AM

That's not enough. It needs to be here right now. You fail.

#47 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 July 2008 - 02:05 PM

Oh, don't try that. I know that your true third wish was for us to have a power outage minutes prior to recording this week's show. At least you were nice enough to cut the power before we started recording, that would have just been evil to do it halfway through the show.

That's right, everyone, it's Maklershed's fault that the show will be recorded tomorrow now.

Posted Image

Posted Image