Is anyone else tired of the trolls?

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#61 Kaijufan

Kaijufan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 December 2004 - 02:10 AM

Getting rid of some of the trolls would be nice.
Posted Image

#62 Scrubking

Scrubking

Feels the Force

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 December 2004 - 02:15 AM

If you want a really good example of what it really means, look back about a month or so to when there was a temporary ban on OTTs. All of the OTTers got pissed off, and would go into any random thread and start random conversation. I remember when people would point out this out, and they were met with a "we don't care" or a "shut up". You think that this behavior is any more acceptable than DDFs posts, or that anybody who did that is any less a troll?

When did this happen? All of those people should have been BANNED for causing such a major disruption.

Good thing I stay away from the OT board.

Is that why you're so uptight? Maybe you should vent OT a little. All these serious posts and hanging around the political forum has you wound tighter than a knock-off Rolex. Do I need to make you an avatar or something? Show the SK a little love so he's not all grinchy?

Do you really take anything that anyone says in the VS thread Serious? That is where the REAL fun is at. :wink:

Gameplay is what makes a game worth playing - not story or graphics

MY SITE

#63 CaseyRyback

CaseyRyback

Your New Nightmare!

• Super Moderators

Posted 21 December 2004 - 02:28 AM

anyone remember when Scrubking and Defender would get into it and Defender would always talk about Scrubking's sig.?

For some reason I could not help but think of this while reading this thread

Posted Image

#64 RBM

RBM

do I look like I'm joking

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 December 2004 - 04:40 PM

http://news.bbc.co.u...ine/4114497.stm

This article is titled: "The right to be downright offensive" from BBC News.
Seemed appropriate to quote it in this thread.

"It's damaging that people see free expression simply as a right to cause offence," says Mr Mullin. "The right to freedom of speech is still relatively new and we are like adolescents, insufficiently mature in how we should use it.

"But censorship is never the answer. Whatever offence people at the margins seek to cause, you have to trust that there are enough people at the core of society who will not be swayed to the extremes."

[edit: I do not suggest that people have some right to post obnoxious messages on this site. I do, however, hope folks will realize that what we're dealing with here also takes place on a much larger scale, with the same reactions being expressed in art museums, bookstores, etc. I'm sure some folks decide to abandon those institutions when they're unable to deal with such friction, as well.]

#65 dtcarson

dtcarson

No cute in-joke here.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 December 2004 - 04:49 PM

There's a difference.
I support the right to free speech, including the right too offend. [All too often, that leads to 'the right to be thought of as a dumbass', but that's another story.]
But I also support the right of a private owner of a business, choosing how to run his business.
This is CheapyD's site. There is no constitutional protection, real or implied, to speak on it. If he decides to ban anyone who trolls, or posts spam, or uses the word 'Quixotic', that's his choice/right, and I'm pretty sure there's something to that effect in the ToS.
I'm generally against doing that kind of thing, I prefer letting the dumbasses prove themselves to be dumbasses, but that generally requires that every one else ignore them and not feed their need for attention, which is not happening. But I do support the right for him to do that.
It's like at my office, the employees just put together a little newsletter to send out. They have a bit of free rein in it, but if they started saying things like 'This company sucks!' in it, I support the right of the company to censor that. The words can still be said, just not on company property, during company time, using company materiel.

#66 punqsux

punqsux

1K posts & all I got was this lousy rank

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 December 2004 - 04:54 PM

We should bann people who use the term "thread crapper".

we should change your rank to "thread crapper"
:wink:

#67 MorbidAngel4Life

MorbidAngel4Life

Down with the Clown.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 December 2004 - 09:13 AM

(to paraphrase Peyton manning) Let's go Bannings, Let's go!
Get free Microsoft Points, Amazon gift cards, and more on Points2Shop!
http://points2shop.c...banners/3270175