Arkanoid (+ Space Invaders) DS Paddle: $27+s/h

heghei555

CAGiversary!
This is only kind of a deal, but it's the cheapest I've found it since the US release of the game (and the non-release of the paddle domestically) was announced, since Taito seems to have made a small new run of the controller:
http://www.ncsxshop.com/cgi-bin/shop/TCPP-20018.html

They don't list Priority Mail with delivery confirmation as an option anymore as they had problems with it, but they've always been willing to use it when I've requested it in the note section (and always charge me less for it than UPS ground; it was $5.25 for me on this; as I've been buying from them for years, always with USPS, and never had a lost package, it's possible new buyers might not be able to get USPS shipping).

Even with $8 UPS ground shipping, it's $10 cheaper than the total cost of importing from any of the sellers in Asia I've seen offer it.

Note this is just for the paddle. The US Arkanoid game will run you $20 normally (NCS has it marked up a bit; you're better off getting it at Amazon with filler for shipping). The black controller seems sold out again. NCS had had pink controllers long after the others had sold out previously, but if you want the white or siilver, don't wait around. Space Invaders Extreme also supposedly supports the paddle.

The paddle is amazing with Space Invaders Extreme. It makes the game a lot easier in some ways since you can spin your way out of danger. On the other hand, the paddle made me try for harder combos and better scores.

Arkanoid DS was not that great. Space Invaders Extreme was worth every penny, but Arkanoid DS was not much of an update. I played the import version (as I got it through Play-Asia) and it wasn't anything new, fun, or special. I was disappointed that with all of the breakout clones in the past 10 years or more that there was very little done with it.

Oh man...I read that title and thought you got Arkanoid, Space Invaders and the paddle for that price! lol /facepalm

[quote name='rpepper']Oh man...I read that title and thought you got Arkanoid, Space Invaders and the paddle for that price! lol /facepalm[/quote]

Me too, I just bought that paddle from NCS this weekend along with Band Brothers DX ($47), and SIX the week before from BB ($15 with coupon), glad to hear I didn't pay more than I had to :D

i bought my gf one of these through NCSX last week. UPS Ground was $8.60. from New York to Chicago, it only took 3 days.

oh yeah, you can't use the paddle in multiplayer (local or wireless). not a big deal, but just so you know.

Has anyone tested multiplayer with all participatants attempting to use the paddle?
Or will it just fail whenever the paddle is connected?

thanks op! very interested in this.

although, I think I will wait for the last shipment so I can get a black one to match my ds lite :)

[quote name='heghei555']Has anyone tested multiplayer with all participatants attempting to use the paddle?
Or will it just fail whenever the paddle is connected?[/quote]

no it won't work at all. i have the paddle controller and so does my gf. we were gonna try out the multiplayer.

when you choose MULTIPLAYER, it tells you that you can't use the paddle. you have to go to OPTIONS and turn it off if it's connected in order to play multiplayer. and that's even before you choose local or wireless play.

[quote name='smoger']so wait, the paddle DOES work with the NA version of these games?[/quote]

yes it does. i got the paddle with the Japanese version of Arkanoid DS. i couldn't read the "story" in Arkanoid. so to be safe, i bought the US version of Space Invaders and the paddle works.

man, i just bought a paddle off ebay for 35 shipped...

edit: oh i guess thats not so bad, since this doesn't include shipping.

[quote name='typeRJ']yes it does. i got the paddle with the Japanese version of Arkanoid DS. i couldn't read the "story" in Arkanoid. so to be safe, i bought the US version of Space Invaders and the paddle works.[/QUOTE]

Ah, just what I needed to know. +1 silver.

Thanks for the info. Just placed an order for a white on. I was going to get the import controller set with the game but wanted the US version of the games.

I'm going to wing it and risk on the last shipment for a black paddle. If I can't get my hand on that then I can live with the game's rubble pack support.

[quote name='fatez']doh, they are out of black paddles. :\[/quote]

i bought my black one from japan, on ebay for a little under $40 shipped. I wasn't home to sign for the package today, so i'll have it tomorrow.

So it does work with the NA versions? Sweet. I remember DS Fanboy saying the paddle didn't work with the Arkanoid demo, so I thought it implied the NA versions didn't have paddle support.

[quote name='rpepper']Oh man...I read that title and thought you got Arkanoid, Space Invaders and the paddle for that price! lol /facepalm[/quote]

Damn I thought the same thing, I was gonna pick all these up for my mom to go along with the DS I just bought for her. :bomb:

Damn! They ship fast! I got mine already. I only ordered yesterday morning. So much for the 14-day long shipping period.

Now that I've ordered the paddle, maybe I should actually buy Space Invaders Extreme for DS.

People LOVE that game, BTW. Holy crap, the Amazon reviews are 5-star virtually across the board (I know it's just Amazon, but you NEVER see that).

[quote name='silks']Now that I've ordered the paddle, maybe I should actually buy Space Invaders Extreme for DS.

People LOVE that game, BTW. Holy crap, the Amazon reviews are 5-star virtually across the board (I know it's just Amazon, but you NEVER see that).[/quote]

Even though the game has been out over a 2 weeks or so now I had a hard time finding it in a B&M store. Toy's R Us was out, Target was out, EBGameStop only had "opened" copies. :booty:

Also rumble support is pretty good compared to other DS game that uses it. At times it was almost like playing Rez on the DS :)

I second that fast shipping remark, imacgod. Color me impressed.
I also guess I'm going to have to work on the paddle with Space Invaders Extreme (it truly is a grrrreat game -Tony Tiger). I'm not as precise with it as I am with the D-pad. I just haven't found my "groove" when it comes to holding the DS, shooting, and moving the paddle. Any tips on how to better my experience would be greatly appreciated.
Either way, it was well worth the cash for the thing. Now to see if it actually makes Arkanoid an enjoyable experience for me (I hated/was bored with the demo, using the D-pad).
Thanks again for this, OP.

This thread makes me want to add Space Invaders to my Goozex want list, thanks OP.

FYI: Play-asia had the paddles for $19.99 + shipping ($4?) before they sold completely out...perhaps one day they'll get them back in stock.

EDIT: Ouch, nevermind: Space Invaders Extreme = 600 points (ie: $30 virtual bucks).

The day it goes on sale for $15 or 2/$30 it's mine (along with Arkanoid if I must)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='heyo007']I second that fast shipping remark, imacgod. Color me impressed.
I also guess I'm going to have to work on the paddle with Space Invaders Extreme (it truly is a grrrreat game -Tony Tiger). I'm not as precise with it as I am with the D-pad. I just haven't found my "groove" when it comes to holding the DS, shooting, and moving the paddle. Any tips on how to better my experience would be greatly appreciated. [/quote]

i find putting the ds on a table makes it a lot easier for me.

bread's done
Back